• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saty

Online retail giant Green Man Gaming has opened a digital publishing arm called Green Man Loaded.

This is to be headed up by former Codemasters and Sega exec Gary Rowe, who is now serving as EVP of publishing.

Back in February MCV reported that Green Man Gaming was helping indie developers find a route to market on the store. But now the retailer is actually putting money behind indies to help them finish their games.

Green Man Loaded will be offering support for developers such as marketing, PR, sales, and QA and localisation. This is on top of closed betas that will take place in the PlayFire community. Developers retain the rights to their IP, too.
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/green-man-gaming-opens-publishing-arm/0139135

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
Excellent. No one remembers me. Just how I like it. Its not Shadownet for nothing y'all know.

who are you again?
co.gif

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
But doing it like that take forever! Gotta exploit their weaknesses!

That's true. I also just let them all level up a bunch to make things more interesting.
And there is one guy I particularly like, he "survived" my attacks two times and now he just wears a bag over his face cause it's so messed up. I like him. I won't kill that guy.

Also if you don't want to be recognized just change your avatar once a week. Nobody will ever know who you are.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Basically it has combat, collectibles and not much else? Is that what you are saying? And even combat is not fun?
Gollum is not in every LotR game, though

No, there is the Nemesis system which can be pretty interesting though I guess I'm not far enough into the game to get the most of it. There are some really neat systems in the game that you can use to your advantage...but you don't have to (at least where I'm at)

Cause the combat is...alright, depening on what you're feelings are about the combat in the Batman games. I just wish the combat against the higher ranking orcs was more challenging. It's fun against a mindless horde of orcs but it saddly doesn't really change when you fight stronger enemies except you need to hit A sometimes instead of Y. I never really cared about combat system in Batman, and I think I like this a bit more then the AA system so it depends on your thoughts on this.

Shadownet

Banned
I really like what Monolith did with this Nemesis system. Every Captains I encounter has their own little personality based on their name.

Like I met this one called Something the Rhymer (I killed like hundreds of orcs, I can't remember their names)

The first time I met him. He actually spit out a sick rhyme while trash talking to me. I decided to let him live, I encounter him 3 more times. Each time was a different rhyme. It was quite fun until I killed him off. The next guy was Something the Blue. And sure enough his armor was mostly blue.

Another guy was Something the Swift. He was so swift that apparently I can't even sneak up on him. It was incredible.

I think throughout 11 hours I only encounter like 2 repeats that I noticed in the enemies concepts. Which is pretty damn good. A lot of variety.

I hope they expand on this system if they decide to make a sequel or use it for other game.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
If someone said to you (that's the royal you) at the start of the year there would be a return to form for Wolfentien, Metal Gear Solid V and Final Fantasy XIII would be coming to Steam, there will be a Lord of the Rings game loved by fans and critics alike, an Alien title that delivered suspense and tension or killing waves of dudes, Mikami proves there's still life in mainstream survival horror with The Evil Within and an Assassin's Creed game that rejuvenates the formula you'd have been laughed out of town. Looking good on some of them so far.
Not to mention the fact that my GOTY so far is a 2D hand-drawn turn-based RPG made by Ubisoft, with poetry-like writing. The world has gone crazy.

Arthea

oh, Cherry Tree High was greenlit recently
It doesn't seem to be the sequel, not sure what it is. VN based on Cherry Tree High Comedy Club? but it's already a VN. So confusing...

I'm not fond of new system of silent greenlit process, no announcements, no anything.

It doesn't seem to be the sequel, not sure what it is. VN based on Cherry Tree High Comedy Club? but it's already a VN. So confusing...

I'm not fond of new system of silent greenlit process, no announcements, no anything.

I think It's the same game, but in the previous version they changed the location to Murrica, this is the original game set in Japan, and I think they improved the localization too.

Nice new avatar

Dr Dogg

Not to mention the fact that my GOTY so far is a 2D hand-drawn turn-based RPG made by Ubisoft, with poetry-like writing. The world has gone crazy.

Ah damn it I've spotted a typo in my original post!

Yeah Child of Light and Valiant Hearts are anything but what you'd expect out of Ubisoft directly. 'Tis been an odd year where the big budget games haven't met expectations mostly and the titles that would usually get overlooked have actually shined. Though there is still the crazy, release packed months of October and November to go so they might be even more surprises to come.

Chariot

From what I gather from the description it's another game, a sequel, that also includes the original Cherry Tree High. And while you had still gameplay there this is a linear story without any gameplay. Just reading, no time management, no choice. Only a story.

Tellaerin

Who are you?

(And why is some happy young girl holding you like that? :eek:)

Arthea

From what I gather from the description it's another game, a sequel, that also includes the original Cherry Tree High. And while you had still gameplay there this is a linear story without any gameplay. Just reading, no time management, no choice. Only a story.

I'm not sure it's good idea, though

Who are you?

(And why is some happy young girl holding you like that? :eek:)

It's one of legendary heroes - Estelle
and she happily (em)bracer me, because I'm joy to behold (><)

Braag

I tried to be crafty and buy the physical copy of Shadow of Mordor (it still needs a steam activation to work obviously) so I wouldn't need to download the game and instead install it from the disk which is faster... it comes in 5 DVDs and there's like a ton more to download too after that ;_;

I tried to be crafty and buy the physical copy of Shadow of Mordor (it still needs a steam activation to work obviously) so I wouldn't need to download the game and instead install it from the disk which is faster... it comes in 5 DVDs and there's like a ton more to download too after that ;_;

Modern gaming! Luckily I have excellent internet with no caps but I feel for you bro.

Chariot

5 DVDs. Jesus, I remember being annoyed at Kotor II for having like 4 CDs. Can blu-rays work like DVDs for games and programs?

Arthea

It doesn't work like that anymore, weirdly I got this lesson from Uncharted 3, I couldn't even begin to imagine how long it would take to download it from PSN (my PSN download speeds are something like 1/30 of steam ones (><), so I bought a physical copy. Not only I still had to download a lot, a game starts by preloading from br and it literally takes too long to even bother waiting for a game to start. Never again!

5 DVDs. Jesus, I remember being annoyed at Kotor II for having like 4 CDs. Can blu-rays work like DVDs for games and programs?

Yeah, they can. But blu-ray drives aren't anywhere near prevalent enough to be able to do that. Plus that shit's still expensive, more so than DVDs anyway.

Milamber

Do they come in those fat jewel cases like Diablo 2 and Red Alert?

aku:jiki

Holy shit, my insanely-priced Fancy Skulls cards actually sold! Scoring €0,60 for a regular card is pretty insane.

Now someone buy the €35 foil.

Dr Dogg

Reminds me of Wolfenstien TNO. 4 DVDs which I had to use a laptop to install it by proxy as not having an optical drive in anything else. Installed about 35gb of data and then needed to download a further 10gb. It worked out quicker but not as quick as I'd have thought.

Braag

Modern gaming! Luckily I have excellent internet with no caps but I feel for you bro.

I have no caps either and my internet speed is decent (50mbps) but it still takes a while to download a huge game like SoM.
It turns out the disks didn't speed up the process much.

Do they come in those fat jewel cases like Diablo 2 and Red Alert?

haha, thankfully no. It's a regular DVD case :D

4Eeb.jpg

It doesn't work like that anymore, weirdly I got this lesson from Uncharted 3, I couldn't even begin to imagine how long it would take to download it from PSN (my PSN download speeds are something like 1/30 of steam ones (><), so I bought a physical copy. Not only I still had to download a lot, a game starts by preloading from br and it literally takes too long to even bother waiting for a game to start. Never again!

Yeah, I guess it's better to just download the entire thing rather than swap disks all the time.

I have no caps either and my internet speed is decent (50mbps) but it still takes a while to download a huge game like SoM.
It turns out the disks didn't speed up the process much.

Oh, right. Your internet is solid. Do you normally buy games physically or was this a one-off? I'm about 75mbps and it took me around 30-60 minutes to download SoM + the texture pack. Not too bad.

Dr Dogg

I don't know if this is a stupid question or not, but does anybody know why isn't original Theme Hospital in steam? I know it is on GOG. Is any license rights issue?

Sadly it's an EA game so Steam is out of the question. Though it's up on Origin.

Braag

Oh, right. Your internet is solid. Do you normally buy games physically or was this a one-off? I'm about 75mbps and it took me around 30-60 minutes to download SoM + the texture pack. Not too bad.

I prefer to buy my games digital. I usually buy physical copies only if it's on sale.
Most games these days require a Steam, Origin or Uplay account anyway so even retail copies end up technically being digital copies so it doesn't really make much of a difference.

Jawmuncher

Why are DVDs still a thing for PC gaming anyway?
I'm assuming DVDs are cheaper than Bluray and Bluray still has been barely adopted for PCs due to price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom