• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter : 3rd Strike SUPER appreciation thread

The Take Out Bandit said:
. . .

This is different from the FIRETRUCK and AREYOUKEN?! spamfests that are the SF4 tournies how? :|

I think Yeb, IIRC, the dude from here that was using Gen, is the only guy I've seen not using Ryu / Sagat in SF4 tournies make it out of the qualifiers.

Lord knows I love variety in fighting games; but watching stuff at the tournament level it all gets whittled down to "the most effective tool". Which doesn't always lend itself to character variety.

SF4 SBO grand finals - Viper, Rufus, Dhalsim, Abel.

Kthx GG's.

I'm not saying 3s is only Ken/Chun/Yun either.

FindMyFarms said:
SF4 SBO grand finals - Viper, Rufus, Dhalsim, Abel.

Kthx GG's.

I'm not saying 3s is only Ken/Chun/Yun either.

Sorry, don't follow the shit religiously. Have watched a few Ustream tournaments. The one where Daigo kept giving up matches to Wong's Balrog. Haven't bothered since then.

The final rounds always wear down to the same old heavies. I sort of prefer watching the early matches instead, that's where I tend to see more variety.

vertopci said:
Guile seriously needs to be cut and replaced with Remy. Fuck guile and his full two moves :lol

Wait, this is the Third Strike thread. Guile's not in it. :p

Guile's okay, but he's been downgraded to SF2 level Guile in 4; so yeah - they went too far back in time with him.

Sorry, don't follow the shit religiously. Have watched a few Ustream tournaments. The one where Daigo kept giving up matches to Wong's Balrog. Haven't bothered since then.

The final rounds always wear down to the same old heavies. I sort of prefer watching the early matches instead, that's where I tend to see more variety.

Oh ok, as long as you know you're wrong.

Guile's okay, but he's been downgraded to SF2 level Guile in 4; so yeah - they went too far back in time with him.

Actually guile blows in 4 compared to 2 :( He was god tier broken in WW, and straight up top tier in CE.

Come on mr. 2d pro get with the program!

Wait, this is the Third Strike thread. Guile's not in it. :p

I dunno man, in 4 my jabs don't Dizzy like the do in 2

FindMyFarms said:
Actually guile blows in 4 compared to 2 :( He was god tier broken in WW, and straight up top tier in CE.

Come on mr. 2d pro get with the program!

My favorite iteration of Guile is Super Turbo.

Hence, SF4 flavor Guile blows. Also I cannot consistently rely on his fuckin' flash kick super so he needs a Sonic Hurricane or something I can rely on. In 4 I had to rely heavily on well placed EX moves. :\

GeoNeo

I disagree.
ST Guile is one of the worst in SF2 series.

SF2 WW Guile was top along with Sim.

CE Bison and Guile were top.

Hyper Guile was alright too but nurfed compared to CE and WW.

As for Super Guile some say ST is worse than Super ver. while others prefer ST Guile.

Red Scarlet said:
No, it was that BoF2 Katt? one, it stretches out too tall. Fix that one and I'll give Shantae back to you! :)

Are there any good Urien combo videos around? I play against someone where the 'super rivalry' for some reason is my Urien. I don't know how to do those really big corner combos. I can do like, d+FP (the 2 hit elbow) into a forward shoulder charge, then a kick, but that's about it, no 12 hit Aegis Reflector combo of doom with 6 shoulder charges and stuff.

Not a video, but from SRK's wiki. Most vids on stuff like this are like Michael Angelo Batio guitar vids: them doing it, then saying "ok, now that you've seen it, do it" and leaving it there.

Charge Partitioning - Breaking a charge into multiple parts. A simple example is simply hold down on your joystick for about 3/4 of a charge, iimmediately dash forward, immediately being holding down, and hitting Up + MP as soon as the dash ends, this will do a Dangerous Headbutt where normally not possible in other games. This specific partition is used heavily so it is recommended to practice it.

Charge Buffering Starting a charge earlier than normal, the 3S system is extremely lenient with inputs, thusly, one can actually do a move where normally not possible. This is pretty exclusively used in tackle juggles. An example: Do a c.HP, then do an MK Chariot Tackle the first moment possible, however, hit forward then back + MK and hold back again. This will begin another charge earlier than had you hit F+MK alone, making another MK tackle possible, and then another.

oracrest

God's Beard said:
I just don't like charge characters very much. Q doesn't count.

yeah, I never got good enough at predicting 2 seconds into the future. that's what I like about the parry, it's instant reaction.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Kimosabae said:
Any competitive multiplayer game gets whittled down to a distilled form, eventually. It's the nature of the beast. Variety and equality just don't go hand-in-hand - just ask Capitalism.

Doesn't mean the only people that can enjoy the game are those with competitive mindsets.

*yawn* broken attitude.

HDR says otherwise. So does 98UM, VF, and several other fighters.

It can be done, Capcom just doesn't do it well.

arstal said:
HDR says otherwise. So does 98UM, VF, and several other fighters.

It can be done, Capcom just doesn't do it well.

To be fair, HDR and 98UM are refinements of games over a decade old. They didn't spring from the womb wholly formed and balanced. It took years of player feedback and tweaking.

Great to see this thread come up again. I just got SF anniversary collection for PS2 couple of days ago only because I never played 3rd strike (or SF3 in general) and given that I played every console Street Fighter out there since SF2 on the SNES I didn't want to miss out.

I'm no pro or even good I just spam when playing fighters (with some moves I already know like fireball and dragon punch) and only play against noobs like me :D, but I really like 3rd strike from what I've been playing so far.

Parrying is really tricky. I thought once you parry something the game will automatically parry the rest of the combo for you but when I learned that no you have to parry each move individually my head nearly exploded when I remembered Diago's infamous video (which was the most impressive fighting video I've seen even before learning about this!!) seriously that guy has got to be a machine sent in from the future to do that with that much discipline and concentration :D

The game got great music and great animation. Would've really liked to see M.bison here but oh well.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
To be fair, HDR and 98UM are refinements of games over a decade old. They didn't spring from the womb wholly formed and balanced. It took years of player feedback and tweaking.

And 3S was a refinement of SF3 and 2I.

Really, 3S would benefit heavily from some HDR-type treatment, I'd probably enjoy the game more if it was better balanced, but will NEVER happen, and Capcom wouldn't get someone like Sirlin again.

(the UM folks deserve equal props also)

arstal said:
And 3S was a refinement of SF3 and 2I.

Pick nits much? Nearly every main SF game (excluding the first) has had three iterations at the least. HDR and 98UM were posthumous updates. Long past the regular arcade life cycle of the game.

Really, 3S would benefit heavily from some HDR-type treatment, I'd probably enjoy the game more if it was better balanced, but will NEVER happen, and Capcom wouldn't get someone like Sirlin again.

(the UM folks deserve equal props also)

I'd be happy if they just released the game with online play for modern consoles. No need to update the visuals.

Then again given how notoriously shit Capcom's netcode has been for fighters SF3 online would be a joke. You could forget about ever parrying.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
3S does need rebalancing BAD. Not a graphics update.

So SD Remix perhaps?

Besides- GGPO 3S already exists, so you have what you want there.

Just have a decent comp and your console controller and you're set.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
IntelliHeath said:
I would love to see that kind of works in SF5.. I doubt it will ever happens.

How is SF3 Third Strike on GGPO? I heard it was still in demo mode? Are there still issues or does the game still have lag on line?

Just started playing this amazing game... practicing for super, Dudley is an amazing character ;)! And to say I skipped this game when it was released...

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
DarkoMaledictus said:
How is SF3 Third Strike on GGPO? I heard it was still in demo mode? Are there still issues or does the game still have lag on line?

Just started playing this amazing game... practicing for super, Dudley is an amazing character ;)! And to say I skipped this game when it was released...

Well, all games have lag online. 3S has additional issues due to resource requirements, but a decent comp and connection solves much of it.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
TheThunder said:
Great to see this thread come up again. I just got SF anniversary collection for PS2 couple of days ago only because I never played 3rd strike (or SF3 in general) and given that I played every console Street Fighter out there since SF2 on the SNES I didn't want to miss out.

I'm no pro or even good I just spam when playing fighters (with some moves I already know like fireball and dragon punch) and only play against noobs like me :D, but I really like 3rd strike from what I've been playing so far.

Parrying is really tricky. I thought once you parry something the game will automatically parry the rest of the combo for you but when I learned that no you have to parry each move individually my head nearly exploded when I remembered Diago's infamous video (which was the most impressive fighting video I've seen even before learning about this!!) seriously that guy has got to be a machine sent in from the future to do that with that much discipline and concentration :D

The game got great music and great animation. Would've really liked to see M.bison here but oh well.

I've seen that video, Daigo just blocks all of Chun li's lightning kick super... was awe inspiring... the crowd when wild when he even won the match with a sliver of health! That is skill!

Dascu

DarkoMaledictus said:

3s runs just fine on GGPO.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
arstal said:
Well, all games have lag online. 3S has additional issues due to resource requirements, but a decent comp and connection solves much of it.

K thanks... I'll give it a try... will probably get destroyed after some people playing for over 10 years... the style is so different from sf2 and 4...

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
DarkoMaledictus said:
K thanks... I'll give it a try... will probably get destroyed after some people playing for over 10 years... the style is so different from sf2 and 4...

SF4 is closer to a 3d fighter then a 2d.

My SF4 protest game is HDR personally.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
arstal said:
SF4 is closer to a 3d fighter then a 2d.

My SF4 protest game is HDR personally.

Not my thing HDR, they changed some little things that really nag me, and the animation is such shit compared to sf3... Graphics are HD yes, but they should of concentrate on the animation while at the same time retaining the timings...

Sf4 is still the best 3d rendition of a 2d game... its the game that made me want to play sf again since 2... and it re-introduced me to sf3... the missing link for me ;)!

hiro4

Best SF game IMO.

I really came into SF with SF Alpha 2 on the Saturn, but SFIII, 3rd strike on Dreamcast blew my mind.

Originally I didn't love the cast, since they weren't all that recognizable, but after a few rounds with some friends I totally fell in love with Dudley, Ibuki, Makoto and even characters like Q and Urien were a total blast to play with.

Sometimes I just connect my Dreamcast to play this game with friends.

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
hiro4 said:
Best SF game IMO.

I really came into SF with SF Alpha 2 on the Saturn, but SFIII, 3rd strike on Dreamcast blew my mind.

Originally I didn't love the cast, since they weren't all that recognizable, but after a few rounds with some friends I totally fell in love with Dudley, Ibuki, Makoto and even characters like Q and Urien were a total blast to play with.

Sometimes I just connect my Dreamcast to play this game with friends.

That's one of the beauties of sprite based games, they do not get old. Polygonal games tend to age baddly, but a good looking cartoon style game always seems new!

ArjanN

DarkoMaledictus said:
That's one of the beauties of sprite based games, they do not get old. Polygonal games tend to age baddly, but a good looking cartoon style game always seems new!

I think that was more true during the early days of 3D.

Nowadays 3D can have the same level of detail as 2D, and you still have the versatility of 3D.

DarkoMaledictus said:

:lol

Come on now, I realize some of you may not have been alive at the time; but it was a long road from this:

2ds4npg.jpg

to this:

vd1w0g.png

I still have fondness for classics like Wizard of Wor and Yar's Revenge; but they're a far cry from modern 2D visuals.

Enk

makes good threads.
Holy grandma's sagging milk bags! 3rd Strike works great on GGPO! Lots of people to fight, good speeds, works well with the 360 TE stick, supports Samurai Shodown 2 and Last Blade! Though judging from recent fights, I am really, really rusty with SF3. Think I might slide over the XBOX version and train for a bit.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Thought this got bumped because of the announcement :lol

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Which console port of 3rd Strike is considered definitive? PS2 or Dreamcast?

Do both suffer from aliasing issues? Any differences elsewhere?

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Enk said:
Holy grandma's sagging milk bags! 3rd Strike works great on GGPO! Lots of people to fight, good speeds, works well with the 360 TE stick, supports Samurai Shodown 2 and Last Blade! Though judging from recent fights, I am really, really rusty with SF3. Think I might slide over the XBOX version and train for a bit.

indeed :) works great with my custom stick too :D

gr1mmj0w=g35twinturbo

293y7ix.jpg

;)

Cataferal said:
Which console port of 3rd Strike is considered definitive? PS2 or Dreamcast?

Do both suffer from aliasing issues? Any differences elsewhere?

They use the ps2 version for tournaments that's all I know.

RS4-

If you're not playing at the arcade, you play on the ps2. DC has fucked up timing.

On GGPO right now: YellowS4

vgachi57

RS4- said:
If you're not playing at the arcade, you play on the ps2. DC has fucked up timing.

On GGPO right now: YellowS4
ditto on that. parrying feels weird on the dreamcast. and on that note, we still play 3rd strike on ps2 during lunch at work. still good to this day.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
ohhthegore said:
I've never tried this game but you've got me in the mood, time to find me a copy
Do it!

Top Bottom