• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2017 - Giveaways are back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

Do you think it would have been easier/less resource consuming to just licence Dolphin (GPLv2+) instead of making the port?
It's almost completely impossible to license anything GPL for a traditional commercial product, so no.

... just barely :p

I hope so, but I got a feeling they're going to Sleeping Dogs 2 the series and just let it wither by moving the Deus Ex team to other series, as they already have.

Yeah it's difficult to be optimistic about what has happened here.

Every franchise needs to breath from time to time. Better wait 3-4 years and then get a good game and not get sequel after sequel pumped out

Man this is not really a situation of needing to let a franchise 'breathe' now is it? It's not like they were pumping them out. There have been two Deus Ex games in the last 13 years. It has been put on ice now because this last one sold poorly.

Sad thing is the game didn't have any severe, egregious flaws to justify such poor sales. Yeah, the story ends abruptly and there were microtransactions but is that really enough to scuttle the franchise completely? And it takes out one of the last pillars of the immersive sim genre too. It's just a shame.

Wow Durante did an amazing job on LKS. No more stuttering on my desktop. Gone from low 10s/single digits on my GPD Win to 24~30fps.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
wouldnt mind deadly tower of monsters on tomorow's monthly, seems like the kind of semi-high profile indie title they would slap in a monthly

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Valve released an interesting piece of analytic news to developers.

I'm waiting to see how long it takes before it's leaked by someone.

jtb

Banned
So I picked up XCOM 2 with Humble monthly.

Sunk ~50 hours in the first game.

How should I proceed? Vanilla? Long War? Must-have mods?

Also, is performance still an issue?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Vanilla XCOM 2 is enough of a curve to start with. Performance is better than launch. Try Long War 2 once you feel comfortable with vanilla.

And Mods? Mass Effect squad, obvs.

I would go straight for long war, its a long game already so to play normal and then long war is insanity to me.

I keep trying different games but I really cant settle on anything to play because whatever it is I wont finish before the koei games come out anyway, and im having a shit week and the little free time I have ive been sleeping to Im not really playung anything :/

derFeef

I keep trying different games but I really cant settle on anything to play because whatever it is I wont finish before the koei games come out anyway, and im having a shit week and the little free time I have ive been sleeping to Im not really playung anything :/

Are we the same person?

I beat it on no hope with Soma. Yeah the difficulty is a bit unbalanced in solo play. Professional to me is better.

Was quite fun besides some frustrating parts. I also played almost the entirety of No Hope on my own on PS3 and it was manageable, most of the times. Really makes you want to take advantage of the mechanics as much as you can.

Nzyme32

So I picked up XCOM 2 with Humble monthly.

Sunk ~50 hours in the first game.

How should I proceed? Vanilla? Long War? Must-have mods?

Also, is performance still an issue?

May I strongly recommend just diving in Vanilla with the dlc (Shen's Last Gift, and some other alien story stuff). Go Ironman. Veteran or Commander difficulty is up to you though. I've really enjoyed Ironmaning this one. Tense, dramatic and crazy.

___

Steam Client Beta Update - Febuary 2nd, 2017
3 FEBRUARY - SDALTON

General
-Fixed recently played games appearing in the wrong order.

MacOS
-Fixed bad colorspace selection when streaming games.

Big Picture
-Confirm before Restarting/Suspending/Shutting Down when choosing one of these options from the system menu.

Steam Controller
-Controllers will no longer time out and power off while the configurator is open.
-Added mouse dampening option for Mouse Region mode.
-Added power-off timeout functionality for PS4 controllers connected over wireless.
-Fixed X-Input controllers that were connected prior to login getting incorrect configuration settings due to not having account data.
-Fixed some inconsistencies in offline mode support.
-Fixed double binding panel when opening up built in configurations after opening a game's configurator.

Decided to play Civ V for the first time ever. Hate turn based games.

7 hours later.

Tutorial doesn't let you save :/

giphy.gif

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Decided to play Civ V for the first time ever. Hate turn based games.

7 hours later.

Tutorial doesn't let you save :/

Well you can kiss your free time goodbye for the next month/year.

I think I played over 400 hours of Civ V by the time I was good, and I'm quite sure that is a low amount compared to some around here. I already have 150+ in Civ VI and it doesn't have 2 amazing expansions like V does.

rtcn63

We all know Knuckles still exists in the future with Adam Jensen so maybe he finally killed Shadow and took his soul

Parsnip

-Fixed X-Input controllers that were connected prior to login getting incorrect configuration settings due to not having account data.

I wonder if this was causing the occasional right stick issue on my end. It was definitely getting incorrect configuration for some reason, so outlook might be good.

Really wish I'd enjoyed RE7, second biggest disappointment of the generation behind Quantum Break which was unbelievably dull and outdated.

dot

I was a bit iffy on the first person view at first, but surprisingly the game was pretty good. Just wish it had more enemy variety and replay value.

i do miss the RE6 gameplay though...

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Next Resident Evil need to be turned into a real time/ turn based RPG like Resonance of Fate.

rtcn63

I wish it was as good as RE6

That's just not a sword worth immolating yourself with.

RE7 has simpler combat, but that doesn't mean it's worse. D-pad assignable weapons, no knockdown-effect when you lose a bit of health, and shots have almost RE5-levels of heft to them. Oh, and item storage. The complexity to RE6's combat means little if they fuck the basics so massively. And the campaign...

bbd23

I know I said I would probably get bored of For Honor initially but man I had so much fun with the beta and I can't wait to play it again next week when the open beta happens.

I might just buy it.

Jawmuncher

That's just not a sword worth immolating yourself with.

RE7 has simpler combat, but that doesn't mean it's worse. D-pad assignable weapons, no knockdown-effect when you lose a bit of health, and shots have almost RE5-levels of heft to them. Oh, and item storage. The complexity to RE6's combat means little if they fuck the basics so massively. And the campaign...

I wasn't able to bash Jacks head in though.

img_1287h5ky3.gif

So in this case. Simpler is worse for me.

That seems like an incredibly low bar to wish for. Luckily we got something that was much, much better. :p

In all seriousness. I didn't hate the game. Though I don't see it as some greatly superior title to 6. If I gave RE6 and 8, I'd say RE7 is a 7. I didn't mind the shift in gameplay back to an older style or the first person view. But it's been 5 years since an RE6 style game. So it's about time for something like that again. Or at least for capcom to tell me it's never happening so I can hang the action titles up with Dino Crisis until they come back.

Jawmuncher

what are you guys talking about

RE7 is GOTY-tier stuff

Nah. Like maybe if you were thirsting for a return to this style of gameplay and are easily scared. But after the main house the game dips a lot in quality. The last 25% especially.

This will actually be the first time a mainline RE game isn't my GOTY. Unless I somehow play nothing else this year.

Granjinha

Nah. Like maybe if you were thirsting for a return to this style of gameplay and are easily scared. But after the main house the game dips a lot in quality. The last 25% especially.

This will actually be the first time a mainline RE game isn't my GOTY. Unless I somehow play nothing else this year.

nah i wasn't thirsting for that :p i actually love the more action-y RE games. Even though 6 is the weaker one of the three, for me, i still love it.

RE7 is incredible, though. Great characters, great setting, slower but excellent gameplay... I love everything about it, especially the bakers

it has a drop in quality but the level design and pacing is far superior than RE6.

Jawmuncher

nah i wasn't thirsting for that :p i actually love the more action-y RE games. Even though 6 is the weaker one of the three, for me, i still love it.

RE7 is incredible, though. Great characters, great setting, slower but excellent gameplay... I love everything about it, especially the bakers

it has a drop in quality but the level design and pacing is far superior than RE6.

For me RE6 is about the gameplay mechanics and characters. They're just way too enjoyable for me. I can see why people are really enjoying RE7 though. I definitely prefer it to the Revelations games, which I've never been to kind too. The beginning house and everything with jack is my favorite part about the game.

rtcn63

I'm really starting to think Jaw is trolling. There are just so, so many negatives to RE6, things you simply can't argue for. Everything that it seems to want to be- an action-focused shooter with cool melee counters and shit, is undermined by the terrible encounters, and crap like an inventory that's difficult to utilize in the heat of combat and you falling down each time you lose a block of health. Your character falls on their ass dramatically. I want to stress how fucking horrible that is. Chris' campaign is like 99% dudes shooting at you from far away, and the game penalizes you for playing it NOT like a cover-based Gears clone.

RE6 sets out to do something AND THEN DOES IT ALMOST COMPLETELY WRONG.

Jawmuncher

I'm really starting to think Jaw is trolling. There are just so, so many negatives to RE6, things you simply can't argue for. Everything that it seems to want to be- an action-focused shooter with cool melee counters and shit, is undermined by the terrible encounters, and crap like an inventory that's difficult to utilize in the heat of combat and you falling down each time you lose a block of health. Your character falls on their ass dramatically. I want to stress how fucking horrible that is. Chris' campaign is like 99% dudes shooting at you from far away, and the game penalizes you for playing it NOT like a cover-based Gears clone.

RE6 sets out to do something AND THEN DOES IT ALMOST COMPLETELY WRONG.

I ain't lying. Like RE6 night not perfect everything it wants to. But as a whole it's pretty close to the kind of game I'd make, though mine would have more dinosaurs. It's definitely a case where the good stuff is so good for me, that I can look past it's flaws.

I'm currently about to finish up getting the 1000/1000 on XB1 and the Platinum on PS4

I do play up my love a bit though. I mean, I'm sort of joking when I say RE2make should have melee. But on the same hand, if that actually happened. You wouldn't see me complaining.

I'll always prefer action, but I do still enjoy the older games and the style RE7 brought. Hoping RE8 nails a better story and less drop off in the campaign.

rtcn63

I'm sorry Jaw, but I'm putting you on notice. Every time you jump into a thread and say RE6 is better than RE7 or Revelations 2, etc. I'm going to want receipts. A full-on, mostly objective and entirely coherent argument as to why the bullshit in RE6 is less offensive than the bullshit in those games. I've played RE4-7, TEW, REV1 and 2 multiple times. I can throw down a soap box and wank myself off something spectacular while talking about the pros and cons, with my hairy bare naked ass ready to hit the mattresses for said knowingly trivial opinions.

Rhaknar

The problem with munch's RE6 thing isn't that he likes it, its that he says its the best.

Thats like me saying that Marvel Heroes is better than, I dunno, Diablo 2 or whatever you kids think is the best one of those.

I wasn't much of a bundle buyer but being subbed to the monthly has ruined me when it comes to buying games.

Bundles ruined sales.

Rhaknar tm 2016

rtcn63

The problem with munch's RE6 thing isn't that he likes it, its that he says its the best.

Thats like me saying that Marvel Heroes is better than, I dunno, Diablo 2 or whatever you kids think is the best one of those.

Yes, if someone thinks something is the absolute best and constantly jumps into conversations spouting so, they better be damn ready to back it up ad fucking nauseum. The door is open.

Jawmuncher

I'm sorry Jaw, but I'm putting you on notice. Every time you jump into a thread and say RE6 is better than RE7 or Revelations 2, etc. I'm going to want receipts. A full-on, mostly objective and entirely coherent argument as to why the bullshit in RE6 is less offensive than the bullshit in those games. I've played RE4-7, TEW, REV1 and 2 multiple times. I can throw down a soap box and wank myself off something spectacular while talking about the pros and cons, with my hairy bare naked ass ready to hit the mattresses for said knowingly trivial opinions.

6 just has more of the stuff I like even when I factor in the bad.
It's like food. Yeah that 5 star cooked meal might be better. But if it's filled with stuff I don't like, then I'm gonna prefer the burger from the diner, even if their fries suck.

Yes, if someone thinks something is the absolute best and constantly jumps into conversations spouting so, they better be damn ready to back it up ad fucking nauseum. The door is open.

Bundles ruined sales.

Rhaknar tm 2016

6 isn't the best though. That's RE5.
300+ hours across all versions. Even got all the GFWL achievements.

rtcn63

I don't think you're a bad person, god knows we all dress as latex Sonic characters for Easter, but I'm just going to write this off as trolling. If you can't have your Dino Crisis revival, then you just have to watch the world burn around you.

I like 6 better than 5. Although Chris looks way better in 5.

Maybe I will replay it again. Not like I am buying Raccoon City for $30 any time soon.

EDIT - Sonic is stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom