• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014-2 In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

A few more titles are getting sorted in the registry:

Quake 4 (sortas - Quake IV), the Commandos series, and the Jedi Knight series. Cool.

edit: and now Thief.

Didn't get to go get my steam wallet cards for my giveaway because I got my eyebrows done. I think I am going to die from pain.
In other news, Crysis is fun

It's really good, holds up well. I've been playing that and the original Stronghold HD

What mods/tweaks are you using?

And Valve fixing the horrible title sequencing make me temporarily happy and forgetful of my terrible fuckups on my exams.

Didn't get to go get my steam wallet cards for my giveaway because I got my eyebrows done. I think I am going to die from pain.
It's really good, holds up well. I've been playing that and the original Stronghold HD
Do you use any mods? Looks better than I remember vanilla looking.
Also, how is your rig?

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I may actually buy the DD, Stronghold Crusader.

Just watched a polish dude stream it..of course I don't know polish but still.

I do ;) but yeah - Stronghold Crusader is a pretty good game - definitely worth it at the current price :)

just won that M&M thing for the 8th time, whats the best way of adding the funds to your steam account without having to get locked out of the market everytime?

Deitus

It all ends up mashing buttons for me. I just make Donkey Kong pound the ground.

Well that's certainly one way to play. Certainly skill plays a factor, and a skilled player is going to dominate a casual player the same as any other multiplayer game.

The point is that Smash Bros does not require the pure memorization that turns off many people (myself included) from the fighting game genre. To bring it back to Abyss Odyssey so as to not be completely off topic, this means that people who are getting turned off from the game because of fear of memorization are probably very much off base.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
I've been meaning to do this for a while. For a long while.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 23 Steam keys & 5 Origin keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Steam Keys
Alan Wake Collector's Edition -- MB-CFB1C6925D94291F - Taken by jmizzal
Alan Wake's American Nightmare -- MB-5CB34EC289765F21
Antichamber -- MB-1EFC5EEAA9167856
Bastion -- MB-AA365259A4B2D95A
BioShock -- MB-EACF69E7113A60A1 - Taken by Joonytoon
BioShock 2 -- MB-4C924DC85C437895 - Taken by 2n2
Broken Sword: Director's Cut -- MB-107505D75088D84F - Taken by jon bones
Faerie Solitaire -- MB-C9405686914A1482
Gemini Rue -- MB-77D5435475513F1D
Greed Corp -- MB-E3209F6466ED170B - Taken by Coldsun - Taken by Jawmuncher
Hero Academy -- MB-B98F3EE35D2F3B70
Indie Game: The Movie -- MB-89A21C5BF84BA27C
Little Inferno -- MB-222C65B562B6BABE
Mark of the Ninja -- MB-2B76B7CBCB4A1739
Mafia II -- MB-67948B001E5B8BDD - Taken by Berlok
Nightsky -- MB-14044FA85F81D279
Organ Trail: Director's Cut -- MB-8DBE0A07FAC8DE2C
Really Big Sky -- MB-DD926B74B96EAD69
Solar 2 -- MB-24A23EB66A0094D1
Spec Ops: The Line -- MB-9943E3185B02B6BB - Taken by X05
Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP -- MB-3671CF0D40CA4447 - Taken by Hugstable
The Bard's Tale -- MB-906B8BDB87C0F7AC - Taken by electroflame
Trine 2: Complete Story -- MB-214A608F00F209B2 - Taken by Kaper

Origin Keys
vRvbDCu.png
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box (Origin) -- MB-A68B3924653AFEF1
vRvbDCu.png
Crysis 2: Maximum Edition (Origin) -- MB-5F35CC6FAE72BD98
vRvbDCu.png
Dead Space (Origin) -- MB-A8472DF68B38F393 - Taken by shira
vRvbDCu.png
Medal of Honor (Origin) -- MB-BB85C71D75038251 - Taken by lindarasta
vRvbDCu.png
Mirror's Edge (Origin) -- MB-B73563C5821047C3 - Taken by anastef

t1404936570z1.png

Better late than never I suppose. Maybe someone can invite me to the NeoGAF group too? (http://steamcommunity.com/id/breakyboy)

S1n1st3r

Banned
Well that's the thing about Smash Bros, you don't need to memorize anything. All of your moves are done with a combination of a single direction input and a single button press. Super simple. Not that there isn't plenty of depth there as well.

I haven't much followed Abyss Odyssey, but if it's being compared to Smash Bros, expect it to be incredibly easy to pick up, but difficult to master.

That sounds perfect. Yeah I'd be down for that kind of control scheme.

Oh man, I know it may be short lived, but I never expected to see full NeoTokyo servers again.
That reminds me, I need to go check that out. I think I tried it a couple years after it launched and couldn't get a full server going.

I wonder if GoldenEye Source being released as a standalone mod on Steam would help it's numbers? I love that game but no one plays it anymore hardly.

Ventara

My short review of Valiant Hearts. Thanks again Shadownet for giving it to me!

TL:DR Version: Valiant Hearts is a 2D puzzle adventure game set during WWI, following the exploits of 4 characters during said time period. A nice art style, endearing characters and fitting music helps set the tone of the game. Gameplay is quite varied for a game in this genre, so you'll never feel bored or tired of playing it, especially since it's only 5-6 hours long. Overall, I found Valiant Hearts to be a very enjoyable experience. Though it may not be as good as Limbo, Machinarium or Braid to some, I think it's an excellent addition to any fan of the genre, or fans of games in general since the game is quite accessible to all.

Story: The game is set during WWI, and follows the personal struggles and hardships of 4 characters as they are forced into such a terrible war. Each of the characters has their own set of motivations that are revealed to you throughout the game, and you can't help but root for them as you get to know them better. The narrator for this game gives us brief summaries of the happening of the war between each gameplay section, setting the tone and giving us an understanding of the situation the character finds themselves in. Though hardly conclusive, the game does manage to give us a cohesive outline of the war, with optional tidbits for us to read to gain more insight on the war. Overall, the game did a good job telling the story, and you get caught up in the situation the characters find themselves in. Whether it's feeling the rush in the heat of battle or the sadness as you witness all the death around you, the game portrays it well to the player.

Music and Sound: The music was good and very fitting for the game. Each scenario had a perfect track accompanying it. Likewise, the little quips and grunts from the characters added a certain charm and personality to the game, from gruff Freddie to gentle Anna. The music really add a lot to this game simply because of how much it helps get the feeling of the situation across. Whether it's a sad melody or a quick one for an escape, the game has a phenomenal soundtrack that suits it perfectly.

Gameplay: The gameplay in this game was quite varied, from the traditional puzzle adventure elements where you control your character as they interact with the environment, to mini-games such as you escaping in a car or a rhythm game as you heal people. All of it fits well with the story and situation, and doesn't feel out of place or weird, if not tad simple. In addition, each character has their own set of skills, which adds to the diversity of the game, even if they are technically the same gameplay-wise. Being in the middle of battle with Freddie/Emille and thinking on your feet feels quite different from Anna running around in medical unit trying to save as many lives as she can. Though the gameplay may not be anything revolutionary and is simple, it does it well and is diverse enough to stay enjoyable for the entire game, and then some.

I'm not really good with reviews, but hopefully I can sway you to get it if you've been on the edge. It really is a great game with a captivating story to tell.

S1n1st3r

Banned

Does Crysis steam have any extra DRM? like limited activation/authorization bullshit?

Shadownet

Banned
this is kinda BS, I paid more than $6 for the humble bundle before the price increased. and they only gave me the Tier 1 game not Tier 2 as well.

this is kinda BS, I paid more than $6 for the humble bundle before the price increased. and they only gave me the Tier 1 game not Tier 2 as well.
Try getting in touch with support. That doesn't sound right. I mean unless the average jumped before you finished the transaction or something, which can happen.

BruteUA

Is anyone getting a CS: GO game going tonight? I don't want to take the lead because I've got storms rolling through and I'm not sure if I'll make it.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Contact the site's support team, I'm sure they'll give you keys for Tier 2 if you explain it to them. From what I understand, the Humble support team is actually kind of good.

I'm not really good with reviews, but hopefully I can sway you to get it if you've been on the edge. It really is a great game with a captivating story to tell.

I don't know, those impressions seemed fine to me :p

Anyone know how to unlock the 3rd book of fables entry in Wolf Among Us Episode 5?

It's the one between:

Puddin' N' Pie and Big Bad Wolf

Fo'real man. that game is a gem.

That's a game where the GAF hype doesn't sync up with my tastes apparently.
Solid for $1, maybe.
A real gem? Fuck no.

Lomax

Look and see how much it thinks you need to increase your payment to, it may only need a penny or two more.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone can guess what the next games in the tier 2 could be? Just paid for the tier 1, since I owned every game besides Darkness 2.

Stump posted about it in the last thread.

Taking into account that the licensing issues with NBA definitely prohibit it from being in this bundle, Duke, Civ, and Borderlands seem like the best options. Everything else seems a little too old or weird, the Civ spinoffs seem unlikely.

So I'd guess maybe two of DNF, Borderlands 1, and Civ 5 as BTA bonuses?

I'm leaning more towards thinking that Borderlands or Civ V will be the bonuses more than anything else.

cHinzo

I accidentally posted in here. Whoops.

Anyway, is there a way to know how much exactly did I pay for a game? I mean, apart from looking through email receipts.

I think it's possible if u click on ur account details and then on store transactions, but only if u bought it directly through Steam.

Shadownet

Banned
thats why you always go a couple cents higher my man!

I went 20 cents higher :p lol!

Contact the site's support team, I'm sure they'll give you keys for Tier 2 if you explain it to them. From what I understand, the Humble support team is actually kind of good.

I sure will. yeah they seem amazing so far for customer support.

That's a game where the GAF hype doesn't sync up with my tastes apparently.
Solid for $1, maybe.
A real gem? Fuck no.

I got it for $1. and its great for that price. a gem in my book :p

The worst thing is all the crazy people saying it's better than the God of War games :/

Not even close. It's not a bad entry in the genre, but something is off. Add in the story that I didn't really give a damn about, really annoying cutscenes, and a gaping hole left where there should have been boss fights and I'm not of the mind to put it anywhere near the A list character action games. It's B tier to me at best.

I've been meaning to do this for a while. For a long while.

Better late than never I suppose. Maybe someone can invite me to the NeoGAF group too? (http://steamcommunity.com/id/breakyboy)
Great Giveaway!

I'd like to invite you into the gaf steam group but you're not accepting my friend request. I can't do it without you being on my friend list. Accept freshVeggie, yo!
Thanks for accepting but someone else got you invited already!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom