• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

It seems to be a known issue, yeah.

also it's time for another shameless announcement from chubigans really sorry y'all

3CdK5KQ.png

ok cy'all laters

EXPLAIN

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've a few Valve employees on my friend's list and I see them regularly playing newly released games, maybe I should bug them and ask how that works exactly now. You know, for science.

Well, earlier in the year new releases stopped being automagically added to sub 61 and (to some extent, since it's always been optional) sub 62, and I later received a PM from someone close to another Steam user who has a press account, which shed some light; apparently, since the change, those with press accounts have to "buy" games at no cost, as opposed to the previous system of the content being added to the press sub automatically unless the publisher opted out. I assume the same is true of Valve employees, but since keys are provided free-of-charge, the likes of Doug Lombardi and Jeep Barnett can simply generate keys for stuff they want.

Dr Dogg

'Genre pigeon holing' can't die, and shouldn't die. A key way the human brain processes information is through correlating data with like data. It also makes communication easier. The issue isn't that we use genres, it's that some people misuse them. JRPG, WRPG, roguelike, drpg, fps, tps, sandbox, etc. are all extremely useful for communication and get across a lot of data quickly and easily. If we needed to describe what a dungeon crawler was every time we discussed any new game, our language would be a failure. Unfortunately... they just get misused sometimes.

Nonesense. You yourself in the part I just edited out have highlighted how easy it is for two people to be on differnt pages when describing a genre. Most of the time there's no hard and fast rule what qualifies as a genre, even more so the more complex a game is and if it falls in to various sub genres and have cross over to varying other ones as well. Half the time no game explicitly states what genre it should belong to, it's all decided by the customer. It maybe getting data across quickly but it's easy to send the wrong idea to that person as either party could have different ideas of what constitues that genre mentioned. It doesn't take hardly any effort to describe the primese of a game in slightly more detail with even a limited vocabulary. Using just an overarching genre to describe a game is plain lazy and does the game itself a diservice.

Lomax

Nonesense. You yourself in the part I just edited out have highlighted how easy it is for two people to be on differnt pages when describing a genre. Most of the time there's no hard and fast rule what qualifies as a genre, even more so the more complex a game is and if it falls in to various sub genres and have cross over to varying other ones as well. Half the time no game explicitly states what genre it should belong to, it's all decided by the customer. It maybe getting data across quickly but it's easy to send the wrong idea to that person as either party could have different ideas of what constitues that genre mentioned. It doesn't take hardly any effort to describe the primese of a game in slightly more detail with even a limited vocabulary. Using just an overarching genre to describe a game is plain lazy and does the game itself a diservice.

You make valid points, but you're ignoring what he's saying. Genre use is human nature, it isn't going to go away. We do need to help improve genre use, and Steam's tagging system is still awful. But just saying "don't use genres" or trying to have anal definitions for each one (like the militant rogue fans) actually results in more bad use, because the people using it will just continue to ignore directions like that. Saying "this is not a metroidvania, and here's why" is valid advice and good discussion; simple chastisement is not.

Benedict

So I made an inquiry about the pre-order bonus greenmangaming have where you get 4 games and a voucher...
http://blog.playfire.com/2014/09/pre-purchase-any-selected-game-receive.html

I pre-ordered Beyond Earth in August and wondered if I as an early buyer would get "rewarded" as well.

THE REPLY:

Thanks for your ticket, this promotion is aimed at users who pre-purchase after the promotion was live, however, as a goodwill gesture below you will find a voucher code to redeem the Welcome Pack on your account as well as a 23% discount voucher.

Not so sure I approve of how they view their customers or use this kind of incentive. This makes me think I might be wary of pre-ordering games at gmg too early.

dex3108

So I made an inquiry about the pre-order bonus greenmangaming have where you get 4 games and a voucher...
I pre-ordered Beyond Earth in August and wondered if I as an early buyer would get "rewarded" as well.

THE REPLY:

Not so sure I approve of how they view their customers or use this kind of incentive. This makes me think I might be wary of pre-ordering games at gmg too early.

Games that they are offering are not that good in my opinion. It is not nice for people who did preorder early but you won't lose anything without those games :D They could do much better in my opinion to boost those preorders.

L.O.R.D

errrrr
every time i open steam i see this game in my face
Roundabout
i need to buy it, but i feel its too expansive
i bought speedrunners for 2.5$
i have no problem to pay 5-6 $ for this game

Tellaerin

http://blog.playfire.com/2014/09/pre-purchase-any-selected-game-receive.html

THE REPLY:

Sounds to me like they're viewing their customers like any other store does. You may have a point about preordering too early, so you might want to wait until a little closer to the release date in the future to avoid missing out on future promos. It hardly seems like they're doing anything anti-consumer by running a promo after you preordered, though. I wouldn't expect to be retroactively entitled to that after I bought the product, any more than I would expect to be refunded the difference if something went on sale after I bought it.

Levyne

Banned
Advantange!

So even with my something-above-100 I'm in the top 20% compared to the gamefaqs populous. Very different than here, it seems.

Knurek

Game 88 of the year, and well... it's been a ride, all right. Can wholeheartedly recommend the game for just about anyone who's not averse to jRPGs.

Although be advised that there sure is a lot of text in the game, with some cutscenes cutting closely to Xenosaga territory, but every character from the game, down to the smallest NPC was given utmost care by the writers, and as such I can't stay mad at the game. Yes, even at the completely bollocks requirements for many of the sidequests.

Miguel81

In case anyone isn't paying attention to Greenlight, Keen Dreams was posted a few days ago. Basically, this is a "lost episode" of the Commander Keen series. It takes places between the first 3 Keen games and the second set of 3 Keen games, it has a theme about vegetables, it has no ray gun and is also missing a number of normal series features, it was published by a different publisher... everything about it is kind of weird. It's not my favourite Keen, but the whole series deserves to be made available. The dev is also promising to look into achievements and other bonus content.

Moreover, the dev, who is just a random guy who licensed the game specifically for release and preservation, uploaded the game's entire source code to GitHub. So, that's pretty badass.

dWPsQT2.gif
NHSXVvt.gif
Hh84PYm.gif

Even if you're not a fan of the series, I think this definitely meets the threshold to be Greenlit, so maybe lend it your vote?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=315040793

One and Done! I've still gotta get the original pack from Steam -- Haven't played them in 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom