• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2016 |OT| It's better than nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einhander

BG 1 and 2 if you want something with a meaty story. Icewind is more combat oriented with a fairly barebones story (you create your party rather than have them be pre-defined NPCs, for instance).

Though honestly I think BG1 can be a bit tedious, BG2 is really the pinnacle of that era.

Do I need to know the events of BG1 to understand what's going on in BG2?

Miletius

No. It's helpful, but not essential. They do a recap for people who may not have played the previous games.

If you are not a fan of the genre or just new, I think BG is worth skipping. BG2 is a much better game, and it gets over a lot of the learning curve that is in 1 (namely, dying to a pack of wolves right out the gate).

Einhander

No. It's helpful, but not essential. They do a recap for people who may not have played the previous games.

If you are not a fan of the genre or just new, I think BG is worth skipping. BG2 is a much better game, and it gets over a lot of the learning curve that is in 1 (namely, dying to a pack of wolves right out the gate).

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Jimrpg

I only bought Tabletop Simulator

This caught my eye browsing this thread.

And I buckled and got it. Darn you! :p /joking

I can't believe there are so many euro game mods... ever since moving overseas, i haven't been able to play any euro games cause they are all back home. I can't wait to fire it up!

Final Tally -

Europa Universalis IV Collection
Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends
Tabletop Simulator
Age of Empires II HD and expansions
Cities Skylines After Dark DLC
The Golf Club Seasons DLC
Euro Truck Simulator Scandinavia DLC
3D Mark

Total spend was about AU$50

Honourable mentions to Tennis Elbow 2013, Stardew Valley, FFXIII-2, Democracy 3, Grim Dawn - all of which I was very close to getting, but would have cost me double what I already paid.

I also spent some on the Big in Japan Sale on PSN... Ico/SOTC HD, Tactics Ogre, what a few weeks!

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Lost track of time and forgot the sale ends tomorrow! I don't think it's too late for some giveaways...

Indie Games Giveaway
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Dupy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Child of Light -- MB-142042A3994EF3EF - Taken by Costa1774. 5 entrants total.
Stardew Valley -- MB-DC587143F180585D - Taken by Belgarion. 19 entrants total.

t1467609975z1.png

Lomax

I just spent over $200 on wine and food in Napa today, so someone talk me out of this. I already bought Super Mega Baseball a few minutes ago.

DrTFkSq.png

Yousefb

Welp, good thing I didn't buy DOOM. I downloaded the demo and everytime I try to start it the app crashes. I'll stick to my pre 2013 games for now lol.

Dupy

DC Giveaway
ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Dupy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Batman: Arkham Knight -- MB-01CCCA658C083545 - Taken by rainking187. 17 entrants total.
Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition -- MB-CEA7D42136A76D14 - Taken by Barzul. 3 entrants total.

t1467611005z1.png

Tizoc

Pretty sure the baby DRPG thing referring to ray Gigant tho

btw Tizoc, buy Danganronpa 1 now or saving for 999 port?
Cant go wrong with dr1 the port is good and is moddable
I own dr1 and 2 on vita but eill grab both in the newr future when theyre cheaper ;p
Im getting 999 on pc day 1 though

Corpekata

Banned

It's a direct sequel, but one that catches you up pretty quickly. Most of the main plot in BG1 isn't really referenced very directly, just the intro and the villain's motivations being important factors. A lot of party members reappear but in BG1 they were not too fleshed out, basically having an introduction and a quest, and that's about it.

So if you're a total completionist, you should start with 1, but I think 2 works as a good enough starting point that catches players up quickly (you can choose options at the start where your character doesn't remember things well, and you'll get more of an info dump).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Missed Dupy Stardew Valley because had to do some work for once. Feels bad ;_;

sadblob

One of my steam friends literally has a whole pastebin relegated to explaining why its more fun for him to play Terraria by himself.

I'll try it, I guess I can always refund it or just leave it there.

Btw, how do refunds work with discounted stuff? Say I ask for one in a week, I assume I'll get back the money I paid, not the current price, right?

Faenix1

I'll try it, I guess I can always refund it or just leave it there.

Btw, how do refunds work with discounted stuff? Say I ask for one in a week, I assume I'll get back the money I paid, not the current price, right?

Why would they give you back more, or less, than you paid? of course it'll be what you paid lol

Dupy

Age of Empires II Giveaway
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Age of Empires II HD -- MB-A4D8DFEC20A1A97E - Taken by PsychoWARD23

oipic

For those newer to Steam or the sale threads etc, Dupy's dropping of generosity bombs is legendary (thanks again, Dupy!).

My dark horse recommendation for this sale is Total War: Warhammer. It is unbelievably fun to play.

It isn't even on sale and yet I'm still recommending it. It's that good
You guys got any good indie recs that are $5 or less and came out within the past year?

One Way Heroics (2014) and its Plus Expansion (2015). GOAT gameplay value for well under five dollars.

Or, if you're really looking for a deal, get the Playism bundle which includes OWH/+. Price is a bit higher, though.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Looking like I'm going to be getting

Undertale
The Long Dark
Axiom Verge
Ubermosh

and I'm thinking about adding maybe Door Kickers or the One Way Heroics expansion

Man, I bought 55 dollars worth of games (+ Zero Time Dilemma @ full price)
and yet I feel like I am missing something.

Rebel Galaxy - $9.99
Resident Evil 6 Complete - $8.39
BioShock 2 - $2.71
Tales of Symphonia - $7.99
Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - $21.59
HunieCam Studio - $4.61

I usually spend more on these sales, but I dunno, I still have a few games I need to pick up but I am not sure what else to buy.

DrAg0nBoY

Guys I still have 11 € to spend, but don't know what to buy. Any RPG recomendations? Looking at Tales of Symphonia, but don't know if there is anything other that is better.

Guys I still have 11 € to spend, but don't know what to buy. Any RPG recomendations? Looking at Tales of Symphonia, but don't know if there is anything other that is better.

Valkyria Chronicles
Shadowrun Series
Kingdoms of Amalur
Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition

I've never played the Tales games so I dunno how they stack up though

kagamin

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, I can't recommend it and it's sequel enough.

DrAg0nBoY

Valkyria Chronicles
Shadowrun Series
Kingdoms of Amalur
Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition

I've never played the Tales games so I dunno how they stack up though

Bought Shadowrun Dragonfall and Dark Souls. Thinking about Kingdoms of Amalur now for a loooong time, but don't know if I should or not. Don't really think I would like Valkyria Chronicles though.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, I can't recommend it and it's sequel enough.

Well I could buy the first one. Will look into it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom