• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the article:

This news should be a shock for potential Kickstarter game backers. If you can’t trust a group like The Yogscast to deliver a product, who can you trust?

I dunno, how about groups with people that have proven track records in making games (Double Fine, inXile, etc.) as opposed to Let's Players?

holy shit that quote
nhr7bou.gif

Why am I not really surprised the yogcast game kickstarter turned out to be a big dud?

That sounds like the worst example so far, considering how much money they got.

I have backed one game that also completely failed, Unwritten: That Which Happened, but they "only" received $78k, was quite open what happened, didn't take forever to admit it, and according to a later update, they did refund those who asked for it.

Lain

Thought I'd set up a little SpeedRunners competition, I'm feeling a bit ballsy so it's with a special prize!

Prize:
http://steamcommunity-a.akamaihd.ne...lDpoREXT77H4Yf5MKaHI40PeLobNIxmAYZsj8/330x192

Rules:
1. You do not already own this game.
2. You will activate it to your own library, no trading or reselling the gift.
3. You have to be the winner of a full race.
4. We will play a race once in every level.

Quote this post to reserve a spot in the competition!

Competitors:
#1: DunderHassan
#2: BernadoOne
#3: Kiru
#4:

I wanna see the livestream for this epic race.

Parsnip

but I kind of wish Namco had saved the money they paid Bugbear and put it towards a PC port of Ridge Racer 2 (PSP) instead.
Not too long ago I read an article on Bugbear and how they were nearly bankrupt before they managed to get NCG going, and the article said (loosely translated) "According to Bugbear the publisher simply didn't pay hundreds of thousands for work that Bugbear had already done, and so Bugbear couldn't pay their taxes."

Now, it doesn't say who's the publisher, but considering Sega Rally Revo (2007) is Bugbear's previous game before Unbounded, it does sound very much like Bamco didn't pay. Unless it's some project that never saw the light of day of course.

Sort of reminds me of Grin and SquareEnix. Nordic developers and Japanese publishers don't mix.

From the article:

I dunno, how about groups with people that have proven track records in making games (Double Fine, inXile, etc.) as opposed to Let's Players?
Exactly. I follow dozens of campaigns since I manage the 2014 KS thread. Sorry, but putting your faith in some Let's Players is just ridiculous.

And it doesn't even have to be to proven devs. Every game I've backed has had steady regular updates from the devs. The duds, scams, failures don't diminish the work and dedication of all the developers who actually are working hard to deliver to their backers.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Wasteland 2 has been a huge disappointment for me so far. Don't know how much the final release that is a month away will differ from the current build, but it's really not impressive at all. Makes you wonder where all that money went especially If you compare it to Divinity Original Sin that had half the budget

As much as I love D:OS, according to Swen, it actually cost around $5.4 million to complete. I would love to know how many people are working on Wasteland 2 though. Larian is only around 40 people.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Indiegala finally put up steam keys for Soul Gambler from the Greenlight Bundle 3.

still waiting for Super Panda Adventures from #2

so indiegala put out soul gambler keys faster than indieroyale put out millenium 2 keys? unexpected

Dr Dogg

So how much does Blur cost these days in keys? I bet it's a damn sight more than a copy of Speedrunners. Not that anyone has much of a chance against the Dundernator from what I've heard.

So how much does Blur cost these days in keys? I bet it's a damn sight more than a copy of Speedrunners. Not that anyone has much of a chance against the Dundernator from what I've heard.

From what I've seen, certainly noone new. But maybe with enough practice?

I don't think I ever will though :p

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Gamersgate has some interesting stuff on sale, interesting because I believe this is the cheapest these games have been anyware:

75% off on 1954 Alcatraz - 5€
75% off on Spellforce 2 Demons of the Past (the latest xpac) - 5€
75% off on Deadfall Adventures - 10€ (shame the base price is still 39.99, I kinda want this bad lol)

redlacs

play any Civilization should be on everyones do before die list

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sid Meier's Civilization III: Complete -- MB-AAFAACD355CC58BE

t1405431826z1.png

Finished Ys II:

I dunno how anyone plays that game without a guide. The last 2-3 hours consists of leaving and returning to a maze, with the game really not guiding you all that much through that process.

I found Ys II much more frustrating that Ys I, where the game spreads its dungeons out and never seems like an exercise in patience. If you make the mistake of walking away from the last dungeon for a couple of days and come back, just be ready to kinda sorta never find your footing again without an FAQ by your side.

I'm just relieved that Ys II is over. I feel as if i might have made a mistake playing the first 2 Ys games before getting into Oath or Origins because now I'm terrified of the notion of 3d windy mazes and a game that's too comfortable being obtuse.

Yeah, play both of these games with a guide but ESPECIALLY Ys II, if you must play them.

Lain

This Speedrunners competition is pretty funny to watch.
I think the best part is when Dunder stops to wait for someone and then goes for the win.

Chocobro

Why is Dunder so good at Speedrunners? haha.

Near the end of the stream he got stuck between those two yellow/black sticks, that was pretty funny.

Rhaknar

It's kinda bullshit how they are releasing an updated version of the game for PS3 only... and they trailer they put out is blatantly PC level footage.

havent even heard of this. Im a sucker for B-movie style janky games, but that base price is killing me. would have insta bought of it was 5€ like the other 2 I mentioned (which I did insta buy :p)

Anteater

fuck this last boss in tomb raider legend

9a5nxsenkt.gif

just beat him, much easier once i could get the lock-on on him at a distance so i could spam attack

Finished Ys II:

I dunno how anyone plays that game without a guide. The last 2-3 hours consists of leaving and returning to a maze, with the game really not guiding you all that much through that process.

I found Ys II much more frustrating that Ys I, where the game spreads its dungeons out and never seems like an exercise in patience. If you make the mistake of walking away from the last dungeon for a couple of days and come back, just be ready to kinda sorta never find your footing again without an FAQ by your side.

I'm just relieved that Ys II is over. I feel as if i might have made a mistake playing the first 2 Ys games before getting into Oath or Origins because now I'm terrified of the notion of 3d windy mazes and a game that's too comfortable being obtuse.

Yeah, play both of these games with a guide but ESPECIALLY Ys II, if you must play them.

Don't be scared of later Ys games. I love the original 2, but even I recognize that they're a bit obtuse in terms of level design. When I played Book I & II originally on the Turbo CD back in 95 (and I'd played Ys I back in 89 on the Sega Master System), I do recall getting stuck multiple times, and just combing every square inch to get through. The layout for Chronicles is actually slightly better. The other games benefit from being more modern. If you got through Ys I & II, you should have no problems negotiating the other games.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
This Speedrunners competition is pretty funny to watch.
I think the best part is when Dunder stops to wait for someone and then goes for the win.

Yeah... the best part :'(

From my perspective, it's the worst

It's like he doesn't even have to try... just smashing other players left and right

dunder pls stahp

He never does, he broke me a long time ago...

I swear I did beat him one time...

Kipp could do it.

Hehe yeah, Kipp is just as good as me, the matches against him are crazy intense and those matches are the best!
Really looking forward to when you guys have put in a few hours in this game and will come up to our level, even if it's a lot fun to troll you too :D

Near the end of the stream he got stuck between those two yellow/black sticks, that was pretty funny.

Haha, and then The_Super_Inframan hooks me and goes through the closed gate, that was beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom