• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Sales 2014 |OT3| : DIE HARDEREST (HAPPY NEW YEAR WOOHOO!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireblend

Banned
Well, it was a nice sale, and I managed to not spend too much:

Starbound
To The Moon
Gone Home
Brothers
Don't Starve x3 (dat pricing error)
Kerbal Space Program (Friend gifted it to me)
Shelter (GF gifted it to me)
Guacamelee (GF gifted it to me)
XCOM: Enemy Within ($10 @ Amazon, still counts!)

Awesome haul, really satisfied. Still missing Rogue Legacy and Papers, Please but I wouldn't play them anyway so they'll have to wait 'til the next sale.

P.S. Anyone got any spare #4 or #5 cards? I'd like to craft at least something :p

Anteater

I'd agree it's not exciting, but, easily Top 5 games I played in 2013. Gorgeous and tough but true to life story. The underground part w/ the trolls is slow though, it opens up.

Yea that's where I'm at, I'll keep at it though, I probably just need to be in the right mood to play it since I usually don't mind slower paced games.

Xavin

Neo Member
Tried it now for the first time, it's cool but to me it seems that the font is too small

That can be changed in settings.ini under \Steam\skins\PixelVision

Remove the // infront of include "resource/styles/tweaks/fs_large.styles"

or the other one. (there is one large and one larger font size)

DedValve

Banned
Quick guys I have a late 2013 (just recently purchased) Macbook pro retina.

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel Iris 1024 MB

Can I play Civ 5 decently even at lower graphics? Super tempted to get my feet wet in the Civ series

Zafir

Have you seen the Bioware points DLC trainwreck for Mass Effect/Dragon Age?
That's some seriously anti-consumer bullshit that should get whoever decided on that roasted over an open fire.
Sure, I don't disagree their DLC system was horrible but that's another discussion entirely. They weren't removed from steam because it was anti-consumerist, it was removed from steam because valve wasn't getting a cut from the ingame transactions. Not to mention them getting removed wasn't going to get EA to rewrite the way the games do DLC. It just meant people were forced to go to Origin instead of Steam.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not defending EA for not putting up games on steam. However I thought valve were a bit petty removing EAs games from steam because EA decided to do DLC through their own system.
But Valve didn't do that. EA took them out of its own accord. The restriction wasn't retroactive, so the games already on Steam wouldn't have been affected by it.

Jonm1010

Banned
So I got Ys 1 and 2 in the sale but am wondering about oath and origins. To anyone familiar with the series can you tell me your favorite one and which in the series is the best one to start off with?

If I remember right people were saying the first one aged the worst and probably would be a poor introduction for newcomers.

Turfster

Sure, I don't disagree their DLC system was horrible but that's another discussion entirely. They weren't removed from steam because it was anti-consumerist, it was removed from steam because valve wasn't getting a cut from the ingame transactions. Not to mention them getting removed wasn't going to get EA to rewrite the way the games do DLC. It just meant people were forced to go to Origin instead of Steam.

Well, as others have said, if EA had offered new DLC in the Steam store too, there probably wouldn't have been a problem, and it makes sense to force everyone on your digital distribution system to be adherent to the same rules, because otherwise that would have left Valve open to serious abuse.

ChaoticEko

Neo Member
Most I've ever bought during a sale. Pretty excited for all the games i will play now. Not excited for my wallet.

Gone Home
Rogue Legacy
Damned
Delver
XCOM Enemy Unknown
Valdis Story: Abyssal City
Interstellar Marines
Grid 2
Castle Story
Deadpool
Bioshock Infinite Season Pass
Bioshock Infinite
Mark of the Ninja
Ticket to Ride
Don't Starve
Poker Night 2
Dark Souls
SpeedRunners
PixelJunk Eden
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Forbidden Worlds
Sins: Rebellion Stellar Phenomena DLC
Cook, Serve, Delicious!
Wargame Franchise Pack
Spelunky
Papers, Please
Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider: Tomb of Lost Adventurer
Tomb Raider: Multiplayer Map Pack Bundle
Pinball FX2 - Captain America Table
Pinball FX2 - Civil War Table
Pinball FX2 - Paranormal Table
Trackmania Stadium
Mirror's Edge Comp
Long Live The Queen
Super Hexagon 2-Pack
Hacker Evolution Duality
Shattered Haven
Skyward Collapse
A Valley Without Wind
Doc Clock: The Toasted Sandwich of Time
Teleglitch: Base Game
Gnomoria
Blade Symphony

derExperte

But Valve didn't do that. EA took them out of its own accord. The restriction wasn't retroactive, so the games already on Steam wouldn't have been affected by it.

Can't think of one right now but I'm sure there were and still are games on Steam that do DLC not through Steam.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do me a favor and ask Bethesda for Prey.

I've been meaning to send an e-mail to Bethesda/id and ask about Quake Wars (all rights reverted back to id in 2011 and the game was developed by the independent Splash Damage, so there's no conflict of interest), but in the meantime you can ask a UK GAFer to order a copy and PM you the key.

So I got Ys 1 and 2 in the sale but am wondering about oath and origins. To anyone familiar with the series can you tell me your favorite one and which in the series is the best one to start off with?

If I remember right people were saying the first one aged the worst and probably would be a poor introduction for newcomers.
Ys: Oath is the pinnacle of the series (and possibly the entire Action RPG genre).

The stories are all stand-alone, although Ys Origin does benefit from having played Ys I & II beforehand (but it's not necessary).

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I almost said 'and so is EA' but seeing as they do sales of their old games all the time I guess they just don't want to lose face by admitting they f'd up when they went Origin-exclusive for newer stuff.
Yes, I want to know how it ends, the suspense is killing me.

Jonm1010

Banned
Ys: Oath is the pinnacle of the series (and possibly the entire Action RPG genre).

The stories are all stand-alone, although Ys Origin does benefit from having played Ys I & II beforehand (but it's not necessary).
Thanks. I'll probably grab oath and start with that.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
morning. no more flashes huh? oh well was just about ready to put a fork in this sale (sale season even) really

The_Monk

This Anno 1404 gave me hope again. I was even looking at someone playing Anno 2070 and this game sure seems very relaxing to play. It's very pretty too. Shame about all the DRM inclusion, wish they could make things simple.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Yeah, I thought the rule was you don't have to ONLY sell DLC through the Steam store, but the DLC has to be AVAILABLE on the Steam store or something like that.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/69194/ea-crysis-2-pulled-from

EA had a game that was sold on Steam, but had DLC exclusive to Direct 2 Drive; apparently that went against Valve's new rules at the time.

That's EA's story, anyway. Valve never made a statement.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Brace yourself, Haul posts are coming
Yup.
Keep 'em coming.

Never bought so much during the sale season as this time. Great Scott.

Posted a list a week ago, just because I like 'em. Thought that was it. It's almost twice as big now. :p

Another World
The Bard's Tale (Received from ZeroCoin)
Gianna Sisters: Twisted Bundle
La Mulana (gifted)
Left 4 Dead 2
Mark Of The Ninja DLC
Pixeljunk Eden
Rogue Legacy
The Bridge
Sword of the Stars: The Pit (gifted)
Tomb Raider: Legend (gifted)

Fallout 3 GOTY (UPlay)
Guacamelee! (HumbleBundle)
Guacamelee! (Gifted, HumbleBundle)

Castle of Illusion (Amazon)
Fable (Amazon)
Psychonauts (Gifted, Amazon)
Sam & Max Save The World (Gifted, Amazon)

AMD Code:
Thief
Saints Row IV
Sleeping Dogs

So many great games. Good times. :)
Everything together costed me around 40 Euro's. It's insanely cheap.
And i'm playing Dark Souls...

Quick guys I have a late 2013 (just recently purchased) Macbook pro retina.

Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel Iris 1024 MB

Can I play Civ 5 decently even at lower graphics? Super tempted to get my feet wet in the Civ series

It will be playable, gonna run worse the more you explore of the world, but at least it's turnbased so you won't really need them FPS.
If you can stand it being sluggish and wait a while between turns (especially in the end), go for it.
At least you can set up games in small worlds with only a few opponents if it gets too bad in a big world.

Zafir

Nope. Not from what was brought to light at the time. It seemed like Valve removed them because they didn't like the microtransactions in the game that they werent getting a cut from.

It wasnt retroactive mass effect games stayed on. Hell crysis 2 even came back in the form of the maximum edition which contained all the DLC meaning there wasn't any microtransactions to do. Id assume dragon age 2 would have aswell had ot have gotten a GOTY edition.

Eitherway pointless discussing it further as it happened ages ago. I just disagreed with Valve removing them. I also don't like the EA dlc system and I don't like most of their games being origin only for reference.

Monooboe

What are the chances of Proteous getting more of a sale? Seems it will go back to regular price in some hours, eventhough it's not the end of the sale.o_O

hlhbk

Most I've ever bought during a sale. Pretty excited for all the games i will play now. Not excited for my wallet.

Gone Home
Rogue Legacy
Damned
Delver
XCOM Enemy Unknown
Valdis Story: Abyssal City
Interstellar Marines
Grid 2
Castle Story
Deadpool
Bioshock Infinite
Mark of the Ninja
Ticket to Ride
Don't Starve
Poker Night 2
Dark Souls
SpeedRunners
PixelJunk Eden
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion Forbidden Worlds
Sins: Rebellion Stellar Phenomena DLC
Cook, Serve, Delicious!
Wargame Franchise Pack
Spelunky
Papers, Please
Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider: Tomb of Lost Adventurer
Tomb Raider: Multiplayer Map Pack Bundle
Pinball FX2 - Captain America Table
Pinball FX2 - Civil War Table
Pinball FX2 - Paranormal Table
Trackmania Stadium
Mirror's Edge Comp
Long Live The Queen
Super Hexagon 2-Pack
Hacker Evolution Duality
Shattered Haven
Skyward Collapse
A Valley Without Wind
Doc Clock: The Toasted Sandwich of Time
Teleglitch: Base Game
Gnomoria
Blade Symphony

Welcome to the Steam sales! The land of buying games that go into your backlog never to be played!
The real game is adding to your backlog.

So, in the hopes this ends up on the Spring/Summer/Autumn/Winter Sale of 2014,

Please vote for Burrito Galaxy 64: Mega-Tortilla Bean Saga 30X6 - Planetoid SAL-5A XIV Directors Cut: Extreme Edition on Greenlight.

637x358.resizedimage

I love the description:

// WARNING! : THIS GAME HAS NO GUNS, BLOOD, OR ZOMBIES, THEREFOR IS NOT A REAL GAME \\

GRAB UR BURRITO N SUIT UP, ITS TIME TO BEAN IT UP!

SLAP, BURP, AND SWACK YOUR WAY THROUGH COUPLES OF PUZZLES, SOME OF DUNGEONS AND TWO OF BOSS.

BECOME GUAC - THE FIRST FEMALE BEAN COMMANDER IN BURRITO GALAXY - AND DELIVER THE INTERSTELLAR BEAN PAYLOAD!

EXPLORE ALIEN PLANET WHERE IN PIRATES HAVE TAKEN YOUR BEAN CORE.

HOW WILL GUAC DELIVER THE BEANS NOW!?

FEATURES -
GROOVY COOL TUNES
WIGGITY WACK HAND DRAW ART
SUPER SWAG ITEMS AND COMBAT
TOTALLY TOOBULAR CONVERSATION WITH ALIENS AND HIDDEN RAPPER GIRL
IF YOU DIE IN THE GAME YOU DIE FOR REAL

DO YOU HAVE WHAT IT TAKES? CAN YOU ASCEND YOUR MORTAL HUSK AND LEAVE BEHIND THIS WASTE OF A LIFE IN PURSUIT OF HIGHER BURRITOS?

Fonz72

Is Valdis Story a difficult game? What is is comparable to? The trailer looks (and sounds) fantastic, but I suck at "hard" platformers/action games.

I have stayed away from Spelunky and La Mulana for instance.

Not a bad haul! Spent more than I thought I would.

Early Access:
Rust Alpha (No discount)
DayZ (No discount)
Overgrowth
Kerbal Space Program
Nether - Watcher
Assetto Corsa
Blade Symphony
SpeedRunners

Regular:
Natural Selection II
Deadpool (Gamefly)
Poker Night 2
Risk of Rain
PixelJunk Eden + Soundtrack
The Swapper
Gunpoint Exclusive Edition
Saints Row IV: Season Pass
Saints Row IV - Commander in Chief Pack DLC
Saints Row IV - Element of Destruction Pack
Saints Row IV: Child´s Play Pack
Giana Sisters: Twisted Bundle
Assassin's Creed Revelations - Gold Edition
Aliens: Colonial Marines (Amazon)
Call of Juarez Gunslinger (Amazon)
Cook, Serve, Delicious!
Euro Truck Simulator 2 Gold Version
Super Hexagon
Celebrat10n TrackMania2 Pack
Assassin's Creed III - Deluxe Edition (Amazon)
Rogue Legacy
The Walking Dead: 400 Days (Amazon?)
Far Cry 3 - Deluxe Upgrade DLC
Sleeping Dogs DLC Collection
Monaco

Hasney

What are the chances of Proteous getting more of a sale? Seems it will go back to regular price in some hours, eventhough it's not the end of the sale.o_O

The end of the sale is in just over 3 hours from this post. The only things surviving tomorrow will be the current daily sales and possibly a batch of encores.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Did the Fallout 3 you got on Uplay redeem on Steam fellow GAFfer? I remember being quite cheap but I never knew if it was a Steam key or not, thanks in advance!
It did. Just redeem the serial you get in the mail on Steam and presto.
Sale is still going. :)

I've been meaning to send an e-mail to Bethesda/id and ask about Quake Wars (all rights reverted back to id in 2011 and the game was developed by the independent Splash Damage, so there's no conflict of interest), but in the meantime you can ask a UK GAFer to order a copy and PM you the key.

Thanks JaseC, you rule.

If any UK gaffer is willing to help me I'll paypal the cost of the game and shipping in advance, they can send me the key once they receive the game from amazon.

scojitsu

Really tempted by the Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon/ Call of Juarez Gunslinger bundle. Seems like a very good deal at £6.79.

Anyone?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
We had a haul thread for the summer sale, but I'm not sure if it would be necessary this time since this sale's threads didn't get as much traction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom