• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter : 3rd Strike SUPER appreciation thread

Did you guys know that 3rd Strike (and 2nd Impact and New Generation) have a built in widescreen option. I think they played around with the roms and found this. It's pretty wild, and it looks awesome having that much screen. I really, really hope they enable this for the port.

If I weren't at work I'd find youtube videos showing off what I'm talking about.

Arpharmd B said:
Did you guys know that 3rd Strike (and 2nd Impact and New Generation) have a built in widescreen option. I think they played around with the roms and found this. It's pretty wild, and it looks awesome having that much screen. I really, really hope they enable this for the port.

If I weren't at work I'd find youtube videos showing off what I'm talking about.
Actually, Widescreen is only in 2nd Impact (Arcade).
Widescreen was removed from the Dreamcast port of 2nd Impact and no version of New Generation or 3rd Strike (Arcade or otherwise) has any widescreen at all.

Arpharmd B said:

Hmm, interesting if so. I known in MAME for 2nd Impact there's a widescreen option that looks great.

As for wanting the backgrounds from New Gen. and 2nd Impact...yeah, I agree, but I think it would be a bit strange to have them all in one game as they look so different compared to 3S's prerendered backgrounds. Maybe a toggle option for the backgrounds to be NG/2I or 3S.

Stylo

I hope it supports custom soundtracks like MvC2. I'd love to hear some of 2nd Impact's tracks again. I agree with everyone wanting 2nd Impact stages. They're simply great!

They confirmed 3S online isn't going to have any balance done, right?

Breaks my heart that a character like Chun that is retard easy and BORING to watch is going to run the show again.

zlatko

Banned
Stylo said:
I hope it supports custom soundtracks like MvC2. I'd love to hear some of 2nd Impact's tracks again. I agree with everyone wanting 2nd Impact stages. They're simply great!

I read this comment and went to look up some footage of second impact online since I had never played it although I had played a lot of third strike. I was so blown away by the presentation of the game I saw in the videos. The stages are fantastic.

It'll be a shame if Capcom doesn't add in some second impact stages for fanservice.

_dementia said:
Actually, Widescreen is only in 2nd Impact (Arcade).
Widescreen was removed from the Dreamcast port of 2nd Impact and no version of New Generation or 3rd Strike (Arcade or otherwise) has any widescreen at all.

Demntia I'm like 99% positive it's in there. When they finally got got CPS3 emulation cracked, they played around with the rom, and it's in there. It's not -offically- supported in any way (did they even have widescreen monitors in 1999?), but you can hack it in, and it looks crazy.

I remember because it was the first time I've ever seen it, and it shocked me. They also found an incomplete version of Shin Akuma (complete with a different colored background).

I -could- be wrong, and you know your shit Dimentia, but I'm like 99.99901 percent sure. Anyways, this feature would look great on a widescreen monitor.

Vespa

New gen and 2i backgrounds in this and then you can have all my money and my first born. Oh, and add an option to use older character select portraits and menus- and now I'm getting greedy, the win/loose screens too please?

Remember these?:
SaOqX.jpg

So awesome.

Aah, such wonderfully crisp pixels.
sBKh3.png

l0ngy.png

qADmf.png

Love these stages!

Vespa said:
New gen and 2i backgrounds in this and then you can have all my money and my first born. Oh, and add an option to use older character select portraits and menus- and now I'm getting greedy, the win/loose screens too please?

Remember these?:
SaOqX.jpg

So awesome.

The art in these games is still f*cking AMAZING! God, it gives me an art boner. I would get an ass boner too, but for some reason I never viewed Elena in that light. :O

Aah, such wonderfully crisp pixels.
sBKh3.png

Love these stages!

Love! Love! Love Ken's stage.

Why am I bumping?

Two reasons:

http://www.youtube.com/TheShend

My head nearly exploded watching some of the amazing stuff on that channel!

C-ROYD TEACHES THIRD STRIKE YOUTUBE CHANNEL & NEW VIDEOS

DailyVacation

Neo Member
Ah, I love this game. The sound of a parry gives me a shiver of delight! To the foreign observer it seems but a second, but for a 3S enthusiast, a parry is a moment of contemplation.

DailyVacation said:
Ah, I love this game. The sound of a parry gives me a shiver of delight! To the foreign observer it seems but a second, but for a 3S enthusiast, a parry is a moment of contemplation.

Parrying is still beyond me, mostly due to my lack of regular play in the game. Though I'm aware of how it works and LOVE to see it put to use.

IPW has a nice match between Mov and some French guy. Great watching Dudley parry the hits in an SBK. SOOOO GOOD! :3

Calcaneus

Vespa said:
So with you on this. I remember having the strategy guide for new gen, and being blown away just looking at everything they put into it. 3S is great, but I love the stages and all the little touches from the other two.

Tizoc

Dunno about you guys but IMO, SF3: 2I isn't 'broken' from what some on the net say. After playing it for a while, I notice that just about every character can do a 50% combo (for one thing).
Now NG, yeah I can accept if it's broken, Ryu and Oro infinites FTW.

Speaking of which if they somehow manage to release NG and 2I along with 3S, I'd pretty much main-
NG: Oro (DAT INFINITE)
2I: Elena, Sean & Urien (yeah I know he's low tier but i wanna try and see what can be done with him)
3S: Elena, Alex, Ryu, Q and 12 (12 cuz nobody plays him =()

Ratba

Unconfirmed Member
Mister Wilhelm said:
Whenever I play 3rd Strike and go back to SF4 or MVC games I try to parry fireballs.

Whenever I play 3rd Strike and go back to SF4 I wish I COULD parry all them fireballs.

Mister Wilhelm said:
Whenever I play 3rd Strike and go back to SF4 or MVC games I try to parry fireballs.

You should see how many fireballs I've walked into in other games and people think they're just so good. Then I often kick their asses through teary eyes... teary over street fighter with no parry.

The Take Out Bandit said:
Parrying is still beyond me, mostly due to my lack of regular play in the game. Though I'm aware of how it works and LOVE to see it put to use.

IPW has a nice match between Mov and some French guy. Great watching Dudley parry the hits in an SBK. SOOOO GOOD! :3

After you poke mash down, if you flash blue, do stuff, otherwise go back to previous stuff. Also when at neutral position randomly mash down, you'll eventually get a blue flash, then do stuff! Parries actually take away from the ground game more than give to it. Don't think to hard about it, just mash them downs/forwards!

Also because of parries, 3s players love to wake up OS parry/throw or not block. Take advantage of this by doing meaty throws and dashbacks to punish wake up OS parry throws. Ex: you knock someone down as ken. On their wakeup, dash back, if you see a throw whiff then do cr. mk xx SA3.

Azure J

Getting off a parry accidentally during a game in a clutch moment? After letting the shock of "whoawtfwasthat, awesome!" get out of your head and pull something off, you feel amazing. When you start to actually learn how parries work and begin getting them down pat, every match starts getting more and more tense but the payoff is so fucking good.

Parries are seriously some of the most satisfying shit in this game. Also, dat Elena. :lol

We're talking mains now? Honestly, the only one I've liked enough to go straight to when playing around with this game is Makoto, but that's because she's pretty much my favorite Street fighter in her 3rd Strike incarnation from overall design & gameplay design to animation. I'd love to try and master/get good with the classics (Ryu, Ken, and especially Chun with her godlike animations) then branch out to the SF3 members I've grown to like (Elena, Ibuki & Yun). Ibuki especially is shockingly amazing for me as a newbie.

Tizoc

AzureJericho said:
Parries are seriously some of the most satisfying shit in this game. Also, dat Elena. :lol
Too bad she's one of the weakest characters in 3S, and rarely shows up in Japanese matches =(
...but hey I've always had a thing for using low tiered characters.

allreal said:
Is it really? Is there a source? Can't tell if serious.
Source is Ono. He's discussed it and leaked development photos on twitter. Additionally, Capcom unity had an official contest to get your fan art in the game.

Vespa

The Take Out Bandit said:
The art in these games is still f*cking AMAZING! God, it gives me an art boner. I would get an ass boner too, but for some reason I never viewed Elena in that light. :O

Amen. Art for these games is phenomenal, shame that SF4 dropped the ball imo, those polygon picture character 'illustrations' make me ill.

More backgrounds:

npXHN.png

xlVBj.png

(love the ninjas in this, playing ibuki on this stage ftw!)

OWLS5.png

ccZAR.png

(I wonder if this is the outside of Akuma's alpha/zero stage?)

Lnr8O.png

I4Zfe.png

4cpGa.png

0fdiv.png

A07kc.png

5FDLm.png

BONUS ROUND

di32v.png

Pya6L.png

QEWOb.png

^Giant attack poster in Hugo's stage :D
10016801.jpg

Imagine them all in one game, FUUUUU!

Clott

I appreciate all the work you put in this topic, if it was rereleased for the current consoles I would indulge.

One of those stages seriously doesn't belong. The monolith one... Gill's 2I stage I'm guessing? All those awesome, awesome pixel drawn stages with forced perspective and then a bland, boring, dithered render à la 1993. Did they run out of time on that one or did they put it there just to highlight the awesomeness of the rest?

I seem to recall NG having an awesome Gill stage, why not just reuse that?

Azure J

Vespa said:
Amen. Art for these games is phenomenal, shame that SF4 dropped the ball imo, those polygon picture character 'illustrations' make me ill.

More backgrounds:

npXHN.png

Lnr8O.png

These remind me of a comment my younger sis (15 & heavy into visual design) made when I first started playing the SFIII series of games recently. She told me that she loves "Capcom cities" because they're so well done and colorful. I couldn't do anything more than agree. :)

Zissou

I love seeing this thread randomly pop up. It really single-handedly got me into fighting games. I wonder if LakeEarth knows the impact he's had, lol.

Mileena

Banned
Those backgrounds in HD would look better than pretty much every current gen fighting game that isn't BlazBlue. What the hell happened to Capcom? :(

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Zissou said:
I love seeing this thread randomly pop up. It really single-handedly got me into fighting games. I wonder if LakeEarth knows the impact he's had, lol.
I feel the same way. Nothing but love for this game and it deserves all the appreciation a game can get.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Good lord...

The years this game(along with SFII) have lasted is still astonishing in this age. I always sit the Mario and SF franchise right next to each other because of how well the tend to stand the test of time while still remaining relevant when new entries arrive.

Top Bottom