• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Spielberg to direct Ready Player One movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spielberg is damn near 70?!? It's sad that we're getting to the point where we have to wonder how many more movies we are gonna get out of him.

Hato-kun

Book was fun, might not work as a movie. I feel like Edgar Wright would do a better job because of his style. Spielberg will fuck it up.

Compsiox

Banned
All the 80s gaming references will be gone except for mainstream titles.

It probably won't talk about 80s tech either.

Prepare for a dumb downed movie where they pretend they know what it means to be a gamer.

I was just thinking about all the references WB managed to get into The Lego Movie. The most important question is whether they can get the rights to the Spiderman mech from... Sony?...

I had really mixed feelings about this book. I mean, it was fun, but there really wasn't much to it. It just seems like Spielberg is above this.

iddqd

The book was fun trash to read over a weekend.
If they get all those rights, might be fun trash at the movies.

Seems "unspielberg" worthy. But I bet his kids were a pain in the butt and made him take it.

Akahige

Oh I must have posted in another thread, so the book is full of film and gaming references to the point of annoyance?

Oh I must have posted in another thread, so the book is full of film and gaming references to the point of annoyance?

Goes way beyond that, the first ten pages are already very bad, but later moments in the story go to a whole new level, basically we need to invent a new word to describe it

i bet he abandons this project. would be cool if he gave it to joe cornish or edgar wright though.

i want spielberg to return to sci-fi but not this.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
He spent several months working on the script and concepts with Jonathan Nolan and Kip Thorne. He was definitely pretty actively involved for a while.

I was referring to Spielberg stealing Ready Player One from Nolan. The only rumor was that Warner Bros was begging Nolan to consider making it, not that Nolan ever had any interest himself.

JB1981

I was referring to Spielberg stealing Ready Player One from Nolan. The only rumor was that Warner Bros was begging Nolan to consider making it, not that Nolan ever had any interest himself.

Now that I think about it you were probably right on both counts lol.

If every major license holder can agree to play ball, this could be a really fun harmless nostalgia fest. But if they play too hard into the half-assed social commentary, or take the fetishization of 80s culture at face value - it will be unwatchable.

Blader

That's disappointing, I was hoping this would be one of those projects Spielberg adds to his plate then never actually does. The book is a total waste of his time and talent.

jtb

Banned
Eh, it's still two films away. Still plenty of time for Spielberg to come to his senses and drop this trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom