• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Street Fighter V' will display optional in-game ads starting December 11th

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
If SF6 goes into these practices even harder it will be because consumers told Capcom that it was ok by not putting a stop to this now.

Spot on. I just wish gamers would stop sending them the necessary lube through the post...

Zog

Banned
This is ok, because I can turn it off. See the difference?

...and I hope you do. That would send them the message that you aren't willing to watch ads. You do realize that the option to turn them off is Capcom asking for your permission (this time), what you tell them will affect the future.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Just think how many won't turn it off, because they won't realise they can, or won't be able to find the option in the shitty menu system.

Nymphae

Banned
...and I hope you do. That would send them the message that you aren't willing to watch ads. You do realize that the option to turn them off is Capcom asking for your permission (this time), what you tell them will affect the future.

I had them on last night, but the FM gain isn't worth it really. As I said, they're giving you free money here essentially, I find it hard to complain about that, even when they reduced the rates. I am willing to try this stuff if it benefits me for a low cost, but in this case, it doesn't really.

Nymphae

Banned
Just think how many won't turn it off, because they won't realise they can, or won't be able to find the option in the shitty menu system.

It straight up tells you where you can do it when you boot after the update - the menus are not ideal, but let's be honest here, they tell you what you need to know. That said, it should absolutely be opt in not opt out.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Uhhhh...yeah it is. There’s a huge difference. I only booted one game just to see what it was like and eek. I’ll more than likely be opting out.

The notes claim there is no change in load times, and I didn't see any increased times last night. It's just full screen non animated ads, that isn't slowing anything down.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Pretty impressive how modern gaming made fighting games shit.

I like to buy complete games.

But now besides getting milked like a cashcow
I get FUCKING INGAME ADS TOO hahah.

Man this is some next level bullshit hahaha 🤣🤣

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Are they fucking serious? In game ads? I´d rather stop playing video games completely than support shit like this. Absolutely disgusting. Fuck you Capcom for even pulling a stunt like this!

Nymphae

Banned
But it sits on the ad screen. 😂😩

I'm not sure what your point is. I'm guessing as the game loads the versus screen, it simply adds a jpeg or whatever format the image is as well, which can't take very long seeing as its not video. If there is an increase in time it's so minor as to be imperceptible. That was my experience anyway.

xion4360

I played the demo, was kinda shocked by the ads in between every match! good you can turn it off but its weird its even there to begin with.

Uhtred

I weep for the next generation consoles and games.

We will see the most intrusive loot boxes, micro-transactions, incomplete games and now ads than ever before, all because we didn't unite and stand to fight it.

Fuz

Banned
...because acceptance of ads in loading screens affects everyone, not just the ones who still haven't learned that the game industry will take every inch that consumers allow.
Exactly, but you're wastingh your time. They're either not smart enough to understand it or they are trolling. In any case: waste of time.

Last edited:

Uhtred

Can you imagine a YouTube like ad at the beginning of a level or stage?

This chapter brought to you buy................................

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
The ad is displayed during the 'white screen', which is where most of the actual stage loading takes place.
This means loading times shouldn't be increased, on ps4 or pc to ps4 matches.
On PC and PC to PC matches however, loading times actually do increase by about ~.8 seconds, since the 'white screen' can be skipped almost entirely, the ad will force a few extra moments of unskippable time.
Verdict, if you are on PC, just turn them off, since even offline load times are now longer with them on (though I guess ~.8s isn't terrible). If you are on PS4, there shouldn't be any difference; keep them on if you want that extra bit of FM I guess.
50MB gifs comparison gallery:

thelastword

Banned
I hope the majority of the people complaining bought the game and are actively playing.....I just started the game after patching, went through the patch notes and played a few games with ads on...So far, I make an extra 4fm after every match.....The Ads only appear as your match loads for a few seconds, nothing too intrusive...If I'm creating youtube videos or streaming I can always turn it off. I don't see the big deal......

There was a time some posters were going on about SFV sales being so dire as if celebrating that it did not sell uber millions, they have found ways to keep this game on the circuit with costumes, seasons, capcom pro cup and now...a few non-intrusive ads and people are still losing their minds...It seems some people just wanted this game to fail outright......Yet instead it has held up and it's the most played fighting game all year, the one garnering the most interest with yet another pro cup in two days time...No other fighting game is as hype as SF, no other fighting games puts up the numbers as consistently as SF does....So I'm happy Capcom is finding ways to keep the fighting game with the most mindshare alive and well.....

I know I did my part, I have SFV on PS4 and PC and I also bought the season 1 pass on PS4....So far, I have every character in the game and I still have 700k fm....It's been over 6 months now that I don't even bother with grinding fm or care for the weekly challenges and extra battle etc...I could have had much more......All I do is play, I have close to 22,000 matches on PS4 and closer to 7000 on PC.....It's really not a big deal....

Fuz

Banned
Thankful you can turn it off.
Not completely.
(And that's not even the point, btw)
That's correct. The ads on the characters are essentially costumes. So if your opponent decides to wear the "Ad style" costume, you just have to deal with it.
I can't say for sure about the stage ads as I don't own any of the CPT stages.

And here's another one who barges in the thread without understanding what we're talking about.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Actually it seems I've made a slight error, I only looked at the white screen part.
The "before" gif I made was from a previous version of the game, and it seems they've improved loading times, on pc at least, by quite a bit.
I now tested the no ad setting myself, and the difference is 5 seconds offline, however online there doesn't seem to change much because of syncing and such.
New verdict, no changes to loading online matches on ps4 or pc; pc offline loads increase by 5 seconds.

Nymphae

Banned
Not completely.
(And that's not even the point, btw)

And here's another one who barges in the thread without understanding what we're talking about.

Not sure that's accurate, nor are the people in that thread

Y16mpd4.png

E2Jtgiz.png

If you go into Battle Setting and disable the ad content (all options and not picking the ad costume yourself), you will not see opponents with ads.

Last edited:

Takuan

Distasteful, but question: Can you eventually purchase *any* item with in-game currency? I haven't touched SFV in a long time, but my impression is that certain MT-locked content is premium and must be purchased with real dollars.

I don't have a problem with in-game ads if everything is made available to me with a reasonable time investment. Otherwise, Capcom can eat my ass with syrup or jelly.

Nymphae

Banned
Distasteful, but question: Can you eventually purchase *any* item with in-game currency? I haven't touched SFV in a long time, but my impression is that certain MT-locked content is premium and must be purchased with real dollars.

I don't have a problem with in-game ads if everything is made available to me with a reasonable time investment. Otherwise, Capcom can eat my ass with syrup or jelly.

For some reason there are a few items that are money only - the CPT stages, and a few costumes I think. It's really strange I think, because so much of the content is purchasable with FM, even the biggest ticket items like DLC characters.

Takuan

For some reason there are a few items that are money only - the CPT stages, and a few costumes I think. It's really strange I think, because so much of the content is purchasable with FM, even the biggest ticket items like DLC characters.
Cool. I think I'll log in tonight just to see if I still have FM. I was looking for a site that has a gallery of all costumes and came across a post on Reddit stating that Capcom revoked FM on users who used trainers. I totally did that, and I definitely wasn't subtle about it, so I expect to be greeted with a 0 balance after login. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Just to elaborate a bit - Characters, stages, certain colors and story costumes can be purchased with FM. Extra Battle has costumes you can "purchase" with FM by spending 2500 FM to beat an AI character each week for 4 weeks. Fighting Chance also offers a costume each week or two that can be earned by spending FM or tickets on loot boxes. (Extra Battle and Fighting Chance exclusive costumes are eventually sold as real money only bundles after the fact)

All the CPT content, premium and nostalgia costumes can only be purchased with real money(These make up the bulk of the costume content).

Last edited:

Takuan

Just to elaborate a bit - Characters, stages, certain colors and story costumes can be purchased with FM. Extra Battle has costumes you can "purchase" with FM by spending 2500 FM to beat an AI character each week for 4 weeks. Fighting Chance also offers a costume each week or two that can be earned by spending FM or tickets on loot boxes. (Extra Battle and Fighting Chance exclusive costumes are eventually sold as real money only bundles after the fact)

All the CPT content, premium and nostalgia costumes can only be purchased with real money(These make up the bulk of the costume content).
Interesting, I'll log in tonight to see where I'm at. Some of the costumes I've seen are pretty cool. I'm sure costume mods have only gotten better, too, so I could always mess around with that.

Petrae

I weep for the next generation consoles and games.

We will see the most intrusive loot boxes, micro-transactions, incomplete games and now ads than ever before, all because we didn't unite and stand to fight it.

Foolish/ignorant consumers began empowering the video game industry to screw them (and everyone else) over starting last gen. It’s only beginning to mature now. With publishers looking to take every available cent they can drain, look for things to get much worse in the next generation of video games.

And that’s going to happen with or without a standard software MSRP increase that has been a long time coming.

People tried to warn against this shit becoming standard years ago, and not nearly enough people have a rat’s ass. It won’t take much for ads in games like this to gain momentum moving forward with other publishers (and advertisers) unless consumers start growing a pair and pushing back now. Sadly, as long as corporate defenders exist, who claim that consumers “have to do their part” and cry poor for the publishers... that’s just never going to happen.

Consumers enable shitty publisher and developer behavior.

Zog

Banned
Foolish/ignorant consumers began empowering the video game industry to screw them (and everyone else) over starting last gen. It’s only beginning to mature now. With publishers looking to take every available cent they can drain, look for things to get much worse in the next generation of video games.

And that’s going to happen with or without a standard software MSRP increase that has been a long time coming.

People tried to warn against this shit becoming standard years ago, and not nearly enough people have a rat’s ass. It won’t take much for ads in games like this to gain momentum moving forward with other publishers (and advertisers) unless consumers start growing a pair and pushing back now. Sadly, as long as corporate defenders exist, who claim that consumers “have to do their part” and cry poor for the publishers... that’s just never going to happen.

Consumers enable shitty publisher and developer behavior.

You see it here in this thread. People justifying the ads because 'it's optional' or because 'I get free stuff'. Take the bait people, take the bait but don't be surprised when ads become non-optional and show up in almost every AAA game because it's now NORMAL. Remember when DLC and MTX''s weren't 'normal' like they are now?

Oh and those promises about how people won't buy games if the ads get exploitative. I doubt that, hype will keep them on the hook.

Last edited:

yurinka

If it has to load an entirely new screen how is there no increased load time?
The loading time it's the same because it just replaces an already existing texture and load an image from the HDD is super fast, like in your computer.

You see it here in this thread. People justifying the ads because 'it's optional' or because 'I get free stuff'. Take the bait people, take the bait but don't be surprised when ads become non-optional and show up in almost every AAA game because it's now NORMAL. Remember when DLC and MTX''s weren't 'normal' like they are now?

Oh and those promises about how people won't buy games if the ads get exploitative. I doubt that, hype will keep them on the hook.
Ads can be disabled, and appear only in a specific portion of the game if you want. You can allow only certain type of ads if desired.

The reward for viewing ads goes from 4M to 12PM per online match, which is very little and doesn't have any meaningful impact in the game economy since there are other ways to earn faster this in-game currency.

It's hard to believe anyone can consider this specific case as something exploitative, or that considers it as something "mandatory" to play the game, or that breaks the experience if you disable ads.

Who knows what they can do in he future, but right now it's optional and doesn't have a negative impact in the game. I think it doesn't make to complain for something that isn't an issue right now, if some day in the future they do it wrong then it would make sense to complain. But now it isn't the case.

It reminds me when people say they prefer to have a new retail 60€ game update that is like the previous game but with some new characters, modes and rebalance and splitting the community like in the past instead of the new model where you have the gameplay rebalancing and modes for free to don't split the userbase and to have the option to unlock some of the characters or cosmetic stuff by playing just a few hours the game instead of paying, or to buy only those characters you want.

Last edited:

Iaterain

Please, rename this topic into "Nympae preaching Neogaf users to accept ads invasion to video games".
It would be more correct title to what is happening here.

If this person had an "opinion" and not an agenda to brain-wash users he would already formulate it. The 60% of comments belong to him and those comments doesn't make any sense.

If he is totally OK with in-game ads, that would mean that he doesn't have any problems to talk about. But since most of comments belongs to him, that mean he have a problem - NeoGaf users and agenda - to shill Capcom.

shill-alert.jpg

Nymphae

Banned
I just said this morning I'm turning the feature off because I tested it and it doesn't provide me with enough of a benefit. Wow such shill. I have no problem with totally optional stuff like this, however in this case the benefits are not enough to warrant leaving the ads on.

Zog

Banned
The loading time it's the same because it just replaces an already existing texture and load an image from the HDD is super fast, like in your computer.

Ads can be disabled, and appear only in a specific portion of the game if you want. You can allow only certain type of ads if desired.

The reward for viewing ads goes from 4M to 12PM per online match, which is very little and doesn't have any meaningful impact in the game economy since there are other ways to earn faster this in-game currency.

It's hard to believe anyone can consider this specific case as something exploitative, or that considers it as something "mandatory" to play the game, or that breaks the experience if you disable ads.

Do you not see the slippery slope here? Have you not learned from DLC, MTX's, and Lootboxes? Do you trust the game industry to keep the ads non exploitative? Do you think they don't have long term goals here and do you not see that this is their foot in the door?

Kreydo

Anyway nobody play with the ads, i played like 6hours since the update and did more than 50 match and not a single player was wearing ads.
I think everybody just disable the ads since the 4FM bonus points from match are irelevant.

Like I said SFV player value their gaming experience, they are not kids from Fortnite who will do anyting to wear some dumb skin.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Do you trust the game industry to keep the ads non exploitative?

I trust myself to not buy stuff when it's not worth it. I didn't buy SF at launch. Not worth it. I bought AE for $35 bucks and it was totally worth it. We'll see what happens with 6.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
I trust myself to not buy stuff when it's not worth it. I didn't buy SF at launch. Not worth it. I bought AE for $35 bucks and it was totally worth it. We'll see what happens with 6.

You can't be trusted to condemn ads when you KNOW that they will get worse. That's saying something.

Nymphae

Banned
You can't be trusted to condemn ads when you KNOW that they will get worse. That's saying something.

We're going in circles here. As presented, these features do not bother me, because I can turn them off.

I'm not sure what action exactly you'd like me to take? I have turned off the ads. I will always be ok with optional features that I can turn off. I mean, what course of action can I take to do what you're suggesting, to take a stand against Capcom on this one? I already turned the ads off, and will take a wait and see approach to the next game, like I do with most games.

Zog

Banned
We're going in circles here. As presented, these features do not bother me, because I can turn them off.

I'm not sure what action exactly you'd like me to take? I have turned off the ads. I will always be ok with optional features that I can turn off. I mean, what course of action can I take to do what you're suggesting, to take a stand against Capcom on this one? I already turned the ads off, and will take a wait and see approach to the next game, like I do with most games.

Well, I think I mentioned that in the post you quoted. I want you to condemn ads in video games. I am glad you have turned them off but you have said that it's not rewarding enough but should they make it more rewarding you would probably turn the ads back on.

In the end I am not here discussing this to tell you what to do, I am discussing this to convince you to do it on your own. You do you.

Nymphae

Banned
Well, I think I mentioned that in the post you quoted. I want you to condemn ads in video games. I am glad you have turned them off but you have said that it's not rewarding enough but should they make it more rewarding you would probably turn the ads back on.

Of course I don't ever want to watch ads in a game. I will not support games that that force ads on me. If this is making them money and players are not forced to see them, that's win win I feel. And yes, if the benefit was there, of course I would turn it on if I wanted some extra FM.

Zog

Banned
I care about that in the sense that I want their fighting game division to keep existing.

It's a weakness they exploit. Instead of having to convince you to buy their product, you try to convince them to make it so you can buy it.

sol_bad

This is for video games as a whole, I'm not against ads in them at all. Hollywood movies have had ads forever so if games can do the same to help co-fund the game I am all for it. If it will put a stop to MTX and loot boxes I am definitely ok with it.

Now when I say I am ok with advertising, I do not mean on loading screens. It has to live within the world. Branded clothing and accessories for characters. It would be nice if car companies had to advertise rather than development studios chasing after licenses. Billboards with advertisements. Vending machines. Branded shops within the world.

It also has to make sense within the world. It would be completely fucking stupid if Assassin's Creed had advertising for example.

Top Bottom