• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Spielberg to direct Ready Player One movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off subject...is this a good book?

I am unable to stop stories in any format without finishing them. There have been plenty of movies where 10 minutes in it was clear that I wasn't going to like it, but I still finished them. There are many TV shows where 3 episodes in it's clear that I don't like it, but I keep giving it so many chances that by the time I give up I have seen all the episodes. Same thing goes for books. I may not like it, but I'm gonna not like not finishing it even more.

I stopped reading RPO about a third of the way in and wish I could un-read the third that I did.

neoism

The fuck?

He doesn't take forever to decide. He just attaches himself to tonnes of projects all the time. He put out 6 films last decade and will have at least that many this decade. Dude is a workhorse.

well he does as fast as he directs he could double that per decade if he wanted to...like i said i just want as many films from him as possible before he retires if he ever does or is too old... he is my fav director or all time..

Kadayi

Banned
I can appreciate RPO for what it is. Here on GAF was the first time I'd heard just how shitastic it is. Almost overtly so. It was a unique take on a dystopian future, with lots of pop culture references told through a VR lens, with a premise/treasure hunt that kept me engaged enough that I wasn't at all disgusted I'd spent the time reading it. A bland main character, and a terrible romance though. It ended up in the realm of that was alright. A light entertaining read. The 80's nostalgia is reaching a threshold I admit, I grew up during that time, so the nods to 80's pop culture had a higher amount of resonance. If you've developed a growing resentment for it, I can see where the disgust comes from its everywhere. Cline's writing isn't the best prose, not by a long shot, but the novel's premise and popularity, especially given recent VR developments like Occulus definitely lent to its appeal. It was clever enough to end up attracting Spielberg who has contributed to the pop culture the novel idealizes. And as someone who adores his films, especially those during the 80's, even,his most saccharine films, I was pretty happy learning he was tackling it. I liked that shit when I was a kid, and I still like that shit as an adult.

I grew up in the 80s too. I don't have a problem with the referencing so much as with a Mary Sue protagonist for whom any challenge is in large part met with the phrase 'Fortunately I just so happened to be an expert in...'. Even if you buy into the premise that he's been avidly studying everything about James Halliday for a few years, the notion that he's seemingly an expert in every arena beggars belief given the time frame the story is set within.

Couple that with truly risible 'romance' story line and gross characterization that wouldn't go amiss in an Ikea catalogue and it's hard for me to fathom why people love this beyond the whole nostalgia kick of 'I get that reference'. References alone doesn't qualify something as 5 stars 'greatest book evar' in my mind.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Geez, the book is fun. Every one's a critic. The characterizations themselves of these kids living in what is actually a dark dystopic future of heaped trailers and indentured servitude is more akin to the treatment you'd see in a John Hughes movie, and the ridiculous juxtaposition is kind of the point.

For what is essentially a juvenile fantasy about how your skill at Pac-Man CAN make you the most richest and powerful person in the world, I found it creative, and good fun.

I'm glad to see Spielberg's name attached because it brings with it hope that the licensing can be worked out, and the full scope of the brand-trivia-consciousness of the mindset of the story's artificially-preserved-era is conveyed in its pure original form.

Also, Raydeen vs. Mechagodzilla.

well he does as fast as he directs he could double that per decade if he wanted to...like i said i just want as many films from him as possible before he retires if he ever does or is too old... he is my fav director or all time..
No he couldn't. Dude develops the project in pre until they're shoot-ready. The reason Robopocalypse was delayed wasn't bullshit budget issues. It was that the script was apparently undercooked.

Kadayi

Banned
Geez, the book is fun. Every one's a critic.

Fun for you perhaps, less so myself and a few others in this thread. Dude a few posts above asked for an assessment of the book.He got one.

The characterizations themselves of these kids living in what is actually a dark dystopic future of heaped trailers and indentured servitude is more akin to the treatment you'd see in a John Hughes movie, and the ridiculous juxtaposition is kind of the point.

I think you're reaching, but I'm all ears if you'd care to elaborate as length.

Kirlia

Banned
Geez, the book is fun. Every one's a critic. The characterizations themselves of these kids living in what is actually a dark dystopic future of heaped trailers and indentured servitude is more akin to the treatment you'd see in a John Hughes movie, and the ridiculous juxtaposition is kind of the point.

For what is essentially a juvenile fantasy about how your skill at Pac-Man CAN make you the most richest and powerful person in the world, I found it creative, and good fun.

I'm glad to see Spielberg's name attached because it brings with it hope that the licensing can be worked out, and the full scope of the brand-trivia-consciousness of the mindset of the story's artificially-preserved-era is conveyed in its pure original form.

Also, Raydeen vs. Mechagodzilla.

Don't even try to argue in favor of Ready Player One here. If there's one thing that most of NeoGAF agrees on, it's that this book is one of the worst things ever published. I found it a fun read, although there were certainly aspects of it I really didn't like (like the cliche "elite female gamer that the protagonist has a crush on" shtick). Still, far from the worst piece of literature ever written.

Armada, though...that one doesn't sound promising. :(

SteveWD40

The premise of the book was great, the issue was the dialogue, with a good script written by anyone but Cline this could actually be good.

Lokimaru

I think people on GAF hate RPO and now Armada cause they hit to close to home and they wonder Why couldn't I write that. Cline is doing what they want to do and it Kills them. So his characters are Marty Stu's, So is Tarzan, Conan and Sherlock Holmes. Guys like Percy Jackson and Harry Potter tend to get paired up with the smartest person at School/Camp. How is that any different. Hell my favorite TV character Micheal Knight is Marty Stu as Fuck. I don't see the need for hate. I don't read Fiction to end up depressed afterwards, I got the real world for that.

Kin5290

I think people on GAF hate RPO and now Armada cause they hit to close to home and they wonder Why couldn't I write that. Cline is doing what they want to do and it Kills them. So his characters are Marty Stu's, So is Tarzan, Conan and Sherlock Holmes. Guys like Percy Jackson and Harry Potter tend to get paired up with the smartest person at School/Camp. How is that any different. Hell my favorite TV character Micheal Knight is Marty Stu as Fuck. I don't see the need for hate. I don't read Fiction to end up depressed afterwards, I got the real world for that.
Is it really too hard to believe that many people might not enjoy reading a poorly written, mastubatory self-insert fantasy with minimal plot or stakes? Especially when that work might actively rip off countless, far superior existing works and then excuses that plagiarism as "referencing".

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Armada said:
“My Terra Firma ranking is too abysmal to say out loud,” I said, laying on the false modesty with a trowel. “But in the Armada rankings I'm currently sixth.”

Her eyes widened, and she swiveled her head around to stare at me.

“Sixth place?” she repeated. “In the world? No bullshit?”

I crossed my heart, but did not hope to die.

“That's some serious bill-paying skillage,” she said. “Color me impressed, Zack-Zack Lightman.”

“Color me flattered, Miss Larkin,” I replied.
Yes, I really wish I could've wrote this. It must be nice living in my own personal fantasy world devoid of all literary standards that I would think this is acceptable dialogue and worth publishing. I would probably be the happiest person ever, blissfully immersed in a sea of 80s nostalgia in perpetuity.

Look at this amazingly topical reference to the modern gaming landscape. I'm sure Ernest Cline's masterful prose strikes a resonant chord with the young adults of today.

Armada said:
Arbogast had then assembled a dream team of creative consultants and contractors to help make his bold claim a reality, luring some of the videogame industry’s brightest stars away from their own companies and projects, with the sole promise of collaborating on his groundbreaking new MMOs. That was how gaming legends like Chris Roberts, Richard Garriott, Hidetaka Miyazaki, Gabe Newell, and Shigeru Miyamoto had all wound up as consultants on both Terra Firma and Armada— along with several big Hollywood filmmakers, including James Cameron, who had contributed to the EDA’s realistic ship and mech designs, and Peter Jackson, whose Weta Workshop had rendered all of the in-game cinematics.

Chaos Terrain had created its own custom games engine for both Terra Firma and Armada, using many of the same programmers who had worked on previous combat-simulation game series like Battlefield, Call of Duty, and Modern Warfare, and on existing aerial and space combat simulators like Star Citizen, Elite: Dangerous, and EVE Online.

I think people on GAF hate RPO and now Armada cause they hit to close to home and they wonder Why couldn't I write that.

People who look at RPO and go "Why couldn't I write that" don't exist, because for that to be a thing that happens in your brain you need to not have a brain.

Lokimaru

Yes, I really wish I could've wrote this. It must be nice living in my own personal fantasy world devoid of all literary standards that I would think this is acceptable dialogue and worth publishing. I would probably be the happiest person ever, blissfully immersed in a sea of 80s nostalgia in perpetuity.

Look at this amazingly topical reference to the modern gaming landscape. I'm sure Ernest Cline's masterful prose strikes a resonant chord with the young adults of today.

Dude it's two gamers talking about they're gaming rank while sitting in an ampitheater form the game they are talking about. What would you Talk/Brag about in such a surreal situation?

People who look at RPO and go "Why couldn't I write that" don't exist, because for that to be a thing that happens in your brain you need to not have a brain.

So that's what my problem is.

jond76

Banned
If someone can get all these IPs on screen, it's Spielberg. I thought the book was fine, even if I eye rolled at the stereotypical lead character's personality a bit, specifically the whole "worry not reader, I'm an atheist too!" angle, considering it had no bearing on the story.

Apart from some pandering like that, it was a fun adventure. I did think the third act was rushed though. Should be fun to see on screen.

Kin5290

I don't know what it is that those teenagers are saying these days, but please tell me it isn't fucking "skillage".

Lokimaru

I don't know what it is that those teenagers are saying these days, but please tell me it isn't fucking "skillage".

Is that really that much different then people saying stuff was so funny the shit their pants a few years ago. What about the terms Hella, or Stoked. People say stupid shit all the time, pay it no mind. Now back to the Life and the Hometown. :D

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Dude it's two gamers talking about they're gaming rank while sitting in an ampitheater form the game they are talking about. What would you Talk/Brag about in such a surreal situation?

Yeah I'm no stranger to talking about rank, (what's your MMR bro? 1v1 me mid, so on and so forth) and I would never say "serious bill paying skillage", even if I was chatting it up with Artour "Babyrage" Babaev, who winnings go into six digits. I would talk about the game, the meta, my recent games, who my favorite players and strategies are, my hopes for the future of the game. I know this because I do this on a weekly basis, have been doing it since I was a teenager as well. Surreal? This very situation is happening to hundreds of people right now, and has been a yearly occurrence for half a decade all over the world. This is just yet another area where Cline is hopefully out of touch despite his attempts to appear knowledgable.

Here, I actually wrote up a paragraph about this exact topic.

I don't think Cline knows how pro-gaming works...

This is, in a strange way, the most insulting part. He writes masturbatory fantasies where the best gamers save the world using their gaming skills but he has no idea what goes into being one of these people or how they're perceived or the culture that surrounds them. Even here, his mind is mired firmly in the arcades of the 80s where having your name on the top of a sorted list was supposed to be impressive.

Generally speaking, when authors write characters that engage in a particular subculture, they make some kind of effort to research that subculture. Thus, authors who write about law confer with actual lawyers, authors who write about biological topics confer with biologists, etc. Recent example, Interstellar was made with with an astrophysics consultant. This is because most writers do not have the range of life experiences needed to properly convey every subculture they write about. The same is true for foreign locales and societies.

When writing about obscure topics is done poorly, it is painfully obvious the writer is just making stuff up as they go along and this breaks the flow of the narrative because you, the audience, question whether the writer is actually credible enough to invest in (ethos). That's why writers engage in research for their writing.

Cline, though? He doesn't give a crap. His idea of competitive gaming is the memories of his youth in arcades fossilized in amber and preserved to the present day. This is not writing, at least, it's about as far from good writing as you can get on this front. It would be excusable if it was a) justified through the plot (like for RPO), b) self aware/self parodic, c) some sort of commentary on the relentless grip of nostalgia on modern society, Armada is none of these.

No one would say RPO is great literature, but it was enjoyable to many for understandable reasons. Armada is actually a step back. What made RPO digestible is conspicuously absent from Armada. Instead, references and nostalgia actually further substitute for prose. He does not even bother conveying the emotions of his characters anymore. He just makes references to other, more popular characters, and wager that his readers are in on the joke.

In that moment, I felt like Luke Skywalker surveying a hangar full of A-, Y-, and X-Wing Fighters just before the Battle of Yavin. Or Captain Apollo, climbing into the cockpit of his Viper on the Galactica’s flight deck. Ender Wiggin arriving at Battle School. Or Alex Rogan, clutching his Star League uniform, staring wide-eyed at a hangar full of Gunstars.

And you think people are upset they can't write like this? No, the really upsetting part is that this passes for writing and that it actually sells.

ShowDog

I was suprised to see so many people hating on the book on GAF. I found it to be a page turner and a decent YA novel, absolutely cringeworthy romance aside. The end was kinda bad but whatever.

rec0ded1

I just finished reading it. Had an OK start even though the writing was not great. It had my interest then it went off the rails cringe. The references start out amusing but eventually youll be rolling your eyes constantly. Can't recommend it.

can't forgive the delorean,knight rider,ghostbuster sticker ridden monstrosity

I enjoyed RPO, a fun romp, but my god was ARMADA horrible. Even discounting the horrible writing and characters, it was almost identical to Enders Game which it references many times.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

reminder that the below is the 100% full extent of her characterization in the book
- she is a great gamer
- she is curvy* (ctrl+f rubenesque, see how many times cline uses it), but the main character is such a Nice Guy that he doesn't even mind
- she has a birthmark that she's totally sensitive about, but the main character is such a Nice Guy that he doesn't even mind

* great casting, a petite skinny girl.

hey is everyone excited for the fact that half-way through the book the protagonist explains that body hair is too difficult to maintain while playing EverQuest so he has a machine that like chemically burns of his body hair including his eyebrows? very much looking forward to seeing him look like Mr. Clean in the back half of the movie.

Karish

reminder that the below is the 100% full extent of her characterization in the book
- she is a great gamer
- she is curvy* (ctrl+f rubenesque, see how many times cline uses it), but the main character is such a Nice Guy that he doesn't even mind
- she has a birthmark that she's totally sensitive about, but the main character is such a Nice Guy that he doesn't even mind

hey is everyone excited for the fact that half-way through the book the protagonist explains that body hair is too difficult to maintain while playing EverQuest so he has a machine that like chemically burns of his body hair including his eyebrows? very much looking forward to seeing him look like Mr. Clean in the back half of the movie.

Are you aware of the fact that some things might not be in this adaptation?

Tagg9

- she is a great gamer

Surely Olivia Cooke has been cast as Art3mis (ie. her avatar representation in OASIS) and not as the actual human
who will be given all of 30 seconds screen time at the end of the movie
? (Spoiler tags just in case anyone in this thread hasn't read the book.)

I can't recall whether her avatar was actually referred to as rubenesque in OASIS or not. On a side note, there aren't many young female actresses out there at the moment who aren't slim and attractive, so I can't think of anyone offhand that would perfectly fit the role as described in the novel.

Blader

Spielberg confirms Ready Player One will be his old man yells at cloud movie:

Spielberg sees it in his own existence often, when his kids bring friends to the house.

“They socialize for about a half hour, and it gets very quiet,” he says. “I walk into the kitchen and eight or nine girls are sitting around and they’re all looking at their phones, Snapchatting and texting and Twittering and reading. It’s all become so introverted.

“This movie is going to show why it’s interesting not living in the real world but what we’re missing by not,” Spielberg adds. “It’s a cautionary tale but it’s also a big rockin’ adventure movie, too.”

Also, on 80s references:

Spielberg says it's “very trippy” to be an influence on himself in a way, “but I’m not making this movie to remind people of my ‘80s movies. I may leave most of them out!”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...0709313&PID=6159295&SID=ifo4lr0epn00zw4900dth

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm already snoozing through this thing. Still don't get the fascination with the book. Utter drivel.

Maddocks

I loved the book, probably because I loved the time period and references and who doesn't love a good quest adventure. But I fear for the movie, I really don't see how it can capture that feeling of the book. I hope I'm wrong, but I really don't see how we are going to see a mechagodzilla vs ultraman battle take place outside of a castle.

I did not particularly like the book but a movie version with less inner monologue-ing about 80s references may work. It could just be a fun blockbuster. True popcorn entertainment from a master, so I have measured hope.

Jag

RPO was a cute piece of nostalgia. Unfortunately I just finished Armada which was basically bad 80s fan fic.

JeTmAn81

How could anyone ever love such an unattractive woman.

In the book he
falls in love with her without seeing her
so it shouldn't be an issue. The book also gives the impression that she is conventionally pretty in real life. Now if Aech is good-looking, they done messed up.

duckroll

“This movie is going to show why it’s interesting not living in the real world but what we’re missing by not,” Spielberg adds. “It’s a cautionary tale but it’s also a big rockin’ adventure movie, too.”

Sounds like Spielberg should do a Sword Art Online movie next. :p

I just finished the book and enjoyed it, thought I'd take a look at what Gaf thinks and wow... You guys really hated it.

Anyone have a neogaf approved reading list?
I'm looking for a good new scifi to read.

Wow, that second excerpt you shared is cringe inducing. Quite painful to read if I'm being honest. I have no real knowledge of these books or the upcoming adaptation, but yikes if that's real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom