• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Guys, if you stop talking to Novid, maybe he'll go away.

Novid, if you have nothing to do on a Friday night, don't come here and post your rants which have nothing to do with anime.

Thanks to all.

This sounds entirely too sensible.
But it lets them dramatically smash to credits!
Right, which is something other shows have done to good effect. However, here, it doesn't work at all because the music never fits what's going on on-screen.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Right, which is something other shows have done to good effect. However, here, it doesn't work at all because the music never fits what's going on on-screen.
Yeah, honestly, I don't remember that specific usage because it's been a couple of years, but it usually works out well!
I know I love it when it happens in Aria..

Jex

Yeah, honestly, I don't remember that specific usage because it's been a couple of years, but it usually works out well!
I know I love it when it happens in Aria..

You don't have to remember the specific usage. Just imagine those Aria cuts, but imagine the music being butt-rock electric guitar, Dynasty Warriors style.

It's basically that appropriate.

Cwarrior

Gintama ep25

whaaatt a gintama episode that passes as being funny NaNi???? BaKaNa!!!!!!! Impossible

Just as I had lost the will to go on, as I wallowed in the pit of boredom with no end in sight to these filler hell episodes there came down a shining beacon of hope(this episode) and it told to stay strong, not to give up as it graced me with the precious gift of amusement.

death note parody episode captured the silliness of death note with added your usual great gintama dialogue.

first 24 episode of gintama had me passing out from boredom
rhLyI.gif

It's all so very very boring I would much rather watch double the amount of bleach filler episodes, it's not quite as bad as naruto filler but it's nothing to proud about when your canon is filler hell quality.

This episode was great, I hope theres more of these to make up for the 24 episode before.

This is the entire reason I dropped Brotherhood so early on, because of all the gags. They were stupid for the most part and felt incredibly forced. I enjoyed the original FMA anime because it was serious, and when it did use humor it wasn't always random gags that came out of no where.

fma1 was the same gag over and over.

"omg ed your so short"

"who you calling short, am not short"

"huh the short on is the full metal alchemist"

"eghh am not short"

wonzo

Banned
Hyouka 18

Yep, this wasn't as good as the last couple of amazing eps but I still enjoyed it. Although, I'm not sure whether I should be more amazed at Oreki getting interested in something on his own or the 2D helicopters! Maybe the later given the earlier use of CG crowds during the Festival Arc.

It looks like this
budding romance thing between Chitanda and Oreki at the end of the episode will play a greater role in the next one if the preview is anything to go by.

Gintama ep25

whaaatt a gintama episode that passes as being funny NaNi???? BaKaNa!!!!!!! Impossible

Just as I had lost the will to go on, as I wallowed in the pit of boredom with no end in sight to these filler hell episodes there came down a shining beacon of hope(this episode) and it told to stay strong and not give up as it graced me with the precious gift of amusement.

death note parody episode captured the silliness of death note with added your usual great gintama dialogue.

rhLyI.gif

It's all so very very boring I would much rather watch double the amount of bleach filler episodes, it's not quite as bad as naruto filler but it's nothing to proud about when your canon is filler hell quality.

This episode was great, I hope theres more of these to make up for the 24 episode before.
You've made it through the worst (and one of the very best episodes), it's all pretty much uphill from here!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gintama ep25

Just as I had lost the will to go on, as I wallowed in the pit of boredom with no end in sight to these filler hell episodes there came down a shining beacon of hope(this episode) and it told to stay strong and not give up as it graced me with the precious gift of amusement.

http://i.imgur.com/rhLyI.gif

This episode was great, I hope there more of these to make up for the 24 episode before.

Why would you continue for so long if you found the last 24 episodes boring? lol
I applaud your tenacity!

You don't have to remember the specific usage. Just imagine those Aria cuts, but imagine the music being butt-rock electric guitar, Dynasty Warriors style.

It's basically that appropriate.
Haha, was it Shunkan Sentimental? All I remember is using that as a workout song for a while, so I guess I can understand how you feel about it ruining a moment. lol

Why would you continue for so long if you found the last 24 episodes boring? lol
I applaud your tenacity!

Hard to drop things when literally everyone is praising it. You end up feeling insecure about yourself, wondering if something's wrong with you. Then you get fat because you're all depressed and stuff and end up having a fight with a trucker guy at a Dunkin Donuts.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

"omg ed your so short"

"eghh am not short"
One of the reasons I was never that fond of the show. It's actually worse than what you put there though, because the opening line is always some unrelated reference to something's height.

Jex

"omg ed your so short"

"eghh am not short"
As you so aptly point out it was pretty painful in the original Full Metal Alchemist as well. I was just happier to forgive such annoyances because the rest of the show was so good or at least I thought it was at the time. If I revisited it I may well dislike it.

Uchip

Banned
As you so aptly point out it was pretty painful in the original Full Metal Alchemist as well. I was just happier to forgive such annoyances because the rest of the show was so good or at least I thought it was at the time. If I revisited it I may well dislike it.

pretty sure thats the case
I tried watching it again and it was quite a slow grind (and the gags are definitely there)

Cwarrior

I applaud your tenacity!

It's been on my blacklog since it came out, at one point i did watch a random episode and found it funny back in 08, so it left a good impression on me.

I haven't been marathoning it really, it took me over 1year and half to get to episode 25, I did find gintama pretty useful as sedative to put me sleep if I had trouble going to sleep when I have work in the morning, 8 minutes of gintama is all it took so it wasn't all bad.

Damn, nostalgia is hell of a drug.

if you think fma:b gags are bad at least that had the decency to have some sort of variety in them, with fma1 it's the same awful half ass gag about ed being short then with him yelling in some annoying voice how his not short, it's repeated all the way through the entire 52eps.

It's shounen, bro, so you're not allowed to drop it until you've wanted to kill yourself for at least 200 episodes.

For most people, it's better to just never start into a shounen series. You need to be a certain type of human being to be able to tolerate the endless repetition which is characteristic of long-running shounen series.

Long-running magical girl series are actually quite similar in this regard, actually.

For most people, it's better to just never start into a shounen series. You need to be a certain type of human being to be able to tolerate the endless repetition which is characteristic of long-running shounen series.

Long-running magical girl series are actually quite similar in this regard, actually.

I'm sorry, how many shounens have you seen again, mister condescending?

Thoraxes

E7 AO - 17

I want to eat all the Pie-Pies. All of them.

They're taking a long time with all the mysteries, but they're really building everything up and doing elaborations on the world-building stuff really nicely. I'm genuinely intrigued how their world functions, and that alone is enough to make the episodes interesting for me. Hopefully though some things start to get answered.

Whether or not they're doing it right in terms of pacing can only really be seen once we get to THEEND though (harhar), I suppose. It's all good for me right now though. I like the universe.

And yet again, dat music.

"omg ed your so short"

"eghh am not short"
I really don't remember it being that bad. Sure, they joked about his height a lot, but it didn't detract much from the show.

Long-running shounen fans are the soap opera fans of the anime community. Okay, that's a bit unfair, since I'm sure the writing is better to a degree as are the production values.

Branduil

im just cant stand all this shit son.

I hate, HATE crunchyroll.

I hate the racist bastards over at Funi

I hate Saban as a business man and the bullshit he pulled with the WWE

I cant stand CN's CEO's.

Viz is a bunch of harvard CEO's with 5 inch dicks.

Cant stand the majority of the bronies.

I have a love hate relationship with some of the Toku-fans (mostly hate on the PR side but thats not my fault)

Sentai shouldnt even exist.

Warners Suddenly went toothless and balless, and now DC want a A-KO kid but they were back slapping the mangaka when half of them wishes they were managka.

Sony pisses me off by closing Liverpool and then close their PC disk making offices?

Apple keeps winning so the fuck much why the fuck am I even investing in the fucking market?

ibtmMmMiY78gWr.gif

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
True, but it is based on the same source material, and this being anime, I can't hold out hope that they won't go there.
It doesn't really go there, wonzo just picked those panels to be amusing.

For the most part Maoyuu is economics sprinkled with plot and character antics.

I'm sorry, how many shounens have you seen again, mister condescending?

It wasn't a statement which was meant to be condescending. But if you tell me I have to actually watch all 300+ episodes of Bleach or something before I can comment on shounen, then fuck that shit. I won't do it, it doesn't remotely interest me at all.

My experience with shounen animes is limited to various bits of Dragon Ball Z and Inuyasha, never more than a dozen episodes at most of each. I did actually finish the entirety of the original FMA series though. I don't remember that much about FMA honestly, I'm pretty sure I thought it was pretty good though otherwise I wouldn't have finished it.

It wasn't a statement which was meant to be condescending. But if you tell me I have to actually watch all 300+ episodes of Bleach or something before I can comment on shounen, then fuck that shit. I won't do it, it doesn't remotely interest me at all.

My experience with shounen animes is limited to various bits of Dragon Ball Z and Inuyasha, never more than a dozen episodes at most of each. I did actually finish the entirety of the original FMA series though. I don't remember that much about FMA honestly, I'm pretty sure I thought it was pretty good though otherwise I wouldn't have finished it.

I never said you have to watch 300 episodes of anything. I just ask you don't make sweeping generalizations on a topic you know little about.

And it's best not to judge an entire genre on vapid bullshit like Inuyasha.

Uchip

Banned

so your frame of reference for an entire genre is based on dragon ball Z and Inuyasha?

wonzo

Banned
Well, that doesn't give me much hope for the show being any good.
It's pretty much a running joke about her misguided insecurities over her breast size. To dismiss an entire show over such a trivial thing seems silly, especially considering the heavy focus on the war between Humans and Demons and the economic, agricultural and political implications of the never ending conflict.

Branduil

Patema Inverted: Beginning of the Day 4

This episode has extremely smart shot selection. That last shot in particular, with the slow pan downwards as Age has to transition from thinking about what he just experienced to his everyday life. They're certainly not being subtle about the totalitarian themes, but that's not necessarily bad. The
conveyer belts
were a nice example of visual metaphor.

This was a good example of using sound design for humor. Between this and Time of Eve it's obvious that Yoshiura is a director who's very aware of sound design and how it complements visual works.

And now we have to wait for the actual movie to be released.

It's pretty much a running joke about her misguided insecurities over her breast size. To dismiss an entire show over such a trivial thing seems silly, especially considering the heavy focus on the war between Humans and Demons and the economic, agricultural and political implications of the never ending conflict.
This is new and exciting.

I still enjoy boob jokes.

Branduil

Well, it's a pretty terrible joke that is way overused in anime. It's possible for shows to have bad jokes and still be good, but it's usually a bad sign when a work relies on such "humor."

Okay, you got me. What's a "good" example of shounen which I only have to watch about 10 episodes of which then qualifies me to talk about shounen in Animu-GAF?

Hunter x Hunter, Blue Exorcist, Busou Renkin, Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, D.Gray Man, Groove Adventure Rave, Law of Ueki, Soul Eater, Tokyo Underground, Toriko.

Take your pick.

Hunter x Hunter, Blue Exorcist, Busou Renkin, Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, D.Gray Man, Groove Adventure Rave, Law of Ueki, Soul Eater, Tokyo Underground, Toriko.

Take your pick.

You know them better than I do. You pick and tell me which episodes to watch. I'll look into it after at some point I'm caught up with Yuru Yuri.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Hard to drop things when literally everyone is praising it. You end up feeling insecure about yourself, wondering if something's wrong with you. Then you get fat because you're all depressed and stuff and end up having a fight with a trucker guy at a Dunkin Donuts.
This is my life. I hope you are happy animeGAF. You did this to me.

Defuser

Accel World ep 20
Haruyuki hardening up and looking for vengence? Massive improvement.

Can't wait for next week for Scarlet rain. Make it rain!

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I can't stop thinking that this sounds very pretentious and boring.

One Piece Movie 4

That was pretty fun. Nowhere near the total package like the sixth movie but still a good adventure. Thanks to those who brought it up.

Hmmm, maybe you should check out movie 10 after all. You might be lost on some of the greater implications it has on the main story, but everything else might be to your liking. Take a look at the trailer and see if that seems like it would interest you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom