• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Spielberg to direct Ready Player One movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSqueak

Banned
If every major license holder can agree to play ball, this could be a really fun harmless nostalgia fest. But if they play too hard into the half-assed social commentary, or take the fetishization of 80s culture at face value - it will be unwatchable.

i see this as very unlikely, hell, i don't think they will even be able to acquire Ultraman, Gundam, Mazinger and Godzilla for the final act of the story.

Im pretty sure Sunrise would be pissed at depicting Raideen as being much smaller than Mecha Godzilla Kiryu

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ready Player One is like the Family Guy of science fiction.

Pretty much. Will it be a weird teen focused movie? But they won't get the references, as all the 80s gamers are now 30-40 or older. Or will they modernize it with more American and current characters of some sort?

PSqueak

Banned
Pretty much. Will it be a weird teen focused movie? But they won't get the references, as all the 80s gamers are now 30-40 or older. Or will they modernize it with more American and current characters of some sort?

"And for the first Gate, players have to reenact the entirety of the 2007 classic movie 'Superbad' in Micheal Cera's role as Evan..."

My own pipedream of being allowed to remix Williams' work as the score for the film aside, my one real hope is that the adaptation process manages to keep the basic (ish) premise, and proceeds to rewrite basically everything else.

It's not as if Spielberg hasn't done this previously.

Aurongel

The ideal scenario here would be to keep the premise but trim all the nostalgia pandering from the script and keep it a tight idea-driven film.

Spielberg directing and nostalgia pandering being huge in major films now tells me they probably won't go in that direction.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Spielberg's so much better than this tripe. Hacks like Josh Trank and Max Landis would be perfect for this nostalgia fetish bullshit.

Jacobi

Banned
It is a book for teenagers with some VR themes, a little tiny bit of capitalism critique and with lots of 80s masturbation. Wonder what Spielberg is gonna make of this... Jurassic Park ended up being different to the book as well, so we'll see...

Kadayi

Banned
Terrible book....we'll see how the movie is.

Terrible is an understatement. Every day I eagerly scan tech news site in the hope that someone will have invented a time machine so I can warn my past self to avoid delving into that godawful word turd.

I can't even begin to imagine how shitastic the film adaptation is going to be in all it's saccharine glory, with Spielberg at the helm.

Terrible is an understatement. Every day I eagerly scan tech news site in the hope that someone will have invented a time machine so I can warn my past self to avoid delving into that godawful word turd.

I can't even begin to imagine how shitastic the film adaptation is going to be in all it's saccharine glory, with Spielberg at the helm.
Spielberg is nothing but saccharine with films like A.I, Close Encounters and Munich.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Pacific Rim was good fun, but this is the only way to see Raydeen vs Mechagodzilla on the big screen. Hype!

I still think he won't go forward with it.

It's so bizarre how his and Nolan's names have been all over this project. It doesn't fit either of them

Whoever said josh trank/landis is right. This corny shit seems right in their wheelhouse

Kadayi

Banned
Spielberg is nothing but saccharine with films like A.I, Close Encounters and Munich.

You didn't find the ending of AI sugary with the whole 'David's happiest day' scene?

Sure I know Spielberg gone on record saying that Kubrick intended for the story to advance 2000 years, but I'm not convinced that Kubrick's version bow ties in the way Spielberg rendered it.

Game4life

Banned
You didn't find the ending of AI sugary with the whole 'David's happiest day' scene?

Sure I know Spielberg gone on record saying that Kubrick intended for the story to advance 2000 years, but I'm not convinced that Kubrick's version bow ties in the way Spielberg rendered it.

I dont see how that is a happy ending. It is as bleak an ending as they come. AI is probably top five in Spielberg's portfolio.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

The end of AI is something of a rorschach test, the reading of it says a lot about the viewer.

You can look at it as David willingly rejecting reality and embracing a fabrication. He dives headfirst into an illusion for some semblance of happiness. It's complete self-delusion.

Commodore

I can appreciate RPO for what it is. Here on GAF was the first time I'd heard just how shitastic it is. Almost overtly so. It was a unique take on a dystopian future, with lots of pop culture references told through a VR lens, with a premise/treasure hunt that kept me engaged enough that I wasn't at all disgusted I'd spent the time reading it. A bland main character, and a terrible romance though. It ended up in the realm of that was alright. A light entertaining read. The 80's nostalgia is reaching a threshold I admit, I grew up during that time, so the nods to 80's pop culture had a higher amount of resonance. If you've developed a growing resentment for it, I can see where the disgust comes from its everywhere. Cline's writing isn't the best prose, not by a long shot, but the novel's premise and popularity, especially given recent VR developments like Occulus definitely lent to its appeal. It was clever enough to end up attracting Spielberg who has contributed to the pop culture the novel idealizes. And as someone who adores his films, especially those during the 80's, even,his most saccharine films, I was pretty happy learning he was tackling it. I liked that shit when I was a kid, and I still like that shit as an adult.

Still, the adaptation has to make some decent changes to transition to film, and I hope they've cracked it, but I think it could work. Immediately discounting its possibility seems a bit too rigid, the premise IS pretty damned cool. There isn't many directors that could actually do it, and have it work, but definitively, Spielberg is one of them. I hope he has a blast with the material, deftly navigates some of the dumb stuff in the book, and brings us a solid pop culture scifi adventure.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
the fuck is Spielberg wasting time with this drivel and not directing, like, a good movie for once?

Currygan

Where would we be if someone had said that when he was making Jaws, huh?

your logic clashes with the sad reality painted by Spielberg's many crappy movies since Jaws tho, which counterbalances the rather optimistic conviction this will be a good one

your logic clashes

I was referencing the fact Jaws was also a really shitty book.

Of course he's made some bad films between then and now. He's been making movies non-stop (sometimes twice a year) almost every year since then. You're gonna shin yourself on the couch once or twice there.

Currygan

I was referencing the fact Jaws was also a really shitty book.

Of course he's made some bad films between then and now. He's been making movies non-stop (sometimes twice a year) almost every year since then. You're gonna shin yourself on the couch once or twice there.

yeah I know what you were referring to. I just want another good Indiana Jones, man. Or Tintin 2

whatever happened to Robopocalypse

From what I remember, it looked like the cast and release date was set, and then it was shelved, probably due to the script being too expensive to shoot.

Such a shame, since the book was pretty good and might have given us a truly good Terminator movie.

neoism

Boo.

Out of all the projects on his plate to go forward.

you know the only thing i dislike about steven its not what he directs its that he fucking takes forver to decide... he is really fast director too usually 3 months or less.. most times less.. but he just takes forever to decide....i really would like 20+ more films by him before hes is too old... even though he is almost 70 if not... hope he never retires retires...

you know the only thing i dislike about steven its not what he directs its that he fucking takes forver to decide... he is really fast director too usually 3 months or less.. most times less.. but he just takes forever to decide....i really would like 20+ more films by him before hes is too old... even though he is almost 70 if not... hope he never retires retires...
The fuck?

He doesn't take forever to decide. He just attaches himself to tonnes of projects all the time. He put out 6 films last decade and will have at least that many this decade. Dude is a workhorse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom