• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2017 - Magical Pyres can't melt Cold Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
i'm not sure if the god eater voice acting is bad or what but it's really distracting for some reason

also apparently you can't search a thing about that game without stumbling upon the censorship declaring filth of the internet lol

it's kinda fun, but kinda not, i'm not too sure about it

I'm sad that there's not more talk about this amazing game in this thread. I realize it has its own dedicated OT, but I'd hate for anyone to overlook this gem. Even in Early Access, it's incredible!

According to Steam Spy, the game sold for more than 13,000 copies. Pretty damn impressive for an Early Access title of a Wrestling game with no brand awareness whatsoever. Plus, it's definitely going to get more sales once more content is added and when it gets a discount.

I think it'll do fine.

I'm sad that there's not more talk about this amazing game in this thread. I realize it has its own dedicated OT, but I'd hate for anyone to overlook this gem. Even in Early Access, it's incredible!
I think its because its a niche game even for a pro wrestling fan. (Well, I'm not really a pro wrestling fan because I only watch WWE.) I have the older PS2 classic on PS3 game because of a recommendation on a thread here on GAF some time ago. Its great that the FPW Returns has been played and loved by the community for years and had put a lot of created wrestler content all over the various online communities.

I played for about an hour of FPW Returns and I did not enjoy it because it has no tutorials or anything so I did not learn how to properly play the game. Does this game have a tutorial?

According to Steam Spy, the game sold for more than 13,000 copies. Pretty damn impressive for an Early Access title of a Wrestling game with no brand awareness whatsoever. Plus, it's definitely going to get more sales once more content is added and when it gets a discount.

I think it'll do fine.
I'm sure it will get a discount eventually, but from what I understand, it's initially going to be more expensive than it currently is (it's $20 now) after it leaves Early Access.

As for no brand awareness, I assume you mean WWE, but the Fire Pro series is pretty revered among diehard wrestling fans.

In any case, I'm glad it's picking up steam (no pun intended) and I hope even more people discover the game.

I played for about an hour of FPW Returns and I did not enjoy it because it has no tutorials or anything so I did not learn how to properly play the game. Does this game have a tutorial?
A lengthy one, actually. Mission Mode starts off with several tutorial lessons, but the entire mode is really designed to teach you the game.

I think it'll do fine.

I think it'll sell more. Especially if it gets word of mouth. Sales has been up from yesterday, which is a good sign.

Wok

Do you ever feel bad adding free games that you probably will never play?

With the time wasted activating free games which I will never play, I question my ability to manage my time and priorities. I don't feel bad though. 😑

With the money spent towards more games, which I want to play but probably won't before they are discounted next, I question my ability to to manage both my time and money. 🙁

zkylon

zkylewd
3538LmM.png

(non spoilers, this is like, from the cutscene right after you meet her)

god eater is... kinda bad?

but i kinda like it?

it's weird, the game feels really clunky to me with really insane controls where you have free shoulder buttons but they mapped the same key to run and switch weapons, or to pick up items and dash, and there's like 17 billion systems thrown all at you at once without a care in the world lol

there's a story in it but the characters are mostly boring and the world is really uninteresting so far, and i feel like this game is probably cool looking for someone but for me it's like really lame, all these character designs are really bad and it all looks so dumb. like that kid with the unzipped shorts? wtf is that? and cutscenes look like they barely work, with jump cuts all over the place and conversations that barely make sense and shit lol. i have a shred of hope that the story will go in unexpected and ridiculous directions, that's my wish, for this to turn into a silly poorly put together evangelion thing. or something.

but, it's got that same process i really liked in mercenary kings of replaying the same missions with tiny little twists on em while you fool around with different weapons and such, and that's pretty fun. i like that you seem like you'll unlock new abilities as the game progresses, and even if they're slow at adding new enemy types, it's fun to figure them out, even if i resort mostly to mashing and spam dodging since the camera is so incredibly bad lol. i'm kind of worried of this game just being exactly this for a billion hours, but hopefully there'll be a bit of progression that's not just numbers.

it feels kind of like a timewaster, and a pretty low quality one compared to mercenary kings, but i kinda dig it.

Mivey

It's even cheesier in the original
There is a mod out there, to bring back the horrible localization from the PS1 game. (Here it is)
Well, it certainly a good reason for another playthrough, with that riveting dialog.
Barry: Jill, you're here too!
Jill: Yes (?), you're here too?

god eater is... kinda bad?

but i kinda like it?
Any game that gives me an achievement after watching two minutes of a cutscene at the beginning, can't be that bad. I like how lazy the game is with it's own story telling. Like, they don't even really pretend there is any reason for anything, except having an excuse for giant monsters and hunting them with giant faux-gunblades.

The problem with God Eater (and most of the other MH clones is), that it doesnt offer the depth of a MH.

Its mostly hack and slashing till the enemy is dead and if they change the color of the enemy, it just has ice instead of fire attacks now and more health, no new attack patterns.

zkylon

zkylewd
Any game that gives me an achievement after watching two minutes of a cutscene at the beginning, can't be that bad. I like how lazy the game is with it's own story telling. Like, they don't even really pretend there is any reason for anything, except having an excuse for giant monsters and hunting them with giant faux-gunblades.
it's weird cos there's a huge codex full of details and there's all these terms and concepts and shit

i don't think they don't care, but it's just rough

data

Why doesn't my DS4 controller work with DR2? The controller option is greyed out.

All my other games work just fine, too.

EDIT: It just doesn't work with Steam's 360 controller emulator. But DS4Windows works for some reason.

fantomena

I hate it when using a controller and when I scroll through the menu the controller skips over every other element.

Let's say the menu says:

New Game
Continue game
Extras
Options
Exit

So if I use a controller and scroll down, the controller or the game will skip "continue game" and "options" for some reason.

Happened yesterday with Little Nightmares. I wonder if wherever connecting a controller after I've started up the game or before starting up the game has anything to say.

Ganado

I hate it when using a controller and when I scroll through the menu the controller skips over every other element.

Let's say the menu says:

New Game
Continue game
Extras
Options
Exit

So if I use a controller and scroll down, the controller or the game will skip "continue game" and "options" for some reason.

Happened yesterday with Little Nightmares. I wonder if wherever connecting a controller after I've started up the game or before starting up the game has anything to say.
Do you use a PS4 controller with 3rd party drivers?

Ascheroth

Let's say the menu says:

New Game
Continue game
Extras
Options
Exit

That happens when your controller registers as 2. Usually once by 3rd party drivers and once by Steam itself if you have the SteamController stuff for other controllers activated.

Teppic

I use a PS4 controller, but no 3rd party drivers, as far as I know.

Edit: Found out this only happens to my 2 PS4 controllers, not my Xbone controller.
It happened to me before when I connected the DS4 through both wifi and USB at once.

Sounds like it wants to use two of something at once. If you use DS4Windows try enabling hide DS4 controller and see if it helps.

Ganado

I use a PS4 controller, but no 3rd party drivers, as far as I know.

Edit: Found out this only happens to my 2 PS4 controllers, not my Xbone controller.

Then it might be a problem with Steams own controller support for PS4 controllers and that the games themselves have support for it. Try a coop game like Rocket League or Helldivers and see if you get a local buddy when you play solo.

I can't log into steam on my main PC.
I can log in through the browser but not into the steam client itself.
I can log in on my laptop and my phone.
Already tried changing password. It says that username or password are wrong, but only on that PC. WTF?

Wok

I can't log into steam on my main PC.
I can log in through the browser but not into the steam client itself.
I can log in on my laptop and my phone.
Already tried changing password. It says that username or password are wrong, but only on that PC. WTF?

Check that Steam is allowed through the firewall:
IZonrnE.png

By the way, I suggest this enhancement of Windows firewall:
https://www.binisoft.org/wfc.php

Ludens

Banned
Unrelated from the Steam thread, but a friend lent me Mass Effect Andromeda for PS4, what's the best way to play it?
I planned to do just the main plot so I can give the gae back quickly, but are sides worth the effort and time? How long is the main plot only?

Ascheroth

Well I finished Hyper Light Drifter. The main stuff anyway, not interested enough to comb every nook and cranny.

The last boss was great. It is fucking beautiful, both in artstyle, design and animations.

But ultimately I just found it 'okay'. Biggest problem for me being how it's difficult and - more often than not - frustratingly difficult, instead of fun difficult.

I also have no clue what the story was about in the end, it's very obtuse and tries to tell its story without a single line of text.
It's not really a negative, just saying I didn't get anything, lol.

Anyone has played Aven Colony? I remember seeing some info here when they launched the website and looked promising.

I'm curious to know this too. It looks like a very colorful, futuristic, Anno styled game which sounds interesting but I don't think I've seen people talk about it much.

Ladekabel

The thing I like about Cook, Serve, Delicious is when you start a new day and the first people coming in in the morning all order a beer. And then during rush hour, everyone comes back and orders more beer. Getting a little bit shitfaced at the office.

Im playing through the game now as well. Let me know if you want jolly co op. Im around soul level 55 I think.

Thanks for the offer. But unfortunately, I'm playing the game in offline mode like I usually do in other Souls games.

I'm still quite early in the game as well, just beaten the tree thingy boss earlier.

bloke

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Deserted: The Story of Peter -- MB-527C368EB6ADC7B8 - Taken by Kifimbo
Mystery Mine -- MB-4C8B7121D4B7700A - Taken by longlivegaming
Robo Do It -- MB-E120EB101223AB3D - Taken by FeedMeAStrayCat
Trail of Destruction -- MB-99A9982C29CFCB74 - Taken by madjoki

ArjanN

Well I finished Hyper Light Drifter. The main stuff anyway, not interested enough to comb every nook and cranny.

The last boss was great. It is fucking beautiful, both in artstyle, design and animations.

But ultimately I just found it 'okay'. Biggest problem for me being how it's difficult and - more often than not - frustratingly difficult, instead of fun difficult.

I also have no clue what the story was about in the end, it's very obtuse and tries to tell its story without a single line of text.
It's not really a negative, just saying I didn't get anything, lol.

I kind of agree in that it feels like you should have had most of the upgrades (invincibility frames during dodging, bullet relect etc) from the start.

Zeneric

Is Xanadu Next good? Worth 25 bucks CAD?
I refunded Ghost 1.0 and Icey. Couldn't feel em. So I'm getting 28 bucks CAD back into my steam wallet.

Is Xanadu Next good? Worth 25 bucks CAD?
I refunded Ghost 1.0 and Icey. Couldn't feel em. So I'm getting 28 bucks CAD back into my steam wallet.

I bought Xanadu from the steam sale and I'm actually playing through it right now. It's not too bad, and although its quite dated interface-wise and graphically, its a lot of fun. It's sorta like a mix between JRPG with diablo-esque gameplay, but its easier to avoid damage by running around your enemies in circles, avoiding their attacks while trying to get behind them to attack them yourself.

Only real issue i'm having with it is that i'm finding myself getting lost quite a bit, and last night I had to give up and use a walkthrough to get passed a particular section, since I couldn't figure out the puzzle to the area.

Personally, i'd wait for it to be put on sale again.

yoshizzle

Free Steam key for Slash It @ Indiegala

Store page, has cards

---

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Slash It -- MB-170513FF6D4EB6A1 - Taken by Popstar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom