• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was curious to try Rocket League and was hoping for it to be bundled, so I'll get this one. Although I'll better wait for the next Humble Bundle before doing that since they seem to always come with a coupon for the Monthly Bundle lately.

zkylon

zkylewd
But i always imagine you as cute.
-___-

I came very close to uninstalling Overwatch tonight. A mix of me hating the sentry support lady and having a streak of brain dead games almost killed the whole thing for me.

And no Zkylon this wasnt a "the game is new stop complaining" thing. I dont care if people are shit. Im shit. But I care that people dont even try or just dont understand basic videogame fundamentals. Between people going afk and me standing alone at the start of a payload match with another dude literally looking at each other thinking "yo why is it just the 2 of us here?" While the opposing team calmly takes the cart to the objective, it was heroes of the storm all over again. And that game, I ran into those things from the beta all the way to months after release so no, its not just "the game is new".

But after a break I played a few more games with Lucio and I had a ton of fun. Hes an awesome character and the games were great, e straight wins with him and people were actually, you know, playing the game. Then I tried the engineer guy because it was a defense map and I loved him and it was also a great game even if I lost (so yeah I dont just like the game when I win). So im literally having a love-hate relationship with the game right now, which means ill still probably not buy it.

Its basically where I was with HotS when I quit, except I got there in 2 days instead of 6 months lol. My friend did point out that, unlike HotS which is f2p and anyone can play without a care in the world, this one requiring a purchase might mean when its out for realsies the afkers and general brain dead players will at the very least not be so abundant, one hopes. I just dont have the capacity to just not care about thise shit games where half the team isnt playing and shrug it off quickly and hope for a decent hame next time, Heroes killed that in me.

Edit: So right now its Mercy, Lucio, Bastion and Engineer guy for me. I still havent played most of the cast tho.

multiplayer games are always a nightmare if you're playing on your own

get some friends to play with

Phawx

"2x perf and 3x efficiency vs Titan X when using Pascal's special features"

So he says this line first. and then repeats the line "2x the perf of a titan x"

Scummy

Ozium

Overwatch is fun but it's no TF2.. the only similarities are in the modes IMO. the Hero system is different from classes w/ subdivisions like in TF2.

Some of the heroes seem OP tho.

I also don't think it is as skill-based as TF2, it seems there is auto aim or something? not sure, but there's no ammo and you seem more limited in your movement than what you can pull of in TF2..

The skill in playing Overwatch seems more about reading the situation and using the right heroes/right strategy, less of a focus on pure skill IMO

it's fun

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So the 1070 card is actually 7.5gb of vram right? :3

Phawx

x70 Nvidia cards seem to remain very good value.

Yea, it looks like it's going to be pretty nice. Truthfully the x70 cards were probably the bad binned 1080s. Not that that is an issue as you are paying significantly less for 70% of the perf.

But the fact that there is a "founders edition" speaks volumes about yields.

To anyone interested on buying, better get in early as they'll most likely sell out.

mp1990

Banned
For those who aren't following the stream:

Ch0dsGvU4AEc-lu.jpg:large
The 1070 price is pretty tempting, but at this point I think I'll just go for the latter.

$379 for the 1070 makes it a possibility to buy...$600 is a no go area for me

still want to see actual performance numbers from benchmarks though

would be upgrading from a 290X

Yea, it looks like it's going to be pretty nice. Truthfully the x70 cards were probably the bad binned 1080s. Not that that is an issue as you are paying significantly less for 70% of the perf.

But the fact that there is a "founders edition" speaks volumes about yields.

To anyone interested on buying, better get in early as they'll most likely sell out.
Will read up on independent reviews on the 1070 once they hit, to see how much difference it makes in the real world. Still, not very keen on reselling. Maybe next card series or even after that depending how long 970 can carry me.

Some of the heroes seem OP tho.

It might still be too early to tell. It could be that some heroes have appropriate counter-strategies that people haven't figured out yet. The sword demoman in TF2 was thought to be OP for a while until people got the hang of playing against him.

The 970 is 4 tflops right? Is 6.5 tflops with 8(or 7.5gb) a huge improvement over that?

Well the main issue really with some of the newer games coming out is the dreaded 3.5GB of ram on it. Games like Tomb Raider simply won't run properly at the highest texture settings.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Holy fuck I was playing Dark Souls 3 and when I get back on GAF "You won Rocket League". I guess it's time to "git gud" on another game now.

zkylon

zkylewd
a really weird thing about overwatch is that i keep seeing messages from one "HelloPikachu" on the main menu

it's creepy

derExperte

The 1070 will probably be around 450€ here, think I'll wait for AMD's offer. Or sell my 970 right now before prices implode and use the GPU of my 2500K for a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom