• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V patch releasing March 28th, Alex on the 30th, more info

ElFly

Do you gain 2x the points for winning the runback?

It just pays like a regular match, even considering the new difference in league group (bronze vs silver etc) if there was a change in league group in the previous match.

The speed in winning LP comes from stringing more matches faster, since matchmaking is super slow, and the rematch also obviates the need for loading times too.

BiggNife

Do you gain 2x the points for winning the runback?

No. Every match is treated like a regular match in terms of points.

Also, if a player ranks down in the first match, you will get less points for beating him in the second match just as you would if you fought him randomly.

Bethell

As someone who has never played a fighting game, but is intriguied after watching streams, is this worth picking up now and playing? Or wait until its cheaper?

I feel like I should maybe pay £10 for the old version and train/practice for a while, otherwise Im just gonna get gimped in SFV and probably stop playing after 1 day.

No. Every match is treated like a regular match in terms of points.

Also, if a player ranks down in the first match, you will get less points for beating him in the second match just as you would if you fought him randomly.

Yea that's what I tried to say. You gain points for each match.

BiggNife

As someone who has never played a fighting game, but is intriguied after watching streams, is this worth picking up now and playing? Or wait until its cheaper?

I feel like I should maybe pay £10 for the old version and train/practice for a while, otherwise Im just gonna get gimped in SFV and probably stop playing after 1 day.

I would say maybe wait until June when the full story mode is out, because it'll probably be discounted at that point. The challenge tutorials are certainly way better than what they at launch in terms of beginner tools but it's still pretty light in terms of overall content.

e: They'll probably have some other important stuff ironed out by that point too, like real ragequit penalties and single fight vs cpu.

entremet

Wait until June. That's when the cinematic story mode comes out and arcade ladder would be out presumbaly. It will be cheaper then too.

It's still too barebones even with the update.

Hustler

Mostly everyone has agreed to it that I've played. It's easier to rank up, but I've been much gone up and down just the same, it's just much faster now.

I guess with one of those win streaks though, you could potentially get like 500lp in an half hour.

It's true. I like 2/3 games because it gives the opportunity to gain back the lp you just lost at a gamble, you could lose 2x as much.

I played for 20 min this morning before work, had two silver players back to back who did 2/3 games and I won 4 in a row. Went up ~300lp. Feels good.

I lost 120lp the next two games....

Hex

Banned

Pick it up now.
You will get the story and add ons free anyway, but the practice and progress that you will get in the mean time is priceless.
Dive in, play with the community get beat, beat on others but learn and continue to learn.
Learning takes practice, and practice takes time.
You have a great community of people here, some great resources and it is a great time with everyone learning.

Bethell

Pick it up now.
You will get the story and add ons free anyway, but the practice and progress that you will get in the mean time is priceless.
Dive in, play with the community get beat, beat on others but learn and continue to learn.
Learning takes practice, and practice takes time.
You have a great community of people here, some great resources and it is a great time with everyone learning.

Tempted. But the "bare bones" everyone says makes me wanna keep my money in my wallet.. hm.

what resources are you referring to? I wanna know where to look to get better.

Tempted. But the "bare bones" everyone says makes me wanna keep my money in my wallet.. hm.

Wait until June the overall package will be more enticing for you, since you're a newcomer and all.

Are you playing on PC?

It entirely depends on what you want to get out of a fighting game

If you're interested from streams that's PvP, that aspect of the game is solid. The "bare bones" complaints mostly come from lack of single player content (traditional arcade mode is replaced by Survival mode, which is structured pretty poorly difficulty wise)

Arcade mode is good if you want to just beat on a CPU and get used to characters but really won't help much when it comes to actual players. You're better off learning characters in training mode and getting better with every fight (losses especially)

I haven't tried the new update (will today) but apparently the challenges teach some core combos so that will be helpful. If you've legitimately never played a fighting game ever (arcade or even console years ago) I can't really comment on how hard it is to grasp the controls. Either way SFV is a great game on the fighting side of things and can only get better with free updates.

Don't know how much you've been watching streams but if you're seeing stuff with commentary (tournaments) hopefully you're able to absorb even basic fundamental stuff. Patience is a huge one that took me a long time to start getting (used to just think you had to constantly be on someone, but it's actually better to sort of wait and let the opponent crack/phase themselves out under the pressure to do something)

Helpful folks who will look at your play and offer tips that you can work on/watch for ideas. The easy recording functionality of V is a godsent for this.

And on the one hand itll be more added to and Steam sales will appear but on the other its sooooooooo goooooooooood to play.

Either, I have both. Not sure whats best to buy it on?

I'd go PC if you want to crank up the resolution. It has cross play with PS4 so you can still play with anyone you want. If you're new to fighters I'd also recommend trying Killer Instinct too. Easy to get into and Dojo is an amazing explanation/tutorial of the game's mechanics.

Either, I have both. Not sure whats best to buy it on?

Honestly, and keep in mind, I say this as a HUGE fan of this game (it's easily one of the best fighting games gameplay wise in the history of the genre), i'm going to tell you - wait.

Sure, you'll be a little behind when you do decide to pick it up, but the combos are pretty easy to pick up, probably the easiest in the series. Fundamentals are what is really driving this game right now. Fundamentals & execution of course. The demonstrations & tutorials yesterday did a good job but I feel like you might get more for your money, and potentially more enjoyment, if you wait at least until the June update that is set to introduce the cinematic campaign.

If you're willing to trudge through what us early fans are going through, more power to ya. But I have the supreme confidence that this game will be far more approachable, and be far more fleshed, the longer you wait for it. It's aging like wine.

Hex

Banned
Helpful folks who will look at your play and offer tips that you can work on/watch for ideas. The easy recording functionality of V is a godsent for this.

And on the one hand itll be more added to and Steam sales will appear but on the other its sooooooooo goooooooooood to play.

This. It used to be hell to get your vids up without other equipment.
Now you can find good combo videos, good character breakdown videos, and you can put your matches out there for people to look at and give advice.
The new tutorial and combo challenge mode is great also.
Using the training room to your advantage, whether it is watching your inputs, or setting the cpu for certain moves or just turning it on AI and going at it.
But the community sharing videos and tech is something that makes it great.

Bethell

Honestly, and keep in mind, I say this as a HUGE fan of this game (it's easily one of the best fighting games gameplay wise in the history of the genre), i'm going to tell you - wait.

Sure, you'll be a little behind when you do decide to pick it up, but the combos are pretty easy to pick up, probably the easiest in the series. Fundamentals are what is really driving this game right now. Fundamentals & execution of course. The demonstrations & tutorials yesterday did a good job but I feel like you might get more for your money, and potentially more enjoyment, if you wait at least until the June update that is set to introduce the cinematic campaign.

If you're willing to trudge through what us early fans are going through, more power to ya. But I have the supreme confidence that this game will be far more approachable, and be far more fleshed, the longer you wait for it. It's aging like wine.

I see, thanks for the advise. I'll just go and read up and try learn what these fundamentals are. As for the June update, why are they waiting til then to release this stuff? What is even being released?

All the salty posters in this thread make me laugh. Some gamers just really don't enjoy gaming and it seems that they enjoy bitching more. If it isn't instant gratification it all sucks! Lol

This update is awesome and I'm happy to get 2 free costumes and Alex! Thanks Capcom!!!

I wish premium costumes were available for purchase on the PlayStation store. Now we have to wait for Capcom to get their shit together with the Zenny. I'm sure they have their reasons, but I'm still annoyed lol.

All the salty posters in this thread make me laugh. Some gamers just really don't enjoy gaming and it seems that they enjoy bitching more. If it isn't instant gratification it all sucks! Lol

This update is awesome and I'm happy to get 2 free costumes and Alex! Thanks Capcom!!!

As a sf noob its great help in finding new combos. And also the quick character guides seem great as an overview in understanding how all different vtriggers etc work. I didnt even know about Ryus one earlier, barely see ppl using it.

As a sf noob its great help in finding new combos. And also the quick character guides seem great as an overview in understanding how all different vtriggers etc work. I didnt even know about Ryus one earlier, barely see ppl using it.

Yea a lot of my noob SF friends are very happy with this update.

Now it's the time for all to jump in. I'm glad you are enjoying it as well.

I see, thanks for the advise. I'll just go and read up and try learn what these fundamentals are. As for the June update, why are they waiting til then to release this stuff? What is even being released?

June update should be some new stages, the cinematic single player campaign, and 3 of the dlc character should be released by then (current consensus says that will be Alex, Guile, Ibuki). Some of the other features that we are anticipating to be released by then, but we have no confirmation of, include CFN stability, Daily Challenges, Event Battles, and the Zenny store. There could be more features that launch between then & now, but theres no confirmation or even well-informed speculation as to what those may be.

As for why the wait - it's more a matter of a lot of content isn't fully tested & finished, and they are in the process of trying to complete development while also releasing content & updates to appease the current userbase. For example, one of the bigger complaints they got since launch was in regards to survival mode gating all the extra colors per character, and how they wish we could just buy colors from the store. One of the last minute announcements for the march update was that the previously japan exclusive color scheme would be released as purchasable content when the store launches tomorrow. However, we've learned through datamining that its more like 4 colors per character in the FM store, so its actually more than we previously anticipated.

Luckily, the gameplay is very accessible and jumping in should be possible at later points, since learning fundamentals and mental play is an ongoing process.

The trials suck because they're kinda useless in game. At least the later stage ones

A lot of them are like that in other games. They're more about figuring out the weird things you can do rather than being useful, it just happens that sometimes they are. There are a TON of useless meter-burning trials in, say, SFEX2+, and a lot of others that are legit useful even though they're more difficult.

markwaters

Neo Member
I'm really glad newer players are enjoying this update, but I'm a little disappointed in Capcom due to the lack of quality of the trials. A lot of the stuff they have you do in the trials is incredibly impractical/unoptimal and, with only a few exceptions, not more difficult than the optimal stuff. At the end of the day, it's still a good training tool to get new players used to executing combos, but I wish they would have just included optimal combos in the trials -- the optimal stuff was figured out pretty much by the 3rd beta, so there's not a good excuse for it.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
the necalli trials are BAD. jumping HK into HP into M disc? why would you ever do that if you've landed the HP and can go into a 5 hit meterless combo, while risking dropping a really tight unsafe link for a crappy amount of damage and being wide open?

Ferrio

Banned
Ya the trials are pretty bad, they're like the stuff you find the first day you play the game. So nothing interesting or optimal.

Ya the trials are pretty bad, they're like the stuff you find the first day you play the game. So nothing interesting or optimal.

Some of them are impractical, too. I think it's Ken's #9, which is a super crazy crush confirm off of c.HP, but almost impossible to do in a real match. They don't even go over Necalli's standard bnb of HP, MK stomp, c.MP, LP dash.

Trials are for beginners and all those casuals that cried for single player content. If you want to learn combos that are good for real matches. There's this thing called the capcom cup and YouTube.

Hyun Sai

It's very clear the trials are not for people who are playing this game since the relase and beyond.

At least, even if not optimized, they're not as dumb as many of the SFIV ones. Now that was something. I don't even talk about KoFXIII lol.

Top Bottom