• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Universe (beta) videos, impressions

The Steam Machine unboxing thread has gone beyond a simple unboxing video at this point. We already have multiple videos from those who got their package early and more impressions keep on coming, so figured I'd collect what we have so far in this thread. I'm not going to post every new YT link in the OP, because god knows how many vids there will be. Just going to post the channel/playlist and make notes like Updated with Half-Life 3 Alpha impression. If anyone finds something interesting either on YT, Steam forums, Steam groups, or reddit or whatever, just post them.

If you're mostly curious about the In-home Streaming feature then check out this thread. First batch of invites has been sent out.

Note: Not everyone has their YT vids properly sorted, or has playlists for the different type of vids, so sometimes you have to search for the Steam stuff. Should be easy to find though. I'm also posting developer impressions once I find any. If anyone thinks that deserves it's own thread, go ahead. After SDD there should be more out in the wild.

1. Pictures
  2. Gaffer impressions:
  3. (mostly) Videos by other tester:
    • Corey Nelson: 11 vids; updated with Steam Machine BenchMark Serious Sam 3 Windows vs SteamOS
    • droobie21: 17 vids; updated with Steam Machine + Steam In-Home Streaming beta bonanza
    • Brandon Bentley: 4 vids; updated with SteamOS boot fails after latest update
    • Endogaming: 12 vids; updated with In Home Streaming Batman Arkham City and more. 802.11ac wifi SteamOS AC1600
    • Justin Blaske: 4 vids; updated with Steam Controller Frustrations
    • eloy.silva: 5 vids; updated with Half life 2 Episode One with the steam controller
    • Evan McLaughlin: 10 vids; updated with Steam Controller Gameplay - FEZ!
    • dbandola: 5 vids; updated with Steam Machine- In-home Streaming w/Deadpool
    • Andy Vasquez: 7 vids; updated with Steam Game Streaming (Part 2)
    • Erik Cameron: 8 vids; updated with Battlefield 4... On Steambox!?!?! Wut.
    • BytePlay: 7 vids; updated with Steam Controller vs. 360 Controller, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (with Steam Machine)
    • Jimo: 7 vids; updated with Steam Controller: Outer Ring Modifier; His blog - updated with Closing Thoughts on the Prototype Steam Hardware Beta
    • Jessica Janiuk: Review of the Steam Machine and Controller
  4. Developer impressions:

General impressions (focusing mostly on the controller) from Steam groups so far (not going to quote any said:

---

Also, please keep posts like "what's the point?", "who is this for?", "this will never be mainstream!", "why would I replace Windows/my controller for these?" etc out of this thread. It has been explained multiple times already, in every Steam Universe thread. If you still don't get it, that's your fault. Let's not derail it like every other thread, it has been going on in circles and it's tiresome. Let's move on.

Dr Dogg

Interesting some of the issues people are experiencing with the controller (trackpads and sensitivity and what not). Though sounds an easy resolution going forward with settings or driver support. Funnily no one has highlighted any of the reservations I have with the lack of buttons easily accessible to the thumbs.

Should be fine for focused titles and more shoulder button centric games (shooters and racers) but something like a DMC or Street Fighter I think it's really going to suffer. Considering most legacy title expect an analog stick either side and 4 buttons to the right I'd love to see some impressions on how it holds up in older stuff (then I can finally bin my dying 360 pad). Though maybe the underside buttons (what are they called? Left palm? Right claw?) might be a perfect replacement. They seam like ideal gear shifters in racing games.

Funnily no one has highlighted any of the reservations I have with the lack of buttons easily accessible to the thumbs.

If you mean face buttons, then the trackpads themselves can be that. This has been designed so you don't have to lift your thumb when doing in-game stuff. Use outer rim for modifiers, double tap for jump, click for use etc

Nzyme32

If you mean face buttons, then the trackpads themselves can be that. This has been designed so you don't have to lift your thumb when doing in-game stuff. Use outer rim for modifiers, double tap for jump, click for use etc

I've yet to see any games that use segmentation of the right touchpad, that could be interesting to see and understand whether it is indeed usable. There's only the Spelunk impressions that come to mind, and although there were grievances, it sounded like a promising start

Edit - Heres a vid of HL2 Deathmatch but towards the end he looks at customising the left pad and how custom binding and segmentation work

Tobor

I couldn't care less about the Steam Controller mimicking game pads for fighting games. Those games will already have Gamepad support.

I want to be able to play Kb/mouse games with no built in controller support. My gaming PC is running on my HDTV and I'm tired of having to wonder if every new game on Steam has controller support. I'd also like to go back and play older games that obviously have no support.

The Steam Controller to me is freedom to finally play anything in the living room.

Dr Dogg

Huh, didn't know that. Cheers. Though does still sound less than ideal for a small section of games, especially those with long and varied input strings. Still that's why these are out in the field and prototypes. While there hasn't been any good reviews there hasn't been any bad ones either.

To be fair though control schemes have hardly innovated in the last 20 or so years. If the Steam Controller lets you play a RTS like Company of Heroes, a RPG like Dragon Age, a strategy game like Civ or even something like Papers, Please or Cook, Serve, Delicious! From the comfort of your sofa with the same engagement and fluidity as a keyboard and mouse then the Controller has more than achieved its purpose for me.

Nzyme32

I couldn't care less about the Steam Controller mimicking game pads for fighting games. Those games will already have Gamepad support.

I want to be able to play Kb/mouse games with no built in controller support. My gaming PC is running on my HDTV and I'm tired of having to wonder if every new game on Steam has controller support. I'd also like to go back and play older games that obviously have no support.

The Steam Controller to me is freedom to finally play anything in the living room.

Same. I saw this article (not exactly written brilliantly) that expresses it being natural in Borderlands 2 but not so much in RTS which is worrying

Huh, didn't know that. Cheers. Though does still sound less than ideal for a small section of games, especially those with long and varied input strings. Still that's why these are out in the field and prototypes. While there hasn't been any good reviews there hasn't been any bad ones either.

To be fair though control schemes have hardly innovated in the last 20 or so years. If the Steam Controller lets you play a RTS like Company of Heroes, a RPG like Dragon Age, a strategy game like Civ or even something like Papers, Please or Cook, Serve, Delicious! From the comfort of your sofa with the same engagement and fluidity as a keyboard and mouse then the Controller has more than achieved its purpose for me.

Tommy Refenes talked about it in his blog. For SMB and Spelunky they basically sliced the trackpads up to 4 parts making them as d-pads and face buttons.

And if you watch that HL2 DM vid at 8:00 he starts configuring the trackpads.

And here's Valve's demo of the controller with Civ5 and Papers, Please

I understand your skepticism though. I don't think this will ever come close to kb&m, especially with strategy games or ones with competitive nature. We'll have to see more.

Dr Dogg

Tommy Refenes talked about it in his blog. For SMB and Spelunky they basically sliced the trackpads up to 4 parts making them as d-pads and face buttons.

And if you watch that HL2 DM vid at 8:00 he starts configuring the trackpads.

And here's Valve's demo of the controller with Civ5 and Papers, Please

I understand your skepticism though. I don't think this will ever come close to kb&m, especially with strategy games or ones with competitive nature. We'll have to see more.

Cheers for the links. I've seen the Valve one but not the others.

To be honest the subject of control is a very subjective one. I feel I'll probably be best on just jumping in and seeing how it works for me. Plus it takes about 10,000 actions for your brain to get accustom to muscle memory of a new input.

Though jediyoshi did see some community bindings options in the overlay so like all good PC inputs if you don't like the way something is set up you can fix it. Sounds like the guy in the link Nzyme32 posted only tried out the defaults. Don't know if that due to only having limited access but I'm holding out for some more lived in impressions.

There aren't many community bindings right now, only made by Valve employees, which is natural. But you can see the guy in the vid starts customizing it. Check out the other vids in the OP too btw.

Exactly what I want out of the Steam Controller.

Btw in the other thread Dacvak said he's taking requests on what to play, so think of games you want to see with the controller, that's it if he owns them.

Somebody start making a list of games they want me to try with the Steam controller. I'm definitely going to do some fighters (especially Smash Bros Melee), but I really want to throw as many weird games at this thing as possible.

some games requested so far:

Dark Sould
platformers (SMB, FEZ)
shooters (CS, CoD, Shadow Warrior)
Starbound
DmC
Witcher
Red Orchestra
Torchlight
Minecraft

not sure how Smash Bros Melee or any non-steam fighter will work out though

Yep, that is the point. It will certainly take time to get use to, but the reward will be awesome IMO.

I went from kb/m last gen to DS3 and it took a lot of work for me but I did it. No reason to not pull it off with the Steam Controller. There will be a lot of crybabies about the controller but I guess this is people that are not even interested in the Steam Machine or Controller.

There's bound to be some adjustment period with the controller, it is unlike anything we've seen so far. Personally I can't wait to try it out!

Exactly how I feel, there are solutions for games that require sticks.

Playing Civ V on a huge screen with a controller in my hand sounds just about perfect

I see. I never played it, but with strategy games there's a lot of info on the screen, so figured it might be too crammed, small.

So, what are everyone's first thoughts on what we know so far about SteamOS, Steam Machines and the Steam Controller? Having watched a lot of videos and unboxings, here are mine:

- Valve's Steam Machine enclosure is fantastic, truly superb craftsmanship. I hope it will be available for sale.
- Steam OS is very slick, very console-like in its function. A good thing for the intended market.
- The Steam Controller needs some getting used to. I want to see more videos of various games and I'm very curious to see how fast (if at all) these beta testers will get used to it.

Durante

I'm surprised by the (apparent, I haven't seen one in person) hardware quality of the system itself. I wish I could get consoles in a solid aluminum housing like that.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
When are we going to be able to buy a Steam controller?

Exuro

So, what are everyone's first thoughts on what we know so far about SteamOS, Steam Machines and the Steam Controller? Having watched a lot of videos and unboxings, here are mine:

- Valve's Steam Machine enclosure is fantastic, truly superb craftsmanship. I hope it will be available for sale.
- Steam OS is very slick, very console-like in its function. A good thing for the intended market.
- The Steam Controller needs some getting used to. I want to see more videos of various games and I'm very curious to see how fast (if at all) these beta testers will get used to it.
This in particular. Why don't more companies do builds like this? Having every part in their own enclosure is all sorts of awesome.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I'm surprised by the (apparent, I haven't seen one in person) hardware quality of the system itself. I wish I could get consoles in a solid aluminum housing like that.

The test consoles look pretty slick, I have to admit. My girlfriend wants the box they get delivered in, LOL. I wish I had gotten into the test phase but I'll have to subscribe to this thread instead to get my fix.

I find it both odd and humorous that out of all the next gen consoles, the Steam Machine is the only one that I'm seriously interested in, EVEN THOUGH I already own a more than decent gaming PC.

dsk1210

I wish Valve would do a controller beta.

I am ridiculously excited for this, the machines look beautiful but the controller is the game changer for me.

I think i would use the max dead-zone on the left pad though, it would be nice to be able to rest the thumb dead in the center without activating a key press.

Last Light: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rudjuxDoQ8

I'm going to be going through this game slowly over time to see how my ability to play changes as I get more comfortable with the steam controller.

he says btw he's rather excited about playing slower games, mouse driven games like Civ5, Papers, Please with this. Friend of his tried Prison Architect yesterday and it worked well with it. FTL was alright with it, but needs to get used to it, plus learn the game in the first place.

same guy, from reddit:

I'm finding it very game specific, which is unfortunate. But I'm still enjoying using it for slow, mouse driven games, and surprisingly a few platformers. Rogue Legacy is taking some getting used to, but after I set up my own control scheme for Super Meat Boy, I played it better with a steam controller than I ever had with a 360 controller.

The fact that it takes getting used to, works on some games better than others, and requires a certain degree of customization make it interesting, but not necessarily something I can see taking off.

other guy from reddit:
L4D2 - I found it to be so unintuitive I had to quit out, and even that took massive strife to figure out. ARMA Tactics - Controls were fine, but game was confusing... Dont' Starve - Best experience so far, controller seemed well mapped for the game.

I plan to try Serious Sam and some more L4D2 tonight with it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/1t3r0b/dedicated_steam_machine_beta_testers/

His thread on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/1t22oj/streaming_a_steam_machine_with_a_camera_on_the/

I've played a bit of FTL, and a friend played Prison Architect for a while. Unfortunately, I haven't managed to get the streaming of games from my PC working yet, and Civ 5 is only for PC. (Is that actually working, or does it always end with an authentication error?)

I'll definitely do some videos of Prison Architect and FTL soon, so you can get a general idea of how they play. Based on my limited experience: These are the games where the controller shines. FPS games and platforms I'd probably still prefer playing with the 360 controller I'm used to, but relaxing and playing Civ V on my couch is the my dream for a Steam Machine.

The issue I'm having is that I don't have a place I consistently rest my thumbs. This is an especially large issue with platformers and shooters, where I might want to rest my left thumb somewhere, end up putting it on the left trackpad, and then begin moving.

It's relatively comfortable putting your thumb on the bottom 'X' and 'A' buttons, but it's something that takes a while to get used to.

The issue with using the dead zone is that it's in the center. I'm playing at a slightly awkward angle in my videos, so the controller's horizontal. Usually, it would be at an angle, and having your finger at the center of the concave trackpad isn't a great resting position. I'll try to experiment a bit more with 30% dead zone though and see if I can enjoy resting it there.

raugupatis

Neo Member
My box is still in the mail, currently sitting in San Jose CA. I live in Florida, so I probably won't be getting it today.

Delivery date is stated as N/A. So sad.

Pumped for the whole concept of the steam machine. Console box in size, but full of PC power and can be upgraded ala the PC as well. The only thing I am curious about is the heat generation. Usual PC parts are hot even inside a HAF case, usually getting to 60-65c. Inside a tightly enclosed case like this? Phew.

Steam OS + Mantle API = interesting future for PC.

Then you have the Nvidia G-Sync monitor hitting that sounds legit.

I can actually see Steam Machines replacing desktop PC's if indeed the controller is a serviceable gap between KB/M control and Gamepad comfort. I for one will get one and hok up my 360 / PS4 controller to it from the jump just because I generally play more controller centric games anyway, but will use the steam controller for games really utilizing the mouse like rome total war / minecraft and such.

Hopefully Christmas 2014 I am looking at a row of Steam Machines ranging from 400-1,000$. I would go for the R9 280X + Mantle + SteamOS for potentially godly gaming, next to my PS4 with godly exclusives. Ahhh yes, this gen is going to be good .. good ... GOOD

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm hoping for something much earlier than Christmas 2014. Hopefully CES will have some release dates for a few models from different companies.

I wonder if that supposed lag he felt while SMB was due to the TV? Refenes mentioned in his blog he had to switch to Game mode on Valve's tv to reduce lag. Or maybe he was just imagining it? :p He was doing pretty fine.

raugupatis

Neo Member
did you contact FedEx?

Yeah, Valve actually sent me a first box on Saturday, but cancelled the shipment because it was lacking components. It got as far as Jacksonville (about an hour away from me). Yesterday they sent this new box overnight, and it was originally scheduled to get here today. Now it's just sitting there, and FedEx still says that it's on its way but the delivery date has slipped to N/A.

I'll wait till tomorrow night before I contact Valve to see if they cancelled that shipment too. I'm very patient, as I'm getting free hardware, but it's still a bit of a bummer.

I wonder if that supposed lag he felt while SMB was due to the TV? Refenes mentioned in his blog he had to switch to Game mode on Valve's tv to reduce lag. Or maybe he was just imagining it? :p He was doing pretty fine.

I'll be able to check when I get my system. Just bought a w802a on black Friday, so the TV lag will be negligible.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
LOL. Valve accidentally sent me two Steam Machines.

I'll be shipping one back, obviously, but right now I feel like I won the double jackpot.

raugupatis

Neo Member
LOL. Valve accidentally sent me two Steam Machines.

I'll be shipping one back, obviously, but right now I feel like I won the double jackpot.

Did you actually get both of them? Because they did that to me as well, but cancelled one of the shipments before it actually reached me -- one of the boxes was missing components.

Top Bottom