• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter : 3rd Strike SUPER appreciation thread

ShaneB

abstract alien said:
^^^^^^^^^^^
Good lord...

The years this game(along with SFII) have lasted is still astonishing in this age. I always sit the Mario and SF franchise right next to each other because of how well the tend to stand the test of time while still remaining relevant when new entries arrive.

This is why I'm excited to finally be able to jump in and play 3rd Strike. Missed it for various reasons, but it's amazing to see how long some games stay relevant. True testament to how incredible it is.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
ShaneB said:
This is why I'm excited to finally be able to jump in and play 3rd Strike. Missed it for various reasons, but it's amazing to see how long some games stay relevant. True testament to how incredible it is.

Oddly enough, the only place it is dead is in the US fighting scene. Which is a damned shame. Eh, no dignity and all that.

ShaneB said:
Yep. It will makes me wonder what we will see out of SF4 in 6 or 7 years time, as both II, Super and Third Strike almost look like completely different games when played on the higher tournament level they are today.

ShaneB

Kintaro said:
Oddly enough, the only place it is dead is in the US fighting scene. Which is a damned shame. Eh, no dignity and all that.

We're very much a here and now society. 3rd Strike might be awesome, but to the gaming public, it's largely irrelavent because it's not easily accesible (not on current systems, no online, etc etc), things which are being remedied obviously.

abstract alien said:
Yep. It will makes me wonder what we will see out of SF4 in 6 or 7 years time, as both II, Super and Third Strike almost look like completely different games when played on the higher tournament level they are today.

Yeah, it's always fun to see progression and to continually learn. Weird to think that SF4 is 2+ years old already.

Azure J

Grzi said:

Oh man, I haven't watched it yet, but high level 3S play is just so awesome to watch. It's a shame that I can't find any good venues or streams of it to watch though. Marvel & SSFIV are their own kinds of hype, but I'd love it if I could find more good 3s stuff. (I'd also love to see some Darkstalkers 3, but since that's off topic...)

Grzi

AzureJericho said:
Oh man, I haven't watched it yet, but high level 3S play is just so awesome to watch. It's a shame that I can't find any good venues or streams of it to watch though. Marvel & SSFIV are their own kinds of hype, but I'd love it if I could find more good 3s stuff. (I'd also love to see some Darkstalkers 3, but since that's off topic...)

Well, it's not a streaming site, but here's THE youtube channel for 3rd Strike. It's updated almost daily, mostly with Japanese matches.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheShend

54-46!

_dementia said:
Karsticles posted this link in the Marvel thread. E3 reveal? Hype!
H75xN.jpg

Do I want them re balance? I don't know.. there are two choices, alienate the arcade crowd by introducing a new version with proper balance or use the same game and keep the scene intact.

I really don't want them to add new art assets, high res stuff of the original portraits exists so there's no need to mess with that. The music should remain the same, or at least be there as an option if they decide to introduce remixes.

RedSwirl

_dementia said:
Karsticles posted this link in the Marvel thread. E3 reveal? Hype!

After going back to play the game for a minute, I hope that new content includes an actual tutorial for the game, because I just remembered that despite being one of my favorite games, I can't play Third Strike worth shit.

Are those Ken and Alex's new win quote images?

Looks like they're using the original VS screen portrait art. I hope they're scanned in higher resolution.

TheOGB

Banned
Can't wait to
get bodied while attempting to
wreck shit with Alex again.

h3ro said:
I never had a chance to play SFIII, looking forward to OE. I love the soundtrack.

Jazzy NYC '99 > *
Yep.

Dai101 said:
IF I SEE THAT FUCKING BLANKA ONE MORE TIME ...
You will see it every time from now until the end of eternity

I think that's simply a mock up of some different styles/artwork that's been used throughout SF history.

The top left Chun-Li piece is a well-known fanart by Artgerm.

TaKeRx

I just played 3rd strike for the first time and I really really like it. The only problem I'm having is that SSF4 has babied me in input shortcuts and it can be annoying when I'm trying to go for supers or even simple special moves and nothing coming out.... Strangely though, that's what's making me come back to the game.

TaKeRx said:
I just played 3rd strike for the first time and I really really like it. The only problem I'm having is that SSF4 has babied me in input shortcuts and it can be annoying when I'm trying to go for supers or even simple special moves and nothing coming out.... Strangely though, that's what's making me come back to the game.

Well that's nice to hear. People I've talked to think that the relative strictness of this game is going to scare people away.

I've played SF3 a lot in the past, but I've never seriously tried to learn the game to play it on a competitive level. So this will be an interesting journey for me to transition from SF4 to SF3. It's going to be a bitch though, as this game is just no where near as easy to play as SF4 is. It's going to be funny to see people try SF4 stuff and see it not work in this game.

Top Bottom