• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can get Pork Buns / Baozi anywhere when I am back in China. There are so many different flavors.
The ones I love the most though are the ones the grandma of my gf makes. Strangely every Chinese hates her baozi, but I really love them.

What I never understood though, in Sleeping Dogs it shows these are Shanghai Baozi. And in the german translation they translate it to "Hot Dogs"....

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Nobody? Nobody wants any of the X-Com spinoffs?

You know, actually that sounds about right. Carry on.

Dr Dogg

Hahaha bizarrely that links to Durante's tool.

I'm even not sure how to react to this, seriously, Viewsonic pro series monitors calibrate admirably even for CMYK, grey balance too for years, to the point of being the best for their price and other monitors not even worth considering for any colour sensitive work. Oh well, that's not really steam related talk anyway, so we can stop now. And I'm pretty sure that we are too set in our ways for discussion to change anything. ;)

Oh come on any monitor you can pick up for pennies you can calibrate to a reasonable degree with even a couple of test cards let alone a Spyder. Problem I've had with the two AH-IPS ViewSonic panels in the past (I'm guessing they were the older LG ones) was the poor uniformity where towards the perimiter of the screen you'd get bad colour shift that I've only ever had minimal amounts from over 10 years of using Dell monitors, probably even using exactly the same panels from LG. I've heard recently they've switched to Samsung's PLS panels but I tried one of them a month ago and it had poor contrast levels and off centre shift mainly in a vertical plain to be of any decent muli purpose use. But I'm a fussy bugger and you're probably right with us both being set in our ways :p

Ya company, or brand to be more precise, don't know much about company aside of couple of stunts that were pure comedy gold.

Hahaha fair enough. Just as long as a Dell employe didn't cause you a traumatic experience in the past.

Lomax

Nobody? Nobody wants any of the X-Com spinoffs?

You know, actually that sounds about right. Carry on.

I'd imagine the vast majority of us already got them from the bundle, or one of the myriad of giveaways around that time. Wait six months for a new crowd with new demands ;-)

Dr Dogg

Ass Creed glitches are always the best.

On a semi related note, after caving in and grabbing Shadow of Mordor earlier because I'm weak it's still not downloaded (hence why I'm still up at this stupid hour). I thought it was my crappy Internet but it turns out it paused itself for 5 hours without me noticing. It's Mordor I tells ya!

Shadownet

Banned
On a semi related note, after caving in and grabbing Shadow of Mordor earlier because I'm weak it's still not downloaded (hence why I'm still up at this stupid hour). I thought it was my crappy Internet but it turns out it paused itself for 5 hours without me noticing. It's Mordor I tells ya!

Check your Steam setting. You probably have the option to pause download whenever you start an online game. You usually have to remember to restart manually after you finish playing. But you can make it so that your download won't pause even if you start a game.

Mordor plays well on my 2500k/560ti.

The game wants to default to a mix of low and mediums, at 720p. I quickly changed it to 1080, but I have it hooked up to my TV for couch gaming and I had some mid-screen tearing. I switched Vsync on to fix that.

No stutters, no frame slowdowns, looks pretty good even on the mix of mediums and lows.

Dr Dogg

Check your Steam setting. You probably have the option to pause download whenever you start an online game. You usually have to remember to restart manually after you finish playing. But you can make it so that your download won't pause even if you start a game.

Ah that's a good point as I've just done a fresh install of the client. Though the odd thing is I haven't played a game since last night! More than likely my dopey internet cutting out and it just never restarted it. I'll have a look see just in case. Cheers.

Slavik81

Noooooooo!
Dear Steam User,

Steam will soon be priced in Canadian Dollar!

If your Steam wallet has any money in it onOctober 7th, 2014 (Pacific Time), your U.S. Dollar balance will be converted to the Canadian Dollar, at a conversion rate dictated by market value at the time of conversion.

To view your account balance, simply log into your Steam client or the Steam website at http://www.steampowered.com. Once you have logged in, you will see your balance in the upper-right corner next to your account name.

Thanks,

The Steam Support Team

http://support.steampowered.com

Chère utilisatrice, cher utilisateur Steam,

Le dollar canadien arrive bientôt sur Steam!

Si votre porte-monnaie Steam contient un crédit au 7 octobre 2014 (UTC+8), le solde disponible en dollar US sera automatiquement converti en dollar canadien au taux de change en vigueur au moment de la conversion.

Une fois connecté sur Steam vous pouvez consulter le solde de votre porte-monnaie : il est affiché dans la partie supérieure droite du navigateur (à l’adresse http://www.steampowered.com) ou du client Steam, à côté du nom de compte.

Cordialement,

L’équipe du Support Steam
http://support.steampowered.com

madjoki

Mordor plays well on my 2500k/560ti.

The game wants to default to a mix of low and mediums, at 720p. I quickly changed it to 1080, but I have it hooked up to my TV for couch gaming and I had some mid-screen tearing. I switched Vsync on to fix that.

No stutters, no frame slowdowns, looks pretty good even on the mix of mediums and lows.

Even Radeon HD6870 gives 50+ fps with mostly medium.

Could be that there are some more intensive scenes later in, but looks like those recommendations are little overblown.

I played the Vanishing of Ethan Carter for a couple of hours today. It looks absolutely phenomenal. Best looking game I've seen since BF4 released last year. I find myself spending more time walking around the map and framing screenshots than actually playing the game.

Which is probably a good thing because I'm not completely sold on the gameplay yet. So far, every section of the game has you doing a different type of task to solve a puzzle or progress. Which is not a bad thing, but it feels disjointed and incongruous. It's lacking a certain flow or thematic consistency which I find very noticeable. Although I am only about half way through the game so it's possible that it all comes together later.

But damn does it look pretty.

jblank83

those recommendations are little overblown.

PC games have come with two sets of recommendations for decades.

1. Minimum - to successfully run the game at lowest settings
2. Maximum or recommended - to play the game at a solid framerate at high settings

The "6gb vram" people have been mentioning is to run the game at 60fps with Ultra quality textures and all options maxed out. However, just a couple of settings lowered (antialiasing) will get 4gb vram cards to run ultra quality textures at stable framerates.

Here are the min/max recommendations on the Steam page.

Minimum:
Processor: Intel Core i5-750, 2.67 GHz | AMD Phenom II X4 965, 3.4 GHz
Memory: 3 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 | AMD Radeon HD 5850

Recommended:
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz | AMD FX-8350, 4.0 GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 | AMD Radeon HD 7950

Anteater

well, beat the warlock in abyss odyssey last night after not touching the game for several months, will probably mess around with it some more but I don't think I really enjoy the combat all that much. The saving helps even though I made the mistake of quitting before the boss and had to restart all over. When I last played at release the game's controls stopped working once I got to second last level, so that kind of save system pre-patch kind of worked against it and affected my enjoyment especially when I love playing games in short bursts.

I think I might get back to finishing the longest journey.

Ozium

Dear AMD,

0LQpbEI.gif

Thanks

BasilZero

Finished The Walking Dead Season 1 along with its 400 days DLC.

Dem feels.

Started on Half-Life 1.....non-source...always wanted to play a HL game lol - man dat nostalgia though of the 1990s shooters.

Also downloaded Darksiders 2 - will play it through October just in time for the season ;)

Whats wrong with Tera?

It was meant to relaunch on Steam yesterday, now its in the "popular new releases", but you cant download it and it shows it will be available on 31st December 2018.

madjoki

PC games have come with two sets of recommendations for decades.

1. Minimum - to successfully run the game at lowest settings
2. Maximum or recommended - to play the game at a solid framerate at high settings

I know. Just that VRAM for medium is 2GB, while 6870 has 1GB.
So I wasn't certainly expecting 50fps @ medium.

it was $.33 tbqh but I'll remember that next time you pre-order something at a discount on GMG

Your AMD voucher isn't a pre-order, sir.
(Just as my Sniper Elite 3 wasn't. Sure, they did an admirable job of getting me the code before release, but at the same time, I got none of the preorder bonuses.)

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified -- MB-120EDE759C985A7D - Taken by Nyteshade517. 9 entrants total.

t1412127431z1.png

Braag

http://a.pomf.se/eaetkf.webm
AssLib has some odd glitches in it, it's like the QA was done by Bethesda or something.

lmao. I ran into only couple of minor glitches during my playthrough of ACL but nothing this hilarious.
In AC4 I got that glitch were my ship emerges from water when I'm at a harbor of a city several times though, it always reminded me of the Flying Dutchman from the PotC movies :D

Miguel81

Judging by the recs and some Youtube benchmarks(trustworthy?), my 8320 should do fine at 4ghz. My gpu is already up to the task I have no doubt.

Nuuvem is selling SoM cheap. It'll activate if purchased from the US, am I correct?

Miguel81

Yup, it's hellish. There's no way to make it easier, no trick to it.. you've just got to fight your way through everytime.

Just for comparison-sake, Which boss/location in the original DS would be the most similar PITA?

*Will pick up DS2 when it comes in a complete package for a low price.

Thinking of overclocking my i5 3570k finally to see what performance I can get, but not sure if what to play to test it.

I don't think it will have an effect on Mordor but.

Uzzy

Just for comparison-sake, Which boss/location in the original DS would be the most similar PITA?

*Will pick up DS2 when it comes in a complete package for a low price.

I don't think there is a comparison really. It's uniquely hellish, and probably a fittingly horrific final challenge for Dark Souls 2.

The rest of the DLC is well worth it though, giving you a great snowy styled area to explore and some rather fun boss fights with interesting mechanics.

Li Kao

Tried Payday 1. Not bad. Could be better. So glad to see that my right mouse button is acting up just like in Borderland (I have to push on a very specific point and pray for it to register and aim down sight).
Pretty pissed. Logitech G500. My ass.

redlacs

Tried Payday 1. Not bad. Could be better. So glad to see that my right mouse button is acting up just like in Borderland (I have to push on a very specific point and pray for it to register and aim down sight).
Pretty pissed. Logitech G500. My ass.

G700 here, same problem. have sights on caps lock for quite some time now. got used to it faster than expected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom