• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter X Tekken |OT| Truly, truly outrageous~

kirblar

Ok, I think I found it. Although it kind of negates my argument since they're talking about uMvC3, but anyway I'm sure it's why they need to have character data on the disc.

Could you please put Bad Box Art Mega Man in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 too? — ACBreaker

Rey Jimenez: Interesting, but unless the team planned for him to be in UMvC3 as a DLC character, it would be very hard to do. It's near impossible post release to add content to a title that wasn't planned for before the title was released.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/...mega-mans-appearance-street-fighter-x-tekken/
What he's saying is that the dev time for the characters has to be budgeted pre-release.

SUPARSTARX

Well, don't they have to submit one copy of the final game or whatever for release early before deadlines? Don't they just make stuff in that period and dump it on anyway? What about game ratings? The character might be there but who knows if all the frame data and balance is complete? It might not even be complete there. So when release comes, it's maybe just a small update to change these properties.

impact

Banned
Well, don't they have to submit one copy of the final game or whatever for release early before deadlines? Don't they just make stuff in that period and dump it on anyway? What about game ratings? The character might be there but who knows if all the frame data and balance is complete? It might not even be complete there. So when release comes, it's maybe just a small update to change these properties.

Oh cool, then the 12 characters will be a free update?

Card Boy

Banned
And guess what, if they weren't on the disc, they'd be sitting on Capcom's computers. So what difference does it effectively make? None. We gotta pay for them either way.

The content is already made. Capcom are basically locking away content and are going to charge for it. If it was made complete during development it should be available, if you made it after development then by all means charge for it.

Its effectively releasing half a movie at the cinema and keeping the other (when its already done) then charging people people another ticket to watch the rest.

Shit analogy aside If you (or anyone person defending this) can't see the wrong in what Capcom has done then i feel sorry for you.

nHDR

Banned
I have a 1080p video camera but don't know how to use even Windows Movie Maker to ad text to the screen, so I have to write a bunch of idiotic shit on notebook paper and plaster it all over everything.
The point was to show that the content is real? And that the person is who he says he is??????

Portugeezer

you guys shouldn't bother arguing. We had to deal with this when people found out that partial assets of Shuma and Jill existed on disc for vanilla MvC3 and people refuse to listen to any sort of reason. People don't like to realize that the existence of on disc DLC is no different from day 1 DLC, while it may be a shady business practice, people should angry that day 1 DLC exists, rather in what form it exists in. Even then, DLC has a different budget and timeline from the main game that goes gold well before DLC is finished.

It's different in that day 1 DLC could be developed after the game has gone gold (apparently, if we are to believe some developers, if not then yes I agree it's basically the same).

DLC on disc was just purposely locked out to make more money.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I have a 1080p video camera but don't know how to use even Windows Movie Maker to ad text to the screen, so I have to write a bunch of idiotic shit on notebook paper and plaster it all over everything.

He wanted to do it as quickly as possible.

shinbojan

Banned
Well, we got one new option in Training mode - dummy knockdown action(roll, nothing, quick getup and random).
Not much, but better than nothing.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Is anyone else annoyed at seeing streams were everyone just swaps all the voices in the game to full japanese?

Seems slightly stupid... seeing how... HALF THE DAMN TEKKEN CHARACTERS NEVER SPOKE THAT IN THE DAMN FIRST PLACE. *is annoyed*

And street fighter since well forever technically always had English for non japanese/chinese characters.

Oh cool, then the 12 characters will be a free update?

Probably the same as it was for AE. Free to play against, $$ to play with.

I don't give a fuck about "the dlc was made to be paid all this time anyways", I get it capcom wants to make money. If i was an investor I would give capcom a firm handshake. As a consumer I am only willing to take this shit for only so far, if it's weekly character releases they can go fuck themselves.
If reasonable I'll still buy their full character download pack...

kiryogi

Banned
Is anyone else annoyed at seeing streams were everyone just swaps all the voices in the game to full japanese?

Seems slighting stupid... seeing how... HALF THE DAMN TEKKEN CHARACTERS NEVER SPOKE THAT IN THE DAMN FIRST PLACE. *is annoyed*

And street fighter since well forever technically always had English for non japanese/chinese characters.

Hey I plan to minus the Tekken chars lololol. And some choice SF ones.

What he's saying is that the dev time for the characters has to be budgeted pre-release.

Ok I can understand that but I was only trying to explain why the characters have to be on disc even though this type of thing can happen. It is annoying to be charged for characters the've likely budgeted for though, even so I'll be happy to buy everyone.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The content is already made. Capcom are basically locking away content and are going to charge for it. If it was made complete during development it should be available, if you made it after development then by all means charge for it.

Its effectively releasing half a movie at the cinema and keeping the other (when its already done) then charging people people another ticket to watch the rest.

Shit analogy aside If you (or anyone person defending this) can't see the wrong in what Capcom has done then i feel sorry for you.

So...

... what about all the trilogy films where they're shot back to back to back? Like The Lord of the Rings?

They shot them at the same time because they budgeted out the cost of three whole films in advance. They didn't release them at the same time. They didn't let you pay one ticket price for all 3 films. They didn't let you buy all three films on DVD for the price of one DVD.

Yet they made them all at the same time! With some post production afterwards to add some effects in, edit, and tweak it. But much of the work was "already in the can".

Is that just as morally wrong?

Things do have budgets. Budgets do have to be planned in advance. A lot of people don't even seem to realize that proper game developers NEVER have idle time. They don't finish a game, then go "gee, should we hang out for six months, then make some DLC? Maybe we should go see if anyone else wants us to make a game."

No, all this stuff is planned out months and years in advance. The next project is already lined up before the current one even finishes, unless there's financial trouble or the developer is going hand-to-mouth.

The problem with a lot of complaints over stuff like DLC and extra game content, is that people usually point to the past and say "we only ever got complete games!"

Complete games that 99% of the time, had nowhere near as much content as today's games do, that didn't have the same huge budgets today's games have.

The only time anyone ever got a "complete game" with craploads of characters was when 90% of them were sprite rips from four previous games, ala MVC2.

Ironically, I'm not even trying to defend or condemn Capcom's strategy here in the absolute. I'm just pointing out that things are very different in multiple ways, but many people refuse to recognize that.

Sblargh

Banned

Seems slighting stupid... seeing how... HALF THE DAMN TEKKEN CHARACTERS NEVER SPOKE THAT IN THE DAMN FIRST PLACE. *is annoyed*

It doesn't annoy me, but I'll be definetly playing all english voices.

I know a few "weaboos" who will only change the voices to Japanese and absolutely abhor any English voice acting.

I for one don't mind English voice acting provided it's good. Actually sometimes I prefer English voice acting over Japanese. Examples are SSFIV's Cammy's English VA > Her Japanese one, and Balrog's English VA > His Japanese one.

And if they weren't going to charge extra for the DLC characters, THEY WOULDN'T HAVE WORKED ON THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE.

The choices aren't "either the 12 characters are part of the regular release or they are locked away to be charged as DLC later". The choices are "either the characters are locked away and charged as DLC later or we don't pay the development costs to work on them in the first place."

Ferrio

Banned
Look even if they budgeted them for dlc, they should allow you to unlock them day 1 atleast. Having them on disc but not usable for months is stupid.

ElFly

Here is an old quote from Ono

GameSpy: But given that it will be on consoles in a big way, can we expect much in the way of post-release content? Like characters, stages, musical arrangements?
Yoshinori Ono: Going back to the chess analogy, characters [in fighting games] are like rules, and you have to master the rules to enjoy them too. So while we are working on downloadable content, characters will not be downloadable. We don't necessarily want to increase the complexity of the rules. And also, I think it's a little bit unfair that those guys with a bit more money will have more characters. But yes, we are working on some downloadable content.

So those characters will be free DLC right, Ono wouldn't lie ang go back on his own words :(

*blanka troll face*

Well, he hasn't lied so far.

Those characters aren't downloadable.

Who said people like waiting?

The "defense force" thing is cute, but doesn't change the fact that they pay staff to make these DLC characters specifically to sell. Period. If they didn't plan for that revenue stream, they wouldn't have spent the time and money making these. We'd just have what's in the core product. That is reality. I know you people like to scream that you're getting ripped off, but have some common sense and think about how stuff works in real-life. This is how games are budgeted and made now, like it or not. They're not gonna give everything they created to you for free. (nor are you entitled to it) Heck, I'd love to have all 50 now for $60, but that's not how the product was developed.

And guess what, if they weren't on the disc, they'd be sitting on Capcom's computers. So what difference does it effectively make? None. We gotta pay for them either way.

The question people should be asking is how much will they cost and what sort of value is the core product and DLC for the money. Not just knee-jerk crying foul without applying some common sense.

Again for the millionth time, they made these to sell as DLC. Get it?

It's not a defense force. It's the reality of game development.
when is the DLC date anyway? isn't is it supposed to coincide with the Vita release?
that is months right?

in SSF4 for SF characters: I usually put English on most Western characters (Guy & Rose the exceptions) and Japanese on most Asian characters (Sagat, Adon the exceptions)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Look even if they budgeted them for dlc, they should allow you to unlock them day 1 atleast. Having them on disc but not usable for months is stupid.

I could easily believe that the characters are not actually balanced or tweaked. With MVC3, the download for Jill and Shuma was like 20 megs in a required system patch. So some files had to be updated.

However, I agree that an artificially stretched out release schedule is pointless.

Card Boy

Banned
I want to see a developer lock content post release and then charge it as DLC and see if people defend it. Its effectively what they have done in the reverse with these 12 characters, the content is already there.

remist

The thing that bothers me about this on disk DLC stuff, is that if the characters are complete (and maybe they aren't 100%) they should just be upfront about it and charge a certain amount of money for a copy of the game with all the "DLC" day one and tell people how much they will cost separately. I'm not the kind of person that feels I'm owed a certain amount of content for a certain amount of money. If I think its worth it I'll buy it and if I don't think its worth it I won't buy it. But if they've developed and budgeted a certain amount of money towards this DLC they should be upfront and tell me how much I'm eventually going to have to pay for a "complete" version of the game. I'm probably still going to buy a copy of this game, but this kind of stuff certainly doesn't inspire brand loyalty.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
For those who don't know, the alternate costumes for the rest of the cast are up on the official site!

http://www.capcom.co.jp/sfxtk_en/system.html

There are also little descriptions for each one if you click on the screenshots so you know where the costume came from.

Yes, I am shamelessly plugging my own work. :p

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
God I hate the DLC debate that always goes on and fucking on and fucking on. Yes it's there, don't dl the shit if you don't want to. Yes data is on the disc, boo fucking hoo that shit sucks, oh wait the game looks godly I don't really give a fuck I'm still going to buy the game and use the ton of other characters that are in it.

Freaking DLC talk is always the same shit over and over on both sides of the fence and its like a damn broken record in every thread it comes up in. Can't people just enjoy the damn game for what it is? Having it derail the damn thread of what ever when ever the subject comes up.... bleh.

It's weird how poorly recreated the SF3 era characters' neutral animations have been in the SF4 engine. Still, happy as hell Hugo and Elena ended up making it back. Any word if the new SF side characters will be ported into SF4 proper? It seems like a dead game at this point, but you never know.

I want to see a developer lock content post release and then charge it as DLC and see if people defend it. Its effectively what they have done in the reverse with these 12 characters, the content is already there.

I like how you completely and utterly ignored a bunch of reasonable responses

I hope that the alt costumes remain invisible for those who didn't buy them, just like the extra costumes in SSF4 arcade edition were not visible to those who didn't buy them.

iLHQch3kvJiBo.gif

God I hate the DLC debate that always goes on and fucking on and fucking on. Yes it's there, don't dl the shit if you don't want to. Yes data is on the disc, boo fucking hoo that shit sucks, oh wait the game looks godly I don't really give a fuck I'm still going to buy the game and use the ton of other characters that are in it.

Freaking DLC talk is always the same shit over and over on both sides of the fence and its like a damn broken record in every thread it comes up in. Can't people just enjoy the damn game for what it is?

You sir just spoke a lot of truth.

I salute you

Card Boy

Banned
I like how you completely and utterly ignored a bunch of reasonable responses

Whats the different between locking content day 1 or day 30? They content is there already. I see the defense force arguments and they are all wrong.

I remember Magic the Gathering Duels on PC having all the DLC available via cheat codes (foil decks, unlock all decks, before the expansions), then Wizards locked it away and started charging for it.

I hope that the alt costumes remain invisible for those who didn't buy them, just like the extra costumes in SSF4 arcade edition were not visible to those who didn't buy them.

Pretty sure that was a Sony issue with them wanting to charge Capcom for an update or something so they refused while MS said it was ok to do it for free. Not sure what will happen with this game though.

Freaking DLC talk is always the same shit over and over on both sides of the fence and its like a damn broken record in every thread it comes up in. Can't people just enjoy the damn game for what it is? Having it derail the damn thread of what ever when ever the subject comes up.... bleh.
Preach mayne.

ibiGLnelL4JyN6.gif

Next page will be people still complaining =/

Top Bottom