• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 |OT3| : DIE HARDEREST (HAPPY NEW YEAR WOOHOO!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallout

Demand for the cards is going up as the supply goes down. F5'ing the first page of a card and they are all marked as Sold!, which shows the rate at which they're being purchased.

Ilúvatar;95727712 said:
Steam card prices follow a U-shaped trajectory during sales. When they are first released, they are posted at artificially high prices. As more people post them to the Market, everyone keeps trying to undercut everyone else - so the price decreases. At the end of the sale, these artificially cheap cards are purchased at such a rate that the cards posted earlier become the cheapest.
This also happens in short term fluctuations. As cheap ones get snatched up, some people will buy at higher prices. Then, cheap ones come back into play.

But those more expensive cards wont all be sold. They will die. 200k cards are going to die because people wont lower the price.
An unfortunate byproduct of them being forgotten about, I think.

inm8num2

Looks like cards are disappearing from the market and inventories at a gradual rate, making it appear that prices are inflating.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
what is going on???

atlcUyk.png

Kadin

Is it possible that the ones showing 'sold' at those higher prices are cards being removed by the system? Not actually sold...?

inm8num2

I think you're correct. Nothing new seems to be being posted to the market.

And if you click on a card's market page, it says the card has expired.

They're all saying "Sold!" possibly because the cards are expiring or being removed, but if someone who posted a card at $0.70 or greater can confirm whether they sold or not might be interesting.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Has anyone tried listing a new card? It's probably that nothing new is getting posted and these are the remnants of high priced cards.

denx

Yeah, I should probably had held off on those snow globes earlier, but if I hadn't sold them I wouldn't had been able to buy Ys and Valdis Story. You win some, you lose some I guess.

Still pretty pissed that I was one community vote away from getting a new card. >_>

Grief.exe

Yeah, I should probably had held off on those snow globes earlier, but if I hadn't sold them I wouldn't had been able to buy Ys and Valdis Story. You win some, you lose some I guess.

Still pretty pissed that I was one community vote away from getting a new card. >_>

Something to remember for the next year. Save your cards for the last minute lol

danielg1138

Neo Member
I bought a card at 2:02 or so, right when they started going up, and it didn't show up in my inventory even though the money was deducted from my Wallet. I think they've expired but still show up on the market, and a whole lot of people aren't going to be happy when they don't get anything in their inventories.

(Also, sorry, long-time lurker, first-time poster in this thread... a little late? =P)

the cards you see are from end of the list, where people post them for ridiculous prices
. those cards are useless now.. Cannot craft a badge, unlike Steam Summer Cards

cicero

I regret crafting 3 levels right now lol

I would have liked to have crafted a level 10 snowglobe because it was the best looking out of them all, but prices never hit that magical 5-7 cent price point, so I only crafted a level 1 as a kind of monument to my sale participation. I did spent a whole $.20 on a :trainbowbarf: emoticon and flipped that into $.60 and kept on flipping until I made $13 though. That is a far greater monument than a higher level badge. Free Steam monies.

Grief.exe

I bought a card at 2:02 or so, right when they started going up, and it didn't show up in my inventory even though the money was deducted from my Wallet. I think they've expired but still show up on the market, and a whole lot of people aren't going to be happy when they don't get anything in their inventories.

(Also, sorry, long-time lurker, first-time poster in this thread... a little late? =P)

Valve will probably return the funds, going to take a while to get this all sorted.

I would have liked to have crafted a level 10 snowglobe because it was the best looking out of them all, but prices never hit that magical 5-7 cent price point, so I only crafted a level 1 as a kind of monument to my sale participation. I did spent a whole $.20 on a :trainbowbarf: emoticon and flipped that into $.60 and kept on flipping until I made $13 though. That is a far greater monument than a higher level badge. Free Steam monies.

That's some pretty good flipping. I wanted that level 10 as well.

I'll settle for the 3

7f913c953aaad765e62160bbdc67b34ad5b81d3c.png

AsylumX

My snow globe cards ain't showing up on my inventory but if you go to the "badges" section I says that i got 6 of them...

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
I stuck with badge level 2 because it's red and red is da bes' color :>
...Also I'm not willing to pay a single red cent for cards so that's as far as I could get with buying and voting.

That's probably it. It's "selling" too fast to make sense right now.
Huh. I wonder if this is going to seriously fuck with price history.

"OMG the snow globes were selling for like $10 at the end of the winter sale, gotta hold on to these summer sale 2014 cards until the last possible moment!"

denx

Yeah, I also crafted a Level 1 badge as a sort of monument of my participation in this sale, and sold the rest.

Seeing people lose their cards now makes me glad I sold my cards when I did lol

maty

Sold all my cards when the sale started and bought them back yesterday. I have nice lvl 10 badge.

And a PoE item worth 4+

Hah. Thanks.

I'm actually aware of the site, but don't normally agree with a lot of the numbers on there so I find it unbeneficial in most cases -- not sure why, but my playtimes are usually radically different than what's submitted.

I think the last time I used it for something useful was defending the fact that you could platinum Guacamelee in under 15 hours by comparing it to other "metroidvania" type games. :D

Yeah, I also crafted a Level 1 badge as a sort of monument of my participation in this sale, and sold the rest.

Seeing people lose their cards now makes me glad I sold my cards when I did lol

This is how I do it.

This sale, I started using some extra "play" money to level up a little on cheap badges to try to increase the odds of getting foils for a better return.

HoosTrax

I'm curious if there are people out there who play the Steam market on a semi-professional basis. What I mean is that I can imagine someone, maybe self-employed at home at some sort of telemarketing, tech support, or whatever job, flipping things continuously. Could probably make enough money to cover food costs for a day at least.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thank you for Unearthed, Rhaknar! I promise to... unearth card money, should the game receive card drops. ;)

Grief.exe

Hah. Thanks.

I'm actually aware of the site, but don't normally agree with a lot of the numbers on there so I find it unbeneficial in most cases -- not sure why, but my playtimes are usually radically different than what's submitted.

I think the last time I used it for something useful was defending the fact that you could platinum Guacamelee in under 15 hours by comparing it to other "metroidvania" type games. :D

I generally just look at the required times and that is pretty close. I will usually get in in hour or two under what they have allotted.

Eternia

That's a pretty nice return. I contemplated about amassing rares/uncommons early on but couldn't get myself to pull the trigger. These do seem a bit more popular than the summer ones for obvious reasons. I tried to flip those after the summer sale but didn't exactly get the return I wanted (although still a few bucks ahead).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom