• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2017 - Giveaways are back

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 14 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Asteroid Bounty Hunter -- MB-E82316B0F0F72279 - Taken by Mackenzie 92. 3 entrants total.
BARROW HILL CURSE OF THE ANCIENT CIRCLE -- MB-19F2B1DBD3B51342 - Taken by NingenJanai. 1 entrants total.
CORPORATE LIFESTYLE SIMULATOR -- MB-E4021B8C4F6EA8D8 - Taken by PaulSane. 2 entrants total.
QUESTRUN -- MB-D95765336FB65AA6 - Taken by Madn. 1 entrants total.
QUESTRUN #2- -- MB-A414CAD0096DA479
QUESTRUN #3 -- MB-4C2184752B484CFC
THREE DEAD ZED -- MB-81B995E81E9C2D7A - Taken by Megauap. 1 entrants total.
THREE DEAD ZED #2- -- MB-02C5C315DF14DCD0 - Taken by Ludens. 2 entrants total.
TIDALIS -- MB-D74BF100A70E9CA9 - Taken by krczt23. 1 entrants total.
TOWER WARS -- MB-9EE2EC2DDA82245A - Taken by longlivegaming. 1 entrants total.
TOWER WARS #2- -- MB-047B50E2D604557C - Taken by Regginator. 1 entrants total.
VAMPIRE OF THE SANDS -- MB-2AC705DC98340408 - Taken by kionedrik. 3 entrants total.
VIRTUAL ROGUE -- MB-B4136EFC4B6827CD - Taken by Hakkelus. 1 entrants total.
X-COM: UFO Defense -- MB-B14324673A73D467 - Taken by pantsattack. 3 entrants total.

t1486101532z1.png

Jawmuncher

I don't think you're a bad person, god knows we all dress as latex Sonic characters for Easter, but I'm just going to write this off as trolling. If you can't have your Dino Crisis revival, then you just have to watch the world burn around you.

I definitely don't think that's far from the truth. No snake in smash, no dino Crisis, no tron 3, no action RE. If I can't be happy, no one should be.

But I really do like the action RE game a lot. Like if I make a list of my top 10 games and could have multiple titles per franchise. MGS1-3 and RE 4-6 would all be in there.

def sim

ok im starting to get a sense of what the combat is in re7

so block knife knife knife knife block knife knife knife knife

edit: not really a knock on the game, a lot of REs had the whole walk forward, trigger lunge animation, walk back knife knife knife knife

FLD

In all seriousness. I didn't hate the game. Though I don't see it as some greatly superior title to 6. If I gave RE6 and 8, I'd say RE7 is a 7. I didn't mind the shift in gameplay back to an older style or the first person view. But it's been 5 years since an RE6 style game. So it's about time for something like that again. Or at least for capcom to tell me it's never happening so I can hang the action titles up with Dino Crisis until they come back.

See, while I loved RE4 and RE5, I think RE6 is legit a garbage game. And to be fair, when I finally got around to playing it I was very surprised by how much fun I actually had with it once I stopped expecting a Resident Evil game and accepted I was playing trash. It's not like I don't get what you're saying when you post all these wrestling move gifs. It's just that that stuff is so far removed from what I like about RE that it almost hurts. It's not without flaws, but RE7 was a solid return to form for me.

Also, 5 years? Do you not count the Revelations games as being that style? I mean, they're not as over the top as RE6 but neither are any of the others.

rtcn63

edit: not really a knock on the game, a lot of REs had the whole walk forward, trigger lunge animation, walk back knife knife knife knife

Are you playing on Madhouse? On Normal, I pretty much don't use the knife at all if I can help it. Waste of time and effort.

Jawmuncher

See, while I loved RE4 and RE5, I think RE6 is legit a garbage game. And to be fair, when I finally got around to playing it I was very surprised by how much fun I actually had with it once I stopped expecting a Resident Evil game and accepted I was playing trash. It's not like I don't get what you're saying when you post all these wrestling move gifs. It's just that that stuff is so far removed from what I like about RE that it almost hurts. It's not without flaws, but RE7 was a solid return to form for me.

Also, 5 years? Do you not count the Revelation games as being that style? I mean, they're not as over the top as RE6 but neither are any of the others.

Yeah. This is a case of everyone thinking differently on what they want RE to be. For me RE is monsters, fun characters, and at this point the contextual melee. Obviously I know that's not its roots, but that's definitely the style of RE I enjoy the most.

I do not count the Revelation games as action. Since they were made to try and appeal more to horror fans to begin with. I don't find their gameplay to be as fun as 4-6. Plus mercs > raid

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

You get a gun a bit later. Think of that Resident Evil 1 First Person Mod and thats what kinda RE7 feels like. it has the item management down and it has a horror atmosphere and not really action. The facial animation can be awful sometimes which is why I like watching lets play

EDIT: Im not interested on actually buying RE7 tho. Not big on FPS

def sim

Are you playing on Madhouse? I pretty don't use the knife at all if I can help it.

No, this is my first run so I went with whatever the default is. I was messing around with the handgun and knife and found the latter to be more than enough against the regular regenerator looking duders. At least so far.

You get a gun a bit later. Think of that Resident Evil 1 First Person Mod and thats what kinda RE7 feels like. it has the item management down and it has a horror atmosphere and not really action. The facial animation can be awful sometimes which is why I like watching lets play

Yeah, you're right about it feeling like a classic RE game. Even the family members feel like Nemesis. I'm kinda digging it.

Tizoc

The problem with munch's RE6 thing isn't that he likes it, its that he says its the best.

Thats like me saying that Marvel Heroes is better than, I dunno, Diablo 2 or whatever you kids think is the best one of those.

Bundles ruined sales.

Rhaknar tm 2016
It is ok to prefer marvel heroes is the better diablo-like game, rhaky
Also ur trademark ought to go a year or two back :v

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
good lord this last part in FF4 might just be one of my least favorite areas in a videogame ever. Why the fuck does every fight have so much health, my guys are all mid 60s too so its not like im under lvled.

Anteater you said you bumped the game down to easy for the last boss, how did you do that? I dont see any difficulty option. This is beyond shit, I just want this to end.

Granjinha

For me RE6 is about the gameplay mechanics and characters. They're just way too enjoyable for me. I can see why people are really enjoying RE7 though. I definitely prefer it to the Revelations games, which I've never been to kind too. The beginning house and everything with jack is my favorite part about the game.

i totally get you dude, really, i love the combat system but i do think the game has some significant flaws and i prefer both RE5/4 than 6.

I actually think 5 is the best in the series ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (although 7 challenged that)

I'm really starting to think Jaw is trolling. There are just so, so many negatives to RE6, things you simply can't argue for. Everything that it seems to want to be- an action-focused shooter with cool melee counters and shit, is undermined by the terrible encounters, and crap like an inventory that's difficult to utilize in the heat of combat and you falling down each time you lose a block of health. Your character falls on their ass dramatically. I want to stress how fucking horrible that is. Chris' campaign is like 99% dudes shooting at you from far away, and the game penalizes you for playing it NOT like a cover-based Gears clone.

RE6 sets out to do something AND THEN DOES IT ALMOST COMPLETELY WRONG.

man i hate to say this but

git gud

The problem with munch's RE6 thing isn't that he likes it, its that he says its the best.

Thats like me saying that Marvel Heroes is better than, I dunno, Diablo 2 or whatever you kids think is the best one of those.

Bundles ruined sales.

Rhaknar tm 2016

there's actually zero problem with that. It's his opinion, why would that be a problem?

Also ur trademark ought to go a year or two back :v

Grim Dawn laughs at this notion. It is the true Diablo 2 successor.

But seriously, Grim Dawn's a fantastic return-to-form for the genre. It takes loot and progression to greater heights than they've ever been, making every kill, every piece of loot, and every step matter more than any other ARPG. It is phenomenal; I only wish it had production values as high as Diablo 3.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
there's actually zero problem with that. It's his opinion, why would that be a problem?

the point is that affability doesnt equate quality. Its ok to prefer it as a game, which I do. But I fully acknoledge that its a worse game than Diablo. Hell, its a worse game than most action rpgs of the genre, thats just factual. It has a ton of problems that I ignore because of the license and me being a Marvel fanboy. I actually wouldnt touch it with a 10 foot pole if it didnt have the license.

Or the recently discussed Final Fantasy XIII, which I like, but will be the first to admit its not very good, if good at all.

Its something people seem to have a problem doing with games for some reason and I dont get it, youll see people say they like shit movies all the time (and still say its shit mind you), but if its a game "I love that game thus it must mean its awesome". Its ok to like bad things :p

rtcn63

man i hate to say this but

git gud

You can get good at practically any game that isn't completely broken- doesn't mean the mechanics themselves aren't objectively flawed. RE6's bad elements hinder the good. You can say it doesn't bother you personally, but that doesn't wash the sins away.

Jawmuncher

the point is that affability doesnt equate quality. Its ok to prefer it as a game, which I do. But I fully acknoledge that its a worse game than Diablo. Hell, its a worse game than most action rpgs of the genre, thats just factual. It has a ton of problems that I ignore because of the license and me being a Marvel fanboy. I actually wouldnt touch it with a 10 foot pole if it didnt have the license.

Or the recently discussed Final Fantasy XIII, which I like, but will be the first to admit its not very good, if good at all.

Its something people seem to have a problem doing with games for some reason and I dont get it, youll see people say they like shit movies all the time (and still say its shit mind you), but if its a game "I love that game thus it must mean its awesome". Its ok to like bad things :p

I know when games are technically better. RE4 is technically better than RE5. But RE5 in my eyes will be the better game.

rtcn63

I know when games are technically better. RE4 is technically better than RE5. But RE5 in my eyes will be the better game.

It's that you've appeared in different threads and said something akin to "RE6 is better than so and so" or "you didn't like TEW and so and so", but then when asked to elaborate, your answer is almost always some variation of "I just do, opinions and all."

I may be wrong, but this is a discussion board, and if you're going to make those kind of statements repeatedly, then you need to discuss them to a satisfactory extent. I.e. you often hint that the reason people dislike RE6 is because of its heavy action slant, when that's only sometimes the case- if the idea of the execution itself being poor is brought up, you just sort of sidestep the thought instead of responding properly.

But hey, if that's how it's going to be, realize that people will start to shut your opinions out.

EDIT: I'm done for the night. This feels like it's not getting anywhere and I'm just talking to myself.

Jesb

Did ROTT get upgraded to free DLC? The cover art got updated to 20 year anniversary a while ago, I clicked on addon's in the menu and nothing comes up.

Jawmuncher

It's that you've appeared in different threads and said something akin to "RE6 is better than so and so" or "you didn't like TEW and so and so", but then when asked to elaborate, your answer is almost always some variation of "I just do, opinions and all."

This is a discussion board, if you're going to make those kind of statements repeatedly, then you need to discuss them to a satisfactory extent. And you keep hinting that the reason people dislike RE6 is because of it's heavy action slant, when that's only sometimes the case- if the idea of the execution itself being poor, you just sort sidestep instead of responding properly.

But hey, if that's how it's going to be, realize that people will start to shut your opinions out.

I feel like I give enough opinion on the game. At this point I've just talked circles of it. For RE6 my main point is usually just defending the game from remarks of "it's absolutely terrible with nothing redeemable".
Plus my opinion is often disregarded before I even say anything.

I like Devils Third, I like RE6, TLOU was just ok. This is among only a few things that have dubbed me with the nick name "bad taste jaw"

I ain't trying to please people here. If they want to discuss with me, that's cool. If not oh well. I'm pretty receptive to both sides and don't write off people for disliking a game I don't.

Also when I say X game is better than X. Just imply that there's a imo in there. I just don't like adding it to my posts. My academic papers say I shouldn't.

Did ROTT get upgraded to free DLC? The cover art got updated to 20 year anniversary a while ago, I clicked on addon's in the menu and nothing comes up.

Naw, the cover got updated because you can't buy just the regular version anymore. If what you bought is the regular version, you'd still need to buy the DLCs.

Granjinha

well i disagree with your POV

i think RE5 is the best in the series overall (counting the product as a whole) and if anyone asks me 'hey what's the best RE what should i play' i will recommend 5

but i also understand if someone disagrees with me :p

I may be wrong, but this is a discussion board, and if you're going to make those kind of statements repeatedly, then you need to discuss them to a satisfactory extent. I.e. you often hint that the reason people dislike RE6 is because of its heavy action slant, when that's only sometimes the case- if the idea of the execution itself being poor is brought up, you just sort of sidestep the thought instead of responding properly.

he does that, though, but he also explains that the action elements speak louder to him compared to most people

you're being quite dramatic, jaw is never a troll-y poster and when he does that it's quite clear that he's kidding, don't get so worked up just because someone doesn't agree with you when it comes to a preferred entry in a beloved series. Your posts so far have been far more obnoxious than anything jaw has ever posted regarding this subject (not that you are being annoying or anything, but you have been far more agressive than him :p)

You can get good at practically any game that isn't completely broken- doesn't mean the mechanics themselves aren't objectively flawed. RE6's bad elements hinder the good. You can say it doesn't bother you personally, but that doesn't wash the sins away.

completely agree, but some of your complaints were totally 'git gud' ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So something odd happened last night.

When my steam pops up, it usually doesn't ask for a password. It did this morning, along with the two factor authentication code prompt since I've had that enabled for a while now.

I didn't think much of it. Booted up the steam link and it told me I had played some games recently which I had not. Checked on the computer and about 50 games, many of which I don't have installed, were played.

I checked my emails and someone had logged into my gmail at 4am last night from an unknown device. I've changed my passwords on both. I also do family share with someone.

Any idea why someone would log in and startup all those games, if that's what they did?

rtcn63

It's not just about pleasing people. It's about you repeatedly opening up a dialogue and then writing off any sort of substantial conversation. I haven't been a member of this forum as long as most, but I don't think I've ever once see you defend your likes and dislikes with any real backing. Maybe you have done it all before, and have just become too jaded to give a damn. And that would be fine, if not for that fact that you continue to do this. It's detrimental to discussion and borderline insulting- you effectively say you like this over that unprovoked, and when people pour their hearts out to elaborate often expecting you to respond in kind, you just act like nothing was said and just continue to wax on. If you still don't see that, or don't want to see that, then there's no helping.

I am done here, I knew I wasn't welcome. Trying to get people to have an actual discussion, makes me obnoxious and the enemy. I'll take my over dramatic ass back to hell where it came from.

Granjinha

It's not just about pleasing people. It's about you repeatedly opening up a dialogue and then writing off any sort of substantial conversation. I haven't been a member of this forum as long as most, but I don't think I've ever once see you defend your likes and dislikes with any real backing. Maybe you have done it all before, and have just become too jaded to give a damn. And that would be fine, if not for that fact that you continue to do this. It's detrimental to discussion and borderline insulting- you effectively say you like this over that unprovoked, and when people our their hearts out to elaborate, you just act like nothing was said. If you still don't see that, or don't want to see that, then there's no helping.

I am done here, I knew I wasn't welcome. Trying to get people to have an actual discussion, makes me obnoxious and the enemy. I'll take my over dramatic ass back to hell where I came from.

Really? No one is upset here but you and you got angry because i said 'you're being a bit dramatic'

Now you really are being dramatic :p

rtcn63

Really? No one is upset here but you and you got angry because i said 'you're being a bit dramatic'

Now you really are being dramatic :p

You're being quite dramatic, jaw is never a troll-y poster and when he does that it's quite clear that he's kidding, don't get so worked up just because someone doesn't agree with you when it comes to a preferred entry in a beloved series. Your posts so far have been far more obnoxious than anything jaw has ever posted regarding this subject (not that you are being annoying or anything, but you have been far more agressive than him :p)

Is there something in the water? Hey Stump if you're watching, if that permaban is still on the table fucking send me away for my own sanity. Deuces.

Shengar

Since the store page is up, and the beta has ended, i guess it's ok to finally post some thoughts on the game and the port :)

db9443ecab.jpg

This is another iteration of a typical CH\IF formula which doesn't stray too much from it's predecessors, and continues the trend of "every new game is just a bit more mechanically sound than the previous one". Gameplay loop is still the same - you have your overworld map from which you select dungeons to venture into, you have your events with a visual novel presentation (although we have some more 3D cutscenes this time around), you have your regular turn-based battles etc. What i personally found very refreshing for a CH\IF was a choice of difficulty level - there are 5 of those, and having played through the game on the hardest one, i can safely say it was the most fun i had with CH\IF game in terms of combat. You will have to either grind a lot to progress, or, here comes the shocker, you will have to finally use the myriads of skills your characters have, which wasn't at all the case in previous games.

For those who played the original FFF, FFF:ADF offers roughly three times more content, with all the story content from original still present in the game in one of the three story routes.

Now, about the port quality - the game runs well, although the port itself is pretty barebones in terms of options. I also experienced FPS drops with some of the options turned on (like complex shadows) - but that might be the result of my PC being 5 years old :) All the other issues i had during beta were fixed, so it's not worth mentioning those.

This is also the game i was mentioning in my SteamGAF 2016 awards list - it would have been number 4 or 5 on that list if it was released last year :)
Overall, i can recommend this game to anyone who doesn't experience a "physical pain in the stomach" upon hearing words like "Compile Heart" or "Nep-Nep" :p And even to some of those who find Neptunia games too nonsensical - this one has a much more coherent and serious story, while retaining some of the usual sillyness you can expect from a CH\IF game.

Does the game manageable on the hardest difficulty without too much grinding or excessive planning? Sounds this is like a solid game, I hope for a discount for FFF owner.

Jawmuncher

It's not about pleasing people. It's about you repeatedly opening up a dialogue and then writing off any sort of substantial conversation. I haven't been a member of this forum as long as most, but I don't think I've ever once see you defend your likes and dislikes with any real backing. Maybe you have done it all before, and have just become too jaded to give a damn. And that would be fine, if not for that fact that yo continue to do this. It's detrimental to discussion and borderline insulting- you effectively say you like this over that unprovoked, and when people go to elaborate, you just act like nothing was said. If you still don't see that, or don't want to see that, then there's no helping.

I am talking to myself. Fuck me.

I think you're just taking my response style too personally. I have defended my likes and dislikes more particularly if needed. But most of the time, I don't feel the discussion is needed for it. I just don't know what you're getting on for the other half. I listen to people and why they like something.

For example,Me and you have discussed TEW before. I still don't like that game. But I understand why you and others do. Since for many it offered a better action/horror experience than even RE4 for some. Though even with examples given, I can't say I agree. Not like that's a problem.

So I'll try and discuss more in-depth with you if needed. In the case of RE6 a page back. I figured you knew my extent of dialog on the game by now, and the other half towards RE7 I quoted you on was a joke. Yes I prefer RE6 over RE7. But I know that RE7 is more competent an overall experience. Since yes it still has action, and the mechanics aren't all bad there.

Here's my in-depth post on why I prefer RE6 more than most, and why I personally enjoy it more than a lot of other RE games.

-----

For me at this point RE is about BOWs, Character Drama, cheese, and tense action with tight mechanics. With that said however, I still enjoy the older games. My first RE game was RE3 after all. However while I might have been scared of that game at one point, soon after I wasn't. So the series needing to be scary wasn't something I needed out of the series going forward. I prefer the horror as more of a spice than the main focus. Which is something RE7 did for me with jack. He's a good balance of being scary but also has other elements I list above.

Going back to RE6, I know the game is a mess. The campaign even has chapters I hate. I still skip Jakes chapter 2, to this day. But I just really enjoy the other elements so much so that I can look past the flaws. However I know that isn't the case for everyone. Not everyone can be as easily forgiving of such things. Funny enough, at first I didn't like RE6 either. Back when I played the demo that came with Dragons Dogma, I thought the game was pretty trash. But once the second demo hit and neitos thread of all the hidden controls was posted. The game really sat well with me.

There isn't another third person shooter that I know of that plays like RE6, or even RE4&5. I guess you can argue Dead Space. But even that doesn't have the melee setup style gameplay RE4-6 are known for. That element adds a lot to my enjoyment gameplay wise. The only other game I can think of with really enjoyable melee mechanics is Turok 2008 and the knife kills. Then you have all the ways you can chain into these melee setups. Whether it be counters, coup de grace, or quick shots. There's just a lot of gameplay systems to enjoy in RE6 if you want to give it the time to learn it, and can cut the campaign some slack.

Now talking of the campaign and story. While I can see why this isn't RE for people. I find it fits well. Everything feels like a perfect evolution from what had started and the elevation it received in every game. Stuff like BOWs and chemical warfare isn't going to stay in a small setting forever. At some point it's going to break out and effect things on a much larger scale. RE6 does that, and it makes sense those who have dealt with these situations before would be part of it and have these "super human" skills to combat said threats. You then add the characters which have had many games to grow from, or have connections to the overall lore of the series in some way. Leon and Helena I didn't care much for. But by the end they were a likeable duo and Leon got back some of his spunk. Chris and Piers was a nice bromance throughout of army guys. They gotta get the job done, but still care for each other and the rest of the squad. Jake and Sherry being the offspring of villains who had effects bestowed upon them from their "infected" parents was probably the best dynamic. They really connect throughout the whole story.

The biggest flaws of RE6 is the quantity over quality. You do get a lot of content for the sub $20 bucks the game is out on sale for. But not all of it is perfect. Jakes chapter 2 sucks, the vehicles sections are ass, and I wasn't a fan of the slow or scripted moments. Thankfully a lot of that can be skipped or doesn't take too long to get past.

So with all of this I can say that I enjoyed RE6 more than 7. 7 was a nice return to form, but for me the game has more of a dip in quality than 6. A big part being because the game starts way too strong, so a dip is going to hit me more than a game that I feel stays more consistent. Since it's not like the opening of RE6 is seen as a super high bar by anyone.

Only way I can explain this is that due to to RE7 starting so strong and failing in my eyes, I'm going to be more critical of it than the game that tried it's best but didn't get there. I know I definitely do that to games in general. It takes an absolutely special game for me to not be critical of it if it's receiving nothing but praise. Uncharted 4 is a recent example of such a game.

Like I mentioned in other threads. Overall RE7 is a good game. A 7/10 is still a good game after all. But I feel it could do a lot better. I look forward to RE8, which I feel will probably fix a lot of the gripes I had with 7. With my biggest gripes being primarily the story, and then the dips in areas I felt weren't as fun as the first.

If there's anything else specifically I should comment on or forgot to cover just let me know and I'll try to clarify. I write on mobile so it's kind of a pain to go back and fix posts. But just wanted to post all of this so you don't feel I'm trying to snub you or something.

The last part I want to add is a lot of my humor is repetitious. Ask anyone on my twitter or in Nintendo threads about Snake in Smash, Dino Crisis, or melee GIFs of RE. A lot of times I just wanna talk about those things, because I never get tired of them. So I post such things just to get that conversation going. If no one wants to discuss. people just know it's me being me.

Free Constructor on GOG
Constructor added 6 new photos.
13 hrs ·
OK...Second chance to get the original 1997 Constructor game for FREE. JUST LIKE OUR FACEBOOK PAGE which we would really appreciate so we can keep you up today on Constructor news
Here is the code ZVSYRAFB that will work as of now where ever you are in the world BUT FOR ONLY 48 hours. Please use this link to redeem your free game and please like our Facebook Page https://www.gog.com/redeem We are really sorry that so many of you missed the free download on Jan 31. Hope this helps. 😀
https://www.facebook.com/ConstructorHD/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom