• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steve Harvey's show about 'What men really think' goes wrong, catcalling & sexism

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What's wrong with any of these quotes

Are you serious?

"One of the biggest misconceptions that a woman has is that a man has to accept her the way she is. No, we don't. I don't know who told you that. We like the bright and shiny. If you stop wearing the makeup, stop putting on nail polish, stop wearing high heels, you'll lose us."

"Wear makeup to the point of where we don't see the real-you-without-makeup-on. You sleeping with us in the same bed after sex? The fuck is that, get yo' ass up and gussy yourself up for us
bitch
."?

Paraphrased. You could also throw in: "Oh, but you don't really look good without that make-up on? Suddenly I don't love you anymore. *divorce papers*"

The sad thing is this is not far from reality. I'm not even a woman but, even I feel afraid now. Is this what women face every single day?

Alucrid

Banned
Who could ever think that a room full of men who need a talk show hosted by Steve Harvey to properly communicate would act like this

Alucard

Banned
This is the same guy who wrote this piece of shit book:

9780062351562.jpg

Sexist as hell.

You can't have that kind of raw panel without good moderation. And why was the ratio so lopsided? That kind of advantage will just promote shouting down and group boorish behavior.

Could have been a genuine learning experience, instead you got a comedy hour.

Are you serious?

"Wear makeup to the point of where we don't see the real-you-without-makeup-on. You sleeping with us in the same bed after sex? The fuck is that, get yo' ass up and gussy yourself up for us
bitch
."?

Paraphrased. You could also throw in: "Oh, but you don't really look good without that make-up on? Suddenly I don't love you anymore. *divorce papers*"

What he said is true, we don't expect it every day or all day. It's the same for women, they want us to shave and visit the barbershop. Some want manicured hands and pedicured feet. I myself am a foot man, a woman feet got to be right or we'll have a problem.

aeolist

Banned
What he said is true, we don't expect it every day or all day. It's the same for women, they want us to shave and visit the barbershop. Some want manicured hands and pedicured feet. I myself am a foot man, a woman feet got to be right or we'll have a problem.

there's conveying personal preference and there's sounding like a predatory and possessive asshole

harvey is the latter

I'm with him with the big bang theory and evolution....and his relationship advice is legit, seriously.

Needing to believe in God or something like it is debatable though.

bamono

Neo Member
Why does he consider himself an authority on relationships and gender roles? Did I miss a degree or any kind of study?

This doesn't sound like it 'went wrong'. It sounds like it went exactly as expected given the hosts, panelists, topics and a live audience of 2000 average men off the street.

Newline

I'm embarrased that i've actually been in the audience of the steve harvey show. Honestly it was one of the most surreal moments of my life. Even in the episode I watched he came across as a bigoted sexist. All the questions were based around how women could keep their man from leaving, instilling even more sexist gender stereotypes in the process. Rather than addressing the fact than woman shouldn't put up with these type of men!

Edit: Found a clip of the show I went to see.

Steve Harvey has been pimping antiquated views and representing a large segment of old black people for quite some time. Ugly homophobia, ridiculous views on atheism, religion as a crutch, women as property, etc. It's disgusting shit, usually firmly rooted in Christian views, and is rather common place.

injurai

Banned
Steve Harvey has been pimping antiquated views and representing a large segment of old black people for quite some time. Ugly homophobia, ridiculous views on atheism, religion as a crutch, women as property, etc. It's disgusting shit, usually firmly rooted in Christian views, and is rather common place.

Yup, a skeevy dude all around.

I am increasingly convinced that the only thing stopping a lot of men from acting like complete animals is the social contract.

The second they feel they're free from that contract or in a space where they won't be judged for acting against it, they'll get down to base instinct so fast.

no, cause I don't think we came from monkeys

It's fine to not think we came from monkeys because there is no theory anywhere that claims we do.

If you're alluding to evolution, then you're incredibly misinformed about it and should do at least a minimum amount of research before you start claiming what you believe or don't.

I am increasingly convinced that the only thing stopping a lot of men from acting like complete animals is the social contract.

The second they feel they're free from that contract or in a space where they won't be judged for acting against it, they'll get down to base instinct so fast.

That's humans in general though. Most people don't behave because they want to. They behave because they have to.

ApharmdX

Banned

I'm not so sure that it's just old black people. There's a widespread stereotype of the "black liberal"- fiscally liberal, socially conservative, as the major political alignment of most African-Americans. That stereotype seems grounded in reality:

http://www.pewforum.org/2015/07/29/graphics-slideshow-changing-attitudes-on-gay-marriage/

Less than half of blacks support gay marriage, according to this survey. But it seems like this is changing and hopefully guys like Harvey (who is an enormous piece of shit) will be left out of the loop.

I've found that women are actually more sexual than men but you would never guess it based on the behavior of guys like this. If more men realized this maybe they would tone down on the creepy desperation; all it does is make the women look elsewhere to satisfy their needs.

As for Steve's relationship advice, he's not trying to make his audience be better overall, he's using populist crowd sourcing to push people towards desired outcomes, regardless of the consequences.

"If you want to find a man, get in shape" or "if you want to keep a man interested, don't sleep with him on the first date" are statements steeped in antiquated gender roles, but if you live surrounded by men who accept and expect those roles, it's practicality over progressivenes.

Much the same way that GAF will recommend "get in shape, get a haircut, get a hobby, make the first move", etc, to guys who are struggling with dating. "Be yourself" is only practical advice if people actually find you attractive as you are at that moment. For the rest of us, it takes work.

YoungHav

Banned
LOL @ people taking relationship advice from a dude w/3 divorces. Steve Harvey uses the scientific method when it comes to marriage.

I am still in tears over "I wouldn't even know how to talk to an atheist, I'd just walk away".

hbkdx12

Didnt it sell like a bajillion copies though?

It did. Got it's own movie and everything.The amount of people who ate that shit up boggles my mind each and every day.

Every time someone references something Steve Harvey said about a relationship or how to engage in one i always ask what merit does this man have that makes his word any more compelling than anyone elses.

This dude was a raunchy comedian and suddenly shaves his head and magically becomes a relationship guru? Fuck outta here.

And that compilation video is just ridiculous.

Dude is up there with 50 shades of Grey in terms of things that supposedly speak to and represent a culture that they shed light on all the while completely fucking it up and doing it a huge disservice. Yet, somehow, in both cases you have people that graciously eat it up like it's the best thing they've ever experienced.

Not even just old black, just old ass people who grew up with in that "the good book" environment.

Homophobia, women, atheist hate, all the checkboxes have been marked.

Opiate

Steve Harvey: This is how men think.
Guy: Wait, I'm a man and I don't think like that.
Steve Harvey: Well if you don't think like this, then you aren't a real man.

QED.

Oh wow. That video is something else. It's amazing that this dude is on TV 9 hours a day. It's not like he tries to hide his views or anything.

xaosslug

i have always wondered how w/ his show + Family Feud + book he somehow became a shining beacon for women, BY women. LOL

the way my aunt talks about him you'd think he was the male Oprah...

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i have always wondered how w/ his show + Family Feud + book he somehow became a shining beacon for women, BY women. LOL

the way my aunt talks about him you'd think he was the male Oprah...

that seems like an apt way of describing him, actually...

Mesousa

Banned
I'm with him with the big bang theory and evolution....and his relationship advice is legit, seriously.

Needing to believe in God or something like it is debatable though.

His relationship advice is shit just so you know. Multiple divorcee wondering why we still have monkeys instead of why he can't keep the women in his life happy.

He's a snake oil salesman who got utterly destroyed by Katt Williams. I am ashamed I grew up watching his tv show.

Jinkies

Actually, the "monkeys" meme was from a thread where OP's evo-skeptical friend asked him this question, and so OP asked GAF, having no good rebuttal.

Now, where the friend first heard this phrase, I'm not sure.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
When you have that much testosterone concentrated in one place, it is bound to intoxicate it all up.

Not defending what happened here, but is nobody going to call this out? Is the idea here that masculinity of any form is inherently toxic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom