• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2017 - IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just noticed you can opt to get $5 credit in your wallet instead of the Witness if you bought the Freedom bundle, I guess thats... something?

Still should have saved The Witnessas a showcase for a few months down the line instead I think.

Wok

just noticed you can opt to get $5 credit in your wallet instead of the Witness if you bought the Freedom bundle, I guess thats... something?

Still should have saved The Witnessas a showcase for a few months down the line instead I think.

I have not bought the HFB and I have opted for the 4.99€ credit.

What do you say now?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I have not bought the HFB and I have opted for the 4.99€ credit.

What do you say now?

I say that Humble is lying then? :/

well not lying but its worded poorly I guess.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Blues and Bullets Episode 1 -- MB-A059776C1BFA5C57 - Taken by Purkake4

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

A Wild Catgirl Appears -- MB-26ADB418D4BF2945 - Taken by fernandes
Abrix for Kids -- MB-29D643310BE5B8DE - Taken by lindarasta
Build 'n Bump -- MB-8C6DC0A77C08FC57 - Taken by illusionary
Iesabel -- MB-93949C7814702E43 - Taken by Awful Falafel
Linea, the Game -- MB-8450A6C66C6AB161 - Taken by Wok
Lord Mayor -- MB-9B4440062E90ACA6 - Taken by Mavromatis
Plazma Being -- MB-C59C9AB312AE31C5 - Taken by KainXVIII
Scoregasm -- MB-829A848C06125AD2 - Taken by InquisitorAles
Sparkle 3 Genesis -- MB-303E7E7110BE73D2 - Taken by Hakkelus
Teddy Floppy Ear: Mountain Adventure -- MB-C3D56B6EA63B8A15 - Taken by fuzzy123
The Falling Sun -- MB-8AE9DD6BB71CA1BD - Taken by Dusk Golem

Nier Automata is a global top seller right now
images

Finished 2064: Read Only Memories. That was real good. I reckon it's something more hardened adventure game enthusiasts would find too simplistic, but I don't tend to play a lot of them so it kept things at a smooth pace. A real refreshing cast of characters, too.

Get called a dingus.

The overly timid bunnygirl receptionist was a real cutie. That place had a real chill tune as well.

Polar bear butler!

But remember, SteamGAF:

KainXVIII

That price is normal, PSN prices on the other hand... I can buy 2 copies of Automata or 4 copies of Firis on Steam for less than the price of one Yakuza 0 on PSN.
yakuza0psn.png
Yeah, PS4 game prices are crazy high (that's why i will not buy it, same with Switch, where prices even more higher)

Rhaknar

will someone make a Marvel OT for the PC version?

Tizoc

There was a thread for PS4 in December I think. Not sure if the PC/XBO version gets OT or just posts there.

Best to just discuss the game there. I mainly am getting it for offline play in case I take my laptop to work for a night shift etc. :p

Rhaknar

Best to just discuss the game there. I mainly am getting it for offline play in case I take my laptop to work for a night shift etc. :p

you just triggered Wok

Gremlins Inc. is a great strategy game which had an online DRM. Exactly a year after its release from Early Access, the Lituanian devs are about to release a standalone game without DRM.

Apparently, the reasoning behind the online-only requirement was that they put the game logic on the server-side so that they could use the Infinite Powah of The Cloud, which would make sense if there's a mobile version. Problem: there's no mobile version, so this decision makes no sense outside of it serving as DRM. [Edit] I suppose you could also argue that keeping the game logic off the client computers reduces the possibility of hacking.

This new "game" is actually a strictly "vs CPU" version of the game. Obviously, since it's explicitly an offline version of the game, the game logic has to now reside on your computer, which would require a fair amount of re-writing, hence why it's a separate entry. Worth noting is that it won't be available to buy separately, but rather it's included in all copies of Gremlins Inc.

Wok

Apparently, the reasoning behind the online-only requirement was that they put the game logic on the server-side so that they could use the Infinite Powah of The Cloud, which would make sense if there's a mobile version. Problem: there's no mobile version, so this decision makes no sense outside of it serving as DRM. [Edit] I suppose you could also argue that keeping the game logic off the client computers reduces the possibility of hacking.

I think the secret reasons are:
  • fighting piracy,
  • building a community by enforcing online play as much as possible,
  • computing lots of stats,
  • having all the data to debug and to counter cheaters (people playing as a team in ranked games).

I have got to say I was really skeptical at first. It turns out the devs have been able to build an interesting game with a nice community and frequent tournaments.

I think the secret reasons are:
  • fighting piracy,
  • building a community by enforcing online play as much as possible,
  • computing lots of stats,
  • having all the data to debug and to counter cheaters (people playing as a team in ranked games).

I have got to say I was really skeptical at first. It turns out the devs have been able to build an interesting game with a nice community and frequent tournaments.

Apparently, the game has been available in some form since October 2015. So, for the game to still be in active development and to have a small but dedicated community around it is something I can definitely respect.

No, but their games tend to get locked here, no matter the publisher.

Platinum Games developed 5 games on Steam. Two of them are region-locked. One (Revengeance) is distributed by Konami - who still lock Castlevania out - and the other (Nier) is from Square Enix - who also has region restrictions on their various Final Fantasy games till this day.

gngf123

This is going to sound so stupid.

So I did the PlayAsia preorder of Nier Automata a few days ago and I'm now having doubts. What are the chances that I get the Day One Edition?

Also with the region locking, EU copies work fine on UK Steam accounts right?

No, but their games tend to get locked here, no matter the publisher.

Nah, it's mainly Japanese publishers not wanting to sell their PC games in Japan and/or Asia for reasons that are completely beyond me. We have seen Idea Factory realise quite how dumb that policy is in recent months, but expecting the aircraft carriers known as Square Enix and Bandai Namco to turn around any time soon is setting yourself up for disappointment.

This is going to sound so stupid.

So I did the PlayAsia preorder of Nier Automata a few days ago and I'm now having doubts. What are the chances that I get the Day One Edition?

Also with the region locking, EU copies work fine on UK Steam accounts right?

As I understand it, the Day One Edition is the first physical print run, so it should be the case whereby all physical copies of the game are Day Ones. I'd expect non-Day One versions to be far rarer.

As for region locking, EU copies should work with all Steam accounts, its places such as Russia where copies are substantially cheaper that you have to watch out for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom