• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2017 - Giveaways are back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomax

People always seem to forget that the first rule of GAF is that all your opinions are wrong and everything you like is bad.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of an anonymous benefactor, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 14 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Asteroid Bounty Hunter -- MB-E82316B0F0F72279 - Taken by Mackenzie 92. 3 entrants total.
BARROW HILL CURSE OF THE ANCIENT CIRCLE -- MB-19F2B1DBD3B51342 - Taken by NingenJanai. 1 entrants total.
CORPORATE LIFESTYLE SIMULATOR -- MB-E4021B8C4F6EA8D8 - Taken by PaulSane. 2 entrants total.
QUESTRUN -- MB-D95765336FB65AA6 - Taken by Madn. 1 entrants total.
QUESTRUN #2- -- MB-A414CAD0096DA479
QUESTRUN #3 -- MB-4C2184752B484CFC
THREE DEAD ZED -- MB-81B995E81E9C2D7A - Taken by Megauap. 1 entrants total.
THREE DEAD ZED #2- -- MB-02C5C315DF14DCD0 - Taken by Ludens. 2 entrants total.
TIDALIS -- MB-D74BF100A70E9CA9 - Taken by krczt23. 1 entrants total.
TOWER WARS -- MB-9EE2EC2DDA82245A - Taken by longlivegaming. 1 entrants total.
TOWER WARS #2- -- MB-047B50E2D604557C - Taken by Regginator. 1 entrants total.
VAMPIRE OF THE SANDS -- MB-2AC705DC98340408 - Taken by kionedrik. 3 entrants total.
VIRTUAL ROGUE -- MB-B4136EFC4B6827CD - Taken by Hakkelus. 1 entrants total.
X-COM: UFO Defense -- MB-B14324673A73D467 - Taken by pantsattack. 3 entrants total.

t1486101532z1.png

Teggy

I'm playing RE6 right now. I just can't see how it could possibly be someone's GOTY. Then again, I loved Wet, so I get just enjoying some game no one cares about.

Sherry Birkin has got some impressive boob physics. Jake having a complete meltdown because he saw some cleavage was kind of hilarious.

Amzin

Grim Dawn laughs at this notion. It is the true Diablo 2 successor.

But seriously, Grim Dawn's a fantastic return-to-form for the genre. It takes loot and progression to greater heights than they've ever been, making every kill, every piece of loot, and every step matter more than any other ARPG. It is phenomenal; I only wish it had production values as high as Diablo 3.

OK, I'm all for people having their own opinions on games, but I don't understand this sentiment at all. Of the 26 hours I have in Grim Dawn, about 23 of them felt utterly pointless. It's full of pointless loot, grinding, etc. and that's even before addressing personal preferences towards skill points AND the heavy weight towards passives (read: boring) "skills" over actives for most end game builds. It took a lot of steps backwards from the lessons that could have been learned from Diablo 3 honestly.

Grim Dawn is OK, and I certainly enjoyed it more than Torchlight 2, but as far as phenomenal goes, I'm gonna have to disagree :p

Also, the production values I thought were quite good actually.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Welp finished FFIV... Never a good thing when you go "thank god thats over" when you finish a game >_>

Oh well at least its done with. That shit kinda soured me on my jrpg kick ive been on lately tho. That last dungeon drained my soul.

Surely there must be some better way for developers to make things "hard" besides turning everything into bullet sponges :(

Tales of Berseria is close to crossing 50K (Or might have already):
47,687 ± 6,094

and it is still on the front page of steam top sellers so it seems like it is doing OK right now

Also Little Kings Story is moving up in the top sellers list which is pretty cool!

Shengar

Grim Dawn laughs at this notion. It is the true Diablo 2 successor.

But seriously, Grim Dawn's a fantastic return-to-form for the genre. It takes loot and progression to greater heights than they've ever been, making every kill, every piece of loot, and every step matter more than any other ARPG. It is phenomenal; I only wish it had production values as high as Diablo 3.
Too bad that all of that gameplay mechanic was wrapped in a most blandest presentation ever, audio and visual wise. It's like, you have to be the most dedicated Diablo-like connoisseur to be able to fully appreciate the game and play it over and over as it's intended to.

OK, I'm all for people having their own opinions on games, but I don't understand this sentiment at all. Of the 26 hours I have in Grim Dawn, about 23 of them felt utterly pointless. It's full of pointless loot, grinding, etc. and that's even before addressing personal preferences towards skill points AND the heavy weight towards passives (read: boring) "skills" over actives for most end game builds. It took a lot of steps backwards from the lessons that could have been learned from Diablo 3 honestly.

Grim Dawn is OK, and I certainly enjoyed it more than Torchlight 2, but as far as phenomenal goes, I'm gonna have to disagree :p

It felt pointless because the presentation is very bland. Every enemy looks the same, as much as the environment is. There isn't much differences between Cronley's Gang and Cult of Cthon besides the latter have more evil red aura and pet horror creature surrounding them. As such, you feel like you playing against the same shit over and over again with little to no variation at all. The most different area in the game was that snowy mountain with some horned yeti monster, and yet Grim Dawn still failed to fully capitalized the area for making more different enemies. Every time I assigned skill points I always want to push myself forward until I meet yet another eyeless cthonic monsters and green zombie of aetherials then mumbling "do I want to went through all of this again?"

Tales of Berseria is close to crossing 50K (Or might have already):
47,687 ± 6,094

and it is still on the front page of steam top sellers so it seems like it is doing OK right now

Also Little Kings Story is moving up in the top sellers list which is pretty cool!

It's doing worse than Zestiria as expected. Zestiria managed 80k on its first week. Symphonia showing its appeal right there. Also, people who bought Zestiria seem reluctant to try Berseria due to Zestiria's overall quality, which is a shame. They're really missing one of the best Tales of games of all time.

Knurek

It's doing worse than Zestiria as expected. Zestiria managed 80k on its first week. Symphonia showing its appeal right there. Also, people who bought Zestiria seem reluctant to try Berseria due to Zestiria's overall quality, which is a shame. They're really missing one of the best Tales of games of all time.

Zestiria was also 50% off when you pre-ordered.
(even more if you used Norwegian traders)
Had they packed Berseria with... dunno, Destiny R port, I'd be all over that shit. But with Atelier coming out in a week, one needs to prioritize.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
FFIV The Later Years is supposed to be pretty bad right?

I said FFIV bummed me out of jrpgs, but at the same time they are pretty good to play at work since its all turn based, so I might jump on another. I really should do 6 tho, that was the one I wanted to get out of the way the most. It should run fine on the laptop too so.

Does it still hold up, story wise since many people say its the best one story wise)? 4 feels really dated tbh (story wise I mean, mechanically its actually fine and even did some cool things that others dont).

PaulSane

Does the game manageable on the hardest difficulty without too much grinding or excessive planning? Sounds this is like a solid game, I hope for a discount for FFF owner.

I'd say that this is the least "Compile heart game" out of all of them - and by that i mean that it may appeal to a bigger audience than your usual Neptunia games.
Regarding difficulty - on the highest one, you will have to grind a bit OR actually use your skills\items and fairize all the time, while in original FFF you could still pretty much steamroll anything even on hard only using combos.
I don't have any info about possible discount, but there is a very high possibility of the usual launch discount Idea Factory gives to it's games.

Tizoc

Zestetia was a good port initially despite the 30 fpsmlock
If anything, because seaty went down in price some months later people are merely waiting for that deep discount before getting it
It could also be that the tales series' formula didnt stick with people that they want to play another one

Rhaknar

Zestiria has already been 75% off in multiple places and is now in a humble bundle, did it even come out 1 year ago?

Why would anyone but the most hardcore Tales fans but Berseria now tbh? :/

Jesus Christ, Steam has been shitting all sorts of bricks for me today. First it forgets my login meaning I have to remember my password which is very long and easy to forget. I check for security alerts and find none so I assume everything is okay.

Come back 2 hours later want to launch a game and notice my jump list is all screwy and shows a bunch of games I haven't played in ages. I freak the fuck out and check for security alerts again and find nothing so I'm like wtf is this bug. I figure it might be the beta client so I opt out and come back to find my jumplist as it was and last played dates to be correct again. So I figure I won, victory, everything's cool, then I try to launch a game and now every single game has an update queued. It doesn't seem to be updating shit but it wants to verify the integrity of every single game I have installed. (I have a 4tb games hd so it's a fuck ton). The fuck is this shit steam...

I'm sorry for my mini rant but I need to vent somewhere.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Zestiria has already been 75% off in multiple places and is now in a humble bundle, did it even come out 1 year ago?

Why would anyone but the most hardcore Tales fans but Berseria now tbh? :/

Tales of Berseria is a great game despite the overworld being barren and the equipment system while an improvement from Zestiria still has to go. Story, characters and combat is pretty darn great.

Rhaknar

Tales of Berseria is a great game despite the overworld being barren and the equipment system while an improvement from Zestiria still has to go. Story, characters and combat is pretty darn great.

I said nothing about the game's quality dude, it looks fine. Hell it looks more than fine, it looks great (im super into that dress up shit lol). My point stands tho, all you said makes Tales fans want it.

ITs still a 50€/$60 game at a time where most people dont have that much money (dunno if you noticed but shit is rough in most places of the world), it came out at the same time as RE7 of all things (why isnt anyone mentioning that little nugget when comparing it to Zestiria sales?), and I bet most people that have Symphonia and Zestiria havent finished those, so buying a new one at full price, when again, the previous ones had sales SUPER fast, isnt exactly the most exciting idea.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I said nothing about the game's quality dude, it looks fine. Hell it looks more than fine, it looks great (im super into that dress up shit lol). My point stands tho, all you said makes Tales fans want it.

ITs still a 50€/$60 game at a time where most people dont have that much money (dunno if you noticed but shit is rough in most places of the world), it came out at the same time as RE7 of all things (why isnt anyone mentioning that little nugget when comparing it to Zestiria sales?), and I bet most people that have Symphonia and Zestiria havent finished those, so buying a new one at full price, when again, the previous ones had sales SUPER fast, isnt exactly the most exciting idea.

Its alright I aint going aggresive at ya :p

The game is meaty and has enough content to keep anyone busy so its well worth the price of admission IMO. Still it all depends on what people want at the moment and to be honest January was a bit packed on PS4 and PC. Resident Evil, Gravity Rush, Berseria, Yakuza and Im sure Im missing some other games too. Overall the sales will reflect and affect some games more than others. Berseria and Tales of Games overall are not juggernauts when it comes to sales outside of some exceptions. The series simply does enough money to keep getting localized and its clearly not on an extremely high budget to make so overal it should be fine with the sales how its going now. Still doing decent numbers when you take in considerations all the things it has against from coming from Zestiria being underwhelming and Symphonia port being a mess.

0WAos6M.png

i'm glad someone finally recognizes how important i am

Be a little careful, it's not the same guy that sends me keys, might be a dupe. This is the guy I get free stuff from. Might just need another ID to increase his friends list but...

Cool, tell us which free games you get.

And how much money they steal out of your bank account

Stuff like Rolling Sun, Storm of Spears, Plazma Being, Particle Mace etc.... Probably gotten more than a dozen in the last year, most are bundlejunk that I already owned so they got fed to modbot. Particle Mace is pretty good.

Tizoc

How super fast did Aestetia's sales pop up tho? Granted i made threads for it being on sale during summer period, on steam, but i barely saw anyone pick it up :p it wouldnt be until i think autumn 2016 when it got its deepest discount and started getting more owners
By the. Though it would have been 1 year since relase and a year isnt exactly what id call super fast @_@

0WAos6M.png

i'm glad someone finally recognizes how important i am

I think they're trying to say that you're a curator, zkylon.

Diablo 3 was a huge step back, though. It put the entire focus of the gameplay on equipment to the detriment of everything else, becoming the sole means of progression. Like, I've no idea if the expansion improved things, but at launch (when I played it) D3 seemed purely designed around monetising items via the auction house, with a mantra of "make the numbers go up forever," almost wholly abandoning things like builds. It was just the absolute wrong way to take the genre.

It does look great, though. I'll give it that.

But back to Grim Dawn, I'll try to expand on why it is so good. It takes Diablo 3's same lesson (progress forever) and applies it to the whole gameplay loop rather than just the "loot" phase. Like, off the top of my head, every ARPG has three pillars of gameplay: exploring, killing, and looting, but it's only Grim Dawn that ties them together neatly. Exploring gives personal (as in, character-based) progress through shrines and quests; killing gives personal progress through levels; and loot gives personal progress through, well, better items, with the occasional item having a build-defining ability; with the loop then wrapping around for the next level of challenges. It's the shrines and item abilities that really set it apart from other ARPGs.

It is this feeling of progression that makes it super enthralling and excellent to me--every step is one forward, no matter how small. It really doesn't feel pointless at all. In particular, the constellation stuff as well as regular levels are always something I'm always looking forward to. (Although I like passive skills a lot, I admit!) I also like the level scaling it uses, with certain areas tuned to be above the player's level, for a challenge. Like, whenever I think of GD, it makes me want to roll all kinds of wild builds, just like D2 did.

And LurkerPrime secret time: I actually refunded Grim Dawn the first time I bought it. I didn't enjoy my time with the game; the build I had felt slow, weak, and useless. When I ended up opening GD again due to the Humble Monthly, I fell in love with it when I tried a two-handed melee based build; it just felt right.

Rhaknar

Hmm as somone with no nostalgia for the snes original (I never played it) or even a frame of reference really, I've barely seen anything from the game over the years, I like the look of FF6.

Could use without the smoothing out of the sprites (I always prefer pixels) but overall I dig the look of the 10mins I played.

Interesting how the game seems to be all steampunk-y, I guess they were moving in a more technological direction with the series back then, and 7 wasnt as big a jump as I thought?

Seriously I know nothing about the game lol. I know there's a clown called Kefka because that is gaming pop culture these days.

Mikurden

Seriously I know nothing about the game lol.
That's a great position to be in -- its reputation is fully justified. It's always fun to "see" someone experience something you love and I'm looking forward to your little updates/impressions since I couldn't really appreciate what you had to say about FF4 since I've never gotten around to playing it.

Rhaknar

That's a great position to be in -- its reputation is fully justified. It's always fun to "see" someone experience something you love and I'm looking forward to your little updates/impressions since I couldn't really appreciate what you had to say about FF4 since I've never gotten around to playing it.

Heres a little update for you:

Yo you riding mecha at the start. And people say Final Fantasy aint anime? :3

I like the battle animations, I was afraid the old school-ness would turn me off (which frankly it did on FF1 on psp) but the little touches like the characters actually moving near enemies for attacks and beams being beams and whatnot is enough tbh.

I only played like 10mins like I said tho, I had to go do some work (first world problems). I dont even know the lady's name yet, she is ??????? as far as I know :3

Kaleinc

Banned
RE6 is good and definitely better than 5.

Grim Dawn is legit and with bigger budget that shit would be nuclear. If you don't like how it plays chances are the character/build is slow borefest, try something else (like nightblade).

FFIV The Later Years is supposed to be pretty bad right?

I said FFIV bummed me out of jrpgs, but at the same time they are pretty good to play at work since its all turn based, so I might jump on another. I really should do 6 tho, that was the one I wanted to get out of the way the most. It should run fine on the laptop too so.

Does it still hold up, story wise since many people say its the best one story wise)? 4 feels really dated tbh (story wise I mean, mechanically its actually fine and even did some cool things that others dont).

I played through the entirety of Final Fantasy about 10 years ago and at the time, 7 was the first game that I felt not dated at all story-wise. As in, they reached the point where they could afford and was willing to craft dialogues subtle enough not to feel "gamey". I feel a lot of the dialogues in the earlier game were too straightforward with characters's motivation, making many emotional moments went by quickly without proper build-up, leaving me unfulfilled.

That said, 6 is still a lot better compared to 4 in that department and is refreshing setting-wise.

Tizoc

Yo you riding mecha at the start. And people say Final Fantasy aint anime? :3

I like the battle animations, I was afraid the old school-ness would turn me off (which frankly it did on FF1 on psp) but the little touches like the characters actually moving near enemies for attacks and beams being beams and whatnot is enough tbh.

I only played like 10mins like I said tho, I had to go do some work (first world problems). I dont even know the lady's name yet, she is ??????? as far as I know :3
Rhaky dont go leveling up a lot in ff6, your stats dont go up when u level up, only hp and mp

Hmm as somone with no nostalgia for the snes original (I never played it) or even a frame of reference really, I've barely seen anything from the game over the years, I like the look of FF6.

Could use without the smoothing out of the sprites (I always prefer pixels) but overall I dig the look of the 10mins I played.
I'm certain there's a mod to make the sprites pixelated, if you cared to do that kind of thing.

zkylon

zkylewd
i should curate more stuff but that would mean i should play more games

and i try to get my curator thing to be a not entirely standard kind of suggestions

Mikurden

Yo you riding mecha at the start.
I dont even know the lady's name yet, she is ??????? as far as I know :3

The journey begins!
You're making me want to bust out my old tapes from when I taped story/key moments of games so that I could revisit them more efficiently as movies -- seemed like a crazy thing to do, but now that stuff is all over YouTube -- I was ahead of my time!
(not a real spoiler)

wbacon

Capcom USA
...what is the next Capcom PC port? DmC 2013 DE? DMC Trilogy on Steam with Steam Workshop support?

wbacon pls, at least tease what the next release is.

PC is always on top of my mind whether it's a port or brand new release. Nothing to tease really, but yes, rest assured we'll have more on the way.

Tizoc

Whut? What does this mean?

Like dont grind?
Pretty much yeah
Once u get espers that is when u could start grinding but ur stats dont necessarily increase when u level
Up. Ur atk and magic damage deal more the higher your level but espers grant u bonus stats when u level up which is why u shouldnt grind for exp early on (too much)

PC is always on top of my mind whether it's a port or brand new release. Nothing to tease really, but yes, rest assured we'll have more on the way.
Hey while you're here, I'd love a port of the usual suspects (God Hand, Okami) but also a competent port of Devil May Cry HD Collection.

DMC3 port is hot trash :/

Teeth

Whut? What does this mean?

Like dont grind?

Up until a certain event in the game (about 1/3 of the way through...I think?), any level you gain will only improve your HP and MP amounts. After that event, you will gain the ability to gain +2 to a select stat when you level up. The stat that goes up depends on the <redacted> you have equipped. Certain stats are much better than others. Stamina is useless. Strength and Magic are alright. Speed is very useful.

If you play normally, you'll be fine, but if you grind early, your stats will end up lower in the end. There's no real reason to go super low level though, unless you are min/maxing. Which is kind of pointless because the game is honestly really easy.

Orgen

What is all this discussion about the best Resident Evil when it's crystal clear that is Resident Evil 4? Come on! :p

Amazed by the Cemu advancements. Does any of you have any interest in buying and playing some Wii U games on PC? (I'm not because I already have a Wii U but is a crying shame that some of its games will go unplayed by most. Yes, I'm talking about motherf****** Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze of course! :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom