• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe Season 2 |OT| Obama chuckled. "You mean the Crystal Gems?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not quite so simple:
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comme..._sugar_creator_of_steven_universe_and/cjw7efv
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comme..._sugar_creator_of_steven_universe_and/cjw8e1p

Ironically, this has in turn be used by fans of the show not entirely confortable with same-gender relationships as an alternative to "they're just friends".

Going to quote myself from another recent thread here:

[...]I always took a lot of Undertale's themes [of inclusivity] like that in a similar vein to Steven Universe, which basically amounts to "We aren't putting a specific label on the parallel here because we wouldn't want to exclude anyone (except Huelen) that identifies or empathizes with the situation, but it's definitely not the norm."

The idea is, of course, that they're avoiding pushing these characters, their relationships, their thematic qualities, etc. into specific boxes so as to avoid alienating any one particular group that may be taking solace in seeing themselves represented, even if it is in an abstract fashion. That being said, SU's particular flavor of "quantum inclusiveness" is very easy to weaponize by classical-minded "objective, rational discourse" types, allowing them to try and completely shut down the very same themes of equality and openness SU aims to promote. That being said, the latter are usually pretty easy to identify as asshats that are just looking to silence more voices, so SU's method of keeping things inclusive is ultimately doing more good than harm in the long run.

Speaking of which, I thought it was really great that they actually touched on and completely deconstructed that whole concept using captured!Peridot's hardon for "objectivity" which was promptly shut down when she got torn down by Yellow Diamond only to retaliate and go against her "programming". I think this is also why Peridot has so much potential for a healthy (platonic) relationship with Garnet; Garnet is an unstoppable force and never allows herself to be anything other than a living, breathing experience that mainly operates through intimacy and conversation. I think that's why she also originally came across as so completely alien to Peridot; the nature of Garnet's existence as an empathetic, constantly-learning individual isn't just anomalous to Peridot, in her eyes it's something that logistically shouldn't be able to exist.

dity

It's not quite so simple:
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comme..._sugar_creator_of_steven_universe_and/cjw7efv
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comme..._sugar_creator_of_steven_universe_and/cjw8e1p

Ironically, this has in turn be used by fans of the show not entirely confortable with same-gender relationships as an alternative to "they're just friends".

"The gems" in my post being the Crystal Gems - who have lived on Earth for thousands of years who quite clearly understand and accept the concept.

Peridot isn't as concerned about Steven's appearence and also being a gem as the fans seem to be at times.

So much for "gems are non-gendered". :D
Didn't notice that, how unfortunate. Game designer probably didn't give a crap about being accurate.
The idea is, of course, that they're avoiding pushing these characters, their relationships, their thematic qualities, etc. into specific boxes so as to avoid alienating any one particular group that may be taking solace in seeing themselves represented, even if it is in an abstract fashion. That being said, SU's particular flavor of "quantum inclusiveness" is very easy to weaponize by classical-minded "objective, rational discourse" types, allowing them to try and completely shut down the very same themes of equality and openness SU aims to promote. That being said, the latter are usually pretty easy to identify as asshats that are just looking to silence more voices, so SU's method of keeping things inclusive is ultimately doing more good than harm in the long run.

Speaking of which, I thought it was really great that they actually touched on and completely deconstructed that whole concept using captured!Peridot's hardon for "objectivity" which was promptly shut down when she got torn down by Yellow Diamond only to retaliate and go against her "programming". I think this is also why Peridot has so much potential for a healthy (platonic) relationship with Garnet; Garnet is an unstoppable force and never allows herself to be anything other than a living, breathing experience that mainly operates through intimacy and conversation. I think that's why she also originally came across as so completely alien to Peridot; the nature of Garnet's existence as an empathetic, constantly-learning individual isn't just anomalous to Peridot, in her eyes it's something that logistically shouldn't be able to exist.
Good post. My partner is nonbinary and loves that aspect of the show.

"The gems" in my post being the Crystal Gems - who have lived on Earth for thousands of years who quite clearly understand and accept the concept.

I don't think "understanding" has anything to do with it, and also Rebecca didn't single out the Crystal Gems as being outside of the nongendered gem standard. Notice she says Steven is the first male gem but there are no female gems; at the point Steven was born, the Crystal Gems had been on Earth for thousands of years. Not only that, there seems to be no functional difference between the CG and any other gem regarding gender: they don't seem to identify as female any more or any less than homeworld gems.

Going to quote myself from another recent thread here:

Excellent post, that was my line of thinking itself; "quantum inclusiveness" is actually a great term for it. Fortunately, even though it's kind of a balancing act to make a single character work as an example of both non-binary and gay, it's also impossible to deny both of them at once on these grounds, which is probably why the "they're just friends, oh, and female" is the go-to tactic for anti-inclusiveness types.

Also, I'm actually a huge fan of "objective, rational" discourse, but I don't see how it would do anything but support inclusiveness. In other words, in my opinion no rational reasons exist to exclude others based on gender, sexuality, race and so on, it's all irrational prejudice.

PSqueak

Banned

Which is stupid anyway, agender same gender relationships are still same gender relationships.

So much for "gems are non-gendered". :D

Eh, they prolly had to be labelled female for game mechanic reasons, means nothing.

SU MOBA when

Im still holding for CN to expand Battle Party beyond just AT.

Which is stupid anyway, agender same gender relationships are still same gender relationships.

Who knows what the rules of what kids can or can't take are in these people's minds.

SU MOBA when

Eh, I'm not too keen on licensed MOBAs. I'd be happy if they made a much expanded sequel to Attack of the Light, with more enemy and skill variety, an actual fusion system, and actual story with lots of references both to SU and to games. Release it on the Vita as a full fledged RPG and I'll buy the shit out of it.

dity

I don't think "understanding" has anything to do with it, and also Rebecca didn't single out the Crystal Gems as being outside of the nongendered gem standard. Notice she says Steven is the first male gem but there are no female gems; at the point Steven was born, the Crystal Gems had been on Earth for thousands of years. Not only that, there seems to be no functional difference between the CG and any other gem regarding gender: they don't seem to identify as female any more or any less than homeworld gems.

Earth gems use "she, her" for each other, Peridot uses "the pearl, the garnet, the amethyst".

Also, I'm actually a huge fan of "objective, rational" discourse, but I don't see how it would do anything but support inclusiveness. In other words, in my opinion no rational reasons exist to exclude others based on gender, sexuality, race and so on, it's all irrational prejudice.

I used "objective" in quotations because I'm referring to the specific brand of facetious arguments certain corners of the internet have cultivated that try and pass themselves as just "speaking statistically", when they're really just trying to silence people, tone police, concern troll, etc. Y'know, goobergate types that view empathy and context as weapons.

Psxphile

Amazon.com now has a listing for Steven Universe: The Return DVD:

W1ESEyo.jpg

UCcz3jA.jpg

June 7th, 2016
$14.98 MSRP

The_Kid

Give me my blu ray. I'm so tired of these random dvds, especially after the whole Regular Show debacle. :/

The people who spout every possible technicality as to why Ruby and Sapphire aren't in a "queer" relationship are probably the same ones who will do everything to say Korra and Asami didn't have any romantic inclinations at the end. Denial, denial, denial.

dity

Come on guys, stop hating on Zone. They only made the most dead-on accurate Foster's parody ever made. Like, you can't even tell the difference between the original Zone Asset's and Zone's, it's that good. They're extremely talented.

I love the cover, but still holding out for BDs in the USA>

Zone gets 3 thumbs up from me, honestly. But we might be getting a bit too close to a NSFW subject here lol.

And I'm still so glad I get SU BDs in a week. For once: thank god for Australia.

Come on guys, stop hating on Zone. They only made the most dead-on accurate Foster's parody ever made. Like, you can't even tell the difference between the original Zone Asset's and Zone's, it's that good. They're extremely talented.
I'm new around here but even I can see how dense you can be.

Psxphile

Damn that is a run of some of their best episodes too. Shame CN is so slow about Blu-Ray/complete season releases.

It's still weird that the season officially ends with Jailbreak when it needed a whole 'nother episode (Full Disclosure) to resolve some things from it and bring it to a close for the next arc.

dity

It's still weird that the season officially ends with Jailbreak when it needed a whole 'nother episode (Full Disclosure) to resolve some things from it and bring it to a close for the next arc.
TV shows do it all the time really. Cliff hanger stuff with the sudden relief cut off of Jailbreak.

Its frustrating how its really hard to re watch the whole show in order legally. Only way I could find to do it is recording them all over a period of a few weeks of reruns and then breaking out an episode list.

I understand this is like a mini saga/movie, but dear goodness, why are "Kids" cartoons still sold like this instead of straight up full seasons.

To confuse parents. I think there was a discussion about this in one of the older Adventure Time threads, before they put out the full Season 1? Or maybe Alex Hirsch said it when talking about Gravity Falls DVDs.

Its frustrating how its really hard to re watch the whole show in order legally. Only way I could find to do it is recording them all over a period of a few weeks of reruns and then breaking out an episode list.

iTunes and Amazon both have the entire series available digitally, but you said "in order" ):

Psxphile

iTunes and Amazon both have the entire series available digitally, but you said "in order" ):

Amazon lets you download a copy to your HDD, right? Re-ordering them shouldn't be too hard... unless their DRM doesn't allow you to rename files. Also certain episodes in Season 2 have errors like incorrect aspect ratios, washed out colors and inproperly-mixed audio. At least on iTunes, and last I checked these errors still haven't been fixed/replaced.

I understand this is like a mini saga/movie, but dear goodness, why are "Kids" cartoons still sold like this instead of straight up full seasons.

Little kids aren't aware of the idea of seasons, so it's easier to sell it to them like this than with generic season sets.

Amazon lets you download a copy to your HDD, right?

They shut that down a couple of years ago. Unless you have a Kindle Fire, you have to stream it.

ReAxion

Hulu finally got around to getting them all up. And each ep is short enough so that you shouldn't have to watch any commercials. I'm guessing this is US-only tho.

Psxphile

According to Toonzone these are the names of the first four episodes to be aired during In Too Deep and the order they will appear in:

tumblr_o69cti6XkC1t5u6j6o2_540.png

From the looks of it, seems to be based on absolutely nothing but pure speculation. Like last time, I might add.

So we can assume that the leaked schedule was correct and Barn Mates really will air the following week after Gem Drill.

Man, that's a pretty big rush in story if (UK leak spoilers)
Malachite is defeated, Steven & Peridot take out the Cluster by themselves apparently, and Lapis rejoins the cast and interacts with Steven & Peridot
all in a course of three episodes. Maybe Steven & Peridot
fail at taking out the Cluster but are rescued by Lapis or find some way to escape?

hupla

oh my god just 2 weeks i can barley contain my excitement!!!! Even with Civil War next week im waaaay more excited for this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom