• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT| Truly, Truly, Truly Outrageous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psxphile

Also consider that the DVD just came out. Maybe they pulled re-runs to drive some sales?
I bet that's what it is. Makes sense.

I don't know about you guys, but if they made action figures of the gems I would so buy the crap out of them!

Even just a figurine would be nice.

tumblr_nhaq45PmGE1sk98r7o4_500.png

rexor0717

I'll be buying that DVD to make sure I do my part. I really hope it comes out on bluray tho, this show would look so good in crisp HD.

I'm very torn because I've sworn off of buying DVDs ever since starting my Blu-Ray collection four years ago, but I also really want to support the show. Maybe I'll buy a few copies to give as gifts to friends who aren't familiar with SU.

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member

OMG! Want! That is beautifully done!

I'm very torn because I've sworn off of buying DVDs ever since starting my Blu-Ray collection four years ago, but I also really want to support the show. Maybe I'll buy a few copies to give as gifts to friends who aren't familiar with SU.

Yeah, I bought the show off Amazon to stream because I'm trying to not clutter up my life. I think buying as gifts for friends is a great idea. :)

rexor0717

Uh oh, now Steven is going to go do something stupid. This is one episode that really needs some followup.

Also that Evangelion "Congratulations!" at the end.

rexor0717

I may have actually misinterpreted the ending. I thought Steven was hiding his true feelings about the situation to go off and do something dumb because he was still mad. It seem more likely that he just swallowed his own feelings to make the Crystal Gems feel better about themselves.

Also, part where he went out of the level was one of the most video game feeling things I've seen a show do, if not the most.

Hamlet

Great episode. Pretty heart wrenching the confession from the gems near the end. They really miss Rose. Loved the music when Steven was walking through the levels that last time. Wasn't expecting a Evangelion reference there at the end ha. Burst out laughing at that.

I may have actually misinterpreted the ending. I thought Steven was hiding his true feelings about the situation to go off and do something dumb because he was still mad. It seem more likely that he just swallowed his own feelings to make the Crystal Gems feel better about themselves.

That's how I took it.

Venture

Another really good episode. I love where they're going with Steven. He's shown some real growth and maturity since the lovable goofball in the first few shows.

Psxphile

EvaGemlion: You Can (Not) Re-test

"We're bad at this."

Imagine coming to the realization that your caretakers have NO CLUE how best to raise you? That they're practically making it all up as they go, and that you represent something they never expected and can never completely understand. That they are as lost as you are about how to proceed forward. Now imagine what you would do with that knowledge: would you confront them and confirm their inadequacy? Or would you comfort them instead, and instill the confidence in them to continue being who they are as they are wont to do for you?

Congratulations, Steven.
tumblr_nim4hrzMgG1shyjwdo4_500.gif

On to other things:

-"He lost his healing powers."
I was like WUT. But then I remembered: he couldn't repair the Geode. He fixed his dad's leg but Greg's faking must have messed up Steven pretty bad, to where his innate ability to heal just stopped working. That, or he just never told them he never lost his power to begin with. Which doesn't seem like something Steven would neglect to mention to them.

-Pearl's holographic abstract caricature of Garnet
Seems familiar:

Probably nothing, though.

Can't unsee Garnet as Kuwabara.

KiN0

Also, part where he went out of the level was one of the most video game feeling things I've seen a show do, if not the most.

He definitely swallowed his feelings. But I think he realizes that the gems are just as lost as he is and that making them happy is the best thing he can do for them and himself. I'm sure he's angry at them but he also appreciates the fact that their trying their best to raise him. This reminds me, why doesn't Greg help out more? He was really involved for a few episodes but then disappeared.

ffdgh

A tad late watching this episode but that was rather sweet...and I love how those tests were essentially a mini zelda dungeon especially the fire temple section lol. And of course that congratulations part was hilarious XD.

Steven is a damned goof ball, but every now and again he shows signs of maturity well beyond his years. I saw the ending as:

A. He realized the test was meaningless because they already believed in him

B. He saw an opportunity to boaters the confidence of his guardians child raising abilities.

Probably much like Rose, Steven is a spiritual glue that holds the gems together.

I suppose I should be prepared for it by MLP, but I'm still surprised to already see fanart for the newest episode from another country.

rexor0717

I love that Alexandrite on at the link. Damn, I want to see another big fight in the upcoming episodes. Hopefully the season finale is bonkers.

Hamlet

Rebecca Sugar and others from the Crewniverse recently attended MAGfest and had a Q&A session with fans. They also showed off a sneak peek of episode "On the Run", which was quickly recorded and upped to the internet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orSkSlN4phs

Lovely song and lol at that raccoon.

They also showed off more of the Steven Universe: Attack the Light game at MAGfest.
http://wildemolga.tumblr.com/post/108971688048/a-trailer-for-the-touchpad-game-attack-the

Imagine coming to the realization that your caretakers have NO CLUE how best to raise you? That they're practically making it all up as they go, and that you represent something they never expected and can never completely understand. That they are as lost as you are about how to proceed forward. Now imagine what you would do with that knowledge: would you confront them and confirm their inadequacy? Or would you comfort them instead, and instill the confidence in them to continue being who they are as they are wont to do for you?

... What now? I thought it was normal to have that realization that your parent is simply trying to do their best because they're not an all powerful being that has all the answers.

I don't think he had any negative feels he was swallowing down at the end, I think he was choked up because he see's how much they love him and how hard they're trying .. so he's putting up a front to comfort them. Like how a child may scream and shout and beg for an Andy doll for X-Mas yet when the big reveal happens they see it's a Randy doll for w/e reason and instead of showing disappointment they act like it's the awesome thing they wanted to make their parent feel good.

It's the thought that counts and all that jazz. What Steven wanted was a chance to prove himself and once he discovered how weak the set up was he felt cheated and betrayed. But they don't need that, they already know he's making progressing. They're afraid that what they're doing isn't good enough because, like most parents, they're just trying their best as they wing it.

I think the true test here was something no one in the room knew. Steven's real test was how he would react to not getting what he wanted after seeing how hard they tried and how much they love him. He choose to put their needs infront of what he wanted ... and what they needed was to feel like they were giving him what he needs (and they did just that with out knowing. Seeing how much someone loves you and cares about you is a massive boon).

He may not know it but it's a test he passed with aces and it's a major step in him filling out Roses role as the one who keeps em together/ comforts them.

Amazing episode. I love the character development and steven's reaction at the end. Man, Steven Universe is easily my favorite show on cartoon network right now, the characters are just so interesting and I love the world and the art style.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I swear to God, the way Steven said "It looks like Garnett...turns up the heat!" looked like ready to use for a brand new character introduction in Smash Bros. :lol

Amir0x

Banned
2bBq3V4.png

I'd probably react the same way reading instructions to a game called "Citchen Calamity"

I like how here it's spelled "Citchen Calamity" but the cards all have the "KC" on it, suggesting it's supposed to be spelled the normal Kitchen Calamity way :p

^ Kinda went over that already. Peridot seemed more like a "worker bee" than someone with that kind of stature/power.

I can't really see Peridot as some sort of big bad either (seeing as that's how I interpret the figure on the mural), but I can easily imagine her as a genius bruiser "dragon/Darth Vader" type character.
She seems like she could kick some butt if given the chance, and it seems like she is rather unique seeing as the Crystal Gems have no idea who she is and also seem to have no idea of what she's capable of.

KiN0

I wonder if Lapis will come back as an enemy? She left on friendly terms with Steven, but she still hates the other gems.

On an unrelated note, she didn't seem surprised too surprised that Steven was a gem. I wonder if there are other males?

Psxphile

I can't really see Peridot as some sort of big bad either (seeing as that's how I interpret the figure on the mural), but I can easily imagine her as a genius bruiser "dragon/Darth Vader" type character.
She seems like she could kick some butt if given the character, and it seems like she is rather unique seeing as the Crystal Gems have no idea who she is and also seem to have no idea of what she's capable of.
Kinda hoping they take the 'Hojo' route by presenting her as mostly quirky and nonthreatening but as the plot moves along we start seeing a more sinister side and machinations of an alternate agenda from those of her superiors.

I wonder if Lapis will come back as an enemy? She left on friendly terms with Steven, but she still hates the other gems.
I don't think she'd willingly do anything that could bring harm to Steven after what he did for her, but if other Gems got wind that she knows a half-breed with healing powers exists they could force her to reveal his location. I'd imagine then she'd have to choose between her own people or standing up for Steven, even if it means helping the Crystal Gems.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It did strike me that Peridot's non-human hands suggests that Gems which are not from Earth may be far less bound to imitate the human form. It would be interesting to see the character design open up if otherworld Gems return in number.

As for Lapis, I figure they're setting her up as an anti-villain who may return in the role of an adversary, but will be talked down by Steven who she trusts.

I'm taking that mural as Rose protecting humanity against the leader of the Gem race.

Like someone else said, maybe they set out to colonize planets, but when they reached Earth and Rose met Mr Universe, she grew to love him and saw that humans were worth protecting. So she fought off that Big Bad and destroyed the portal, staying behind to start a life with Mr Universe and eventually becoming pregnant with Steven. The monsters that they fight and bubble are perhaps allies/foes who's gems became broken or corrupt during the battle, which is why Rose bubbles them instead of killing them, as she hoped to return them to their original forms.

I'm taking that mural as Rose protecting humanity against the leader of the Gem race.

Like someone else said, maybe they set out to colonize planets, but when they reached Earth and Rose met Mr Universe, she grew to love him and saw that humans were worth protecting. So she fought off that Big Bad and destroyed the portal, staying behind to start a life with Mr Universe and eventually becoming pregnant with Steven. The monsters that they fight and bubble are perhaps allies/foes who's gems became broken or corrupt during the battle, which is why Rose bubbles them instead of killing them, as she hoped to return them to their original forms.

I think you forgot the picture of the gems hanging out with the pirates on a ship(The hard part was getting the shark to hold its position). They've been on earth a lot longer then Mr. Universe has been alive. Also, I think most, if not all, the places they teleport to are on earth as well some of which suggest gem based civilizations that had been a round for who knows how long.

I think you forgot the picture of the gems hanging out with the pirates on a ship(The hard part was getting the shark to hold its position). They've been on earth a lot longer then Mr. Universe has been alive. Also, I think most, if not all, the places they teleport to are on earth as well some of which suggest gem based civilizations that had been a round for who knows how long.

I totally did forget about the pirate ship, you're right. That doesn't necessarily disprove my theory though, they still came to earth and fell for humanity, then eventually Rose met Mr Universe.

Same with second point, forgot that Rebecca had said that it's an alternate universe earth where the Gems have been part of civilization to the point where humanity isn't really plussed by them anymore.

But again, that doesn't totally discredit the theory that they came to Earth, saw humans, found them to be worth saving, and set up camp. Gem Leader didn't like this group of renegades deviating from the plan, came to earth to capture them, giant battle, Gems stay behind on earth, Rose eventually meets Mr Universe, etc.

The Gems don't age so when they initially came to earth doesn't really affect this theory, and I guess when the battle happened doesn't matter either just as long as it happened before Steven was conceived.

Psxphile

Already Thursday and yet no extended preview clip of "Future Vision", just the really short promos.

Shit's going down, yo. Or not. Something's up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom