• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steve Harvey's show about 'What men really think' goes wrong, catcalling & sexism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously though, why DO we still got monkeys? Why didnt they evolve with us? Its not like Jesus was a monkey. And why didnt they mention that in the Bible? Cuz we didnt come from no monkeys, science people.
Y'all moral barometerless having fools. No wonder your wives cheat on you. Cuz you aint got no sense. Y'all need Jesus.

Actually, the "monkeys" meme was from a thread where OP's evo-skeptical friend asked him this question, and so OP asked GAF, having no good rebuttal.

Now, where the friend first heard this phrase, I'm not sure.
Uh, Steve Harvey? What are you talking about

FiggyCal

Banned
This is the same guy who wrote this piece of shit book:

9780062351562.jpg

Sexist as hell.

It was a commercial success though. Even got a movie and a sequel made from it. Maybe there is an audience for "a sexists' guide to being a real woman".

Rayis

Not defending what happened here, but is nobody going to call this out? Is the idea here that masculinity of any form is inherently toxic?
I never said masculinity of any form is toxic, my point was when you gather that many men without a proper balance of female/lgbt presence, it is bound to create a toxic environment for those people.

Air

Banned
Seriously though, why DO we still got monkeys? Why didnt they evolve with us? Its not like Jesus was a monkey. And why didnt they mention that in the Bible? Cuz we didnt come from no monkeys, science people.
Y'all moral barometerless having fools. No wonder your wives cheat on you. Cuz you aint got no sense. Y'all need Jesus.

There was a 4chan thread about was he's talking about if thats what hes talking about.

The earliest I've seen it was on a thread dedicated to Steve Harvey a few years ago. Surprised no one remembers this

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I never said masculinity of any form is toxic, my point was when you gather that many men without a proper balance of female/lgbt presence, it is bound to create a toxic environment for those people.

So then you think men are inherently hostile to women or lgbt unless they are being watched?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
while these people are probably shit the rush to outrage is just as stupid

- When women skyped in to ask Steve for advice, their image was displayed on large screens, which men would either catcall or groan at based on the women’s looks. And like, if you looked at the guys groaning, spending a night with any of these women would be the absolute best night of their lives.[/quote]
omg just because they don't conform to ah...something something images and society.

the internet outrage circle is part of the idiocy, it isn't above it.

sounds like idiots got in on reality tv and bullshit generated from there.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Aww man, I really like the new Family Feud. Kinda wish I didn't know all this about him now. :/

He should just stick to reacting overly dramatic to sexual answers on a game show. That's what he's best at.

He's a snake oil salesman who got utterly destroyed by Katt Williams. I am ashamed I grew up watching his tv show.

Because Katt Williams is a shining beacon of intelligence.

while these people are probably shit the rush to outrage is just as stupid

"When women skyped in to ask Steve for advice, their image was displayed on large screens, which men would either catcall or groan at based on the women’s looks. And like, if you looked at the guys groaning, spending a night with any of these women would be the absolute best night of their lives."
omg just because they don't conform to ah...something something images and society.

the internet outrage circle is part of the idiocy, it isn't above it.

sounds like idiots got in on reality tv and bullshit generated from there.

So, this being news is as stupid as what went down at the event? Talk about a false equivalence. You already call these people being shit, so why you got a beef with people outraged at this? What I'm coming away from your comment is it would have been better if an event involving 2000 men and 150 women where men were openly hostile and sexist shouldn't have made people outraged and maybe even ignored.

Rayis

So then you think men are inherently hostile to women or lgbt unless they are being watched?

Not inherently but there is pressure from other men to act as "masculine" as each other in order to be accepted as one of the "guys"
A lot of the times with the attitudes demonstrated by Steve Harvey's audience, like for example, the guy who was ridiculed because he said he was sometimes too tired to have sex with his girlfriend.
There was no reason to ridicule him or use homophobic language to describe him but it is seen as "unmanly" to not always want sex from a woman hence the negative reaction.

It is not inherent in men to act this way but it is the unfortunate way masculine culture has developed in some parts of the world that causes these unsavory attitudes.

Man, what a piece of shit. The stuff he says is so bad that it is causing me to question Jerry Seinfeld's decision to have him on his cars and Coffee show.

aeolist

Banned
So, this being news is as stupid as what went down at the event? Talk about a false equivalence. You already call these people being shit, so why you got a beef with people outraged at this? What I'm coming away from your comment is it would have been better if an event involving 2000 men and 150 women where men were openly hostile and sexist shouldn't have made people outraged and maybe even ignored.

anti-outrage culture outrage is ruining online discourse

Does it get as equally toxic when you gather a large amount of women together without any lgbt or male presence?

Kimawolf

It was a commercial success though. Even got a movie and a sequel made from it. Maybe there is an audience for "a sexists' guide to being a real woman".

Yeah it was a success, the movies were as well. Steve Harvey is a guy which main stream black America likes, and seems to be able to identify with. I enjoyed the movies (went on dates to see them), but the book is pretty bad.

So how are you going to convince the large majority of people who like him that they shouldnt? or are wrong about their viewpoints? How will you convince them (not you in particular Figgycal) that its not just more white people and "uppity black people" hatin on another black man's success?

And btw ya I can't stand his TV show, and his advice has far too much "god" in it for me.

HardRojo

Well this was eye-opening, I used to enjoy watching his clips from Family Feud but damn! Little did I know about his beliefs and opinions. What a shame, really.

Shaneus

Wow. I knew he was dumb, but this video is just brutally hilarious. If you could weaponize stupidity this would make a nuclear bomb look like a firecracker.
I need to keep a copy of this phrase, it's goddamned amazing and the best thing to come out of this thread.

riotous

Banned
He oozes creepy on Family Feud. I don't mean in a sexual way; you can just tell he's all about stereotypes and patriarchal BS the way he addresses men vs. women.

Bleepey

Is there something wrong w/the nanny comment? It sounds like good advice when dealing with a celeb husband or a husband you know is a dog. I know a former nanny that hooked up with and married the husband, lol she made sure her current nanny was a lady in her 60s.

Steve's views are abhorrent and dumb, he's valid in comedy only and shouldn't be consumed outside of that vacuum. I though why we still got monkeys was a GAF created meme and was floored when I heard it from him. LOL he wouldn't even know how to talk to an atheist, what a moron.

I know a woman who said she made sure her nanny was old and fat. She didn't want a fox in the hen house.

Sadly women go for gross men like that, instead of going after nice guys like me. Instead I'm just a shoulder for them to cry on when they bitch about what a gross sexist fuck their thirteenth lowlife boyfriend is. Maybe one day they'll realize what they missed out on, because there's zero chance I'll take the sloppy seconds of these douchebros after they move on to some younger chick.

Sadly women go for gross men like that, instead of going after nice guys like me. Instead I'm just a shoulder for them to cry on when they bitch about what a gross sexist fuck their thirteenth lowlife boyfriend is. Maybe one day they'll realize what they missed out on, because there's zero chance I'll take the sloppy seconds of these douchebros after they move on to some younger chick.

I don't know guys, my sarcasm meter needle is right in the middle on this one. Gamergate has made it impossible for me to tell.

Harvey is gross. He definitely appeals the the old southern conservative members of my family. These attitudes die hard.

Fuck Steve Harvey. Why is this guy on tv again? Anyone can do what he does anyway.
It can be simultaneously true that A) Steve Harvey is a piece of shit human, and B) Steve Harvey is by far the best Family Feud host since Dawson. In fact I really don't see how anyone could dispute either one.

Steve Harvey: This is how men think.
Guy: Wait, I'm a man and I don't think like that.
Steve Harvey: Well if you don't think like this, then you aren't a real man.

QED.
No true caveman.

hiryu64

Fuck Steve Harvey.
Fuck machismo and its tacit acceptance by men and women alike.
Fuck people who think shit like what was on display here is okay.
Fuck gender policing and all who would ever partake in it.
Fuck backwards-ass patriarchal bullshit notions like all men want sex all the time.
Fuck people who think men and masculinity are inherently above women and femininity.
Fuck people who think I'm less of a man because I don't subscribe to the traditional notions of masculinity and am somehow a worse person for it.
Fuck people who think being gay or queer or trans or ace is inherently a bad thing.
Fuck anyone who thinks that they know anything about me or how I think and feel just because I'm a man.
Fuck anyone who would use their faith to enforce and inflict these sick patriarchal values upon our society.
Fuck Steve Harvey.

But goddammit, Family Feud is boring as shit without him.

Fuck Steve Harvey.
Fuck machismo and its tacit acceptance by men and women alike.
Fuck people who think shit like what was on display here is okay.
Fuck gender policing and all who would ever partake in it.
Fuck backwards-ass patriarchal bullshit notions like all men want sex all the time.
Fuck people who think men and masculinity are inherently above women and femininity.
Fuck people who think I'm less of a man because I don't subscribe to the traditional notions of masculinity and am somehow a worse person for it.
Fuck people who think being gay or queer or trans or ace is inherently a bad thing.
Fuck anyone who thinks that they know anything about me or how I think and feel just because I'm a man.
Fuck anyone who would use their faith to enforce and inflict these sick patriarchal values upon our society.
Fuck Steve Harvey.

But goddammit, Family Feud is boring as shit without him.

Fuck.

Slayven

6 minutes into the goddamn show and a woman stands up and immediately gets catcalled. shocked they didn't edit it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom