• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Autumn Sale Thread 2013 - 3% Discounts Sale but no Shark

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBear

Any better deals on Far Cry 3 & Metro Last Light?
Also, I already have Blood Dragon, are they wildly different? (aside from tone)

Teknoman

Add Teknoman if you ever need someone else for Killing Floor or Contagion. Contagion feels like it's got potential, but going solo isnt the way to go at all lol.

Does the deluxe edition of Far Cry 3 break the game, as in do you get any weapons the are too good for the beginning or should i juts buy the normal edition? Are the extra missions any good?

This is what a game gets for being subtle and more abou characterization and loving details than about grande ideas.

Stanley Parable is cute. Dear Esther is conceptually well realized but cold and academic. Gone Home is human and personal and lovingly embedded in a group of people's lives at a particular place and time in their history.

Yeah. But, at least for me, it lacked somehow the atmosphere the other "walking simulators" had.

I got the story and even then it wasnt really good, I would say. It was just "look at this family and their problems/past". I really was sucked in when I played Dear Esther and Stanley Parable, but when I played Gone Home I havent felt anything, since I was just walking around the house, reading letters, listening to the ramblings of a teenage girl and piecing together what happened.
I was expecting more, after how many of the reviewers praised it.

Has Spelunky been a daily yet?

Yeah. Or it was a flash. Dont remember. It was one of these. Either daily or flash.

Do Telltale Games usually lower their price more that 33% before the end of the season?

I really don't remember what happened for TWD...

It literally is a case of 'The only thing I don't like about it is its too good.' lol

I'm just not enjoying the time I'm having as much as I should be. All these great games I would normally be having a blast with and just going at my own pace, but I cant do that anymore. If I just kept giving in to this desire to play other games, I would never play anything more than a few hours.

I don't know how to handle it.

I have the exact same issue, literally 100% agree with every point in your original post and this.

The outcome for me is I just end up spending 95% of my gaming time for the week on a multi-player game.

Re: sale, tempted to pick up Metro. $18 in AUS, could wait for a 75% off next sale(hopefully). May not happen. Hmm.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does the deluxe edition of Far Cry 3 break the game, as in do you get any weapons the are too good for the beginning or should i juts buy the normal edition? Are the extra missions any good?

The M-700 is actually in the game by default, however the version of it that comes with the DDE is essentially just a post-upgrade flavour of it. As for the missions, they're all awfully short and not interesting in the slightest (well, I suppose the monkey business sub-plot is mildly amusing).

RedSwirl

I think buying some PC parts may have just earned me free Splinter Cell Blacklist and ACIV codes. Don't know if they're Steam or UPlay though. There's no one willing to exchange is there?

Edit: The email says I got "Free ACIV Black Flag and Splinter Cell Blacklist games" with a single code to enter at the Nvidia website. Does anybody know if that entitles you to UPlay or Steam keys or what?

Backlog isn't an issue, just spend a few minutes to categorise your games and pick from the "want to play" category.

What is an issue for me is download sizes. I have about 70GB of games queued up and this is not something that is going to improve :|

haha sucked in aussie
:'( it sucks hey
What's your plan like?

JaseC

Normal and ultimate version?

Nah, unfortunately New Vegas doesn't follow in the footsteps of Fallout 3 -- the UE is just a sub containing the base game and DLC. There is an RU-specific app for New Vegas, though, so it pratically evens out. ;)

RedSwirl

Looked it up and people say those codes are just UPlay codes. There's no one willing to exchange those for Steam codes are there?

friday

I really want the skyrim dlc, so I guess I should just grab the legendary edition? I know it was already a daily, guess I will see if it pops up again.

Nah, unfortunately New Vegas doesn't follow in the footsteps of Fallout 3 -- the UE is just a sub containing the base game and DLC. There is an RU-specific app for New Vegas, though, so it pratically evens out. ;)
Just curious, if the day you want to play games comes, isn't finding the right game to click on hard?

JaseC

Just curious, if the day you want to play games comes, isn't finding the right game to click on hard?

The "You have x friends who play ..." info makes it obvious which is which. E.g.:

Fallout: New Vegas (Eastern): "You have 4 Friends who play Fallout: New Vegas"
Fallout: New Vegas (ROW): "You have 157 Friends who play Fallout: New Vegas"

Enco

Played my first mission in Euro Truck Sim 2.

Surprisingly relaxing. The radio makes it. It's on sale at Amazon for £2.99. Would have been pissed if I didn't get it from GMG with the code (£3).

I also just picked up Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition from GMG for £4. Good stuff.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Wife bought Wolf Among Us, glad to say I didn't, I enjoy actually playing my games, not passively watching them.

I mean, I could see a great value in a game like this if it was say of the caliber of a Kubrick film like The Shining, where you make these decisions but mainly watch a extremely well performed/voiced, cinematographic if you will and have a really cool experience that way. But as it stands it's still very sophomoric for my tastes and certainly nothing Oscar-worthy.

Take this scene for instance. I totally wouldn't mind passively watching that scene with small user interactions here and there. But I've yet to find the kind of story or scene in any game that could grab my full attention like that. If TellTale is serious about continuing this "trend" they need better story writers and especially better voiced/acted talent to really capture moments like those in cinema. Imo.

RedSwirl

I think even if you get a steam code, AC at least will still open through UPlay from steam

I know that already. I'd still just rather have the games on Steam.

I guess it ultimately doesn't matter if I just enter the exes into Steam as non-Steam games. Effectively it's the same since Uplay games can't have Steam achievements or trading cards. The only thing I lose is that Steam won't log how much time I spend on each game.

Dr Dogg

I used to get a similar problem with Civ IV as it's got separate apps for each expansion and duplicated again for the Mac copies. Every time I had the urge to reinstall it on any of my Macs or Windows boxes I'd click on the wrong one due to having similar play times. Really should bother with categories.

JaseC

Wife bought Wolf Among Us, glad to say I didn't, I enjoy actually playing my games, not passively watching them.

I mean, I could see a great value in a game like this if it was say of the caliber of a Kubrick film like The Shining, where you make these decisions but mainly watch a extremely well performed/voiced, cinematographic if you will and have a really cool experience that way. But as it stands it's still very sophomoric for my tastes and certainly nothing Oscar-worthy.

Take this scene for instance. I totally wouldn't mind passively watching that scene with small user interactions here and there. But I've yet to find the kind of story or scene in any game that could grab my full attention like that. If TellTale is serious about continuing this "trend" they need better story writers and especially better voiced/acted talent to really capture moments like those in cinema. Imo.

I'd like to visit the alternate universe in which Kubrick is (or was) a video game developer.

Fallout 3keeps crashing on my laptop. It'll run fine for a while, and suddenly I'll get an error saying it ran out of memory and bam, it's done.

I'm not sure how it runs out of memory, since I have 8 gigs of ram that should be more than sufficent for a game of its age. I'm not even running it at full settings.

Turfster

Fallout 3keeps crashing on my laptop. It'll run fine for a while, and suddenly I'll get an error saying it ran out of memory and bam, it's done.

I'm not sure how it runs out of memory, since I have 8 gigs of ram that should be more than sufficent for a game of its age. I'm not even running it at full settings.

Welcome to Bethesda gamebryo, enjoy your stay.

Cheddahz

Banned
Guess who finally got unbanned

The only thing I've picked up during this sale is Super Hexagon, though I might pick up Riddick from GOG

Did you try to limit the number of CPU cores used by the game?
Guess who finally got unbanned
Welcome back.

Dr Dogg

Yeah it's still got issues. Have you got any mods loaded up? It's still only a 32 bit exe so only has access to 2gb of memory and some mods crash it like crazy, especially when you go to town.

If not as Turfster says welcome to the Gamebyro engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom