• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steve Harvey's show about 'What men really think' goes wrong, catcalling & sexism

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
In an event that went for 10 hours (double the scheduled length), 2000 Chicago men and 150 women were invited to the season 4 premiere taping of Steve Harvey's talk show. There was a guest panel of men and the aim was to get some insight from men.

But then according to several in attendance, men in the audience got rowdy, started catcalling women who were on stage, and the word "bitches" was used to describe them. Some audience members say Harvey was permissive of the behavior and Harvey himself used a misguided metaphor classifying women as prey and men as hunters.

Described in the Chicago Tribune and Jezebel (this link is a donotlink.com page, for those concerned with supporting Gawker owned sites).

The male guests were sent an iffy survey found in the article, with questions like:
For women who are hopelessly single, the MOST COMMON reason is…

a. Their attitude/personality

b. Their age

c. Their level of attractiveness

d. They act desperate/thirsty

A male comedian featured at the event, Tim Dunn, described the event on Facebook (included in Jezebel article since the post was deleted):
- Over a hundred women were seated onstage, and when they got up to speak they were catcalled. This resulted in the warm-up comic asking the men to stop catcalling, as the vibe in the room had become “too rapey.”

- When women skyped in to ask Steve for advice, their image was displayed on large screens, which men would either catcall or groan at based on the women’s looks. And like, if you looked at the guys groaning, spending a night with any of these women would be the absolute best night of their lives.

- During a segment about how often men want sex, a young man got up and mentioned that he is sometimes too tired from work to have sex with his girlfriend. He was immediately booed and had homophobic epithets yelled at him.

- During the same segment, a woman got up and described a time when she didn’t want to have sex because she had just finished a tiring road trip. In that time, she was first catcalled, then booed, ending with a man yelling “you haven’t done your duty!” in response to her story.

- To end that segment, Steve said it should be the woman’s decision whether or not to have sex. Only the women onstage, the comedians in our row, and a few other men throughout the theater applauded that statement.

- Finally, the one good part of this day was my friend Bryan Duff spending the whole time pretending to be a caricature of these types of men. Instead of applauding, he would beat his chest. He growled at the camera. Whenever we tried to ask Bryan’s character about his feelings, he would tear up and quietly mention his strained relationship with his dad, but then go right back to being gross. It was incredible. And what happened to Bryan’s disgusting, sexist character? He got a job offer from one of the men around us. Not making this shit up.
This premiere episode will air September 8th as part of Harvey’s “Season of Surprises”; in his original email to Jezebel, Dunn wrote, “The episode itself will likely be edited to look like any other daytime talk show, but something really disgusting happened that day. I think myself, and my male friends had heard of this treatment toward women many times before, but never witnessed it up close like this.”

At one point, Geraldo Rivera and a fellow panelist allegedly blamed the Hollywood rumors of nanny affairs on the married women who hire hot nannies in the first place:
Apparently, during this segment, Rivera said that there is “an epidemic of predatory nannies” in Hollywood—and another panelist made an analogy that compared not keeping cupcakes in your house if you’re going to be tempted by them to wives not hiring hot nannies that their husbands might want to sleep with.

At one point, the women onstage reportedly pushed back on that idea, explaining that—in Duff and Samples’ retelling: “‘This is ridiculous, you guys are telling us we can’t have the best care for our children because you can’t keep it in your pants?’ And the response was like, ‘Yeah, you have to make compromises.’”

8d1e261c3897e132afc6d05e53408aef.gif

Throwing this in because Steve Harvey is sexist hell:

- Finally, the one good part of this day was my friend Bryan Duff spending the whole time pretending to be a caricature of these types of men. Instead of applauding, he would beat his chest. He growled at the camera. Whenever we tried to ask Bryan’s character about his feelings, he would tear up and quietly mention his strained relationship with his dad, but then go right back to being gross. It was incredible. And what happened to Bryan’s disgusting, sexist character? He got a job offer from one of the men around us. Not making this shit up.

ROFL. Hilarious yet completely sad. How do you get this many facepalmers in one room? In a professional environment?

Mordeccai

This show is complete shit. So glad that I don't have to see it anymore, when I was younger at home all my sister would watch is Steve Harvey, Cheaters, and Jerry Springer. My brain almost rotted and putrefied out of my ears during that time.

Really don't understand why this stuff is labeled 'entertainment', it's fucking sad to watch

when you put so many men together with so few women this is expected to happen. I'm sure they got the desired effect.
Which is dudes being shitty to women.

Dryk

I noticed that a lot of things that label themselves as "for men" are just complete poison nowadays

tkscz

when you put so many men together with so few women this is expected to happen. I'm sure they got the desired effect.
Which is dudes being shitty to women.

This. I've seen his show before (comes on at night while at work). It tends to lean toward making men look as shitty as possible. Don't think this show would've been watched if all those men were just sitting there silent. Going to take this with a grain of salt like I do with all of "reality" TV these days.

But...Family feud...damn Steve had no idea he said so much dumb shit.

wait.."why we still got monkeys" originated from him? LOLLLLLLLLl

I'm a little surprised that there are people out there who still don't know about his sexist, misogynistic, homophobic, effemiphobic/gender-policing, anti-atheist, and anti-evolution attitudes...
Harvey is a grade-A douche nozzle.

I've seen the Steve Harvey show and family feud. All this is new to me.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
i hope this means people stop listening to the shit steve harvey says. hes a comedian not a damn life coach

prefaces

i watched some of his show while waiting to see the doctor a few years ago. in one segment he set up some blind dates for a woman that had issues finding a man. all the dates went horribly and the audience and steve laughed at this. then steve and the audience told the woman where she went wrong, to not be so awkward, and to let the men come to her cause she has what they want. to end the show steve had some kid play music on a washing machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom