• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter 6 is releasing in 2023

Bridges

Fucking sake the SF6 commentary was so terrible. Hope there is an option to disable. You can't even listen the music/chars.
You can turn it off

Which is great because I agree with you, conceptually it was not a bad idea but the execution is terrible. Watching footage of it you can already hear repeated quotes in just the second match. I dunno who's gonna leave that turned on.

I'm in either way, but hopefully you can toggle the facial expressions on the Vs screen or limit the number someone can show on your end. Cycling through them quickly looks pretty cheap and takes away all of the polish put on it.

yurinka

Did someone who went to that press event mentioned something about how did the input lag feel?

Last edited:
Jesus what a random ass rant over nothing.

For clarification since it appears its needed, Chun Li looks thin and ill compared to her prior incarnations, mainly V since its the latest which perfected her look from Street Fighter II.

eab9dc82c0a3b0668221f45f410b1bdb

Vs

Street-Fighter-V-Chun-Li.jpg

I would have put it down to an overarching change of art style but now with the guile reveal Chun Li is the only character to look like she's lost muscle (as unbelievable as it might seem even her thighs are thinner compared to IV and V) Ryu's on the other hand has put on some (again).

So she just looks off to me, it could be the fact she's got an actual Asian skin colour too... but again... Ryu hasent, so it just makes her stand out as ill.

I am still at a loss over some comment assuming I'm comparing street fighter to real life body proportions and not the rest of the game series. Its fucking Street Fighter.

I mean, it's also several years later and women tend to lose muscle mass faster than men once they hit past 40, so if you're looking at it from a semi-realistic standpoint it makes some sense.

Plus I'm pretty sure dudes like Guile are on those 'roids or at least creatine supplements; Chun seems too self-respecting for that and sticks with eating real protein.

So, from the information released so far, it seems SF6 gameplay will be entirely designed to appeal to a very casual audience, in order to get as many SF5 stream- and tournament spectators who don't participate in the game themselves, on board. Since SF6's - like SF5's - marketing will rely heavily on the tournament-streaming-scene, Capcom Cup and the likes, and their main revenue target will be online micro-transactions (constumes, characters, season passes etc.), they want to make sure any casual can have some of the experience "the good players" experience (winning, flashy combo's, hype moments) by making the game as casual as fuck. That's why they've introduced the "hold button" parry system and this god-awful auto commentating feature.

I predict that SF6 is not gonna be a real fighting game, but merely an easily consumable service product. Basically it's gonna be a oldskool (skillbased, no aim asist, etc.) vs. modern CoD shooter (easily to consume, execute, with auto aim, regeneration health, etc.) situation.

Not just SF but all fighting games have been trending to being more beginner-friendly for years. Even SFIV was easier to get into vs. the SFIII games, they just didn't mention anything about the insane number of one-frame links and plinking (so they made SFIV both more friendly at the floor level than SFIII but more difficult at the ceiling level for top players to reach, somehow).

I personally wouldn't have an issue with 3S-level of input leniency or juggle system, hitboxes etc. but I've been playing that game for years. The vast majority of newer fighting game players have not genuinely played fighters like that, even some of the old-school pros still at it with the modern games haven't seriously played old ones like 3S in years, they would be a bit rusty picking it back up today. It is what it is. If there's enough hidden depth for more experienced players to master then that'll be a great thing, and with enough there to make it friendlier for newcomers means new blood can keep coming in to keep the scene fresh.

Yeah if there are more post-Super combo opportunities like this for all the characters (including maybe combos to string multiple weaker Supers together), I'm gonna be pretty happy.

Last edited:

Fake

You can turn it off

Which is great because I agree with you, conceptually it was not a bad idea but the execution is terrible. Watching footage of it you can already hear repeated quotes in just the second match. I dunno who's gonna leave that turned on.

I watch the IGN video and I even believe that was some IGN doing the commentary.

Is really that bad.

KO7

Are most recent projections figuring this to be released in the first quarter of 2023? Seems to be further along in development than most of us anticipated right?

Interesting; I wonder what "perfect timing" means in this context, though? We know what the Sonic Boom command input is, does "perfect timing" mean pushing forward & a Punch button exactly after a 2-second charge, or does it mean something else?

I like that you can get extra properties for moves without using Drive meter in a way that rewards dexterity, but I'm still not sure what perfect timing means outside of during a blockstring, combo or juggle. Like, just the move on its own, what does "perfect timing" mean in that way?

kunonabi

Interesting; I wonder what "perfect timing" means in this context, though? We know what the Sonic Boom command input is, does "perfect timing" mean pushing forward & a Punch button exactly after a 2-second charge, or does it mean something else?

I like that you can get extra properties for moves without using Drive meter in a way that rewards dexterity, but I'm still not sure what perfect timing means outside of during a blockstring, combo or juggle. Like, just the move on its own, what does "perfect timing" mean in that way?
in this case I do believe it is charging for the exact right amount of time instead of overcharging. Non-charge moves would probably be more like Dan's stuff in SFV where you press the final direction and the button at the exact same time. Despite playing other fighters with just-frame stuff I'm not so sure about it for SFVI. Although having actual execution demands is better than nothing. Personally, I'd hope there is more variety to these "Perfect moves" than just frame perfect stuff. I mean you have standard motion moves, mash moves, 360s, raging demon inputs, etc. so it could be interesting if they came up with something unique for the various methods.

She hasn't been a little girl since 1992 TBH 😜

in this case I do believe it is charging for the exact right amount of time instead of overcharging. Non-charge moves would probably be more like Dan's stuff in SFV where you press the final direction and the button at the exact same time. Despite playing other fighters with just-frame stuff I'm not so sure about it for SFVI. Although having actual execution demands is better than nothing. Personally, I'd hope there is more variety to these "Perfect moves" than just frame perfect stuff. I mean you have standard motion moves, mash moves, 360s, raging demon inputs, etc. so it could be interesting if they came up with something unique for the various methods.

Hmm...in that case then I'm kinda half-and-half on it. I do like the idea of it, but it's going to cut into charge buffering and charge partitioning which are both high-level techniques for charge characters in these games. I'd like it so that at least charge partitioning still got you a similar benefit to what it seems like this "perfect timing" stuff will be like going by things.

Again I do like the idea conceptually and I can see it having uses in practice (it will probably also help cut down on annoying turtling with charge characters), but I hope it's flexible enough to where you can still charge buffer & charge partition and get the same benefit as long as you time it to exactly two seconds overall. Being able to do more with "Perfect Moves" would be cool, too. Like being able to do better combos, or them being useful for resets, corner setups, okizemi etc.

why is it coming for PS4 and PS4Pro but not Xbone and Xbone X?

Partly because PS4/PS4 Pro have a much larger install base that isn't transitioning to PS5 as quickly as XBO/One X base has to the Series consoles (for a variety of reasons, but mainly due to supply constraints).

Partly also because the dev tool environment between XBO/One X and Xbox Series is a LOT different due to the GDK changing almost everything up; comparatively PS5 basically uses an iterated version of the PS4 SDK tools with PS5 features added through new API calls, so it's a lot more straightforward.

Naked Lunch

This 'hold in a button to parry everything' sounds incredible dumb, casual, and scrubby.
Please tell me im missing something with that - because on the surface it sounds game breakingly too easy.
In the video above it seems they are parrying everything every 2 seconds.

kunonabi

This 'hold in a button to parry everything' sounds incredible dumb, casual, and scrubby.
Please tell me im missing something with that - because on the surface it sounds game breakingly too easy.
The hold parry doesn't give much advantage so I think it's mostly just for avoiding drive meter loss from regular blocking and not actually getting a big counter most of the time. Might be a little handier for grapplers though if command grabs are still fast.

OsirisBlack

Banned

watching the video the only intelligent guess I could make is pressing forward and punch at the exact same time as he charged longer than necessary.

Cyberpunk vibes.

What? No. Not even close.

I know there is the "easy" parry and the "perfect parry", the latter is supposed to give more benefits. Also IIRC the easy-mode parry depletes Drive meter?

watching the video the only intelligent guess I could make is pressing forward and punch at the exact same time as he charged longer than necessary.

Hm, so that would suggest there is input leniency for charge moves. I'm guessing the three-frame buffer window might still be present in SFVI but as an "easing" system for newer players to take advantage of.

But, you can be as precise with inputs (and timing) as in games like SFIV and 3S and you are rewarded for doing so.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Crisp gameplay, no commentary

Yo I was already in for day 1 but this shit looks amazing. The defensive options look as good as the offensive options and the ways in which they can be used even at first glance are amazing. You can parry the Crushing blow or Counter crushing blow their crushing, blow or Attack the crushing blow twice and then react parry or hit them then react crushing blow its fucking nuts. Or you can just blow that shit up with a perfect parry. Look at the 2:59 mark in this video for the crushing counter gameplay its pretty damn nice and I bet it feels satisfying as shit. Wonder if you can use the meter to dash out of the crushing counter hit.

Edited to respond to thicc

Yea perfect parry is the one that freezes the screen and blows them up gives you like 10 free frames to just punish the shit out of them.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm so hyped after watching Max streams. So happy this is back on xbox where I have all my arcade sticks. Will be there day one like SF V didn't happen.

nbkicker

From endless hrs of preview videos on youtube, ive seen of this game so far, got to admit i cant wait to get hold of this game now, graphically looks brilliant, love the charachter selection screen , plus all charachters shown so far look great to me, been playing street fighter since the first arcade in late 80s, and grew to love all them i have played since, so have faith capcom can deliver.

nbkicker

Considering both sf5 and tekken 7 released the same yr, but tekken producer said he dont like having announcements or releasing game at same time as streetfighter, now wondering if later in yr we get a tekken 8 announcement then next yr sf6 feb/mar with a sep/oct tekken 8, 2023 could be a good yr for fighting games

kunonabi

What's the situation with chip kills without super? I could see the parry acting as protection the way you can V-Reversal Critical Arts when you don't have enough health to cover the gray damage in SFV.
I believe chip kills only occur when you're in burn-out from running out of drive meter but I think all specials and super do chip kills now. At least I'd hope so anyway.

Fake

Amazing how Street Fighter with Mortal Kombat style graphics, animate about 100 times better than MK.

Thats how graphics don't matter in fightning games.

The important is the animation and how the game plays.

Fake

Graphics do matter if you still want to sell your game to the casual audiencie. MvCI comes to mind.

Are Guitly Gear graphics related?

Because have been asking a SF like that since ages.

Graphics are important IF the characters are based in real life person. SF started pretty much with cartoon/anime.

Mortal Kombat in the other hand make a little sense since the first MK use real actors.

Last edited:
Yo I was already in for day 1 but this shit looks amazing. The defensive options look as good as the offensive options and the ways in which they can be used even at first glance are amazing. You can parry the Crushing blow or Counter crushing blow their crushing, blow or Attack the crushing blow twice and then react parry or hit them then react crushing blow its fucking nuts. Or you can just blow that shit up with a perfect parry. Look at the 2:59 mark in this video for the crushing counter gameplay its pretty damn nice and I bet it feels satisfying as shit. Wonder if you can use the meter to dash out of the crushing counter hit.

It's really good to see; should ensure the depth is there for the pro players and just messing around with this stuff will be fun for casuals.

Yea perfect parry is the one that freezes the screen and blows them up gives you like 10 free frames to just punish the shit out of them.

Oh, that sounds even better/more powerful than I was first thinking.

Found this online Twitter, eventhubs,official site
hQo8QlS.jpg

Mika?

rmika-sfv-buttslap-e1449665272846.jpg

Lezzgoooo!!!

Battle damage

Guile's air hurricane

Guile with the anti-air tools all day every day. I bet he can probably combo a Flash Kick with that.

Amazing how Street Fighter with Mortal Kombat style graphics, animate about 100 times better than MK.

Netherrealm fighters have always had the stiffest animations to me; MK 11 made some improvements but then you see their crouching kick and punch and it just looks goofy.

But there's also the lack of meaty key-frame hits that sell the impact of some hits too, in a stylized way. But I notice that a lot in most Western games and animated stuff that aren't comedies, it's not limited to Netherrealm.

[Sigma]

I don't play MK games these days past the first month because of the way the moves animate. It just bothers the heck out of me after a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: PJX
I don't play MK games these days past the first month because of the way the moves animate. It just bothers the heck out of me after a while.
MK is wildly inconsistent as far as animations go. One thing I absolutely loved about SFV was it's animations. They were so well done, and transitions from one move to the next were pretty seamless. Not only did that make combos looks so much more organic, but the way animations interacted was huge. There are differences between certain attacks if they are blocked, versus them hitting. Take Oro for example. If you do crouching HK and the opponent blocks, the animation doesn't finish. It stops at the point of the block and recoils. If you hit, the animation follows through and whips back around. SFV did a number of nice things that helped animations transition well, which made combat look like a flow instead of some strange instance of one move to the next with no visual context.

Last edited:

Venza

Banned
Chun Li’s redesign is one of my favorites in gaming. The dress and blue bodysuit combo is perfection. I know the anti woke crowd are crying censorship as if they know what that word even means. I know they would prefer her looking like this instead.

Fake

Chun Li’s redesign is one of my favorites in gaming. The dress and blue bodysuit combo is perfection. I know the anti woke crowd are crying censorship as if they know what that word even means. I know they would prefer her looking like this instead.

IMO you're overeacting too much. Just the face people complain about, not the body. This new Chun Li is actually pretty good, just the face that seen a little of.

BTW, sexy sell, so fans will make sexy fanarts anw. If the leaks are true the chinese assassin woman will be as sexy as the older woman fighters.

SFV is mega sexy, but even still I totally skipped because plays like trash for me.

kunonabi

Yeah, I haven't heard any complaints about Chun aside from the face either and that's just a problem with Capcom's 3D work in general these days. Hell, Ryu suffers from the same problem. Cammy is the only one I see getting any complaints since they bent the knee for the "Cammy must wear pants" crowd.

Venza

Banned
IMO you're overeacting too much. Just the face people complain about, not the body. This new Chun Li is actually pretty good, just the face that seen a little of.

BTW, sexy sell, so fans will make sexy fanarts anw. If the leaks are true the chinese assassin woman will be as sexy as the older woman fighters.

SFV is mega sexy, but even still I totally skipped because plays like trash for me.

Yeah, I haven't heard any complaints about Chun aside from the face either and that's just a problem with Capcom's 3D work in general these days. Hell, Ryu suffers from the same problem. Cammy is the only one I see getting any complaints since they bent the knee for the "Cammy must wear pants" crowd.

I have seen people mainly complain about Cammy wearing pants for once. The Chun Li criticisms are just silly and though. This game is clearly not as horny as SF5.

Top Bottom