• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Suicide Squad |OT| Rotten Prince of Belle Reve

Status
Not open for further replies.

nubbe

I didn't care about any of the character. I didn't care about anything they did.
"Why am I watching this" was the only thought that went through my mind.

None of the DC movies have engrossing drama that makes you care or root for the characters.
dlJJBwQ.gif

^Interesting. Wonder why they decided to back off from this angle of the relationship so far into production.

Is Jared contracted to do more films?

Blader

^Interesting. Wonder why they decided to back off from this angle of the relationship so far into production.

Either it didn't test well or WB/Ayer chose to rework their dynamic after the BvS reviews. Or maybe both.

Leto is almost definitely contracted for more movies. I think he had hinted toward that before SS came out too.

Either it didn't test well or WB/Ayer chose to rework their dynamic after the BvS reviews. Or maybe both.

Leto is almost definitely contracted for more movies. I think he had hinted toward that before SS came out too.

watching that footage i'm thinking for the first time maybe his joker isn't quite the interpretation that i want for DCEU to move forward with

he sort of sways too much and he spins and twirls when he spoke in that scene with margot

but the scenes that made it through to SS didn't have as much of body sway/spins so i guess it all depends on direction and editing.... would love to see him against ben affleck's batman for sure to determine how i'm really feeling for leto's joker

I agree, Yes.

There is something about Leto's chosen mannerisms for the Joker that are a bit too much. The clip above was particularly out of Smooth Criminal (where MJ was also embodying a gangster persona). I think without a more sobering character like Batman it becomes too distracting and, forgive me, too cartoony on screen. His performance needs a counterweight.

Or like you said - lots of editing to craft a more solid performance.

I'm still not sure what Leto wants his Joker to be.

I agree, Yes.

There is something about Leto's chosen mannerisms for the Joker that are a bit too much. The clip above was particularly out of Smooth Criminal (where MJ was also embodying a gangster persona). I think without a more sobering character like Batman it becomes too distracting and, forgive me, too cartoony on screen. His performance needs a counterweight.

Or like you said - lots of editing to craft a more solid performance.

I'm still not sure what Leto wants his Joker to be.

ya, melon, all of this

i agree also

i think batman's presence will bring a good counterweight to his performance so im hoping to see the two duke it out in the solo batman movie :>

The new Joker is just okay. Not really memorable to me and aside from Harley's backstory he was shoved into the movie and didn't really do anything. That reminds me, there was no reason to have a wildcard like Harley in the movie if Joker or Arkham going to have any significance.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Pure speculation but they probably wanted to back away from the abusive aspects of their relationship. Viewers are hyper aware of these type of things now. It probably wouldn't be worth the backlash and potential hit to the merchandising material if there was a shitstorm. Big enough backlash and people would have been saying they would boycott stores on social media, the stores remove the merchandise, yadda yadda yadda.

From what we do see in the movie, I don't think it would have been handled in a deft manner anyway.
Harley didn't rise out of the relationship, she just thought Joker was dead and went through the motions since she didn't have any other options.

I guess what I'm getting at is why go so far as to film it if you have such concerns about how the relationship will land?

The way they handled it left holes in the plot, gave Harley an incomplete character arc, and arguably made the Joker, someone that should be a pillar of the DCEU, an afterthought.

I'm watching this now...what the fuck am I watching?

This movie is an incoherent mess that pummels you over the head with it's "edgy" soundtrack.

I didn't think it could be as bad as people made it out to be...it's worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom