• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.
So like half of the games listed under the metroidvania tag are not metroidvanias at all. This tag is shameful, it shames me and others who don't wish to be shamed.

Also, remember when metroidvanias were, like, only castlevania and metroid games? Weird how quickly that changed. I've played four of them alone this year (five if you count Fez, which is kinda metroidvania-ish) and i have at least 2-3 sitting in my backlog.

Grief.exe

So like half of the games listed under the metroidvania tag are not metroidvanias at all. This tag is shameful, it shames me and others who don't wish to be shamed.

Also, remember when metroidvanias were, like, only castlevania and metroid games? Weird how quickly that changed. I've played four of them alone this year (five if you count Fez, which is kinda metroidvania-ish) and i have at least 2-3 sitting in my backlog.

Meteoidvania is like JRPG. The genre term is generally confused and used incorrectly.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

If it's 2/2.5D and you can run to the right, it's a Metroid-like game!

Dr Dogg

Meteoidvania is like JRPG. The genre term is generally confused and used incorrectly.

I can't belive you didn't say Rougelike. That gets missapropirated all the time.

Really genres classification have just become short hand now and sometimes dilutes a game down to something more simpler than it's premise. Is Dark Souls and Action RPG? Yes you could say so but its a whole lot more as well. Genre pigeon holing needs to die along with review scores for the sake of more constructive discussion.

Edit: Did I tell you guys I really, really hate iOS 8!!!

autoduelist

I don't know what's confusing about the term jRPG.

It started out as a genre descriptor and then people started using it as a geographic descriptor, and both sides think the other side is insane.

EDIT: Roguelike is the worst, though. People mostly get metroidvania right. Half the people get JRPG right. Only about 1% of people get roguelike right, to the point the term no longer means what it means.

EDIT X2:

Yes you could say so but its a whole lot more as well. Genre pigeon holing needs to die along with review scores for the sake of more constructive discussion.

'Genre pigeon holing' can't die, and shouldn't die. A key way the human brain processes information is through correlating data with like data. It also makes communication easier. The issue isn't that we use genres, it's that some people misuse them. JRPG, WRPG, roguelike, drpg, fps, tps, sandbox, etc. are all extremely useful for communication and get across a lot of data quickly and easily. If we needed to describe what a dungeon crawler was every time we discussed any new game, our language would be a failure. Unfortunately... they just get misused sometimes.

Jawmuncher

Who has the highest level in steam community? I think this guy: http://steamcommunity.com/id/palmdesert

Eventhough Jasec has the highest number of games.

1d767da3a450abf040e2dfccf5495592d4f91d6e_full.jpg

Current avatar : Exit Through The Gift Shop

Thanks for elaborating on that Palm Desert.

JaseC

Who has the highest level in steam community? I think this guy: http://steamcommunity.com/id/palmdesert

Eventhough Jasec has the highest number of games.

Ha, far from it, actually. http://steamcommunity.com/id/Johcar

I've only been collecting for two-and-a-bit years, and the 2013 Summer Sale is the only time I've had a significant amount of cash to slurge, so I've missed my fair share of stuff.

But, hey, it's been five months and I still haven't come across literally a single other person who has Strategy First's "illegal" version of Infected: The Twin Vaccine, so,

notsohumblenowdwcda.gif

Jawmuncher

Ha, far from it, actually. http://steamcommunity.com/id/Johcar

I've only been collecting for two-and-a-bit years, and the 2013 Summer Sale is the only time I've had a significant amount of cash to slurge, so I've missed my fair share of stuff.

But, hey, it's been five months and I still haven't across literally a single other person who has Strategy First's "illegal" version of Infected: The Twin Vaccine, so,

http://abload.de/img/notsohumblenowdwcda.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

"Different publishers. My guess is that Strategy First saw MumboJumbo's listing and panicked, which is why the game was only available for all of 10 minutes."

Like how you tried to help that user out.

Seems like your standard AI summon. They attack nearby threats, and you can make them explode to cause more damage.

Exactly, I enjoyed this kind of mechanics in other games such as HalfLife 2, but since the characters in SRIV have super-hero powers - that are a lot of fun to use -, based on the video this feature looks a little pointless to me, I am pretty sure I will like it once I get to try it though.

louiedog

The Game Police is curating Steam! The only curator you'll need to protect yourself from the vile non-games that pollute Steam.
http://store.steampowered.com/curator/6859533/

When I got to the one where they condemn SpaceChem for being a non-game because they flat out don't understand it I realized it must be a parody about real police rather than the group of idiots it first appeared to be, because no one is that stupid, right?

JaseC

time to find a third

Speaking of rare games and stuff, Valve told me that it wasn't possible to place a replacement gift copy of ARMA X (NA) in my inventory as it'd have to be pushed though Steam's backend as a purchase and so Valve would need to fling Bohemia its 30% cut (my "issue" was ultimately resolved; as it so happens, Valve can temporarily disable licences), so I can't help but wonder if, ever since sub 61 was emptied, Valve employees are no longer entitled to games that are not publicly available (unless, I suppose, they're willing to pay for them). Kinda takes the wind out of the sails, knowing that being an employee no longer guarantees you an all-you-can-eat buffet.

Edit: That being said, I suppose, from a technical standpoint, there'd no issue with generating keys, since they're provided free of charge. Like, if I wanted the Steam version of Tintin, I could just generate a key for Ubi's dev sub.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Is this happening to anyone else?

It's probably got something to do with Metro, but I don't remember this happening before!

It seems to be a known issue, yeah.

also it's time for another shameless announcement from chubigans really sorry y'all

3CdK5KQ.png

ok cy'all laters

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Congrats! When i finally paid off my car, i was able to free up enough money to live roommate free in a big studio apartment near the heart of Miami.

I don't wanna pay for a car ever again, hah.

Same here. I've only ever had one other car that I financed, and it was the same way: once I paid it off, I never wanted to do that to myself again. Fast forward to about two years ago when I had a bit of a windfall and was able to put a 60% down payment on my current ride. Even though I've only had the payments for 2 years (instead of 5 or some people who are crazy enough to do 6) it's really sucked. Now I'm FREEEEEEE ;)

Nice bumper stickers xD

Thanks! If you see me on the freeway be sure to roll down your window and give me a 70 mph high five!

Speaking of rare games and stuff, Valve told me that it wasn't possible to place a replacement gift copy of ARMA X (NA) in my inventory as it'd have to be pushed though Steam's backend as a purchase and so Valve would need to fling Bohemia its 30% cut (my "issue" was ultimately resolved; as it so happens, Valve can temporarily disable licences), so I can't help but wonder if, ever since sub 61 was emptied, Valve employees are no longer entitled to games that are not publicly available (unless, I suppose, they're willing to pay for them). Kinda takes the wind out the sails, knowing that being an employee no longer guarantees you an all-you-can-eat buffet.

I'm sure they must have other perks too... ;)

I've a few Valve employees on my friend's list and I see them regularly playing newly released games, maybe I should bug them and ask how that works exactly now. You know, for science.

Turfster

Bundlestars Valhalla Bundle
Price: 3.59€
  • King's Bounty Warriors of the North
  • Soldiers: Heroes of World War II
  • Star Wolves 3: Civil War
  • Perimeter + DLC
  • Planet Alcatraz
  • 7.62 High Calibre
  • Parkan II
  • Theatre of War

hellocld

Is this happening to anyone else?

It's probably got something to do with Metro, but I don't remember this happening before!

I was having the same issue yesterday with the Linux client. Just needed to restart Steam a couple times, seemed to do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom