• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Spielberg to direct Ready Player One movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostjoke

Banned
I guess Spielberg is looking for a challenge? If he can turn that nostalgia wankery into something half way decent it'll be impressive.

PSqueak

Banned
I guess Spielberg is looking for a challenge? If he can turn that nostalgia wankery into something half way decent it'll be impressive.

He's already handicapping himself by deciding to remove every single reference to anything he has been attached to from the movie.

A movie about 80's pop culture.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's like Garfield without Garfield.

Ready Player One without the 80s.

diffusionx

Gold Member
RPO is an awful, awful book, but I think there's a good and interesting story in there somewhere. Maybe Spielberg and a bunch of talented people can coax it out.

how many references to his films was in here? god damn I'd be fully on board a Spielberg highlight reel where he's like "look at all the awesome shit i did you all suck ass bow down to greatness"

i imagine there was indiana jones, jaws and ET references?

maybe this is for the best though, i hear this book goes overboard with the pop culture nostalgia.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Steven Spielberg has become so boring and stagnant.

I can't remember the last movie he directed I actually really enjoyed. Saving Private Ryan, maybe?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
how many references to his films was in here? god damn I'd be fully on board a Spielberg highlight reel where he's like "look at all the awesome shit i did you all suck ass bow down to greatness"

i imagine there was indiana jones, jaws and ET references?

maybe this is for the best though, i hear this book goes overboard with the pop culture nostalgia.

There are soooo many references.

3zOwYdv.jpg

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Steven Spielberg has become so boring and stagnant.

I can't remember the last movie he directed I actually really enjoyed. Saving Private Ryan, maybe?

I thought Bridge of Spies was pretty good.

oh wow. i love a good majority of that stuff but that looks like overindulgence for sure.

spielberg was smart to at least cut his own stuff out of the film. oh god i want this to be good because i love spielberg and the cast but if this is a success i can already see all the other self-aware pop culture projects popping up in response.

I_D

What's the with hate on the book? Sure, it's not some life-changing event, but it's a pretty cool, quick-read YA book. It helps get kids interested in reading.

I think if they go for a CGI Tintin-esque look, it could work pretty well.
I just can't imagine how they'll get royalties for all of the references.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
What's the with hate on the book? Sure, it's not some life-changing event, but it's a pretty cool, quick-read YA book. It helps get kids interested in reading.

It is a poorly written 80s self masturbation book.

I only hope the film is better because it really could be great subject matter.

Voror

Goddamn with all these references the book seems obnoxious.

It's a bit overboard with it all yeah. Something that bugged me for some reason was characters randomly quoting lines from stuff like Star Wars like it was the coolest thing ever. I guess it sort of feeds into how this whole generation has developed an obsession with the 80s due to the whole hunt being focused then but still.

vareon

It is a poorly written 80s self masturbation book.

I only hope the film is better because it really could be great subject matter.

Yeah I hope the film goes more than namedropping 80s "references" and make it into actual challenges that's actually exciting. There's a lot of great talent behind this movie and here's a chance to do the premise right.

I just can't imagine how they'll get royalties for all of the references.

You mean rights clearances? Royalties is something else.

So far as clearances go, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. WB owns a lot of movies on that list, they also had to secure the rights for other studio's properties on Lego Movie so its not like they're out of practice, and even if they were, their director is the guy who negotiated Roger Rabbit's myriad appearances.

If Spielberg asks, chances are you'll say yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom