• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT| Truly, Truly, Truly Outrageous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psxphile

I think Steven is worried that his dancing isn't up to par so he asks Connie for help. We'll see tomorrow.

That sounds perfectly reasonable.

One more promo image, by Rebecca Katie Mitroff:
tumblr_ni717aGqYY1qdyzvqo1_1280.png
Y'know an episode is a big deal when Becky Sucrose lends a hand.

welp

rexor0717

That was something. I liked it, but thats just so weird, lol.
Someone on Tumblr suggested that Steven can fuse with humans because he is part human. Makes sense, and would put him a unique position in the show.

jwk94

That was something. I liked it, but thats just so weird, lol.
Someone on Tumblr suggested that Steven can fuse with humans because he is part human. Makes sense, and would put him a unique position in the show.

I demand a Steven and Said fusion!

Watching Garnet dance with Pearl was really entertaining, I never realized how huge Garnet is compared to the rest of the characters...or maybe Pearl is just more petite than she normally looks.
:p
Also, the design of the fusion featured in this episode reminds me of Nani from Lilo and Stitch, which is a good thing in case anyone is wondering.
Anyways,
I actually really enjoyed this episode!
I always like seeing the gems teach Steven gem stuff, and Connie and Steven's interactions are always very charming.
The episode definitely had an awkward vibe to it though; I'm guessing it was mostly becuase of the implications of the fusion (
I guess becoming a young woman isn't incredibly out of the ordinary for Steven. :p
), the feelings the fusion character had (I really enjoyed that narrative elment btw), and the reactions of the townsfolk.

Holy fucking, what the wow!?!?

This episode... THIS EPISODE! I was equally parts intrigued, creeped out and thoroughly entertained. I made a joke about Steven fusing with Connie but i can't believe that actually happened. I need more of Stevonnie in the show.

Also Garnet = Stevn/Connie shipper. But so am I. Steven and Connie are so damned cute together.

rexor0717

When you think about it, there was a lot going on in this episode. I want to own the whole season and rewatch it really badly.

This is seriously the best and and most touching friendship/relationship in animation at the moment.

Too adorable.

Seconded. Steven and Connie have something I don't think I've ever seen in an animated show before. It's sweet.

The show is taking gender identity into some weird, wonderful places. So good.

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
I total LOVED how this episode! How it conveyed Stevanni getting creeped out because "they" doesn't understand what sexual tension is yet was very well done. 'Cause you know, they're just two kids.

tumblr_ni8v81cwyc1qhyi8do1_500.gif

DJ88

The beat the DJ started that made Stevonnie walk in and let loose was amazing. Would love the full track.

rexor0717

I can't stop thinking about how strange the Steven Connie fusion really was. It was handled in a way that took itself somewhat seriously and I'm not even sure where they fall in the gender spectrum, which is pretty out there for a kids show (or any show really). Hopefully the future episodes are as out there in their own way as this episode was. I just want Steven to kick a little butt by the end of the season.

Loved this one!

This show goes into some amazing places when it wants to.
Just can't get over how cute it is ... damn cute and damn amazing.
Also, I ship Garnet/ Peal. I ship that shit with Fed EX ...

Psxphile

Fusion is a metaphor for sex?

"Are you okay? We can stop if you-"
"No! No... don't worry."

Not quite, but something that could be considered just as intimate but without the implications? I don't know. I guess Garnet said it best:

"You. Are. An EXPERIENCE."

What's interesting about this is right after Pearl drops out and addresses Steven so casually. Almost like the entire dance and those reactions were something they were miming, perhaps from something they saw on television video.

Dat DJ Sour Cream, tho:

Apparently this is pretty much how the show's soundtrack is done? Also, who else wondered that Kevin was more than he appeared to be? He was spouting some weird "I-might-actually-be-an-enemy-in-disguise" lines at one point. But then he NOPED the fuck out.

Oh wow, I can't say I ever imagined this show going where it did in this episode. I thought the part where Garnet pushed Pearl against the wall was pushing things, but then we got a fusion of a male and a female character, with the story more or less treating it seriously.

And yes, I'd have to agree that Steven and Connie are one of the most adorable couples on TV now.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'd be ok with "Other Gems want to exert their superiority over lesser species" kinda thing, but I hope its a bit more complex than that.

My SO and I have the notion that the Gems as a whole are a technology which was designed to safeguard planets but has been running on autopilot for too long. And at some point the Gems on Earth were mostly destroyed in a battle with someone else, which inadvertently allowed human civilization to develop unchecked and become its own thing.

Our hero Gems are not bad beings on their own and still wish to protect humans; they just can't repress accidentally repress them with only 3 left. Rose was so impressed by humans after seeing what they could accomplish on their own.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
My SO and I have the notion that the Gems as a whole are a technology which was designed to safeguard planets but has been running on autopilot for too long. And at some point the Gems on Earth were mostly destroyed in a battle with someone else, which inadvertently allowed human civilization to develop unchecked and become its own thing.

Our hero Gems are not bad beings on their own and still wish to protect humans; they just can't repress accidentally repress them with only 3 left. Rose was so impressed by humans after seeing what they could accomplish on their own.

I think its basically a Goku storyline but empathy instead of amnesia is why they didn't destroy the human. The Gems were sent here to conquer earth (because their species does that) but they ran into a few humans and the team leader Rose convinced the others to stay and destroy the gate home behind them.

Absolutely loved this episode. Steven and Connie continue to be adorable and I love how the fusion was handled thematically. Stevonnie looked like a curvier version of Marjianne from Persephone.

Hamlet

That was an interesting but cute episode. Wasn't expecting Stevonnie fusion to actually happen, but it worked really well. Loved how eager Garnet was about them having a good experience and fun.
Oh my at the Pearl/Garnet dance at the start of the episode.

tkscz

So, was Stevonnie trans, female or genderless? Honest question as it was a perfect fusion of a male and female, which is something we don't see often, and when we do, it's either unanswered, or they become genderless.

Avixph

So, was Stevonnie trans, female or genderless? Honest question as it was a perfect fusion of a male and female, which is something we don't see often, and when we do, it's either unanswered, or they become genderless.

Both genders.

Hamlet

Ronaldo's take on Stevonnie.
tumblr_ni90xgmx301sez0oko1_500.gif

So I went to my first rave tonight! I was expecting to see lots of weird things - candy necklaces, grown adults using pacifiers, the dropping of crazy sick beats. But nothing could prepare me for what I saw in that warehouse - A TEENAGER SPLIT APART INTO TWO KIDS!!!

There’s only one explanation - Steven and his friend were hiding in a specially fabricated bodysuit built by the Illuminati for the purposes of international espionage!

You might have heard of it before under the official name: Project L.I.L. R.A.S.C.A.L.

Local Illuminati’s Latest Really Attractive Spy Concealing Approximated Life-form

It’s a shame because I was totally gonna go ask them to dance… you know, until I learned it was Steven and his friend.

KiN0

I would also say female. I thought Sadie's reaction was just the reaction a young girl has when she sees a very beautiful woman.

I think technically both genders, but her outward appearance was predominantly female because that's precisely what you see when you compare Connie with Steven. It was interesting that their ages apparently combined, and like many kids that age Connie is a little more developed than Steven as an adolescent.

But on the flip side Stevonnie would appear pretty androgynous if it weren't for the long hair. That could be the only reason everyone else assumed Stevonnie was a female.

rexor0717

But on the flip side Stevonnie would appear pretty androgynous if it weren't for the long hair. That could be the only reason everyone else assumed Stevonnie was a female.
Yeah, also if they changed their clothes it could have gone either way. Their kid clothes didn't scale up with them.

I thought she had a pretty apparent bust.

Yeah and she clearly had a female figure. I can never tell with this show but I don't think they intended for it to be so overtly focused on just the physical traits of a male and female, it's also taking their personalities into account, just look at the difference between Sugilite and Opal.

KiN0

Yeah and she clearly had a female figure. I can never tell with this show but I don't think they intended for it to be so overtly focused on just the physical traits of a male and female, it's also taking their personalities into account, just look at the difference between Sugilite and Opal.
That reminds me, I was hoping we would see garnet and pearl fusion this episode. When the two were dancing, I got my hopes up.

I thought she had a pretty apparent bust.

I definitely think Stevonnie is duel/transgender. I think if Steven fused with one of the gems they'd be male because the gems are basically genderless. But Stevonnie seemed to have both male and female traits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom