• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2017 - Magical Pyres can't melt Cold Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phawx

I'm just glad people are playing it and not sitting on it. If you want real salt, you should talk to me about Elliot Quest.

I'm a little sad that some people are running into input problems. The game should control like a dream for everyone.

I have been sitting on Hollow Knight :(

Got a vacation coming up, think I'll play it.

Vlad

Yeah, I'm usually wary of early access games, but I heard so many good things, and bought it on sale. I don't regret it. Rimworld is another early access game that is fairly complete, looking to buy that someday.

While I'm usually wary of Early Access games just for the uncertainty of future support, there's also the risk of early-game content getting added that you're essentially missing if you don't start over.

For example, I bought Subnautica a while ago, thinking it was kind of an underwater Minecraft-esque game, but it's a bit more linear than I was expecting, with a definite progression of events and things to do. While I was more than fine with this in and of itself, the fact that they're still adding content to the game (although apparently they're now done?) means that I could keep chugging along and then something gets added or changed that would be better experienced on a first playthrough as opposed to returning to once I'm later in the game. That, plus the general bugginess of the game at that point, lead me to shelving it until it hits "final" status.

If anything, the EA model probably works better for roguelikes, since you're always starting from scratch.

While I'm usually wary of Early Access games just for the uncertainty of future support, there's also the risk of early-game content getting added that you're essentially missing if you don't start over.

For example, I bought Subnautica a while ago, thinking it was kind of an underwater Minecraft-esque game, but it's a bit more linear than I was expecting, with a definite progression of events and things to do. While I was more than fine with this in and of itself, the fact that they're still adding content to the game (although apparently they're now done?) means that I could keep chugging along and then something gets added or changed that would be better experienced on a first playthrough as opposed to returning to once I'm later in the game. That, plus the general bugginess of the game at that point, lead me to shelving it until it hits "final" status.

If anything, the EA model probably works better for roguelikes, since you're always starting from scratch.

Yeah, I agree. The rogue-like model is a good fit for early access. Easy to pick up and play, and I can put it down and come back to it after an update or two.

Aaron D.

Yeah, I agree. The rogue-like model is a good fit for early access. Easy to pick up and play, and I can put it down and come back to it after an update or two.

Agreed.

With no start/end or story elements, rouge & sim titles are a perfect fit for EA.

I was pretty early on Kerbal Space Program and it was a treat to revisit every few months or so after a major update. Never burned out on it and got a real appreciation for the layers upon layers of complexity that were added to the game.

Same goes for RimWorld. That game feels feature complete even though it's been on sale for years. Much like Dwarf Fortress, I don't know if that game will ever be finished! (And that's just fine.)

Is there something I'm missing here? I find some anime to be good and some games with the tag to be good. There seems to be a strong sentiment against it here and I'm wondering why that is.

Don't tell anyone, but I overplay my dislike for anime for comedic purposes. Plus, it's an easy target.

Arthea

Is there something I'm missing here? I find some anime to be good and some games with the tag to be good. There seems to be a strong sentiment against it here and I'm wondering why that is.

don't pay attention, both sides in this conflict are just being silly.
It is getting old, I admit

Ladekabel

Don't tell anyone, but I overplay my dislike for anime for comedic purposes. Plus, it's an easy target.

mild_shock_patrick_stewart_acting.gif

You were supposed to be the Chosen One, Loathsome!

I'm trying Shadows of Mordor (it's free for the weekend) and I'm surprised: it runs fine (steady 30fps) on my modest i5 1.7 GHz Asus notebook (Geforce 840M). Low graphical settings, of course, but it still looks pretty good for me.

Great game, by the way, it's very much like Arkham City, one of my favorite games ever: open world, great combat, lots of missions, many collectibles... it also has that single-player MMO vibe, like Xenoblade Chronicles X. Aside from the Assassin's Creed games, which I find a bit dull, what other games like this should I try on Steam?

OmarYusaf

This obsession with Hollow Knight reminds me of Rogue Legacy, which everybody praised to high heavens, and two years later couldn't even remember why.
Maybe it's not the same case, but it makes me wary

I agree with you.

I played Rogue Legacy based on GAF hype. Absolutely hated it, and I'm a sucker for rogue-lites in general.

I'm trying Shadows of Mordor (it's free for the weekend) and I'm surprised: it runs fine (steady 30fps) on my modest i5 1.7 GHz Asus notebook (Geforce 840M). Low graphical settings, of course, but it still looks pretty good for me.

Great game, by the way, it's very much like Arkham City, one of my favorite games ever: open world, great combat, lots of missions, many collectibles... it also has that single-player MMO vibe, like Xenoblade Chronicles X. Aside from the Assassin's Creed games, which I find a bit dull, what other games like this should I try on Steam?
Have you tried Dragon's Dogma?

Arthea

I liked Rogue Legacy, but I recognized pretty early on that it didn't quite meet the hype.

I think we all learn our lessons with steamgaf hype, my lesson wasn't even Rogue Legacy, even it I didn't like it, but Gone Home, now that I will never forget or forgive, never!

Shadow of Mordor, the Arkham games and Mad Max all share some very similar design philosophies. Arguably to a fault, even.

Witcher 3, Skyrim/Fallout 4, and Dying Light all have some similar commonalities too I'd say.

I don't even

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?

Shadow of Mordor, the Arkham games and Mad Max all share some very similar design philosophies. Arguably to a fault, even.

Witcher 3, Skyrim/Fallout 4, and Dying Light all have some similar commonalities too I'd say.

low-G

Can't wait to see how many Steam games I bought on summer sale that I have to refund cuz I also have Humble Bundle...

Tizoc

Amber Heard as Mera is pretty hot with that red hair
DEF-gLgUQAAiIB6.jpg

I really hope this movie ends up good >_<

I already said that if Aquaman is great in the JL movie this Novemember I'd watch it.

The post-apocalyptic setting bores me to tears, so I'm not interested in Fallout and Mad Max.

Dying Light looks cool, but zombies also bore me to tears ^_^

Love Skyrim, played it on my Xbox 360.

I'll probably like Witcher 3, but my notebook can't handle it. I'll get it when I buy a new PC.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Can you elaborate on this, please? On the vibe in general, not just on how Shadow of Mordor gives it.

I like games that throw endless quests at me. If the world is interesting, I even like fetch quests, because they lead me to new places. It's even better when they're not story heavy and I can have fun killing orcs and exploring for hours without advancing the plot. That's very MMO for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom