• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2016 |OT| It's better than nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desi

it also retailed on PC for half price though, and it's a much, much better game than AC2

this could be you
Fire_and_Ice-300x220.png

I picked up Shovel Knight.

Anything you guys would recommend for a shooter/platformer/RPG (not JRPG) fan before the sale ends in a couple hours?

Tizoc

I picked up Shovel Knight.

Anything you guys would recommend for a shooter/platformer/RPG (not JRPG) fan before the sale ends in a couple hours?
Freedom planet is tomthe genesis/md what shovel knight is to the nes
It had been cheaper before and can be bought along with 7 other games for usd 15 over at humblebundle.com

rickyson1

2 hours till I can get rid of the weird urge i've been feeling to buy stardew valley the past few days

like a 0.0001% chance i'd actually play it before it's cheaper so been avoiding it

mdzapeer

Bought the Dead Rising collection.

And Dying Light.

Not sure if I should refund the Dead Rising collection, only played dead rising 2 the rest are still downloading.

I only have time for 1 zombie game but if they are different enough I might keep them both.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I had fun with these games:

I finally tried hexcells out just now - oh my god its minesweeper sudoku. I'm hooked.

Are the three games all independent - I can play hexcells and then move onto plus and infinite? They don't supplant each other? Hexcells seems fairly short but its soo good. Scratches that puzzle itch nicely, with a lovely ambient soundtrack that nicely integrates your moves with additional plinky plonky notes.

Volcynika

Only a couple hours left, but (posted this in the haul thread accidentally):

I have a couple small qualms, but I checked out Ghost 1.0 (even though I couldn't really get into UnEpic at all), and I'm enjoying it! I just beat the first boss, so looking forward to playing it more.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Bought the Dead Rising collection.

And Dying Light.

Not sure if I should refund the Dead Rising collection, only played dead rising 2 the rest are still downloading.

I only have time for 1 zombie game but if they are different enough I might keep them both.

I need someone to tell me DR3 is worth it. I know its cheap but all these games add up after a while. if DR4 isn't until next year I might grab it, but if its coming this year then I might just wait for that instead.

Anno

Flipping through SteamSpy's count of sales from 6/23 through yesterday's update is interesting. Payday 2 seems like the big winner in volume so far. DOOM has done very well for itself, unsurprisingly. And the no-gifting policy doesn't seem to have hurt CS:GO too much.

Flipping through SteamSpy's count of sales from 6/23 through yesterday's update is interesting. Payday 2 seems like the big winner in volume so far. DOOM has done very well for itself, unsurprisingly. And the no-gifting policy doesn't seem to have hurt CS:GO too much.
Blegh, payday 2 was ruined with updates and dlc. I've played it since the beta and hate that it got more than 1 sale.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
nope, cant make myself get anything else. Gonna save the money for No Man's Sky if it pans out, if not, I dunno...for South Park or something. I need to stop buying gift cards >_>

illusionary

AoW3 is great and the expansions only make it better. The best fantasy 4X on the market. If you like 4Xes I imagine you'll enjoy it a lot.

Okay, I've seen this one too many times to ignore :p Bought, cheers. No "
Enjoying the little things" card to complete the set, sadly, so I guess that I'll just be turning them all into gems.

I think I may be done with the sale for now. Endless Legend is still of interest, but has been a little cheaper and I can't shake the feeling that it might be bundled before too long. Ghost 1.0 also tempts me, but I don't really know much about it other than a few brief (though highly positive) comments in this and related threads...

I finally tried hexcells out just now - oh my god its minesweeper sudoku. I'm hooked.

Are the three games all independent - I can play hexcells and then move onto plus and infinite? They don't supplant each other? Hexcells seems fairly short but its soo good. Scratches that puzzle itch nicely, with a lovely ambient soundtrack that nicely integrates your moves with additional plinky plonky notes.

Yep, entirely independent and I'd recommend playing through them in order. The puzzles increase in complexity as you go from each game to the next and once you get to Infinite, while perhaps not truly infinite, there's enough there to keep you going for a *very* log time!

Tizoc

How is Dead Rising 3? Never played 1, really liked 2. For that price? Did they fix issues on PC version? Heard it was bad.
Dr3 port just...runs on pc
The original game was a mess and that still remains in the pc ver
The game just...works on pc

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
You can't really say it holds up if you use several overhauls, now can you?

Personally I'd say yes it does. One great thing about PC gaming (and Elder Scrolls games, in particular) is that they're built with mod support in mind. I'm playing the same game I first played 10 years ago - but thanks to modders it's like I'm playing an "HD Remaster". The texture pack is just a 4x or 8x uprez (some done by hand). Other mods I have change the way lighting works, adds "god rays", etc but even that mod is only 15MB in size. The realistic leveling mod I mentioned earlier is 22KB. The largest "overhaul" type mods I have are the "unofficial patch" mods, which total about 239MB. The game runs natively at 1440p without mods, and that itself is pretty damn impressive for a game that released in '06.

Don't get me wrong, setting up the mods has been a bit of work and the learning curve on setting them up correctly is fairly steep. But I personally think the fact that the game is customizable to the point that it can look and play this well is just as much a testament to the game itself as it is to the modding community.

Yukinari

In the final 2 hours of the sale i bought 19 games that were all 5 dollars or less. I may or may have not bought some cheap meme games but there was a fair share of cool stuff in there like Grim Fandango and Pac-Man 256. I still miss the daily deals.

Knurek

The game runs natively at 1440p without mods, and that itself is pretty damn impressive for a game that released in '06.

Does it have the absurd 'let's set up the UI by absolute values instead of percentage' thingy many other (newer!) games have?
For example both Mass Effect and Arkham Asylum will stop being playable once everyone switches to 4K, as the subtitle size both of them use is ridiculously tiny at anything above 1080p.

unrealist

Divinity Origin Enhanced edition worth it? I am a fan of Fallout 2 and Icewind Dale and it seems the isometric style is almost the same without guns .. RPG but with slightly more action. However I hate wordy games like BG and Planescape Torment etc..

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Does it have the absurd 'let's set up the UI by absolute values instead of percentage' thingy many other (newer!) games have?
For example both Mass Effect and Arkham Asylum will stop being playable once everyone switches to 4K, as the subtitle size both of them use is ridiculously tiny at anything above 1080p.

I haven't installed any UI mods yet though I might get around to it since the PC version of the game copied the console UI. However, it still scales properly and looks good and the text is easy to read and is approximately the size I believe it should be.

Divinity Origin Enhanced edition worth it? I am a fan of Fallout 2 and Icewind Dale and it seems the isometric style is almost the same without guns .. RPG but with slightly more action. However I hate wordy games like BG and Planescape Torment etc..
I've heard almost nothing but praise about it and it's all voice acted.

L.O.R.D

any one have "You had one job!" and "Don't go chasing fireflies" cards?
i need 1 for each one to complete my set
i have 3 "Naptime is the best time"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom