• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sale 2017 |OT| The Weather's Hot and the Deals are Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen Aku

Sorry I asked this before but wasn't sure if it got answers. Are there any VR games essential that I need to pick up this sale?

WOW, this Steam thing is so addictive.
I havent got a decent computer for gaming in more than 20 Years.
So i decide to buy a new PC and try some old games.
I end up spending more than $100. LOL. Some games cost me only 2 bucks

welcometopcgaming.gif

The breadth of genres is what'll get you next, followed by customizability. Enjoy!

RootCause

Got a couple of games.
Mass Effect 1, and 2
Splinter Cell Conviction
Splinter Cell Blacklist
Ninja Gaiden Z
Ghost Recon FS
Batman Origins Season pass

Dying light worth getting if im playing Solo only?
Definitely! I played it solo the first time. Quite possibly the best zombie game to date imo.

Aaron D.

Two hours left. As someone who owns Divinity: Original Sin and has played only about 10 hours of it, and has kickstarted Divinity OS 2 ... should I cough up the $18 for Pillars of Eternity?

D:OS & PoE are both fantastic WRPGs.

But for my money, I enjoyed PoE significantly more.

It's a huge time sink, so if you don't have the time right now you might be best off simply waiting for it to drop even lower.

But either way, don't sleep on it. It's an amazing experience.

What's this, someguyinahat? Not reviewing a hidden-object game? Stranger things have happened! Here we go with my impressions for Kathy Rain: A Detective is Born.

The story: You play the titular character, a "bad girl" (She smokes cigarettes! She's committed crimes! She's had an abortion!) second-year journalism student (but apparently age 21, so maybe she took some years off?) who seems to have a good heart and some sense of justice. Her dormmate Eileen, a "good girl" prim-and-proper Christian of unspecified denomination, but with the occasional impish streak, informs Kathy of her estranged grandfather's death and essentially forces her to go to the funeral. Kathy goes back to Conwell Springs, a small-town America Twin Peaks-type place, and finds her estranged grandmother, only to discover that her grandfather had become vegetative under mysterious circumstances several years prior to his death. Kathy's main objective is to figure out what really happened to her grandfather, but there's the subtext of making peace with her family and with her past.

There are bits where it gets weird, and despite the weirdness it's a bit predictable, but on the whole it's a cohesive story. It also keeps the characters in check with the adventure game thing: being a "bad girl" explains and justifies some of the criminal-type acts she does, being a journalism student works with trying to solve the mystery, etc. There's only a bit of anachronism (I really doubt software would be that advanced in 1995,) but it wasn't that big a deal.

The post-credits ending was kinda lame. I kinda hoped that if there are any sequels she'd be able to put the events of the first game behind her, but it looks like no.

The gameplay and puzzles: Not many puzzles at all. There was one poem-based puzzle about 3/4 of the way into the game that was a bit tougher, but you're given hints all the way through it so you could brute force it. The game actually comes close to being a visual novel, with just enough inventory puzzles to classify it as "point-and-click."
They did their homework in terms of point-and-clicks though: when you're given a phone, what's the first thing you attempt in a game? Dial 911. Kathy immediately hangs up and says she's not that childish. You got me, game. Also, apparently I have a sick mind for wanting to use the stun gun on grandma. Sue me.

Oh, almost forgot: there's a tape player in the game, so I decided to screw around with that a bit. While you never used the "record" button, you could play, pause, rewind and fast forward normally with it. Most point-and-clicks would just have you play the whole message automatically. I thought that was a nice touch.

The graphics: It looks good for an AGS game. Not the best I've seen (that probably belongs to Technobabylon,) but competent with lots of good facial-expression sprites. My one major complaint is that the game was set in 1995 (a lot of point-and-clicks have to be set earlier to prevent the problem of just solving everything using a smartphone,) but apart from the dorm room full of 90s movie posters, and a couple of early-looking computer systems, nothing really said "90s" to me. Possibly because of the small-town nothing-ever-changes vibe, but there was very little to differentiate it from any other time period. The Samaritan Paradox LOOKED like the early 1980s, for example, especially in the clothing and decor. Maybe just a piece of advice if there's a sequel: immerse me!

The dialogue and voice acting: The smartest decision the developer made for this game was to hire Dave Gilbert from Wadjet Eye to do the voice direction. The voice acting in this was great. It was believable. The actors sounded like they understood the context of the script. Sweet old lady sounds like an old lady, kid sounds a kid and not like a middle-aged woman trying to sound like a kid, and so on. The second smartest decision was to have a translator AND a proofreader for each language (I assume from Swedish.) I detected zero jank. Very well done.

The length: My Steam profile says 6.2 hours, but there was some jerking around looking to get all the achievements as well as alt-tabbing and doing other stuff, so it might be more like 5 1/2 hours. Still a respectable length for a story that doesn't overstay its welcome.

The verdict: While I would have preferred it more puzzly, Kathy Rain is a great little adventure and a terrific job for a solo developer's first game. I for one would like to see Kathy (and especially Eileen) have some more adventures. If you've got three bucks left over from your Steam sale budget, just plunk them down on this puppy and thank me later.
Nice review! I've been quietly wondering about this game forever. The lack of a direct Wadjet Eye connection (I didn't know about the voice direction) always made me wary about it for some reason, particularly when it looked so similar.

I think I'll finally get it... next sale!

Anno

Two hours left. As someone who owns Divinity: Original Sin and has played only about 10 hours of it, and has kickstarted Divinity OS 2 ... should I cough up the $18 for Pillars of Eternity?

Hmm...

I'm thinking, given just picking up Xanadu and Total War Warhammer, and having 25 games installed that I need to work through... I can wait for the winter sale (or even next summer) for PoE.

Unless it's the be-all and end-all and I should play that before I waste my time on anything else.

Pillars is my favorite RPG in many years so I'm always down to recommend it if you enjoy the genre or just want to give it a try as I think it's a great introductory game. And if you do enjoy it then you'll have a saved game ready to go for when the sequel launches early next year barring any delay.

Gravidee

I'm eyeing Transistor right now, but is it better to get it now for PC or wait for a PSN sale? Cause I'm wondering if it would be better to play on a TV with a controller.

Uzzy

I'm eyeing Transistor right now, but is it better to get it now for PC or wait for a PSN sale? Cause I'm wondering if it would be better to play on a TV with a controller.

Leaving aside the fact you can play on a TV with a controller on PC, you should buy it on whatever. It's an incredible game.

If you purchase the Soundtrack DLC you can also get a FLAC version of the soundtrack by emailing proof of purchase to Supergiant Games store.

Wok

More Badass found this:
ZX5x59e.png

Grief.exe

I like checking out Friend Activity at the end of sales periods. See people frequently pick up niche games as the timer runs out, might see something interesting you missed.

Paragon

think this sale (probably previous ones also but this one in particular because of how the year has been for me gaming wise) has finally solified the idea that at this moment in my life... actually buying games full price day 1 is the way to go.
I think the problem a lot of people have is that they buy games on sale just because it's a good deal, and not because they have any intention of playing them.
I picked up the remaining Wadjet Eye adventure games that I haven't played yet because I've enjoyed every one so far and intend to play the rest within the next few months.
It's also unlikely that the price will ever drop lower than their current 75% discount.
I picked up Hollow Knight because that's the next game I will be playing right after I finish something else.
That and a couple of other puzzle/adventure games was it.
Less than $25 total - the majority of which was paid for with that Paypal deal combined with Steam Wallet funds made from selling cards.

Spending hundreds of dollars just seems irresponsible to me.
Unless those people stop buying games for the next few years, it's unlikely that they will get through all of those games - and many of them will probably be available for less before they have even started playing them.

I'll buy games day 1 if it looks worthwhile and I actually intend on playing them right away, but I do shop around instead of buying directly on Steam.
The sales are really the only time I buy anything directly on Steam, and even then you can often get better deals elsewhere now.

Hollow Knight doesn't seem to do well with controllers that aren't 360/ Xbone. Would have preferred to play it on a controller with a better d-pad.
Bring up the Big Picture controller options and enable Steam Input for whatever controller you're using.
Then every game will see the controller as an XInput device, and you will have the ability to remap controls as you see fit.

Is Planescape Torment EE worth it for someone who has the original game modded with QoL improvements and added quests/content?
Probably not if it runs well.
I tried everything, but the modded original game just would not run at anything other than a badly stuttering 10-20 FPS at high resolutions for me.
It's worth pointing out that the Enhanced Edition still has scaling issues if your display is higher resolution than 1080p. It won't let you zoom out to a 1:1 view unless you disable zooming entirely.
Game speed is still linked to framerate too, so the game is stuck at 30 FPS unless you want to speed it up. (40/50 FPS are also options)
It's a shame they couldn't at least have made scrolling update at the screen's refresh rate, and animate sprites at a lower speed.

Since nobody answered this before I'll ask again:
How does Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition play @ 4k? Does it play at high resolutions at all? BG2 EE seems to be ok @ 4k widescreen.
I'd be curious to know if this has the same zooming issues as Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition when using resolutions higher than 1080p.
I suspect that it will, as it's probably an issue with the engine rather than one specific game.
The classic versions of Baldur's Gate ran just fine for me on Windows 10 though, since you can use the Baldur's Gate Trilogy mod to play everything in BG2's engine which has an OpenGL renderer rather than using DirectDraw.
That way you can also use environmental audio effects (EAX) via ALchemy, while the Enhanced Editions just stripped them out completely. (ALchemy does not work with PS:T)

I just finished Mankind Divided and it still runs like shit. Something about the game's load screens really stressed my comp; managed to get the game running at a pretty stable 60fps with minor stuttering, but still racked up 10+ CTDs over the course of the game - always when loading a new area.
It's a very CPU and RAM-heavy game, and it doesn't scale up particularly well.
I'm surprised that 8GB RAM is the minimum recommended because it used every bit of free memory when I had 16GB, and could cause multitasking on that PC to slow to a crawl.
Moving from a 4-core/4-thread i5-2500K to an 8-core/16-thread R7-1700X also did very little to improve performance in the worst areas for me despite it appearing to scale well across many threads.
No crashing at all for me though. I think it may be another game which highlights slight instabilities in systems just like id Tech 5 games.

I like RTS game but, do you guys think the Heroes of might and magic bundle is worth it? How is it?
HoMM isn't an RTS, be aware of that. They're turn-based 4X games with a strange combat system.

But like, if you mean the pack with HoMMV and HoMM3HD? I'd skip it and get King's Bounty: Crossworlds instead. (It's a great price right now!) Crossworlds is just a lot more fun and, at least in the singleplayer, waaay better designed vs. HoMMV. And while I haven't played HoMM3, the HD version doesn't have the expansions which is a pretty big dealbreaker in my book.

Now, HoMM3 is apparently very good, so if you want the complete version (of the original release) wait for a sale over on GOG.

kulapik

But all that matters is a Steam key? Because by the time I want to play these games I will forget I own them if they arent on Steam.

Humble Originals are never steam keys until they show up on steam... and even them sometimes they aren't (see battlesloths, though they defend themselves saying "it's a sequel")

I like checking out Friend Activity at the end of sales periods. See people frequently pick up niche games as the timer runs out, might see something interesting you missed.

This doesn't work so well if you only have 12 people in your friends list, especially when the ones who have similar tastes to me I talk to regularly.
Maybe I should throw out a link to my steam profile when the normal steam thread resumes...

D:OS & PoE are both fantastic WRPGs.

But for my money, I enjoyed PoE significantly more.

It's a huge time sink, so if you don't have the time right now you might be best off simply waiting for it to drop even lower.

But either way, don't sleep on it. It's an amazing experience.

Pillars is my favorite RPG in many years so I'm always down to recommend it if you enjoy the genre or just want to give it a try as I think it's a great introductory game. And if you do enjoy it then you'll have a saved game ready to go for when the sequel launches early next year barring any delay.

Thanks for the answers! Definitely not sleeping on it. I have this and Stellaris as #1 and #2 on my wish list, now that I've picked up Total War Warhammer and Xanadu (the previous #1 and #2).

But I do suspect I'll not have much time to dive in on it now, given these new games and what I'm already playing. Plus hours and hours of free time spent playing Overwatch.

So, likely to keep them there at #1 and #2 and see how things look in the winter sale.

HoMM isn't an RTS, be aware of that. They're turn-based 4X games with a strange combat system.

But like, if you mean the pack with HoMMV and HoMM3HD? I'd skip it and get King's Bounty: Crossworlds instead. (It's a great price right now!) Crossworlds is just a lot more fun and, at least in the singleplayer, waaay better designed vs. HoMMV. And while I haven't played HoMM3, the HD version doesn't have the expansions which is a pretty big dealbreaker in my book.

Now, HoMM3 is apparently very good, so if you want the complete version (of the original release) wait for a sale over on GOG.

to add onto this post, HOMM 2, and 3(which is considered the best in the series by fans) aren't on steam (there's a "hd" version of 3 which is severely neutered and you should not buy it). I personally have a soft spot for 2 because I played it as a kid the most and it was one of the first games I saved up and bought myself doing odd jobs etc as a kid. If you're looking to get into the series, buy the complete edition of HOMM3 on GOG and not the shitty hd version on steam.

as for kings bounty, if you can, buy both the the legend and crossworlds. While Crossworlds took everything about the the legendl and made it better, you'll still have a good time with the original (and you can play with how fucking broken mage is). Don't play any of the newer ones though because they are hot garbage

Wok

This doesn't work so well if you only have 12 people in your friends list, especially when the ones who have similar tastes to me I talk to regularly.
Maybe I should throw out a link to my steam profile when the normal steam thread resumes...

Yes, you should. It is really handy to find good deals... or price mistakes.

I have my favorites. One is a lashboy, the other has a dog avatar. They are my "curators" (before it was cool) to discover new games and they might not even know about it.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Decided to spring for the Metro Redux bundle last minute, after the announcement of Metro Exodus and some impressions of Metro 2033 Redux in this thread. This is my final haul:

header.jpg

header.jpg

header.jpg

header.jpg

header.jpg

header.jpg

header.jpg

header.jpg

header.jpg

header.jpg

Easily the most I've spent on a Steam sale yet, but I'm pretty sure this will last me a year and I just won't buy anything in the Fall/Winter sales. With these purchases there are very few things remaining I really want to buy that I don't already own.

Nabs

Don't forget, Xanadu Next is still on sale for $9.99. It's from that 2 year period (04-06) where Falcom was knocking out classic after classic. It's a great Action RPG with fantastic level/world design and classic Falcom combat. Highly recommended.

Last minute purchase:

Hexcells Complete Pack

Some of you suggested it and it looks pretty cool. Thanks, guys!

That's a great pick up. Just know that Hexcells 1 teaches you the ropes and Hexcells Plus throws you in the deep end. So good.

Paint it Back is another great puzzle game I have to recommend to anyone in the market.

Anteater

Don't forget, Xanadu Next is still on sale for $9.99. It's from that 2 year period (04-06) where Falcom was knocking out classic after classic. It's a great Action RPG with fantastic level/world design and classic Falcom combat. Highly recommended.

i bought it, is the steam controller the best way to play this? I heard it requires a mouse or something even if it has controller support

bbd23

just remembered I got the first episode of revelations 2 from that capcom bundle so activated that and just bought the rest of the episodes. helped that I had some card money to use.

thanks for the opinions!

Nabs

i bought it, is the steam controller the best way to play this? I heard it requires a mouse or something even if it has controller support

The Steam Controller should be great. I played it with the DS4 (w/ mouse on the right stick and Left/Right click on the Triggers) using the Steam Configurator. I highly recommend using Steam to configure your controller no matter how you decide to play it.

Pachimari

I can't decide if I should get the Disney Infinity trilogy pack. I'm just wondering if it'll be there at the winter sale or if they'll remove those games, maybe during the New Year.

Pachimari

Oh well, ended up only buying Virginia + Soundtrack this summer sale.

I think that's the least I've ever bought during a sales. I finally proved to myself that I got some level of self-control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom