• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
My first ever post in this thread, please be gentle!

Binbougami ga! 08

What was that? After 7 episodes of over the top stupid goodness they try to flesh out the character with a dark/serious episode - devoid of everything that actually made the first 7 episodes good. Hope this is only a temporary thing.
welcome!

Gintama 78

jZKYe.jpg

This is a good start to a new arc. New villain introduced, everyone teaming up and looks like lots of action is gonna happen.

Sister complex much?

But those were counter-balanced by Sakura being the comic releif. This episode was different in that it had no comedy at all, and it's a comedy series (at least I thought it was).
I agree that it didn't work very well (except for the very end and the post-credits, which were great). Fortunately, the preview for the next episode seems like a return to the usual antics.

Also, welcome to animeGAF!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
You always could, you just needed to do it manually.

Screenshots from the Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun trailer released with this month's Dessert:

http://i.imgur.com/hRUP8.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]

I guess I can give it a try. Kenji is really cool looking, one of the Yoshida's looks odd in that angle, but their both cool. The girls are kind of really bland looking though, so hopefully the other characters are interesting to keep each episode watchable.

BluWacky

Utena 34

Hmmm.
I've forgotten if I knew already, so I'm wondering if we get an actual explanation for what really happened to Dios. Why did he "fall" and become Akio? Even though he says to Utena that he's no longer the Prince he was, even then, he's still Dios at that point. What corrupted him?

Love the imagery of Anthy being pierced by the swords.

Utena 35

You are so out of your depth, Touga.
But nice to hear you actually say that you want to become Akio.

The show is losing some of its visual inventiveness as it obviously tries to tie up narrative loose ends. With that said, as usual the show saves the best for the end of an episode, with
Utena seeing Anthy as the Witch and almost remembering

Jex

Given the standard wackyness/fanservice level we've come to expect from anime in general, I think FMA:B's is more than tolerable. Especially when you look at shit like this VVVVV
My standard for judging a work is not whether or not it's better than average. I am rather harsher than that. I think works should be aspire to be a lot better than the average.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kokoro Connect 8

vepMwl.jpg

Hey, the sidekick loser guy isn't supposed to try to stand out!

7QtJUl.jpg

Dat Kanna-face.

It's funny, everyone is talking about Natsuyuki being at a standstill, but Kokoro Connect hasn't really moved either since the new premise was introduced. It feels like they're trying to pad it out to reach the end of the season at the same time as the end of the arc.

Knight in the Area 37
u0UXDl.jpg

Let's put all the guys in maid outfits! (DTL already posted the Kaoru-ko pic).

Q1tMgl.jpg

Let's have an SDBurton moment!

I do think this show is much better when they're not playing soccer, even though this is basically the type of thing that we get. lol

Saimoe Round 1, Group C, Day 3 Results:

C03
1st 239 Cthugha @ Haiyore! Nyarlko-san
2nd 180 Chinatsu Yoshikawa @ Yuru Yuri
3rd 142 Francesca Lucchini @ Strike Witches

C07
1st 306 Astarotte Ygvar @ Astarotte's Toy!
2nd 132 Awai Oohashi @ Saki
3rd 125 Mami Futami @ The Idolmaster

C11
1st 224 Yune @ Ikoku Meiro No Croisee
2nd 220 Erica Hartmann @ Strike Witches
3rd 133 Sonya @ Kill Me Baby!

-----------------------------------------------

That yayoi art :O

Eureka Seven 36 - 40
tumblr_m3qj3amgZp1rs4dwoo4_400.gif

The non action episodes were great. Moondoggie a pro at soccer and that love duo soccer team kick was full of win, then earlier the Renton and Holland bath scene where all was revealed, emotional, touching, and memorable.

The kids are awful and hold the show back.
really had to sneak in with the group to the Wall or whatever for the Voderec cult and cause Nirvash to stand ruining the infiltration, seriously?!

Narag

Sword Art Online 8

The loot was bigger than the rabbit... lol

It's weird having Kirito back as the lead like this and the relationship between him and Asuna actually feels like it's regressed some. There's something else I can't quite articulate that left this feeling like the first ep which is a good thing. Maybe it won't be so bad here on out.

I think I do like the short story adaptations preceding this for their role in developing the world though rather than having to squeeze in explanations as part of a current episode.

survivor

Banned
Screenshots from the Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun trailer released with this month's Dessert:
Looks pretty good.

Out of the 3 shoujo anime this fall, this will probably the only I will follow especially after the good reviews on mangaf. For the other two, I will probably only read the manga since I don't have the patience for slowjo to do their thing.

Kuroko no Basket 21

H54yC.gif

I liked this episode. Training arc episode, but it had funny moments and everyone was fun to watch. The cooking match was fun and the training bit was good as well.

More of these episodes please!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Smile Precure 27

WDygpl.jpg

:p

LcfYSl.png

I don't know why, but this shot of the hand looked a bit weird to me for some reason.

YnZdnl.jpg

Why even have the pretence of secrecy at this point? This show. :p

gEhhfl.jpg

And yeah, madpierrot was right about the :firehawk. lol

I guess it's four more episodes until the next big event, so now we just have the old standbys. Beach, Tanabata, Mountains, Haunted House... what's left for the summer tropes?

Looks pretty good.

Out of the 3 shoujo anime this fall, this will probably the only I will follow especially after the good reviews on mangaf. For the other two, I will probably only read the manga since I don't have the patience for slowjo to do their thing.
Do any of the shoujo break out of the "sexy man saves the heroine even though she's strong" mould? :p

Narag

Suteneko Tora-chan

1947 short movie about a homeless kitten adopted by a family, one sibling running off due to envy of the new addition, and the kitten doing what he can to rescue her. It's a super cute musical with a good score that helps set the tone throughout like other animated works of the time.

There's also some apparent cultural/historical importance to this and the man behind it but alas I'm woefully underqualified to talk about that part.

BluWacky

Do any of the shoujo break out of the "sexy man saves the heroine even though she's strong" mould? :p

Two of them are romances so it doesn't really apply. You'll probably want to avoid Kami-sama Hajimemashite (the lead suffers from damsel-in-distress syndrome despite being a shrine god, being bailed out of sticky situations by a sexy spirit) but Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun is a romcom and Suki-tte Ii Na Yo is a melodrama like Bokura ga Ita et al.

Speaking of sexy men saving strong heroines - or not:

Utena 36

Utena tells Touga she's never been to the arena at night, so why does the Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku stock footage begin with it being nighttime? fushigi mystery~

Lots of interesting things to see in this episode:

Touga and Saionji get the white roses! I suppose their intentions are truly noble when they challenge Utena.

As Saionji speeds round the arena he clutches his hand where Touga bandaged it. Bless him and his psychoses.

While this duel is far better than Nanami's (remember her? The show sure doesn't...) I am a little baffled by it. Is it Touga who turns the cars on Utena? There aren't really any rules for the arena (unsurprisingly) but I had always assumed it was Akio (or maybe Anthy) controlling what actually happened, and it wouldn't make any sense for the cars to turn on Utena when she is so close to gaining the power. If Anthy is behind it I suppose it makes the "betrayal" of her sleeping with Akio the more powerful because Utena has yet again proven her commitment to protecting Anthy, but I'm still not sure what the point was other than it looking cool (maybe that IS the only point)

One DVD left to go!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Two of them are romances so it doesn't really apply. You'll probably want to avoid Kami-sama Hajimemashite (the lead suffers from damsel-in-distress syndrome despite being a shrine god, being bailed out of sticky situations by a sexy spirit) but Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun is a romcom and Suki-tte Ii Na Yo is a melodrama like Bokura ga Ita et al.
Hmm, is Tonari anything like KnT then?

---

White Knight Chronicles 8
cDwiol.jpg

So there are two white knights now? And one of them is literally in white!

This show has gotten so unbelievably boring. It's not even despicable like it was when it first started. :(

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Kokoro Connect 05:

Heartseed needs falcon punched in the dick by a freight train about a thousand times.

Sword Art Online 8
tumblr_m9bslsBQl01qzd219o1_500.gif

Kirito is really amazing with his new sword, loved every moment he was swinging it. Spinning, and then those moments when they swiftly flash three images of him using it subsequently always get me excited.

Asuna was right at one point in the episode, Cooking in SAO is oversimplifed, so its boring. I wasn't expecting something on the level of Yumeiro Patissierre SP but certainly more than a tap and a poof. She's still boring herself and still dont see how she assits Kirito, beyond just making him do all these funny faces and emotions, who is more than capable of taking on any challenge, even if he is beater status. Regardless the whole dungeon portion was fun and the duel decent
too bad it was only one hit and just basically serves to make him seem like some future baddie that may show up again with that guild they seemed to hint at I guess

Sword Art Online 8

Very good episode; easily the best of them all. Of course, the main reason for this is that it finally returned to the main story, which is far more interesting than the SS episodes that have plagued the first third of the show.

Although still slightly rushed, the pacing in this episode was much improved. The action scenes were quite good this time around, although still riddled with a few too many still shots. The background art was fantastic once again, as this remains the best quality of SAO.

Kirito's relationship with Asuna is developing quite nicely; she is so much better than the other girls it's ridiculous. The story is leading into the best parts of the first arc, so the next few episodes should be great, as long as they're adapted relatively well.

Sword Art Online 08

Plus to the nice background in the beginning fight and basically the dungeons in general.

Boo to the boring plot.

Unimpressed that cooking is boring too.

Don't care about the stalker and his problems.

Boring guild problems too.

The action isn't even cool anymore when all I know it can be is flashy sword swings.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Kokoro Connect 06:

I should feel more outraged about
getting bait-and-switched on the body swap premise since that was the entire reason that I was interested in this show in the first place
, but
everyone having no inhibitions or capacity for forethought
is pretty interesting, I guess. At the breakneck pace that this show is steamrolling through character dramaz I guess that they backed themselves into a corner by
forcing the body swap concept to its logical extreme too quickly
, which is unfortunate because there were presumably many more clever directions to take it in if not every scenario had to result in feels or deeper mutual understanding or whatever.

Of course, I say this from the standpoint of someone who vastly prefers lighthearted romantic comedy to the more serious perpetual soul-bearing and tear-shedding and whatnot that dominates Kokoro Connect, so I might not be the intended audience for this anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom