• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Substantial franchise returning as an Xbox exclusive

Speevy said:
Xavier Fox, at long last!

image3571.jpg

Holy shit. I remember the official forum on TXB. God damn thats a mind fuck Speevy...

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
i cry every morning and every night

what did i do to deserve this blight

why god why wont you let me play

i even refused to sin today

but alas my burden lets up

as god put jet grind radio up in this motherfuck

gofreak said:
I though someone from Capcom namedropped Strider in the context of things that might work well with Natal, or maybe I'm going bonkers. Can't find the link right now but I'm nearly certain there was such an interview.

Well, I've heard there was some type of 3D Strider build floating around in the Xbox days. It seems as if Capcom wants it to go to Microsoft, so I wouldn't be surprised if you were correct.

shaowebb

I predict since they are in bed with Rare and it is advertising an old very popular franchise that it will be probably Rare's oldest creation.

WIZARDS AND WARRIORS.

Wizards and Warriors 3 (aka Ironsword 2) ended with
a cliffhanger involving a rift trapping both Kuros and Malkil somewhere in time.

For this reason I predict that Rare is bringing back the bearded wonder( no he looks nothing like Fabio in spite of what the box and The Power Team told you) to a new 3d style.

Suzzopher

Considering it was the OXM guy who mentioned this substantial franchise was coming to 360 and now we know X-Com is getting revealed in OXM next month, it is a pretty safe bet that X-Com is that franchise.

Suzzopher said:
Considering it was the OXM guy who mentioned this substantial franchise was coming to 360 and now we know X-Com is getting revealed in OXM next month, it is a pretty safe bet that X-Com is that franchise.

/thread

Suzzopher

McBradders said:
Hardly a "substantial" franchise.

Sorry? I would imagine that X-Com has a much bigger following and sales than 99% of the games mentioned in this thread. Is Shenmue a bigger franchise than X-Com:lol

Don't get me wrong I love Shenmue, but in no way is that a substantial franchise. People ignored it in 2000 people will ignore it in 2010.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Suzzopher said:
Sorry? I would imagine that X-Com has a much bigger following and sales than 99% of the games mentioned in this thread. Is Shenmue a bigger franchise than X-Com:lol

Don't get me wrong I love Shenmue, but in no way is that a substantial franchise. People ignored it in 2000 people will ignore it in 2010.

Pft, I dunno, but when someone says "SUBSTANTIAL FRANCHISE RETURNS" nobody would immediately go "Oh fuck here comes a new X-Com, commence fapping!".

Being substantial in the company of Shenmue is hardly a feat of greatness.

eso76

FrostuTheNinja said:
Well, I've heard there was some type of 3D Strider build floating around in the Xbox days. It seems as if Capcom wants it to go to Microsoft, so I wouldn't be surprised if you were correct.

Actually, it IS true that there was a 3D Strider game floating around in the xbox days, but someone on this forum (don't remember who) was able to see a playable alpha build and told me we should be grateful it was never finished / released. It was being developed by some minor team at Capcom, possibly those who did Chaos Legion or some other neglectable ps2 game like that.

Anyway, a 3D Strider is probably my most wanted unannounced title ever, but i'm not sure it would work in todays world of action games. I certainly don't see Hiryu going Bayonetta with tons of combos, weapons and huge movelists, but without those people would probably perceive it as too shallow.

You know what would be great ? a 3D Black Tiger with ARPG elements, kinda like SOTN.

EDIT: Also, Wonderboy. Think Wonderboy IV in Zelda OOT sauce. Yumm.

McBradders

More Fun To Compute said:
It's more of a substantial franchise than Fallout was before Fallout 3.

True enough.

I just expected something mindblowing or completely out of left field. Xcom FPS is so underwhelming right now it's almost painful. I'm sure it'll be a fine game but, you know, some of us liked the turn based one just fine.

@ McBradders

A turn-based strategy game would struggle to sell at all in the current FPS environment, unfortunately.

Personally I'm not going to write this off without knowing little if anything about it. This feels similar to Bioshock when it was announced, I recall it being written off immediately.

McBradders said:
I just expected something mindblowing or completely out of left field. Xcom FPS is so underwhelming right now it's almost painful. I'm sure it'll be a fine game but, you know, some of us liked the turn based one just fine.

Ditto. Substantial franchise is about as pleasant a term to me as incurable genital warts. I would rather X-COM was a completely unknown name with a great new turn based tactical game being released every few years.

McBradders

Opus Angelorum said:
@ McBradders

A turn-based strategy game would struggle to sell at all in the current FPS environment, unfortunately.

Oh I'm more than painfully aware of that despite some neat leaps some devs have taken with strategy of both the realtime and turn based persuasions of late. Again, I'm sure it will be a fine game taken on its own merits but I will play it with a sad heart that longs for base-building, scanning, research and development budgets and incredible battles...

More Fun To Compute said:
Ditto. Substantial franchise is about as pleasant a term to me as incurable genital warts. I would rather X-COM was completely a unknown name with a great new turn based tactical game being released every few years.

Yup. Sums it up perfectly.

Top Bottom