• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Spielberg to direct Ready Player One movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choomp

Banned
Aw sheeeet!

Sorry I linked something but it's not showing up?

Cheebo said:
OP oddly left out the source or any details at all.

Here you go:
http://deadline.com/2015/03/ready-pl...os-1201398299/
Ready Player One also marks the director’s return to Warner Bros after a 14-year absence. The last picture he directed there was A.I. Artificial Intelligence in 2001, which the grandmaster Stanley Kubrick had developed there. Before that, it was Empire Of The Sun (1987) and the critically acclaimed The Color Purple (1985). He also produced Gremlins and Goonies in the mid-1980s for the studio. “We are thrilled to welcome Steven back to Warner Bros,” said Greg Silverman, studio president, creative development and worldwide production. “We had an historic series of collaborations in the 1980s and 1990s and have wanted to bring him back for years.”

Cheebo

Banned
OP oddly left out the source or any details at all.

Here you go:
http://deadline.com/2015/03/ready-p...pielberg-ernest-cline-warner-bros-1201398299/
EXCLUSIVE: Steven Spielberg is set to direct Ready Player One, the highly anticipated project based on the popular sci-fi book by Ernest Cline that takes place in a virtual world. What a coup for Warner Bros, which will bring it to the screen along with Village Roadshow. This is expected to be Spielberg’s next movie after The BFG.

The book has a lot of references to actual Spielberg movies. This is going to be very weird and meta with him directing it. Spielberg directing a movie that will have scenes spoofing Spielberg movies. Bizarre.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Exciting news. I liked the book and it could make for a fun movie. I'm totally shocked that Spielberg is going to direct because there's no way in hell this could be a GOOD movie.

strafer

At first I thought it was a movie about Real Player.

Real_logo.svg

Chris R

Can't wait to see what a trimmed down movie looks like. Book had a decent premise but man it needed a good edit.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Whoa that's unexpected.

Didn't think studios had so much faith behind this project.

Have the book in my kindle, will read eventually.

Cheebo

Banned
So now we see how Spielberg does with the art of the remix.

Because that's what this is. Spielberg remixed.
It's Spielberg doing a movie that is basically one big endless reference to 80s Amblin movies. This is just going to be really strange.

If Williams does the score that will be fascinating. since so many of the callbacks in this will be to movies Williams scored.

I am honestly shocked Spielberg feels comfortable directing a movie that will directly spoof Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, E.T., etc and movies he produced like Back to the Future and Gremlins.

Also this is probably the closest we will get to Spielberg directing Star Wars assuming Disney/Lucasfilm ok's the Star Wars material. Again even more bizarre if Williams is scoring this...

Cheebo

Banned
I am now wondering if the main reason Spielberg is doing this is due to all the endless references to his own movies. To essentially direct a weird mash-up/remix of his own movies being his intention here rather than just a odd coincidence.

I don't really know how well the novel would translate to being put on screen, but now with some actual talent on board, I have some hope that they'll be able to make something good out of the film.

Also, Nolan actually "took" Interstellar from Spielberg. So, they both drank the other's milkshake, in a sense. (I hope I'm using that right.)

DaveH

I'm going to be optimistic and assume the film is nothing like the book and simply Spielberg's return to scifi, where even his worst efforts are still pretty watchable.

aku:jiki

Gonna go ahead and assume that this never actually happens. Spielberg seems to sign onto a lot of things that don't end up happening.

WillyFive

I'm going to love watching how Williams has to remix his own themes for a new movie.

Loved when he did it for the Yoda cameo on ET, the Jaws parody in 1941, and of course the various incredible remixes of his OT themes for the Star Wars PT (turning the Sith theme into the Anakin theme and the Gungan victory theme, for example).

Oh, I feel a bit queasy. The book is absolute trash. Offensively boring. Hopefully Spielberg can transform it into something interesting.

Oof, writing that sentence just reminded me that he had a hand in the original Bay Transformers. So... that's not helping my reaction right now.

Cheebo

Banned
Oof, writing that sentence just reminded me that he had a hand in the original Bay Transformers. So... that's not helping my reaction right now.
He was a producer. Spielberg produces sometimes dozens a movie a year. Producing is not at all comparable to the films he directed.

Don't see it happening. He just signed onto the J Law film and has a bunch of others on his 'signed on' back burner which is where I think this will go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom