• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novid

Banned
Frustrating, I know, but it sounds like the sort of thing you should take a step or two away from so you're not so personally invested. It's a bunch of unneeded stress.

I thought about that so many times. I might do that soon. I mean X-Com is coming up, i will be getting a website ready soon so...

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
You know i feel that saban is coming back in to a business he nearly burned to the ground 15 years before?

Pretty damn pissed.

But yet anime was the only way out of his bullshit.

but then it become the crux that every us animation studio used to go to CGI.

so now, the dude that destroyed the industry way back when,

has come back taken over the dude that brought everybody to the fucking genre in the first place.

How should I feel when half the US fanbases are heading to pedo/furry ville and the other side accept him back as some savior?

My only reconipence that the kids today arnt gonna aceept his shit wholesale, but the problem is they watching HBO and Sho with parents no older than us. This shit is a fucking joke.
What...?

Sorry I dispatch fuel on the Gulf Coast and it is extremely busy tonight keeping stores fueled up so I havent been around.
That is a ridiculously cute design! Marvelous.
Tell Ruroni she needs some meat. Just do it, please.

cajunator

Banned
Cajun, since you don't appear to be in the chat, if you see this please advise if you approve of this design for the character to appear on your Seal of Cute.

Cajun_seal_design_v2.jpg

Sorry I dispatch fuel on the Gulf Coast and it is extremely busy tonight keeping stores fueled up so I havent been around.
That is a ridiculously cute design! Marvelous.

Novid

Banned

4,000 Virgins went to a brony con some weeks ago.
Several Hasbro Items went on sale on comic con about a month back and only the Pony item sold out.
Had arguments with them that the show just pretty much is overrated and is the tombstone of the the animation industry and people took it the wrong way.

the side that support Saban are those CoD fanboys who liked MMPR before but didnt care he was just as lucky as Al Kahn was with Pokemon, but i felt Kahn was better than Saban because Saban has hollywood connections and Kahn went his own way.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Sword Art Online 7

That's fine, Kirito. You can keep Asuna, and I'll just take Liz as my waifu.

Man, the whole thing with Yolko in the previous episode was so stupid. "Oh, wow, she's not dead! And she's been in your friends list all this time!" C'mon.

Tomat

4,000 Virgins went to a brony con some weeks ago.
Several Hasbro Items went on sale on comic con about a month back and only the Pony item sold out.
Had arguments with them that the show just pretty much is overrated and is the tombstone of the the animation industry and people took it the wrong way.

the side that support Saban are those CoD fanboys who liked MMPR before but didnt care he was just as lucky as Al Kahn was with Pokemon, but i felt Kahn was better than Saban because Saban has hollywood connections and Kahn went his own way.

So you're mad because MLP exists?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Gosenzosama Banbanzai 1-3

Oshii on crack. It's like an animated stage-play of super bizzare proportions. They really don't make anime like they used to. :/ Sometimes stuff that's just flat out bizarre like this is all the more awesome for it's incomprehensibility. Whoever greenlit this production, you have balls! Great stuff!

Novid

Banned
So you're mad because MLP exists?

Im mad MLP isnt the show for little girls anymore. Im mad that 4Chan cares more about a animation error than any other issue in the show. Im mad because the ad men had a slam dunk with Thundercats unlike anything they have ever seen and because two CEO's in CN stated lied about certain issues, they pushed everything out for Level Up. Thats what im pissed about.

Uchip

Banned
Im mad MLP isnt the show for little girls anymore. Im mad that 4Chan cares more about a animation error than any other issue in the show. Im mad because the ad men had a slam dunk with Thundercats unlike anything they have ever seen and because two CEO's in CN stated lied about certain issues, they pushed everything out for Level Up. Thats what im pissed about.

I have no idea what you're talking about for the most part
but I agree that its overrated as hell by its fans

Gosenzosama Banbanzai! 1-3

This is one crazy OVA series. I'm going to have to rewatch it to try to grasp it, but my initial impressions are very favorable. I especially enjoy all the stage play touches, like descending into and rising from the pit, and the character designs. Despite being exhausted, it managed to keep my attention through the reams of confusing, abstract dialogue, which means it must be doing something right. Glory be to Oshii and all that.

duckroll

Guys, if you stop talking to Novid, maybe he'll go away.

Novid, if you have nothing to do on a Friday night, don't come here and post your rants which have nothing to do with anime.

Thanks to all.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Hurricane Isaac is heading right toward the area I am dispatching so people are buying gas like crazy.

Yeah its really cute!
I have something in the works for art trade.
Maybe we can outdo Shaft :p

Yikes! Good luck and stay safe buddy!

I don't know if anyone can outdo Shaft, but we can try.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
This is personally still one of my favorite episodes of the show. I actually thought the story to it was okay and it really does have nice background and set-piece artwork to it.

As for the spoilered, I can't really remember, I think it might have been
as just keeping tradition? It might have been they felt because she was so much stronger than them she was worthy of it but they still were not?
Unfortunately I can't really remember anymore.

I do agree about your second point though, although I actually think they look kind of cool a little. It was kind of funny in a way with
if you see my face I have to kill you
, makes them seem kind of hardcore haha.

Don't worry about what I spoilered, my bullet point questions are usually rhetorical anyway, hah. Saint Seiya Omega is fairly low on the list of series that I feel any particular desire to apply real-world logic to, it's just fun to point out absurdities sometimes.

You haven't watched all of Doremi yet, have you

That's something that I'm probably less inclined to watch for Umakoshi art than for SatoJun-directed mahou shoujo goodness. I'm saving it back as a reserve ray of sunshine for when I finally complete Sailor Moon SuperS and Sailor Stars and the feeling of loss begins to set in.

I don't think the art/animation really varies drastically within episodes as much as between episodes; the top-notch ones are really top notch while the bottom-tier ones are ugly throughout. This is definitely a "skip around to the highlights" kind of show. 3 is one of the good episodes, thanks to Rie Matsumoto. I actually liked the story in that episode and how it handled Yuna's character.

Episode three was generally very nice-looking, however there were a few shots that were ruined by horrible CG fire like this that gave me cause to argue that the episode ran the gamut from ugly to beautiful.

I too was impressed with how Yuna's character was introduced and developed in the span of a single episode. Her ethereal flashback sequence was really a deft way of filling the viewer in on her internal struggle over wearing the mask in a brief amount of time, and it's always nice to see a female character strong enough to
willfully disobey authority and have a strong sense of personal justice

Tradition, and such. It is certainly sexist, but it's a holdover from the original series that I suppose they felt they had to deal with in some fashion.

Sure, I didn't mean to express actual offense over that particular plot point. My bullet points are always meant to be less serious than my actual paragraph-form episode reviews, but I think I may have went overboard with sounding truly taken aback, hah. Given the franchise's long history, I think it's safe to assume that the majority of plot points that I find quaint or outdated can be chalked up to tradition.

There is actually a video game coming out for PSP.

Now I'm curious as to the extent of the show's product lines. Are cloths being marketed to children? Weapons? I certainly don't think that the franchise is being revived without the expectation of it generating lots of revenue.

They aren't all Japanese actually. Souma's home has been shown already and it was in some Spanish speaking country and Yuna's hometown was in some snow land clearly different from Japan.

Definitely, I'm aware that Souma doesn't actually live in Japan, but based on the names they're all likely ethnically Japanese, though. It's not a point that genuinely bothers me or anything, of course, and I know that it's an easy way to make characters more identifiable to viewers.

Or maybe because it's a franchise from the 80s that did the same thing.

eh, I can only draw conclusions based on what I'm familiar with. Namely, the four episodes of SSO that I've seen.

cajunator

Banned
No worries, i'm not in the hurricane warning area, I just dispatch that area.

Anyway, I was looking through Kana Hanazawa's list of roles and she is in a lot more shows than I realized!

Dresden

Gosenzosama Banbanzai! 1-3

This is one crazy OVA series. I'm going to have to rewatch it to try to grasp it, but my initial impressions are very favorable. I especially enjoy all the stage play touches, like descending into and rising from the pit, and the character designs. Despite being exhausted, it managed to keep my attention through the reams of confusing, abstract dialogue, which means it must be doing something right. Glory be to Oshii and all that.

Gosenzosama Banbanzai 1-3

Oshii on crack. It's like an animated stage-play of super bizzare proportions. They really don't make anime like they used to. :/ Sometimes stuff that's just flat out bizarre like this is all the more awesome for it's incomprehensibility. Whoever greenlit this production, you have balls! Great stuff!

Always reminded me of a puppet show somewhat due to way it's set as a stage, but especially due to the designs & utsunomiya's work. I remember there being a focus on sweeping movement of the limbs (especially noticeable in that scene where he runs across the roofs of the cars), and combined with the joints and the designs where you could almost see the seams peeking in around the mouths... it goes with the ideas it explores later on, as well.

The show is so odd, but there's a great slapstick sense of humor to it at first, although it gets supplanted as it goes by the sheer surreality of it all. I think I'm due for a rewatch; there's probably much that I've missed.

Jex

Having finished Turn A Gundam i have to say.

Dianna
& Kihel
>Relena>>Marina Ismail

Well that's not surprising, really. Gundam 00, like many Gundam shows, has a pretty bad cast. Apart from Graham Aker.
Mobile Suit Gundam ep1
Art that old kind of bothers me sometimes. Good first episode though.

Brad Swaile gets around in Gundam Dubs; Quatre, Setsuna, Amuro
he does a pretty good job making them sound different.

That kind of comment usually attracts some attention in this thread. It looks like you were lucky.

Jex

[FMA:Brotherhood] - 46

FMAB-461.png

Oh look, it's Winry again! And she's taking off her clothes/hitting people with wrenches. Wacky! I thought we'd moved beyond such gags and scenarios. I guess not, they even use this kind of imagery to portray it:

FMAB-462.png

This kind of shot, where the character is portrayed centre of the frame with absolutely no attempt at background art just serves to remind you that, yes, this has been adapted from a manga. I suppose this is all supposed to 'lighten the mood' before we move towards the shows climax (which still seems to be quite far away) but I find it to be a distracting break in the tone of the show.

Speaking of distracting elements that break my immersion in the show:

FMAB-466.png

This brief moment of Riza fanservice during the final montage just felt our of place and forced, like it fell from a different show. I know we've had 'shower scenes' before this, but they felt dumb too.

Also, whatever genius decided they should start playing the beginning of the ED track over the final moments of the episode should be shot. Especially when it's this really shitty sound electric guitar nonsense that has no tonal connection to the events on screen.

Just awful.

Tomat

[FMA:Brotherhood] - 46Oh look, it's Winry again! And she's taking off her clothes/hitting people with wrenches. Wacky! I thought we'd moved beyond such gags and scenarios.
This is the entire reason I dropped Brotherhood so early on, because of all the gags. They were stupid for the most part and felt incredibly forced. I enjoyed the original FMA anime because it was serious, and when it did use humor it wasn't always random gags that came out of no where.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You're really set on making us know just how much you hate Ichiko, aren't you?
Just sayin'!

[FMA:Brotherhood] - 46
Also, whatever genius decided they should start playing the beginning of the ED track over the final moments of the episode should be shot. Especially when it's this really shitty sound electric guitar nonsense that has no tonal connection to the events on screen.

Just awful.
But it lets them dramatically smash to credits!

Jex

This is the entire reason I dropped Brotherhood so early on, because of all the gags. They were stupid for the most part and felt incredibly forced. I enjoyed the original FMA anime because it was serious, and when it did use humor it wasn't always random gags that came out of no where.

Well they had basically dropped that entire style of presenting humour about half-way through the show and it only re-appeared in this episode, which is why I singled it out.

She's a least more tolerable than Anthy for you right, haha.

Well, while I didn't like Anthy as much in the first few episodes but not as much as you seem to, I find she becomes a pretty interesting character. It's also interesting to see how she's portrayed in the movie in comparison to how she is in the TV show.
Indeed! I'm really struggling to think of an anime character that's nearly as offputting as Anthy has been. Maybe Rolo from Code Geass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom