• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT| Truly, Truly, Truly Outrageous

Status
Not open for further replies.

mreddie

latest

Sums up the episode.

I definitely think Stevonnie is duel/transgender. I think if Steven fused with one of the gems they'd be male because the gems are basically genderless. But Stevonnie seemed to have both male and female traits.

They're not genderless, they're clearly female. I mean, one got pregnant!

I can't seem to get this ep outta my head! Had a few dreams about Stevonnie last night (It was some kinda retro 16bit era RPG starring Stevonnie!). I changed my mind, I think Stevonnie is both until told otherwise. Mainly because they simply went outta their way to not address it in anyway (still siding with female but ehh).

I think people think of gender as "Black and white" which is silly (I also find it stupid for "race") seeing as what makes a male is that we have a X and a Y where as women have 2 Xs. To me it's like ... black (female) and some shade of dark gray (male). Female is the default/ neutral model, the Y makes males develop male parts off of that. In other words ... "All embryos develop as female until a certain critical point in the process when, if there's presence of male hormones, then the genitalia develop as male.- Or to put it differently, in some abnormal cases a baby can be born with female sex organs whose cells indicate it was supposed to be a male but for which male hormones did not get produced. "

So IMO any fusion between male and female should come out looking more female as it's the default. But what would Stevonnie consider to be his/ her "gender"? IDK, both maybe.

TheOGB

Banned
I just figured the gems were nonbinary, at least, with Stevonnie being "definitively" both (which I guess would still be nonbinary) *shrug*

They're not genderless, they're clearly female. I mean, one got pregnant!

I can't seem to get this ep outta my head! Had a few dreams about Stevonnie last night (It was some kinda retro 16bit era RPG starring Stevonnie!). I changed my mind, I think Stevonnie is both until told otherwise. Mainly because they simply went outta their way to not address it in anyway (still siding with female but ehh).

I think people think of gender as "Black and white" which is silly (I also find it stupid for "race") seeing as what makes a male is that we have a X and a Y where as women have 2 Xs. To me it's like ... black (female) and some shade of dark gray (male). Female is the default/ neutral model, the Y makes males develop male parts off of that. In other words ... "All embryos develop as female until a certain critical point in the process when, if there's presence of male hormones, then the genitalia develop as male.- Or to put it differently, in some abnormal cases a baby can be born with female sex organs whose cells indicate it was supposed to be a male but for which male hormones did not get produced. "

So IMO any fusion between male and female should come out looking more female as it's the default. But what would Stevonnie consider to be his/ her "gender"? IDK, both maybe.
Hormones and chromosomes are irrelevant this this case because the gems have neither
Their genderless because their physical bodies are a projection of their gem. The Gems can take any physical form they want that includes gendered forms. But their physical bodies aren't actually real. (this goes for their clothes also) When amethyst turned into a wrestler she was a dude at that point with a hairy chest and everything.

Steven is the only gem with a biological sex. due to him being half human. I Believe that Steve's biological male sex would be the dominate factor of the fusion between he and another Gem. But because he fused with Connie who also has a biological sex, it makes sense that Stevonnie would inter/dual sexed.

Hormones and chromosomes are irrelevant this this case because the gems have neither .

If they have neither then I'm not sure how the hell Steven is even a thing. Clearly their physical bodies being projected from their gem must have genetic info in some manner if they can make babies with humans unless you think Steven is just a clone of his dad with his mom's gem pasted on (which I doubt). Amy can look like w/e ... she can become an animated dog chopper and a car. Shape-shifting doesn't make something genderless.

I think the word everybody is looking for is sexless; the gems are definitely sexless...but genderless??
I'm not so sure about that...
Gender is mental, sex is physical.
Most of the time the C.Gems gender presentation is definitely female; I mean, Amethyst and Garnet aren't society's typical idea of what female people should act like (or even look like in the case of Amethyst) but they're still quite feminine in both their appearance and behavior.
Also, they all call each other "she" and "her" quite frequently so they must be somewhat comfortable with assuming what we (biased human beings who mostly work on a strict rigid binary) think of as a female gender identity.

If they have neither then I'm not sure how the hell Steven is even a thing. Clearly their physical bodies being projected from their gem must have genetic info in some manner if they can make babies with humans unless you think Steven is just a clone of his dad with his mom's gem pasted on (which I doubt). Amy can look like w/e ... she can become an animated dog chopper and a car. Shape-shifting doesn't make something genderless.

Steven is a thing and male because of Greg and his Y chromosome. If a human woman was impregnated by a Gem taking male form(if such a thing is even possible) the baby would most definitely be female due to no Y chromosome being part of the mix. Steve inherited his biology from his Father and his gem and powers from his mother.

Although Steven's physical form is also somewhat malleable and can be effected by his mental state at seen in Too Many Birthdays and Cat Fingers.

Also can you imagine Connie's diary entry after this episode?

Dear Diary:
Today Steven made me a woman.
I also made him a woman
and he man me a man.
It was a very confusing day diary.

That was a great episode. I really like how they're taking this show.

Edit: Oh, by the way, hi Steven Universe GAF! I've just started getting into this show and its really something else. The art is beautiful.

Crocodile

Heard about the hype surrounding this episode so I made sure to check it out. I've been watching the show already on and off and while I like it now it was def a slow buildup. Anyway, yeah I can't say I saw that coming O_O. I was like "are they really suggesting that? LOL as if!" and then 2 minutes later "WELP tonight I dine on crow!". Episode tackled the consequences tastefully and in a fun manner. I was also surprised how happy Garnet was about it - its always fun those brief moments the Gems step out their general archetypes :)

I have to agree with others that Steven and Connie are actually a pretty great couple. One of the better ones on TV full stop right now. I'm also a fan of the lore this show seems to be building. Good stuff all around :)

Yeah........that was a shot alright.......O_O

I think the word everybody is looking for is sexless; the gems are definitely sexless...but genderless??
I'm not so sure about that...
Gender is mental, sex is physical.
Most of the time the C.Gems gender presentation is definitely female; I mean, Amethyst and Garnet aren't society's typical idea of what female people should act like (or even look like in the case of Amethyst) but they're still quite feminine in both their appearance and behavior.
Also, they all call each other "she" and "her" quite frequently so they must be somewhat comfortable with assuming what we (biased human beings who mostly work on a strict rigid binary) think of as a female gender identity.
That makes sense and I agree.

Steven is a thing and male because of Greg and his Y chromosome. If a human woman was impregnated by a Gem taking male form(if such a thing is even possible) the baby would most definitely be female due to no Y chromosome being part of the mix. Steve inherited his biology from his Father and his gem and powers from his mother.

Although Steven's physical form is also somewhat malleable and can be effected by his mental state at seen in Too Many Birthdays and Cat Fingers. .
... So you DO think he's a clone of Greg with the gem pasted on (Seeing as Steven could be female if Greg's sperm had any part in the making of him ... as you can have X or Y sperm)? And you still don't explain how a gem can get pregnant and yet you don't think one can impregnate a human ...

We're gonna have to agree to disagree then cause I feel that their physical forms do have gene-info and behave in some manner of rules (Amy talking about eating and passing food shows that their bodies have more than just outside human form and that, though they don't have to eat, they can do organic things if they wish. They also seem to be locked into having certain traits carry over regardless of what they look like as seen in steven tag (and anytime Amy transforms) where they keep their colors, voices and other traits. Even their powers are expressed in ways that are limited to physical things ... like Roses tears healing people. Why limit the expression of this power to just tears if their bodies are ONLY a physical projection from the gem and nothing more to them? And then that trait getting passed onto Steven but through spit and not tears? I think they have some form of DnA and that Steven is an actual half gem-half human and not a Greg clone with a gem tacked on ... )

KiN0

Well, her gender is a bit ambiguous but her sex really seems to be female. Almost everything about her physical appearance suggests it.

tkscz

Well, her gender is a bit ambiguous but her sex really seems to be female. Almost everything about her physical appearance suggests it.

Except the head and face, but Steven always had a feminine face. I honestly believe the gender is whatever they, Steven and Connie, wanted it to be. Steven constantly thinks about Connie when he's around her, so the form they took looks more like an adult daughter of Connie and Steven. I wonder if it could work the other way around, if they were to focus on being more masculine, would the result look like the adult son of Connie and Steven? Either way this is cool, and fan artist are fast as hell.

Steven can't be a biological clone of his dad, his hair is naturally curly and Greg's is straight.

We don't know if that's how Greg's hair is naturally, we've never seen him as a child. If anything, the curls come from his mom, but that face and head is all greg, looks nothing like Rose.

... So you DO think he's a clone of Greg with the gem pasted on (Seeing as Steven could be female if Greg's sperm had any part in the making of him ... as you can have X or Y sperm)? And you still don't explain how a gem can get pregnant and yet you don't think one can impregnate a human ...

I said before what I think of the birth, but for pregnancy, Gems can become as close to human as they want (as seen that Amethyst chooses to eat and has a digestive system as she "likes the way it goes down"). So it's not crazy to think that Rose gave herself a reproductive system as she wanted her love with Greg to be as complete as she could make it. So pregnancy seems very possible, and as I said before, because the bodies are not "real" they don't have DNA to give. The only way that Steven could be born is if Rose gave herself up for him to have what he can of his mother's "DNA", which would be her gem (as that's the only part of them that matters).

Psxphile

OT title is soooooo apt, I just never realized.

Curious if we'll see Stevonnie again during a crucial moment. It's actually kind of a shame we didn't see what kind of battle potential they had. I'm also wondering if Steven will be able to fuse with anyone other than Connie, at least at his current "power level". Seems like having a close bond like the one he has with Connie would be essential.

At least Steven finally has an answer to the question that has hounded him for weeks:

"What about if you eat a hot dog? Whose stomach does it go into? Or do you share the same stomach? Ha ha ha, that would be gross!"

God damn. All that world-building in the 1st half of the season is finally starting to pay dividends.

tkscz

This makes the sex of stevonnie even more confusing. The storyboard art has more of a teenage boy's upper body (wide shoulders, big arms) and teenage girl's lower body (curvy waist, thicker legs). I actually wish they went for that as it feels like more of a fusion of the two.

That makes sense and I agree.

We're gonna have to agree to disagree then cause I feel that their physical forms do have gene-info and behave in some manner of rules (Amy talking about eating and passing food shows that their bodies have more than just outside human form and that, though they don't have to eat, they can do organic things if they wish. They also seem to be locked into having certain traits carry over regardless of what they look like as seen in steven tag (and anytime Amy transforms) where they keep their colors, voices and other traits. Even their powers are expressed in ways that are limited to physical things ... like Roses tears healing people. Why limit the expression of this power to just tears if their bodies are ONLY a physical projection from the gem and nothing more to them? And then that trait getting passed onto Steven but through spit and not tears? I think they have some form of DnA and that Steven is an actual half gem-half human and not a Greg clone with a gem tacked on ... )

Steven is a one of a kind crossbreed. Who knows how genetically different he is from his dad, or from a normal human being. He certainly looks more like if dad then his mom but he also had limited( at least for the moment) form changing powers. Rose told Steven that he was a human being. Pearl went specifically states that Steven is Biological differing him from the other Gems.

Also we have no ideal how exactly Steven came to exist at all. The fact that rose had to give up her physical form and gem, in order for him to be tells me it wasn't a typical delivery. Hell it may have not been a typical conception for that matter. We'll have to wait for Rebecca Suger to give us more details. Or its could be a case of "it's magic" and explanation aren't necessary.

As far as Stevonnie goes, he/she like Steven himself was unique. Or as Pearl says "unprecedented". But there are a few things that set Stevonnie apart from Opal and sugilite. Stevonnie only has one pair of arms, the rose quarts gem didn't change. And Stevonnie's clothes didn't change. She/he was literally wearing Steven and Connie clothes. Again this to me points to a Biological amalgamation rather then a fusing of two Gem constructed bodies. It's logical to me that Stevonnie was biologically hermaphroditic.

Is Pearl becoming more of a bitch? It seems like it.

Pearl is just...Pearl. She can be very loving to Steven, but at the same time she is the most alien of the Crystal Gems. She doesn't know any better.

And her bitchy behavior in the portal episode can be attributed to the fact that she was scared out of her mind.

Steven can't be a biological clone of his dad, his hair is naturally curly and Greg's is straight.

We don't know if that's how Greg's hair is naturally, we've never seen him as a child. If anything, the curls come from his mom, but that face and head is all greg, looks nothing like Rose.

We have seen him from his earlier years and as he is now I don't take him as the type to get his hair did enough to keep it like that all this time.

We also see that Rose is taller than Greg, (Also, all 3 of them have the same nose pretty much) Garnet is taller than Greg annnnd Stevonnie is as tall as Gernet where as neither of Connie's folks are tall. So yeah, I take it he got he is getting his height from her when he grows up (Also think that the fact that Stevonnie is a late teens/ young adult is because Rose was a Gem and gems don't seem to have baby forms, they are all young adult women and Fusion is a gem function so even if 2 kids fuse it's still gonna pump out a young adult it seems).

I said before what I think of the birth, but for pregnancy, Gems can become as close to human as they want (as seen that Amethyst chooses to eat and has a digestive system as she "likes the way it goes down"). So it's not crazy to think that Rose gave herself a reproductive system as she wanted her love with Greg to be as complete as she could make it. So pregnancy seems very possible, and as I said before, because the bodies are not "real" they don't have DNA to give. The only way that Steven could be born is if Rose gave herself up for him to have what he can of his mother's "DNA", which would be her gem (as that's the only part of them that matters).
I think they DO have DNA, it's simply in their gem. They're living rock aliens, they likely have some form of DNA and in order to have an organic child they may have to have their gem AKA themselves become that part of the DNA of the offspring.

So yeah, I do think Steven is a true half gem. Half his DNA comes from Rose/ his mother's gem.

Sooo ... all based touched? We have the "he's a clone of Greg with all Greg DNA and a Gem pasted on" crowd, my side that thinks the gems DO have DNA inside of them, just that said DNA is inside the gem and they must become part of their organic offspring if they are to mate with organics and ... the side that pretty much says the same thing but doesn't think they have DNA?

IDK, lore stuff will get answered by the show so Imma just sit here and enjoy this.

PaulloDEC

I'm finally caught up you guys. The show was a bit of a slow-burner for me at first, but after the last ten or so episodes I'm well-onboard. Really interested in seeing where all of this is going (
especially after all the new Gem stuff in the last few episodes
).

This was funny enough on its own, but then we got this a few moments later:

I really love the delicate balance between comedy and drama in this show. I just wish the episodes were allowed to fill the full 22 minutes.

God dang, this episode prompted a greater surge of activity in this thread than the previous three combined. I honestly thought that this thread would fade into obscurity after making it, so thanks for sticking around and keeping the discussion alive, GemGAF. Y'all are truly, truly, truly outrageous.

God dang, this episode prompted a greater surge of activity in this thread than the previous three combined. I honestly thought that this thread would fade into obscurity after making it, so thanks for sticking around and keeping the discussion alive, GemGAF. Y'all are truly, truly, truly outrageous.

Steven Universe is the best animated show on. It really needs more love.

KiN0

Steven Universe is the best animated show on. It really needs more love.
I wouldn't say it's my favorite but it is easily in my top 3. The storytelling is jut perfectly paced with every minute of each episode used perfectly. I'm actually perfectly happy with the 11 minute format for that very reason.

Psxphile

As soon as Sour Cream's name was given several came to the conclusion that he and Onion were related, even if the show never explicitly made the connection.

Naming them after food/condiments, though... you'd think Akira Toriyama had creative input.

rexor0717

Double post, but this is entirely unrelate to the previous post.
I'm putting this in spoilers because there is some strong evidence for this theory. It regards Garnet.
Garnet is 2 gems fused together. There is a buuunch of evidence towards this point, but the scene in "Fusion Cuisine" where Alexandrite bursts apart, there is a frame where garnet is two distinct people then melds back to one the next frame. She also has two gems on her hands. There is also a part in some episode where it shows a door with 5 gems on them, and two of them are believed to be Ruby and Sapphire. Knowing this show's love for Nintendo stuff, I'd wouldn't put it past them to have that be what Garnet is a fusion of. Look on tumblr for some stuff if you're not convinced.

I'm putting this in spoilers because there is some strong evidence for this theory. It regards Garnet.
Garnet is 2 gems fused together. There is a buuunch of evidence towards this point, but the scene in "Fusion Cuisine" where Alexandrite bursts apart, there is a frame where garnet is two distinct people then melds back to one the next frame. She also has two gems on her hands. There is also a part in some episode where it shows a door with 5 gems on them, and two of them are believed to be Ruby and Sapphire. Knowing this show's love for Nintendo stuff, I'd wouldn't put it past them to have that be what Garnet is a fusion of. Look on tumblr for some stuff if you're not convinced.
The three eyes are a clue as well.

ffdgh

Taking a quick relook....Mind = blown. Sneaky...very sneaky.

I know its a popular theory but I don't buy it and it would take away from garnets character if it was true. Also there are just as many things pointing to Garnet just being a single entity.

There are a few things we do know about fused gems:
1. All fused gem forms have multiple arms. Sugilite,(4) Opal(4) Alexandrite(6) Temple statue(8). Garnet has one pair of arms. Yes garnet has three eyes but Alexandrite seems to have 1 pair of eyes but two mouths Opal just has 1 pair of eyes but Sugilite has 5 eyes.

2. Gem fusions tend to be unstable to longer they are fused. Garnet is the opposite of unstable.

3. Gem fusion weapons seems to be formed of the two weapons of the gems they merged from. Opal Long Bow was made out of Peals staff spear and Amethyst whip. Sugilite chain and hammer was formed from Garnet's Gauntlets and Amethyst whip. Garnet's Gauntlets doesn't seem to be formed from any two other weapons.

Fans also point to Garnet's size as an indicator that she is a fused gem. But Rose was taller then Garnet and no one believe's shes a fused Gem.

I know its a popular theory but I don't buy it and it would take away from garnets character if it was true. Also there are just as many things pointing to Garnet just being a single entity.

There are a few things we do know about fused gems:
1. All fused gem forms have multiple arms. Sugilite,(4) Opal(4) Alexandrite(6) Temple statue(8). Garnet has one pair of arms. Yes garnet has three eyes but Alexandrite seems to have 1 pair of eyes but two mouths Opal just has 1 pair of eyes but Sugilite has 5 eyes.

2. Gem fusions tend to be unstable to longer they are fused. Garnet is the opposite of unstable.

3. Gem fusion weapons seems to be formed of the two weapons of the gems they merged from. Opal Long Bow was made out of Peals staff spear and Amethyst whip. Sugilite chain and hammer was formed from Garnet's Gauntlets and Amethyst whip. Garnet's Gauntlets doesn't seem to be formed from any two other weapons.

Fans also point to Garnet's size as an indicator that she is a fused gem. But Rose was taller then Garnet and no one believe's shes a fused Gem.

I could go either way with it. At the least, there is something special about Garnet, due to the third eye and having two gems. Considering that every gem entity is associated with a single gem, the two gems need to be explained somehow. Maybe a fusion of two injured gems?

She was quite invested in Stevonnie exploring fused life. Hmmmm.

I don't see how Garnet being a permanent fusion takes anything away from her. She's awesome how she is, just like Steven and Stevonnie.

I could go either way with it. At the least, there is something special about Garnet, due to the third eye and having two gems. Considering that every gem entity is associated with a single gem, the two gems need to be explained somehow. Maybe a fusion of two injured gems?

She was quite invested in Stevonnie exploring fused life. Hmmmm.

I don't see how Garnet being a permanent fusion takes anything away from her. She's awesome how she is, just like Steven and Stevonnie.

I think there's a reason for her 2 gems and 3rd eye that will be explained. I do subscribe to the 2 Gem fusion theory, it makes a good bit of sense to me. There is that strange defusion scene where Garnet looks like 2 smaller people, There's also her 2 gems being used to open the gem door ... ones a red gem and the other is blue but both of Garnet's are red (like how all 3 of sugilite's are the same color).

Fusions aren't unstable, Pearl says that Garnet and Amy's personalities fused together is unstable in that Sugilite is a short tempered single minded force that enjoys showing off and swinging around her power. They were able to stay together and walk all the way home for a whole day. The thing is that fusions run the gambit of simply losing themselves and staying together if they're fused for too long.

I think that the CG were a group of 5 gems but for w/e reason 2 became Garnet and stayed that way.

DJ88

Yes! I was really happy with this when I made the revelation. I hope Onion gets a bit more action, because he seems to be seriously mischievous.

Rave song from the episode.

YES!

I was waiting for this, the song up until 1:55 is incredible. Looks like Sparkle is the name for that part. Really wish they'd turn into it a full track

I think that the CG were a group of 5 gems but for w/e reason 2 became Garnet and stayed that way.

I think the temple statue is a representation of all of the Crystal Gems fusion. It has 8 arms and not 10. That would indicate that its a 4 gem fusion and not 5.

I think Garnet has 3 eyes and two stones just because she Garnet. She may be like Rose and is just a very powerful special Gem. Also it seem we find out in a future episode that
Garnet can see into the future

I think the temple statue is a representation of all of the Crystal Gems fusion. It has 8 arms and not 10. That would indicate that its a 4 gem fusion and not 5.

I think Garnet has 3 eyes and two stones just because she Garnet. She may be like Rose and is just a very powerful special Gem. Also it seem we find out in a future episode that
Garnet can see into the future

The temple could have been made after w/e happened to make Garnet. As we know they have been there for a long time.

Also, I just read an old ama where someone asked if there is a 5th cg because of the blue stone and she tells them to wait and see or something ... I take it that this ama was before Garnet is shown opening the door. So I think she was plans to go over why Garnet uses 2 gems and the story behind this blue stone ( the fact that the stone on the door is blue and doesn't match Garnet's red gems is enough for me to think something along the lines of fusion happened)

TheOGB

Banned
Starting today, Cartoon Network will no longer air repeat episodes of Steven Universe on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays or Sundays at 6:30pm. The network will replace all those airings with more Amazing World of Gumball.
All in all, Cartoon Network’s two most-aired shows: Teen Titans Go! and The Amazing World of Gumball will total over 55% of the cartoon channel’s daytime kids programming.
yDj6y.png
Why??

Like, I enjoy Gumball and whatever, but what the hell is this.

Mesoian

All in all, Cartoon Network’s two most-aired shows: Teen Titans Go! and The Amazing World of Gumball will total over 55% of the cartoon channel’s daytime kids programming each weekday. Cartoon Network’s full generic line-up starting today follows (with emphasis on these two overexposed series):

This is EXTRAORDINARILY poor management.

But it might just be the result of the power well formed by new shows being added to the line up. Too early to say.

But seriously, when 2 shows make up 55% of your daily programming, someone is fucking up.

Also: The music from this week's episode is up on A&S's soundcloud.

abundant

Well, that is worrying. Unfortunately, it's par for the course at CN. They are always moving things around, in and out of rotation, adding and subtracting viewings to some formula only they know about. It is annoying, but I'm not going to read too much into to it yet, since it has happened to SU before.

Correct. For example, about 6 months ago, Adventure Time and Regular Show were in the same position where Teen Titans GO and Gumball are in now.

Mesoian

Correct. For example, about 6 months ago, Adventure Time and Regular Show were in the same position where Teen Titans GO and Gumball are in now.

Not that it's any indication of it's quality, but the fact that CN put Sonic Boom, a premiere show with a guaranteed contract, on SATURDAY MORNINGS, a timeslot that has proven to be completely toxic in our post 2010 world, sort of says it all when it comes to the management over there.

I just hope this doesn't turn into another deal of "want this show to survive? You better buy 3 copies of the blu-ray because we, as a network, are fucking done trying to push this."

Chickadee

Unconfirmed Member
Also consider that the DVD just came out. Maybe they pulled re-runs to drive some sales?

I don't know about you guys, but if they made action figures of the gems I would so buy the crap out of them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom