• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | November 2016 - Rally to Restore Fear and/or Sanity in the Steam Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
And you have the same problem - there will still be games that will not fit into this cycle and are cut off between nominations being solidified and the game getting attention. Even for the game awards, they said on the youtube show that Dishonoured 2 couldn't make it into some categories because it released so late - so it can't be in goty this year, but could be next year. This is the same with Film, TV, Books etc. There isn't another option unless you arbitrarily decide all games releasing between x and y date are not eligible even if they are breakout hits
i'm not sure i understand

if u host ur thing like in february you have two months after december so u can just judge an entire year from january 1st to december 31st

why wouldn't that work?

Nzyme32

i'm not sure i understand

if u host ur thing like in february you have two months after december so u can just judge an entire year from january 1st to december 31st

why wouldn't that work?

There is always an interim period where there will be games that can not be eligible for a given award show since they are released during the period that nominations are determined and then locked down. Lets say that is typically a month - that month of games will always get defered to the next years show if there happen to be good games there. You will always have a group of possible games that can get deffered to the next year since they are too late to be eligible for said show. In your example - January's games 2017, get pushed to 2018's show - cue the "how can a 2017 game be eligible in 2018" and we are full circle.

Jawmuncher

Titanfall 2 should've come out in October.

img_07583kkau.jpg

🤔

zkylon

zkylewd
There is always an interim period where there will be games that can not be eligible for a given award show since they are released during the period that nominations are determined and then locked down. Lets say that is typically a month - that month of games will always get defered to the next years show if there happen to be good games there. You will always have a group of possible games that can get deffered to the next year since they are too late to be eligible for said show. In your example - January's games 2017, get pushed to 2018's show - cue the "how can a 2017 game be eligible in 2018" and we are full circle.
why couldn't u review games of the january 2016-december 2016 period in january 2017 and hold the ceremony on february 2017?

then in january 2018 we review games of january 2017-december 2017, and ceremony is in february 2018

etc

Nzyme32

why couldn't u review games of the january 2016-december 2016 period in january 2017 and hold the ceremony on february 2017?

then in january 2018 we review games of january 2017-december 2017, and ceremony is in february 2018

etc

Oh - you could do that, but then you have the problem you originally had - 2017 show having 2016 award show etc etc. You certainly could do that though, it just isn't the norm in any industry at all that I know of

zkylon

zkylewd
Oh - you could do that, but then you have the problem you originally had - 2017 show having 2016 award show etc etc. You certainly could do that though, it just isn't the norm in any industry at all that I know of
oh i get what u mean

yeah that'd definitely be a bit weird but i think it'd feel better to me

don't they do that here in neogaf for goty stuffs?

i'm pretty sure undertale was my #1 last year

Nzyme32

oh i get what u mean

yeah that'd definitely be a bit weird but i think it'd feel better to me

don't they do that here in neogaf for goty stuffs?

i'm pretty sure undertale was my #1 last year

Haha, I completely forgot! We are indeed the only folks that do it that way, and it does make sense, especially when it is so close to the previous year anyway.

The reason they cram those award shows in December is because no one cares about last year after January 1st. Plus it's easy work when employees are going away on holidays.

Corpekata

Banned
February holds GDC and Dice Games Summit, and it's also a pretty back time for games releases compared to December (most AAA games have released by mid November typically).

There's a reason why for instance, the Game Awards airs in December. The only conference is PSX, which is located nearby. It's past the big brutal crunch periods for most companies. It's past most big releases so it's a good time to show off teases of new stuff, and obviously game publishers like their game getting extra press before Xmas.

Doing it per calender year makes sense for websites that don't have any logistics or actual games industry people involved, but it doesn't always for live shows and whatnot.

Tellaerin

Do we have any idea of what's going to be available through Game Pump yet? I know you guys are really hyped about it, but I haven't been able to find any info on what they're planning to release.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do we have any idea of what's going to be available through Game Pump yet? I know you guys are really hyped about it, but I haven't been able to find any info on what they're planning to release.

The games aren't going to be announced ahead of time, with the possible exception of January's.

gngf123

We know they have a partnership with WayForward... but that's seriously it.

It's completely blind, and will remain that way.

Mikurden

Um, this is how the Oscars and lots of things are done. I don't attach any great importance to such things anyway, but I take any organization that doesn't do it this way even less seriously. In the grand sweep of history, there's really no special meaning attached to anyone's list of the best X of year Y, but it's a hell of a lot less arbitrary than a list of the best X from date Y to date Z. The latter only really works if no one is expected to care at all about your list ever again a few months after you put it out, in which case, why care at all in the first place? (As compared to the Oscars, where you might still be interested now in knowing what the best picture of 1988 was.) Marketing is certainly a big part of all of this either way, but it's really the difference between wanting to create a curated historical record of the best a medium has to offer because you actually care about it and just wanting to churn out some disposable, easily forgotten fluff.

I just finished a Dishonored mission and missed a rune.

I couldn't find the level status in the menus and thought I had them all. This sucks, I feel like starting over and doing no kill.

JaseC

I just finished a Dishonored mission and missed a rune.

I couldn't find the level status in the menus and thought I had them all. This sucks, I feel like starting over and doing no kill.

2 takes one step forward and another back in that regard. There's a stats screen you can consult mid-game, however its usefulness is practically limited to ghost/no-kill runs as the only collectable it tracks is gold -- how much you've looted, but not the total amount the level has to offer. That's the step forward, which isn't much of one at all. The kicker is that Arkane, for some utterly bizarre reason, thought it to prudent to remove the option to restart a mission upon completing it, so if you get to the end of, say, mission 5 and realise you missed something, you better hope you have a recent save or you'll be restarting from an earlier mission or even the beginning of the game.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
JaseC shilling for Dishonored, disgusting. How quickly we forget the ones that love us huh Aussie?

Suitable that you're shilling for Dishonored tho since you clearly have no honor!

Styx > Dishonored

JaseC

JaseC shilling for Dishonored, disgusting. How quickly we forget the ones that love us huh Aussie?

Suitable that you're shilling for Dishonored tho since you clearly have no honor!

Styx > Dishonored

Styx 2, in all likelihood, would have been my GOTY if it weren't delayed. :(

Sch1sm

Styx > Dishonored

That spoiler is the most factual statement I've read this week.

I'm with insomnia right now so I may write some thoughts about the games I've been playing.

Owlboy
I loved the game, I understand the complaints and issues some people had but they didn't bothered me. The game start pretty strong showing Otus being teached by hus tutor Asio, and falling the simple tasks he gives. It works pretty well setting some of the mood of the game, because I wasn't expecting it to happen aswell other things that happens during the development of the plot plus the characters expressions and reactions grabbed me and made me care about what was going on.

I played with keyboard and mouse and I felt the controls to be serviceable, even during the stealth moments or the infamous cannon minigame (that I enjoyed >.>). While Otus has unlimited flying the game finds interestings ways of not making you fly in some parts and makes sense in the context you're.

I wouldn't call it a metroidvania because the game is straight forward, you can backtrack and visit previous locations but you can just keep going forward.

Rayman Origins
I'm not playing this one on Steam but on Uplay, anyway it's being played coop between me and my young brother and while it can get a bit chaotic we are having fun with it. My brother gets all excited because we are nearing the ending of the game.

Even though I'm liking Rayman Origins I feel it's inferior to the sequel that I played a bit.

I may start Orwell soon and play more of Gunmetal Arcadia

Ludens

Banned
Completed Until I have you.
Let's say it's a little nice game, with a lot of potential but a lot of issues too.
First, I feel like the game is not calibrated properly: there are sections in which you are supposed to run&jump very fast, but often there's not enough space between landing points to do so, so you need to stop and go on, often resulting into a death.

Often the game as INSANE spikes of difficulty just to return back to mindless sections a second later. Bosses are always easy, even the last one, and you usually kill them in a couple of minutes.

The soundtrack is really good, while the dub not so much. The pixel art is nice, but cutscenes are not so good.

The game is a mix between Hotline Miami, Speedrunner and Kill Bill (for the main theme), I liked it and I think it's worth the price (75% off), but be aware, it's not perfect and there are issues, but the dev is really active patching and ironing out the game, so feel free to suggest him what you think it doesn't work in the Steam community hub and maybe he will give it a look.

Buraindo

That sucks. Hope you had all important stuff backed up somewhere else.

That it does. It had a good run though, can't complain too much.

I've been playing Divinity: Original Sin EE and so far it's been great. Liking the lightheartedness and the combat especially.
Only complaint for now is how NPCs seem unable to be quiet. Especially in the library.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just found out about this game from a thread on gaming. Eternal CCG, its in open beta now apparently

ss_e1863a3f9bd30b3b254810290f76467ea502351f.600x338.jpg
ss_ec79fa056b6a9d8169fb65e44b1edbee975f4478.600x338.jpg

Its basically Hearthstone with Magic The Gathering rules.

"But Rhaknar doesnt Hearthstone play like Magic?"

If you know your CCGs, then you know the awnser to that question is no. Differences:

- You cant attack enemy minions directly with your minions, you issue an attack to the player, and then they can block, or not.

- there are different types (colors) of mana, so cards will be specific to a type, and your decks can have multiple types or just one.

- if you attack with a minion, its "tapped" and cant block, so you actually need to think about your defenses, and also your attacks.

- minions regenerate health at the end of the turn

- you can cast during the other player's turn, with instant casts so you can do stuff like Attack, he blocks, you cast a buff on your minion so yours doesnt die, but he casts a instant fireball to kill it before your buff lands.

Thats just the main differences I saw from the 25 minutes I played just now. The art style is straight out of Hearthstone (hence me saying its HS with MTG rules), it looks feature complete, has great presentation with lots of snazzy effects like HS.

Incredible first impression, if you like CCGs, especially Magic, or even HS but wish HS was a bit more complex, go download this now.

Oh and it seems to have more single player modes. Besides a rudimentry campagin / tutorial, there is a gauntlet which I dont know what it is since its locked, and also a Draft mode against AI.

There is also a Draft against players, and in both Drafts, you actually keep the cards you draft, unlike HS.

kagamin

Wow, the campaign for Titanfall 2 was great, I played it on hard because that's what the game recommended and it took me around 6 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom