• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August II 2014 - Kept you waiting, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
So the CoD Definitive collection includes every damn thing available on Steam except Advanced Warfare.

And this 50% off is in addition to everything else that is 50% off. Now for a guy like me that doesn't own a single damn CoD, is this the time to strike or am I better holding off until the Winter sale?
It's $200, 99.9% of it is DLC (no hyperbole there!) and it charges you extra for a Mac version you'll probably never play (or, if you are an Apple guy, you'll pay for a useless Windows-only game). Unless you are dying to play these games, I'd wait until Activision is about to close and decides to put them at 75% off as a last resort. Or just chech to see if the games are cheaper individually without DLC, I don't know.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I try not to enter giveaways, as I already have games for several lifetimes to play, it's just... sometimes temptation is too much. Probably I need to ask Jasec to teach me how to level up my resistance to temptations. (><)

I don't enter giveaways because I'd feel bad if I won.

I don't enter junk giveaways because someone might actually want to play the games; I don't enter licensed game giveaways for the same reason; and I don't enter giveaways for games I'm genuinely interested in since I can buy them for myself.

Enco

Ever since I won the ultimate giveaway I've looked past ones that are posted.

Even if it's something I want (like PvZ), I would feel really bad if I won. It's not like I'm struggling to find good games.

saunderez

I'm pretty much at that stage now too. At first it was all "fill the gaps in my library" but now that I've done that to a degree I'm happy with I can't really bring myself to do it. Still pretty stoked I won Shadow of Mordor in Shadownets big giveaway though. That's one game I probably wouldn't have bought myself due to being overwhelmed with games but am excited to play.

I'm now at the stage where I enjoy giving away games more than I enjoy winning them for myself. Getting all the thankyous after a big bundle fodder giveaway makes me feel pretty good.

Arthea

but you see... I feel bad too, wanting to play and being able to are two different matters entirely, and I want to play pretty much everything I buy, or plan to, even if I know that's totally not possible.
Don't see how that is that different from you wanting to own everything, even if you don't plan to play it, because you know, results are often the same in the end. ;)

Aw gawd, I'm actually kinda interested in this game, mostly because the original PvZ is one of my favorite games ever, but I promised to myself a lot of stuff regarding this:
1) do not fucking indulge on Popcap after they sold-out to EA;
2) do not fuckign play PvZ 2 because it's pay to win;
3) do not fucking play anything PvZ related anymore because there's a bug on Steam Cloud that if you play the original PvZ it on a Mac, you cannot use the saves on Windows anymore (as the game just crashes on loading);
3) do not fucking open an account on Origin.

DAMN YOU ETHICS
You're not missing much, so stick to your guns.

Arthea

You're not missing much, so stick to your guns.

talking about not missing much. How many of you plan to buy DA Inquisition? Just curious, how EA plans to sell it at that price and on origin only. I'm surely not buying it, at least not at 70 or even 60€ price. That's downright ridiculous.

Tizoc

Eh Ethics, morals, standards...these things we can end up twisting and ignoring and comfort outslves by saying we did as an 'exception' or because it was 'situational'.
I say get the game you want, have fun, ad don't leave your CC details in the client.

JaseC

Another day, another (upcoming) simulator game... this time with Steam Workshop support!

app_workshop_banner_english.png

Create and upload new mods to add vehicles and missions to work on your very own construction site in Construction Simulator 2015.

Releases in November.

talking about not missing much. How many of you plan to buy DA Inquisition? Just curious, how EA plans to sell it at that price and on origin only. I'm surely not buying it, at least not at 70 or even 60&#8364; price. That's downright ridiculous.

I'll buy it for sure, but probaby in a year or two when its 15&#8364;

Dr Dogg

but you see... I feel bad too, wanting to play and being able to are two different matters entirely, and I want to play pretty much everything I buy, or plan to, even if I know that's totally not possible.
Don't see how that is that different from you wanting to own everything, even if you don't plan to play it, because you know, results are often the same in the end. ;)

Well everyone situation is different, including certain factors in life that are easy to over look. I mean I'm might act like I'm living in an ivory tower sometimes but I like to feel I have a little empathy to when I was a skint or had fallen on hard times. Here's something I posted in the last thread about accepting gifts and has kind of been the reasoning behind me not entering giveaways too.

But it's each to their own, you might feel differently but that's fine that's your choice and how you feel and unless it's ethically questonable then there's nothing wrong with that at all. Same for anyone else I guess.

milena87

talking about not missing much. How many of you plan to buy DA Inquisition? Just curious, how EA plans to sell it at that price and on origin only. I'm surely not buying it, at least not at 70 or even 60€ price. That's downright ridiculous.

I'm not planning to buy DAI. I might have bought it if the CE was of better quality and if there was no MP. After all, I preordered The Witcher 3 CE for 122€.

But 60-70€ for the digital game alone (with possibly some DLCs) is a no-no for me. The fact that is Origin only isn't helping of course.

I'll buy it when it reaches <10€

saunderez

Awesome giveaway, dude. Best shooter this year.

I already own it so I didn't enter but I hope whoever wins enjoys it.

We'll have to line up a Steam-GAF game some time. Might be hard with all the timezones but it'd be a change from playing with all my local mates on PS4.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of DocSeuss, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (DocSeuss, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
NBA 2K14 -- MB-0DC20F393A0723CA - Taken by saunderez. 19 entrants total.

t1409310865z1.png

JaseC

Been away on vacation for 2 weeks .
what did i miss and why did Half life 2 get an update ?

Inb4 Half life 3 arg.

The game hasn't been patched in about three months, but all the recent history activity on SteamDB is due to VR work.

Changed Depots 10 days ago

250821/maxsize: 25373632 (24.20 MB) › 19959796 (19.04 MB) (diff = -5.16 MB)
250822/maxsize: 18568402 (17.71 MB) › 5882410 (5.61 MB) (diff = -12.10 MB)
250823/maxsize: 40294329 (38.43 MB) › 26993900 (25.74 MB) (diff = -12.68 MB)
250824/maxsize: 9622909 (9.18 MB) › 8279054 (7.90 MB) (diff = -1.28 MB)
250821 OpenVR Win32 19.04 MB Shared Install
250822 OpenVR OSX 5.61 MB Shared Install
250823 OpenVR Linux 25.74 MB Shared Install
250824 OpenVR Content 7.90 MB Shared Install

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of General_Frags, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (General_Frags, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Star Wolves 3: Civil War -- MB-1A615FB099A87609 - Taken by Leg-End. 2 entrants total.
LEVEL 22, Gary's Misadventures -- MB-180FA7A5A6BF1BD9 - Taken by jfredsilva. 2 entrants total.
Gravity Badgers -- MB-9FCD5F61CD675291
QuestRun -- MB-17737F7115C59CAC - Taken by Pakkidis. 1 entrants total.
Oil Rush -- MB-07E9669CD08B1E29
Metro 2033 -- MB-60AB82AAEA29E2F5 - Taken by bluechox2. 1 entrants total.
Galactic Arms Race -- MB-F977BFAA9180DD81
Metro 2033 #2 -- MB-8E1EB0A6AF7C2ABE - Taken by Henry Swanson. 2 entrants total.
King's Bounty: Warriors of the North -- MB-2A3D77EFA4543E37 - Taken by fernandes. 5 entrants total.

t1409351604z1.png

Arthea

Yes, both Origin and GOG offers a refund policy.

On GOG you have 30 days to ask for a refund in case you didn't download the game.
Otherwise if the game is simply bugged and GOG can't fix it for you, they will state a refund.

Can't remember the terms of Origin, but they have a refund policy too.

I think gog changed their policy not long ago, that they guarantee the game running for you, if not, you can get refund.

JaseC

Can't remember the terms of Origin, but they have a refund policy too.

In addition to the typical policy of allowing refunds on pre-orders, EA also grants refunds if you've played a game but submitted a refund request within 24 hours of first launch or you haven't played it but submitted a refund request within seven days of purchase; however, this policy is limited to EA's own games and therefore doesn't apply to third-party stuff.

Arthea

I guess it depends on the perspective... :D

I don't think it's really matter of perspective. Didn't they lose half of their staff after acquisition? If they were to sold out, they would have included some safeguards, one would think.

The C in JaseC stands for kruelty

You won't believe what he did to my Steam account a few days ago

tell me more, I need to document this for future generations

fantomena

In addition to the typical policy of allowing refunds on pre-orders, EA also grands refunds if you've played a game but submitted a refund request within 24 hours of first launch or you haven't played it but submitted a refund request within seven days of purchase; however, this policy is limited to EA's own games and therefore doesn't apply to third-party stuff.

Still better than Steams fucktarded refund policy.

I like Valve, but when they do bullshit or have shitty policies, I easily call them out.

Man, been away from gaf and laptop as a whole for more than a day and it was really bad. I think I have an addiction.
Doc and rhaknar are back and Monk is posting, too? That's nice. Only know Doc from my lurker times but I know he likes fps so that's already a plus in my book. Didn't know he's in the movie business though. That's what now, three gaffers in the business? JaseC, DocSeuss and salsa. Also, happy birthday salsa. Man so much to catch up on. JaseC's avatar is great and... argh, I'll just dribble replies to old stuff.
Glad that I am back here.

Copons

I don't think it's really matter of perspective. Didn't they lose half of their staff after acquisition? If they were to sold out, they would have included some safeguards, one would think.

Uhm, I went to check on Wiki, and apparently:

- EA bought Popcap in July 2011 for $650M + $100M stock option;
- in August 2012 Popcap laid off 50 employees "to address a shift to mobile and free-to-play games", then closed its Dublin studio in Semptember 2012;
- in March 2014 they "terminated an unspecified number of employees".

So I dunno, could it also be read like they sold it and run away with the money? :D

The bigger news here is that the ACCC actually has teeth. But good on 'em. Valve's refund policy has always been needlessly restrictive. Like, why can I receive refunds on pre-orders but not unused gifts? The kicker is that the auto-refund feature is supposed to apply to them:

refundy8fax.jpg

I pointed this out to Valve when asking for a refund on three spares, stating that I'd be fine with Steam Wallet credit, but was still denied.

Were you at least given an explanation for the inconsistency?

Deques

- in August 2012 Popcap laid off 50 employees "to address a shift to mobile and free-to-play games", then closed its Dublin studio in Semptember 2012;

So I dunno, could it also be read like they sold it and run away with the money? :D

Could be that EA bought PopCap, and gradually kills it

Arthea

it's unbecoming for you to be so cynical Copons, not to mention you are appropriating my avocation!

Could be that EA bought PopCap, and gradually kills it

that's how I see it, yes

Anyone with a slight interest in VN should play Katawa Shoujo, it's a free download from the devs site. http://www.katawa-shoujo.com/
The game is really well done, each character has a distinc personality and all of them are charming in their own way, the music is really nice too and the art is decent enough.
Also the game is tablet friendly, I'm playing it on my W8.1 tablet and it works fine with touch controls.
Great tip. That game has been on my radar for a long time. Btw I tried reverse-searching your avatar but I only get links to gaf. Where's that from?
--
That's pretty expensive for such old games. But the MP of CoD looks like so much mindless fun. If only BLOPS2 would get discounted like all the other games on Steam. Does this keep-high-price tactic even work out for Activsion?

JaseC

Man, been away from gaf and laptop as a whole for more than a day and it was really bad. I think I have an addiction.
Doc and rhaknar are back and Monk is posting, too? That's nice. Only know Doc from my lurker times but I know he likes fps so that's already a plus in my book. Didn't know he's in the movie business though. That's what now, three gaffers in the business? JaseC, DocSeuss and salsa. Also, happy birthday salsa.

I'm not there yet. I recently thought of a great plan, though: make a film for WB and agree to take a salary cut for a WB Games sub key. Terminator and Wanted, here I come!

Man so much to catch up on. JaseC's avatar is great and... argh, I'll just dribble replies to old stuff.
Glad that I am back here.

<3

That's pretty expensive for such old games. But the MP of CoD looks like so much mindless fun. If only BLOPS2 would get discounted like all the other games on Steam. Does this keep-high-price tactic even work out for Activsion?

If it did, the bundles wouldn't exist. ;)

aku:jiki

I think their strategy is the opposite, "never devalue such a successful franchise". It's going to bite them in the ass now that CoD is waning heavily, though. If they want to keep squeezing money out of that franchise, they're gonna have to adapt.

And, by the way, MW1 is genuinely one of the best FPS games ever, MW2 is great fun but a little stupid and over-the-top, and MW3 is one of the most disappointing sequels ever made. I actually played 3 last night and I hate literally every single fucking thing about it, BO2 is the best game in the series since MW1.

And, by the way, MW1 is genuinely one of the best FPS games ever, MW2 is great fun but a little stupid and over-the-top, and MW3 is one of the most disappointing sequels ever made. I actually played 3 last night and I hate literally every single fucking thing about it, BO2 is the best game in the series since MW1.
I like MW2's single player than the first one, however the multiplayer sucks dick. Stupid perk and map design, balancing issues, and the god-awful IW.net, laggy, unstable, one out of three matches I played required a host migration.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of an anonymous benefactor, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys and 21 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

ulgzbKC.png
SPLATTER (Desura) -- MB-60EF220BDB7EE77A
ulgzbKC.png
OOZI EARTH ADVENTURE (Desura) -- MB-2384DC7D0C3B5E7A - Taken by crazyrabbits. 1 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
PROJECT NIGHT (Desura) -- MB-D9F25FF058EDE3E7
ulgzbKC.png
FAIRY BLOOM FREESIA (Desura) -- MB-7C8683D876157143 - Taken by gngf123. 1 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
ALTEREGO DREAMWALKER (Desura) -- MB-0CE037405C069F46 - Taken by WinterDemons
ulgzbKC.png
SUPER PANDA ADVENTURES (Desura) -- MB-8952FF7E89F93281
ulgzbKC.png
LAST KNIGHT (Desura) -- MB-6D7484240EEAFA5F - Taken by anastef. 1 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
LIFE OF PIXEL (Desura) -- MB-CFBBF1D3ED23C3DF - Taken by Teppic. 1 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
BATTLEMASS (Desura) -- MB-B115F6A71478D94F - Taken by Pudge. 1 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
LOVE Plus (Desura) -- MB-265F82C206255678 - Taken by Henry Swanson
ulgzbKC.png
FURRY 2 ULTIMATE EDITION (Desura) -- MB-F2A64049A479095A - Taken by WinterDemons
ulgzbKC.png
UNDERRAIL (Desura) -- MB-4006E548EBB2D2EF - Taken by Jrdan. 1 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
CHOMPY CHOMP CHOMP (Desura) -- MB-CA3F174267A86B78 - Taken by Jason Frost
ulgzbKC.png
LITTLE GARDENS (Desura) -- MB-68548E2B16A54C1D - Taken by WinterDemons
ulgzbKC.png
ELEUSIS (Desura) -- MB-133838DDFE0B0A29 - Taken by redlacs
BATTLEPATHS -- MB-AE1F806456B8E9FA
ulgzbKC.png
PARTICULARS (Desura) -- MB-1B8AC0C8933492D1
Thief Gold -- MB-0369ED116AFB9B1A - Taken by rrvv. 4 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
DAWN OF FANTASY (Desura) -- MB-D17269BD71EE86AD - Taken by Jason Frost
ulgzbKC.png
BIK (Desura) -- MB-3C151956E9F28D55 - Taken by WinterDemons
ulgzbKC.png
FORCELINE (Desura) -- MB-1357040C9DC08A56 - Taken by SSPssp
ulgzbKC.png
RADICAL ROACH (Desura) -- MB-669D948CDBEACD12
ulgzbKC.png
8BIT COMMANDO (Desura) -- MB-C1FCE551A990C252 - Taken by Zero-Crescent

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for SPLATTER (Desura) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for OOZI EARTH ADVENTURE (Desura) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for PROJECT NIGHT (Desura) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for FAIRY BLOOM FREESIA (Desura) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for ALTEREGO DREAMWALKER (Desura) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for SUPER PANDA ADVENTURES (Desura) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for LAST KNIGHT (Desura) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for BATTLEMASS (Desura) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for LOVE Plus (Desura) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for UNDERRAIL (Desura) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for CHOMPY CHOMP CHOMP (Desura) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for LITTLE GARDENS (Desura) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for ELEUSIS (Desura) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for BATTLEPATHS was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for PARTICULARS (Desura) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Thief Gold was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for DAWN OF FANTASY (Desura) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for FORCELINE (Desura) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for RADICAL ROACH (Desura) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for 8BIT COMMANDO (Desura) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1409314225z1.png

aku:jiki

I like MW2's single player than the first one, however the multiplayer sucks dick. Stupid perk and map design, balancing issues, and the god-awful IW.net, laggy, unstable, one out of three matches I played required a host migration.
Ridiculous! MW2 maps are pretty much perfection for the series.

The problem, if there is one, is that it can get too chaotic for some people and it's a damn shame that One Man Army was never patched on any platform (I think?).

Ryne

Won a ton of stuff recently, and I have a bit of extra money. Enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ryne, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Dead Rising 3 Apocalypse Edition -- MB-6899EAF148C20510 - Taken by Volimar. 122 entrants total.

t1409397085z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom