• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2017 - Magical Pyres can't melt Cold Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hollow Knight will probably be in Humble Monthly eventually, but I wouldn't expect it for the next year at least.

Dusk Golem

I hope not, more people need to buy it at full price to fund the next one! Same with Prey.

I agree with you, and the thing is I think more developers are getting aware of this. you might have noticed some games are starting to be more apprehensive to go on too low a discount or be part of bundles, and there's good reason for that.

It's in the end the call of the developers, though.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I agree with you, and the thing is I think more developers are getting aware of this. you might have noticed some games are starting to be more apprehensive to go on too low a discount or be part of bundles, and there's good reason for that.

It's in the end the call of the developers, though.

There's a combination of issues with bundles these days. In the beginning Humble had a wide range of indies released over a few years that they could pick from, and developers may have had a longer time for their games to be sold at full price before sales dry up, putting them in bundles gave a fresh source of revenue and lead to a few more sales from word of mouth following the bundles. The longer they go on, the more they've reduced their pool of high profile titles to pick from and the more recent the games included would have to be, which reduces the time that developers have had to sell their games at that higher price. People have also started to devalue the games in their minds because they expect a bundle, and when there is one a lot more people are buying them, leading to less opportunity for future sales as a result.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
They have been in some cases, those with rights issues and some others. Like all things Valve they are inconsistent so it always pays to be careful.

Just to so there's no confusion here, subs tied to publicly-distributed retail keys are changed to "Unavailable" if the game in question was pulled due to a DMCA takedown request, which renders any and all unused keys useless. Those who'd already activated a key don't lose access to the game and spare gift copies are unaffected (not that the latter is particularly relevant these days).

OneUh8

Well Hollow Knight has sold really well so I dont see why they would include it in a bundle now. Subnautica is in early access for another month or so and then it is launching for realsies and they are increasing the price so I doubt they would bundle it. I could be wrong though.

Oh I did not know they would be raising the price. I have been on the verge of buying it so many times but was kinda waiting until it came out of EA.

Just to so there's no confusion here, subs tied to publicly-distributed retail keys are changed to "Unavailable" if the game in question was pulled due to a DMCA takedown request, which renders any and all unused keys useless. Those who'd already activated a key don't lose access to the game and spare gift copies are unaffected (not that the latter is particularly relevant these days).

Does this mean I cant buy Fable 3 anymore on Amazon?

They have been in some cases, those with rights issues and some others. Like all things Valve they are inconsistent so it always pays to be careful.

Can you share some examples? To my knowledge they've never invalidated an unused key unless a dev/publisher specifically requested it. I'm pretty certain devs of removed games have sold keys well after the game was removed from Steam. For example, that game Motor Rock is still being sold outside Steam something like 3 years after it was removed.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh I did not know they would be raising the price. I have been on the verge of buying it so many times but was kinda waiting until it came out of EA.

1.0 is currently scheduled for late September at the earliest. There'll probably be a last chance sale before then.

Does this mean I cant buy Fable 3 anymore on Amazon?

Nah. Fable 3 was pulled voluntarily by MS when it ran out of GFWL keys and decided to stop supporting the game.

Arthea

This obsession with Hollow Knight reminds me of Rogue Legacy, which everybody praised to high heavens, and two years later couldn't even remember why.
Maybe it's not the same case, but it makes me wary

Parsnip

Little over halfway done with Snake Pass.
Best played in short one level sessions I feel, the checkpointing would otherwise get on my nerves too much.

I should also get back to Mad Max. I wish it had been a bit more restrained with the side quest reveals. Opening practically every single thing at once was a bit overwhelming and makes it really difficult to decide what to do next.

Also been plucking away at Pictopix.

Just to so there's no confusion here

It's probably too late for that.

This obsession with Hollow Knight reminds me of Rogue Legacy, which everybody praised to high heavens, and two years later couldn't even remember why.
Maybe it's not the same case, but it makes me wary

I understand the weariness of indie game praise however these arent even in the same league. Hollow Knight is a much more polished and generally better game at every level. Also I still love Rogue Legacy!

Nabs

I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little salty at the sudden Hollow fawning, when months ago me and nabs were saying that shit was the best in the genre since Symphony of the Night and everyone was basically "Sure Jan"ing us and going "but but Ori lol"

Z0Kgl_s-200x150.gif

I'm just glad people are playing it and not sitting on it. If you want real salt, you should talk to me about Elliot Quest.

I'm a little sad that some people are running into input problems. The game should control like a dream for everyone.

Aaron D.

They're not. This whole removing games from the list thing is getting misinterpreted as Valve removing purchased games from users and just serves as fodder for those who are still opposed to digital distribution for any reason.

Ehh, I wouldn't worry about that too much as the genie is out of the bottle regarding digital goods.

There's a reason why physical media sales (music cds, movie dvds, and physical books) are considered dying (if not completely dead) industries.

And with the masses being trained on strictly digital mobile games, I suspect overall physical sales in gaming isn't too far behind.

dex3108

Why is nobody making a big deal that Valve removed option to display screenshots taken from non Steam games on activity feed?

I'm just glad people are playing it and not sitting on it. If you want real salt, you should talk to me about Elliot Quest.

I'm a little sad that some people are running into input problems. The game should control like a dream for everyone.

I started playing that this week because you recommended it. It is ....interesting. I will keep playing for sure. At first I had no idea what was happening because you just spawn in this random over world but I am learning as I go.

Dusk Golem

I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little salty at the sudden Hollow fawning, when months ago me and nabs were saying that shit was the best in the genre since Symphony of the Night and everyone was basically "Sure Jan"ing us and going "but but Ori lol"

Z0Kgl_s-200x150.gif

This is going to be me in a few weeks when White Day's remake releases on PC and PS4. I've loved this game that's almost had no attention for years, but I'm betting it's about to grow pretty big in the horror scene when it releases then. I've said for years it's the best hide'n'sneak horror game, it solves so many issues the genre has today from pacing to variety to even the mechanic of hiding itself and manages to be a lot scarier than most games, and the original game predates the whole genre as it released in 2001. However I bet this game will strike it out with streamers and such and will grow pretty big, and I'm very happy to see that but I admit I'll be a bit sad to sort of see it grow out of my hands even though I've been the one pushing for it to grow for years and more people began to become fans and it reached cult title status over time.

Arthea

Why is nobody making a big deal that Valve removed option to display screenshots taken from non Steam games on activity feed?

they banned 70 something games people bought, reducing game count of pretty much everybody, screenshots pale in comparison

kulapik

Aspyr just announced their next game, Next Up Hero. The game will have an exclusive beta for Rooster Teeth FIRST (their subscription service) members, and include skins of four of their members.

PDgIE7e.jpg

Next Up Hero is a 2D action adventure driven by Community Continue, in which players take turns fighting -- and dying -- in community game sessions, working together to conquer impossibly hard monsters and bosses, one hero at a time.

Next Up Hero is being developed with community feedback, beginning with this exclusive closed beta, and moving to Steam Early Access in the fall. Digital Continue will incorporate community ideas to improve characters, gameplay, weapons, attacks, and enemy types for the final console game, coming in 2018.

Next Up Hero is the first original game from developer Digital Continue, founded by industry veteran Joe Tringali, the co-founder of 5TH Cell, creators of Scribblenauts, Lock's Quest and Drawn to Life.

Think you've got what it takes? Good. You're up next.

http://www.nextuphero.com

Source: i'm a FIRST member and got the mail along with a key for the beta.

As I understand, it's a bit like Rescue Mii, with players waiting in cue for their turn to play? ...doesn't sound very appetizing, will try the beta to see.

Arkkoran

Unconfirmed Member
how does The Age of Decadence plays? It is a good game form gameplay perspective?
I'm asking because their new game - The New World interests me a lot.

I enjoyed it. You can play through it hacking everyone to death, or avoid every combat encounter.

The combat is pretty brutally difficult, so you might run into a wall if you try that method first. The game does have good reactivity, so multiple playthroughs are a plus.

I'm currently on my phone, so I can't write a more detailed response, but check out these two reviews:
One
Two

Monooboe

To be honest, I didn't think it was even possible to do so before.XD But yeah shame that they would reduce functionality.

Arthea

I enjoyed it. You can play through it hacking everyone to death, or avoid every combat encounter.

The combat is pretty brutally difficult, so you might run into a wall if you try that method first. The game does have good reactivity, so multiple playthroughs are a plus.

I'm currently on my phone, so I can't write a more detailed response, but check out these two reviews:
One
Two

Thanks, second review was really helpful

Also been plucking away at Pictopix.

I finished up Pictopix last night. Didn't think it was quite as good as Paint it Back, but it was certainly enough to fill my picross habit. The secret levels did offer quite the challenge though.

Hoping more picross games are on way, as with finishing Paint it Back, Pictopix and Picross Touch it seems like I've gone through all the top ones on Steam. I guess I could try my luck at finding good puzzles on the workshop as well.

Ehh, I wouldn't worry about that too much as the genie is out of the bottle regarding digital goods.

There's a reason why physical media sales (music cds, movie dvds, and physical books) are considered dying (if not completely dead) industries.

And with the masses being trained on strictly digital mobile games, I suspect overall physical sales in gaming isn't too far behind.

I agree with your point but I also see many sarcastic "all digital future" posts on GAF itself whenever something goes wrong with some digital distribution service. These services rely entirely the trust of consumers and the market in general to survive, so anything that can be seen as harming that trust should be handled with some priority.

I guess part of this is Valve's usual lack of communication that is causing confusion as well. Why is this happening? Why now? Nobody knows.

I noticed this when I uploaded screenshots from Unravel a few weeks ago. Thought it was a bug at the time but maybe they're taking the same stance here as they do with retail key activated games not showing up on your activity feed. I don't think it's that big a deal honestly.

Platy

Aspyr just announced their next game, Next Up Hero. The game will have an exclusive beta for Rooster Teeth FIRST (their subscription service) members, and include skins of four of their members.

PDgIE7e.jpg

Awesome art, but everything else feels ... weird.

DataGhost

PDgIE7e.jpg

http://www.nextuphero.com

Source: i'm a FIRST member and got the mail along with a key for the beta.

As I understand, it's a bit like Rescue Mii, with players waiting in cue for their turn to play? ...doesn't sound very appetizing, will try the beta to see.

Looks interesting, but I can see how players waiting for their turn can be pretty bad, especially if you have skilled players, you will have a long wait time

dave is ok

aztek is ok

I heard turning off V-Sync fixes the input problems

Cth

I envy all you guys who can play first-person (and related) games without getting a nauseating feeling.

I have so many games I want to try, but keep getting 'motion-sickness'. I don't know what happened, just suddenly started happening. I mean, I'm getting it from effin Morrowind as well.

Maybe I need to increase my fov, or fps.

I have about a 50/50 chance of motion sickness. I'm hoping getting a newer tv wont make the effect worse.

It's why in hesitant to jump on the VR bandwagon.

I understand the weariness of indie game praise however these arent even in the same league. Hollow Knight is a much more polished and generally better game at every level. Also I still love Rogue Legacy!

Have you tried Dead Cells yet? I feel it does Rogue Legacy better than Rogue Legacy.

Have you tried Dead Cells yet? I feel it does Rogue Legacy better than Rogue Legacy.

Yea I bought it during the sale and I like it a lot. I will say I am not a big fan of the upgrades in Dead Cells, as they are all kind of boring (+5% dmg with bomb, and then +10% dmg with bomb, and so on for all the weapons) Rogue Legacy did that better. But the gameplay, visuals and everything else are better in Dead Cells.

Wok

After a suggestion by Tomasety, I'm skimming through new obscure games, which I must have seen one day in my Discovery Queue, but somehow I had skipped them without paying attention.

This game looks like a Myst-like game for Stump, never bundled:

This one is a compass simulator, priced at 40€ and never discounted:

There is also a game for JawMuncher:

Yea I bought it during the sale and I like it a lot. I will say I am not a big fan of the upgrades in Dead Cells, as they are all kind of boring (+5% dmg with bomb, and then +10% dmg with bomb, and so on for all the weapons) Rogue Legacy did that better. But the gameplay, visuals and everything else are better in Dead Cells.

Yeah, the x% more damage upgrades are boring, but some upgrades are pretty interesting, like "shoot arrow behind you when you attack" or "toss a grenade when rolling."

This pretty much just sold me on Dead Cells

Is it still in early access?

It is, but gets regular updates, latest update was July 1. Devs seem responsive to player feedback. There are only two bosses so far, but that's about the only complaint I have.

Latest patch notes here for anyone interested: https://dead-cells.com/patchnotes/2

oni-link

Yes, still in Early Access.

I've never bought a game in early access before

I take it you just continue with downloading updates until at some point it becomes the complete release?

It is, but gets updates, latest update was July 1. There are only two bosses so far, but that's about the only complaint I have.

Latest patch notes here for anyone interested: https://dead-cells.com/patchnotes/2

Ah I see, maybe I'll wait it out then until it's got a few more bosses

I've never bought a game in early access before

I take it you just continue with downloading updates until at some point it becomes the complete release?

Ah I see, maybe I'll wait it out then until it's got a few more bosses

Yeah, I'm usually wary of early access games, but I heard so many good things, and bought it on sale. I don't regret it. Rimworld is another early access game that is fairly complete, looking to buy that someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom