• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sword Art Online 8
tumblr_m9bslsBQl01qzd219o1_500.gif

Kirito is really amazing with his new sword, loved every moment he was swinging it. Spinning, and then those moments when they swiftly flash three images of him using it subsequently always get me excited.

Asuna was right at one point in the episode, Cooking in SAO is oversimplifed, so its boring. I wasn't expecting something on the level of Yumeiro Patissierre SP but certainly more than a tap and a poof. She's still boring herself and still dont see how she assits Kirito, beyond just making him do all these funny faces and emotions, who is more than capable of taking on any challenge, even if he is beater status. Regardless the whole dungeon portion was fun and the duel decent
too bad it was only one hit and just basically serves to make him seem like some future baddie that may show up again with that guild they seemed to hint at I guess
it's the first time i was surprised by this anime ... this is exactly ( if not more ) what was described , flashy moves and all ..this pleases me a lot since kirito really is overpowered as hell ..but now we'll see those overpowered moves in action .. i have high hopes for the next episodes .

Asuna and the knife was also a nice part that they addapted very well .. Overall this show delivered this episode.

For the duels :
Duels exist in various forms this was one kind of "first to strike wins" kind of duel ..but another type exist .... the 50% hp duel where the first who reaches half of his Hp loses the duel.. don't worry more duels are coming in the coming eps .There is also the no limit duels ( nobody use them outside pkers )

Also asuna usefullness is obvious , even kirito talks about it .( twice even ) . In fact those 2 characters are probably the only ones who could go into that dongeons in a 2 party team without being destroyed

Jarmel

Banned
SAO 8-

Finally. Finally. We got some good action sequences. Took way too damn long. I guess they were saving the budget the past 7 episodes.

Dog days' - 08
PxaHnl.jpg

Thank god the MC is obvious to females advances and want to focus on athletic things
Woah this episode had everything ( again ) .
Hero shinku , accidents ( lot of them ) a not so dumb vilain( that lost because the cast is awesome + training time ) and lots lots of backy-milphie talk ..... i almost expected them to form plan for each being a wife in each world since they are so close ...

That green tsundere guard captain being kissed was glorious

Soma

Sword Art Online Episode 08

iDM6zw4uZd7bl.jpg
ibcrMulRRurghe.jpg

Pretty okay episode.

I'm kinda glad the story is getting back into the swing of things after all the waifu filler episodes. The relationship between the two main characters is kinda boring but I'm interested to see what the deal is with that mysterious hooded dude. Lots of potentially great actions scenes marred by the fact that they're all just basically still shots. I haven't seen an action scene in this show as good as the boss fight in episode 2. Pretty disappointing.

In any case I'm still on board with the show and the next episode looks pretty promising.

Kokoro Connect 8

It's funny, everyone is talking about Natsuyuki being at a standstill, but Kokoro Connect hasn't really moved either since the new premise was introduced. It feels like they're trying to pad it out to reach the end of the season at the same time as the end of the arc.
The point of this new arc (untill now ) is that they were in a stand still and everyone was seeing that things weren't right between all of them.

It's not like the cast didn't try to do things differently but they keep hurting each others ..things shoudl be back into a nice resolution for the next eps of this arc now that the MC reached his enlightment

I decided I should watch more anime because I never finish a series and summer break ends in a day or two. So, after 4 months or so, I guess I'm back to watching stuff for a bit~

Mawaru Penguindrum 7
iXTzGjeogmBbB.png

DESTINYYYY! Fabulous Max! Seizon senryaku! "Listen up, you lowlifes who will never amount to anything!" Project M x10. Fate. Am I missing anything? No? Good. I can't even grasp how Ringo gets creepier and creepier every episode. And... I kinda feel dumb for not realizing what Project M really was, though. ): Unless there's s surprise twist next episode!

jbug617

Banned
Kuroko no Basket 21

Training episode. It was good but the preview for the next episode looks like it will be great.
We get to see Kise vs Aomine

Kuroko's Basketball 21
tumblr_m9bvtspkC61qa2atko2_500.gif

Darn for a beach episode, I guess I was expecting way more than what they gave us here, that I cant help but feel disappointed. They should have spent way more time at the beach for more choice scenes, and sand basketball, and less in the gym or cooking. Oh well the ending Kagami bath moment made up for it
even if it was closed :/
, lol as well as the moment with Midorima and Takeo, and Kuroko and Kagami moments were good. Odd moment, Kagami's feet looked like one was really huge and bulkier than the other in one scene.

Hopefully we get a hot springs episode, they did say something about the mountains, right?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The point of this new arc (untill now ) is that they were in a stand still and everyone was seeing that things weren't right between all of them.

It's not like the cast didn't try to do things differently but they keep hurting each others ..things shoudl be back into a nice resolution for the next eps of this arc now that the MC reached his enlightment
So, I guess I should ask - who "wins"?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Kokoro Connect 07:

Thank you Kokoro Connect for not playing this scene straight like every other anime ever.
Imouto freaking the hell out when onii-chan doesn't wake up was a pretty amusing subversion of what is otherwise the most spent otaku trope in the universe.

This whole
uninhibited arc
doesn't quite match the
body-swapping
for me in terms of intrigue.
Whereas there were infinite possibilities for the body-swapping, being uninhibited pretty much just means lots of shouting and unminced words and confessions and generally heightened emotion leading to rash decisions. I suppose that what I want to see more than anything at this point is how they manage to get Yui out of her infinite feedback loop of her shame causing her to go into hikkikomori mode which in turn makes her more ashamed which in turn etc etc.

I guess there's also the possibility of Taichi throwing himself in front of a moving bus or whatever at the slightest inclination as predicted by Inaba, but it remains to be seen whether or not the show is actually going to almost kill someone off twice for dramaz.

cajunator

Banned
I decided I should watch more anime because I never finish a series and summer break ends in a day or two. So, after 4 months or so, I guess I'm back to watching stuff for a bit~

Mawaru Penguindrum 7
iXTzGjeogmBbB.png

DESTINYYYY! Fabulous Max! Seizon senryaku! "Listen up, you lowlifes who will never amount to anything!" Project M x10. Fate. Am I missing anything? No? Good. I can't even grasp how Ringo gets creepier and creepier every episode. And... I kinda feel dumb for not realizing what Project M really was, though. ): Unless there's s surprise twist next episode!

Ringo is absolutely adorable yet certifiably batshit INSANE.

Sword Art Online is so good. I wish a game like that was real, except maybe without permanent death.

Though it would be amusing to have a DayZ type of RPG where if you die, you lose your character and have to pay to get back in.

I guess I can give it a try. Kenji is really cool looking, one of the Yoshida's looks odd in that angle, but their both cool. The girls are kind of really bland looking though, so hopefully the other characters are interesting to keep each episode watchable.
Dedication Through Light
Will make an excellent gay
best friend one day
(Today, 02:10 PM)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
nobody wins ..
except heart seed
So there's
no OTP?!

---

Pirates vs Princesses 4
7GsENl.jpg

You know, that makes perfect sense. Of course pirates wouldn't get along with princesses!
As a fantasy adventuring series about Hunters who hunt Monsters (no relation to the game), this thing really is just a pleasant ride. No real surprises, but at least it's better than White Knight Chronicles Sword Art Online at the whole adventuring thing.

KGATWl.jpg

Also, it's like she's trying to claim you, the viewer!

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Kokoro Connect 08:

Jqsgwl.jpg

Fujishima the magical lesbian. Also, best girl. Why must we always want what we can never have?

Man, everyone continues to believe that Taichi has the worst possible intentions for wanting to intervene in his friends' problems. They're just jelly of his elite therapy skillz and consequent ability to make any girl fall for him.

At least
Aoki got called out for being useless
. I can't believe it took eight episodes!

Nafe

Thanks to the booklet which came with Bunny Drop, I've already learned something new. The daycare workers in the series are actually the singers of the OP, PUFFY.

Yeah, I saw that back when it aired, I thought that was pretty neat.

Also kind of an interesting bit of trivia is that in the same week that that episode of Usagi Drop aired, the vocalist Kimiko for the band nano.RIPE, which performed both of the opening songs of Hanasaku Iroha, guest voiced as the character which performed the song at *Spoilers for Hanasaku Iroha*
the wedding
. The song carries on to be used as the ending song for episode 22 and is called ハイリープor High Leap. nano.RIPE actually did the ending songs for a few other episodes as well. Kimiko is credited as "Takako's Friend" in the credits.

Firemind

SAO #8

Truly, truly outrageous.

It's already floor 74 and it's the first time he felt up her breasts.

No wonder the industry is declining.

Jarmel

Banned
My standard for judging a work is not whether or not it's better than average. I am rather harsher than that. I think works should be aspire to be a lot better than the average.

Well atleast in regards to Brotherhood, this was a deliberate choice in regards to tone as the manga itself is more lighthearted compared to the first anime adaptation. So in this case Brotherhood is being more accurate to the manga. That's also something that marks how different the first adaptation was in that it made the manga into more of a tragedy than it actually was.

So there's
no OTP?!
I hope you'll forgive me as i have no intention to spoil what happens past the next arc .. this will be a pleaseant ride i assure you.

---

Pirates vs Princesses 4
7GsENl.jpg

You know, that makes perfect sense. Of course pirates wouldn't get along with princesses!
As a fantasy adventuring series about Hunters who hunt Monsters (no relation to the game), this thing really is just a pleasant ride. No real surprises, but at least it's better than White Knight Chronicles Sword Art Online at the whole adventuring thing.
I'm surprised i enjoy this show this much.
Also pirates and princesses get along just fine .. This show and one piece are notable examples
KGATWl.jpg

Also, it's like she's trying to claim you, the viewer!
Maybe she was just adressing the handsome backflipping kicking and extremly competent dude.

Kokoro Connect 08:

Man, everyone continues to believe that Taichi has the worst possible intentions for wanting to intervene in his friends' problems. They're just jelly of his elite therapy skillz and consequent ability to make any girl fall for him.
I love how he was proud of it in this episode ( his skills )
At least
Aoki got called out for being useless
. I can't believe it took eight episodes!
Seriously .. I hope this situation and this "nice " disccusion they all had will shake things up :p

They wouldn't dare to make this show and not put at least on bright moment for him in there ?
SAO #8

Truly, truly outrageous.

It's already floor 74 and it's the first time he felt up her breasts.

No wonder the industry is declining.

There is a first time for everything. The next time will happen very shortly.
This was a challenge even for kirito ..did you see how she handle that knife ?

Branduil

Yeah, I saw that back when it aired, I thought that was pretty neat.

Also kind of an interesting bit of trivia is that in the same week that that episode of Usagi Drop aired, the vocalist Kimiko for the band nano.RIPE, which performed both of the opening songs of Hanasaku Iroha, guest voiced as the character which performed the song at *Spoilers for Hanasaku Iroha*
the wedding
. The song carries on to be used as the ending song for episode 22 and is called ハイリープor High Leap. nano.RIPE actually did the ending songs for a few other episodes as well. Kimiko is credited as "Takako's Friend" in the credits.

Yes, I think most of us noticed in Hanasaku Iroha because she was actually singing in the episode. The Bunny Drop characters are a much more subtle appearance.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I hope you'll forgive me as i have no intention to spoil what happens past the next arc .. this will be a pleaseant ride i assure you.
The anime won't get to the next arc though!

I'm surprised i enjoy this show this much.
Also pirates and princesses get along just fine .. This show and one piece are notable examples
They get along only when the pirate thinks that pirates are better than princesses!

Maybe she was just adressing the handsome backflipping kicking and extremly competent dude.
Oh you, crushing the dreams of pirate-lovers everywhere. lol

The anime won't get to the next arc though!
Oh really *? i didn't know that .. should i already expect a set of oav for the next arc ?

They get along only when the pirate thinks that pirates are better than princesses!
Pirates always have a high opinion of themselves ..you can't sail if you don't believe in yourself ..Especially in a world where danger is everywhere.
i certainly wouldn't want to live into the taiken drilan world given what seems to happen in it..
Oh you, crushing the dreams of pirate-lovers everywhere. lol

i see you've already fallen into her crutches ... i'll give you a pirate hat shortly so you can go after her...

i won't give you a boat otherwise she will believe you're an opponent .

Don't thank me

Kagami

Kokoro Connect 06:

I should feel more outraged about
getting bait-and-switched on the body swap premise since that was the entire reason that I was interested in this show in the first place

It's not much of a bait-and-switch, because the DVD/BD volumes are labeled such that it's clear the body swap arc ends in two discs, but that info didn't propagate well on the English side of the net.

but
everyone having no inhibitions or capacity for forethought
is pretty interesting, I guess. At the breakneck pace that this show is steamrolling through character dramaz I guess that they backed themselves into a corner by
forcing the body swap concept to its logical extreme too quickly
, which is unfortunate because there were presumably many more clever directions to take it in if not every scenario had to result in feels or deeper mutual understanding or whatever.

Yeah they could have done more with it. This may be one of those cases where (and I don't know how much additional stuff may have happened in the novels, but) the author decided to quit while he was ahead, leaving people wanting more instead of risking running it into the ground.

Of course, I say this from the standpoint of someone who vastly prefers lighthearted romantic comedy to the more serious perpetual soul-bearing and tear-shedding and whatnot that dominates Kokoro Connect, so I might not be the intended audience for this anyway.
The lighthearted stuff in the first half of the first episode sold me on the show, so we're probably similar there. I like the drama fine, too, but maybe they could have used a little more time, say one more episode per arc, to put in more contrast. Still, who knows what's coming up next--might be a comedy arc next time.

Well, he certainly can't have any fag hags if he cannot stand the sight of females at least long enough to sit through a musical theatre performance with them.
There are probably plenty of fifteen-year-old girls that wouldn't mind having him as a friend. You know, someone to look at trashy yaoi and draw shoddy fanart with. He would have more material for avatars, at the least.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
It's funny, in spite of Ikuni & Enokido's shared backgrounds with Sailor Moon, the enemy-of-the-week tournament structure, transformations, etc., I've always felt like SKU was closer to shoujo proper than mahou shoujo. (It must be in the title for a reason, after all...)
The connections to Sailor Moon remain pretty heavy, though, especially to S and Supers. Some scenes and shots are pretty much duplicated.

At the same time, the influence from Oniisama e is pretty heavy too.

But girls. He's like, allergic to them.

Speaking from personal experience, most gay guys I know, at least the ones who socialize primarily with females, tend to identify more strongly with female leads in stories.
He can pretend they are in drag, just all the time. Probably take some medication for the allergic reaction.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is 13 eps.

13 awesome episodes!

I understand why whenever someone says "I'll watch that anime" they tell them "read the manga", because parts 1 and 2 add a lot to the background, and a lot of material is skipped in the anime, but people should say "Read the manga first" in this case. The anime is totally worth a watch if you're already a fan of the series and have read part 3.

I watched it shortly after finishing part 3, and it was plenty good. I was even surprised at how good the dub was, knowing it was from the 90s and having looked up the cast and seen only one role listed for most of them, but they were all pretty good. Especially Dio, who sounds much better in English. After being familiar with the Capcom fighting game, the Japanese voice he had in the anime was pretty bad.

I hope the upcoming anime
-gets a US release
-is as good as this one, at the least

13 awesome episodes!

I understand why whenever someone says "I'll watch that anime" they tell them "read the manga", because parts 1 and 2 add a lot to the background, and a lot of material is skipped in the anime, but people should say "Read the manga first" in this case. The anime is totally worth a watch if you're already a fan of the series and have read part 3.

I watched it shortly after finishing part 3, and it was plenty good. I was even surprised at how good the dub was, knowing it was from the 90s and having looked up the cast and seen only one role listed for most of them, but they were all pretty good. Especially Dio, who sounds much better in English. After being familiar with the Capcom fighting game, the Japanese voice he had in the anime was pretty bad.

I hope the upcoming anime
-gets a US release
-is as good as this one, at the least

I agree, the anime is good if you already have knowledge of part 3, but if not, I really can't recommend it at all. It's not just that stuff is cut out, it's that really weird stuff is left in and it messes up the pacing. Polnareff ends up having more fights than almost everyone else combined.

And it's also a crime that they cut out Joseph's and Iggy's best fights.

Narag

I agree, the anime is good if you already have knowledge of part 3, but if not, I really can't recommend it at all. It's not just that stuff is cut out, it's that really weird stuff is left in and it messes up the pacing. Polnareff ends up having more fights than almost everyone else combined.

And it's also a crime that they cut out Joseph's and Iggy's best fights.

It's worth watching for the D'Arby episode alone! I went in with very cursory knowledge of the franchise and couldn't get enough.

Saimoe Round 1, Group C, Day 3 Results:

C03
1st 239 Cthugha @ Haiyore! Nyarlko-san
2nd 180 Chinatsu Yoshikawa @ Yuru Yuri
3rd 142 Francesca Lucchini @ Strike Witches

C07
1st 306 Astarotte Ygvar @ Astarotte's Toy!
2nd 132 Awai Oohashi @ Saki
3rd 125 Mami Futami @ The Idolmaster

C11
1st 224 Yune @ Ikoku Meiro No Croisee
2nd 220 Erica Hartmann @ Strike Witches
3rd 133 Sonya @ Kill Me Baby!

-----------------------------------------------

Yuru Yuri isn't doing well at all. Though this says more about the sheer strength of the competition than it does about the Yuru Yuris. I'm also thinking that shows with ensemble casts like Yuru Yuri and THE IDOLM@STER will probably have a lot of trouble in contests like this.

It's worth watching for the D'Arby episode alone! I went in with very cursory knowledge of the franchise and couldn't get enough.

I didn't mean to say it's not worth watching, I meant I would recommend people read the manga first. It's like seeing the highlights animated rather than a complete experience.

And yes, D'Arby episode is amazing.

Narag

I didn't mean to say it's not worth watching, I meant I would recommend people read the manga first. It's like seeing the highlights animated rather than a complete experience.

And yes, D'Arby episode is amazing.

Oh, I can totally see the merit there as I went through some of it after watching the show.

Nafe

Yes, I think most of us noticed in Hanasaku Iroha because she was actually singing in the episode. The Bunny Drop characters are a much more subtle appearance.

Okay that's fair, although I was getting more at the fact not so much that Kimiko was in Hanasaku Iroha but that it was an interesting coincidence that two different shows that had a "theme" where the singer(s) for their opening theme(s) guest voiced a character happened to have those episodes air right next to each other in the same week.

PUFFY also got their own cartoon, sort of, called Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi. I saw a little bit of it a few years ago.
I'll just link the Wikipedia article if anyone is interested in knowing a little more about the show. Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom