• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | November 2016 - Rally to Restore Fear and/or Sanity in the Steam Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vuze

So I got a free Gears of War key with my 1070 laptop coming today. Do i have to play the first 2 to play this one? I played some of the first one for 360 back in the day but remember nothing of the game.

Also I imagine this is a windows store key sadly :(
Yeah, it's a WinStore XBA game, there's no other version of the game on PC. I think GoW4 starts a new story line but I might be wrong.

bbd23

So I got a free Gears of War key with my 1070 laptop coming today. Do i have to play the first 2 to play this one? I played some of the first one for 360 back in the day but remember nothing of the game.

Also I imagine this is a windows store key sadly :(

I didnt play any of the gears games and I had fun with it. pretty easy to follow after the opening sequence of that game.

If Kentucky Route Zero were eligible fire it's Act IV release that would have the top spot on my Steam GAF GOTY list, but since i doubt it will be my current top 3 is Dark Souls 3, DOOM, and Stardew Valley.

I do have to make sure I play Owlboy before the year is up though.

If Kentucky Route Zero were eligible fire it's Act IV release that would have the top spot on my Steam GAF GOTY list, but since i doubt it will be my current top 3 is Dark Souls 3, DOOM, and Stardew Valley.

I do have to make sure I play Owlboy before the year is up though.

I think it is. I'm pretty sure Act III was when it released because I distinctly remember it being in my top. Confession time: as much of a massive fan as I've been for that game, I haven't started Act IV.

Also, real impressions: is Genital Jousting any good?

I think it is. I'm pretty sure Act III was when it released because I distinctly remember it being in my top. Confession time: as much of a massive fan as I've been for that game, I haven't started Act IV.

Was looking over last year's rules to try to determine if it would be,

Episodic games were only eligible if the last episode was released in 2015.

I'd read last to mean final, though I guess it can also be interpreted as most recent.

Also, real impressions: is Genital Jousting any good?

I didn't have a chance to try it out yesterday but Jim Sterling thought it was good.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
Can we vote for expansions/DLC? Because The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine is my GOTY

Was looking over last year's rules to try to determine if it would be,

I'd read last to mean final, though I guess it can also be interpreted as most recent.

I didn't have a chance to try it out yesterday but Jim Sterling thought it was good.

Jshackles is the go-to on this, with a healthy dose of community input because he's cool like that. You can always send him a PM or leave several threatening messages on his home phone like I do during GOTY voting times.

Can we vote for expansions/DLC? Because The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine is my GOTY

We had some discussion not too long ago. I don't know if anything came of it. I had a period where I just didn't have an actual minute to keep up with the thread.

There were a few different paths people wanted to take. I was and still am partial to the idea of a separate top 5 for expansions / DLC. I think it would serve a dual purpose of spotlighting great work, but also give us something to point to later. Every time a sale pops up, there are a ton of questions that go along the lines of "Is X DLC worth it?" or "How good is Y expansion?" This alleviates some of that.

---

Other: gauging interest for anyone just dying to play Dragon's Dogma but hasn't been able to because of financial reasons, life all up in your ass reasons, utter despair over American politics, something?

zkylon

zkylewd
spiders shouldnt disqualify it automatically
i don't think there are spiders in blood and wine

the one with the spiders is heart of stone, which is actually a fantastic piece of dlc

blood and wine has a boring story and set of characters, plentiful of cookiecutter quests and loot and a pretty but ultimately uninteresting new area

Levyne

Banned
Hearts of Stone was amazing. The SuperbunnyHop video on it gives some insight on some of the themes and a good round up of the expansion in general.

zkylon

zkylewd
They're in B&W, too.
oh actually now i remember about like some filler quest about clearing out of a winery thing of spiders

i modded them out so i can't always tell

i know they're in heart of stone cos you fight against some phantom spiders at one point and the work didn't remove those which was pretty shitty

hearts of stone was better. the new area looks pretty good but the main characters besides Anna kinda sucked.
i think anna is pretty lame, she has a fun accent but her character is boring, there's little mystery or deeper layers to her, she's just a tough queen lady

i like the vampire guy much better, but he's not on screen all that much

Grief.exe

I can't even vote on my GOTY candidates this year since they are still in Early Access.

Otherwise we have Civ VI, Dark Souls III, Stardew, and I believe Dragon's Dogma and Dead Rising would both qualify as well.

Elite Dangerous and Kerbal received huge updates this year too, which sucked up a lot of my gaming time. Great year.

Anno

NG+ coming for Dishonored next month yay. By then I should be ready for it. Right now I spend way too much time just dicking around and trying to find random letters and books.

Phinor

NG+ coming for Dishonored next month yay. By then I should be ready for it. Right now I spend way too much time just dicking around and trying to find random letters and books.

Waiting for working NG for the PC version first before thinking about future playthroughs.

zkylon

zkylewd

i like this header thing, so i'll just do mine

i don't think any other game has taken over my mind the way the witness had, i was seeing those squiggly mazes everywhere for weeks after finishing it, and i've played few things as tense and satisfying as the
challenge
in my life

just a damn brilliant game

Buraindo

Dying hard drives are no fun.

Hearts of Stone was amazing. The SuperbunnyHop video on it gives some insight on some of the themes and a good round up of the expansion in general.

Yeah his Blood and Wine video is pretty good too. I personally liked both but HoS's story is one of the better ones I've seen in games. Plus B&W made me dislike Roach even more so there's that.
Far as GOTY talk goes, I haven't really played much that came out this year aside from Dark Souls III so that's my choice. Though to be honest I doubt anything would've changed that.

Monooboe

Incase someone missed it!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Dirt 3 Complete Edition -- MB-5578DDB0749EDFF5

t1479487233z1.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Jshackles is the go-to on this, with a healthy dose of community input because he's cool like that. You can always send him a PM or leave several threatening messages on his home phone like I do during GOTY voting times.

The original intention of the episodic game rule was that it would make a single episodic game ineligible in multiple years. We had stuff like The Wolf Among Us and Tales From the Borderlands (along with Kentucky Route Zero) that were releasing some episodes at the end of the year and some at the beginning of the next and there was some confusion about how that penciled out. The Wolf Among Us had a strong showing in the 2013 voting (it took 25th place overall) with only the first episode released that year. The game had a strong showing in the 2014 votes as well although that year we had the first iteration of the rule which was "you can't vote for something that had any votes last year".

The argument was that if everyone that voted for the game, between both years, had combined the vote together it would have placed much higher. We came together and decided that it made sense to make a rule specifically for episodic games where they would only be eligible in the year they release their final episode. We also had Tales from the Borderlands in a similar situation, and after the rule was enacted it ended up in 7th place last year. I'll update that verbiage this year to be more clear on the rule, but I believe it still makes sense.

And for what it's worth, Kentucky Route Zero placed 34th in 2013.

We had some discussion not too long ago. I don't know if anything came of it. I had a period where I just didn't have an actual minute to keep up with the thread.

There were a few different paths people wanted to take. I was and still am partial to the idea of a separate top 5 for expansions / DLC. I think it would serve a dual purpose of spotlighting great work, but also give us something to point to later. Every time a sale pops up, there are a ton of questions that go along the lines of "Is X DLC worth it?" or "How good is Y expansion?" This alleviates some of that.

I also like the idea of having a separate list for expansions or DLC, and I'm going to try to come up with a way to make that happen. Probably something along the lines of "optional three choices of your favorite DLC from 2016" and "optionally tell me why your first pick is the best".

One of the reasons people like our GotY voting is because it gives people an easy list to point out what games we all (as a whole) recommend to people who are looking for something to play. While Blood and Wine might be great and the best thing SteamGAF has played this year, it's a bit disingenuous (I think) to put it on the list of "best game" when we use the list to say "Go play these games because they're great". At that point we're really just saying: "Go play The Witcher III", which we're already saying because it won first place in 2015's voting by a huge margin.

However, I also see the value in recommending DLC to people - but these recommendations typically stem more from people who already own the base game and are wondering if a particular piece of DLC is worthy of their time and/or money, rather than people looking for something new to play.

So for me at least, two separate lists make sense. But as always, it's open to discussion.

Yakkue

hi steamgaf i am dead and tired and dead inside and i want to tell you about a little thing called Islands

That sounds great, wish I could play first person games.

Lack of mentions of Stardew Valley as GOTY contender makes me sad. It's still my GOTY, BUT I couldn't play Civ 6 which I think would have taken that spot.

I'm not sure yet which game I will go for, Stardew Valley is definitely up there. But I think I had even more fun with Deponia Doomsday..

Playism is bringing Alicemare by the creator of LiEat to Steam.

Neat, thanks for the info!

Nzyme32

steam won best platform at the game awards

I think you mean Golden Joysticks - so basically the "popular vote" of the public. They won every year since the category was introduced. No Gabe this year though, just one of their UK peons

Who were the nominees?

All the usual suspects. Xbox One was 3rd, PS4 2nd, Steam 1st.

If Steam is best, I don't want to know about anyone else.

Naturally :p

Anno

Firewatch is almost surely going to be the indie game winning awards and driving GOTY threads insane this year. Can't wait for the salt.

Orgen

Does anyone know any site that lists the performance of each game depending on the GPU or something similar? My laptop has a GeForce 950M GPU and an i7 4000 something CPU. I wanted to know 2 things:

- How will DOOM run on it?
- Will it MGSV run better on my laptop than on a 360?

Before I got my laptop I was buying games for my 360 for real cheap but reading the PC performance thread on the gaming forum has made me question if it'll be better to buy some titles on steam instead of 360. And I wanted to know if there's any site that could help me or if it's better asking case by case here for example.

Thanks!

zkylon

zkylewd
these golden joystick awards nominated undertale for best indie game when it wasn't even released this year lol

also why is blood and wine getting so many votes and awards

that thing is teeeeeeeerrible -______-

Nzyme32

these golden joystick awards nominated undertale for best indie game when it wasn't even released this year lol

also why is blood and wine getting so many votes and awards

that thing is teeeeeeeerrible -______-

But it was in terms of the valid timeframe for nominations - It was released after the timeframe of the last one but is valid for this one, so it was only eligible for this year.

This was discussed similarly for the game awards yesterday on that youtube gaming show - Tyranny was something one of the folks there wanted to nominate, but it released after the period that the awards did nominations for this year despite being released well before the awards event, so it can be eligible for next years instead

zkylon

zkylewd
the latest nvidia drivers are supposed to be crappy or something?

i think i read something about that

cos disho2 says i should install those

But it was in terms of the valid timeframe for nominations - It was released after the timeframe of the last one but is valid for this one, so it was only eligible for this year.

This was discussed similarly for the game awards yesterday on that youtube gaming show - Tyranny was something one of the folks there wanted to nominate, but it released after the period that the awards will do, so it can be eligible for next years instead
i'm all for undertale winning shit but it feels dumb to me when it wasn't even released this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom