• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT2| Of Suspended Anime Due To Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
E7-17

I would like this series much more if it didn't tie into the original E7 franchise. This really feels like a project that was tied last minute into E7.

Accel World 20
tumblr_m9a65jVV0S1qbxqfpo2_500.png

I think this whole Nomi, Taku, Haru arc is really good. The opening battle was alright and good for Nomi faces
and even for Haru with that aspect that was only hinted at way longer ago about that Chrome Disaster they fought way back when finally affected Haru
, but I really love all the out of Accel World school stuff going on. Taku was hilarious and brave and definitely willing to talk at all times(good moment) to Haru about all of this. Their lines for Chiyu were hilarious, "Chiyu has no game sense", "Chiyu could even get destroyed in an RPG event battle if she wasn't careful."

Leave it to Nomi to actually leak that shower recording video to everyone and now Haru takes the blame and looks from everyone even getting beat up. Hopefully Taku can cheer him up, and it must really be hard to resist the urge to tell Kuroyukihime. Though the scene when he and her hugged was sweet.

Nomi's a good and cool antagonist, they really do a good job in making one dislike the dude.

Jarmel

Banned
Going to be awesome. iwanttobelieve.jpg

If you don't mind, could you expand on that? The projects Shiotani has directed has been for the most part either individual episodes or OVA/movies. I'm not really seeing anything that would give me confidence he could handle a major TV series. Wit is also a brand new studio for the most part so they're another unknown factor. Asano atleast for me is a known factor as the animation in Guilty Crown for the most part was absolutely fantastic(except for the damn CG mechs). I really want to be hyped for the show but there are a lot of unknowns.

duckroll

If you don't mind, could you expand on that? The projects Shiotani has directed has been for the most part either individual episodes or OVA/movies. I'm not really seeing anything that would give me confidence he could handle a major TV series. Wit is also a brand new studio for the most part so they're another unknown factor. Asano atleast for me is a known factor as the animation in Guilty Crown for the most part was absolutely fantastic(except for the damn CG mechs). I really want to be hyped for the show but there are a lot of unknowns.

Shiotani is an animator turned director with a great eye for unique visual styles. That alone makes it exciting when he's given a chance to direct more things. IG letting him direct a TV series right after Blood-C The Last Dark would also show that they have a lot of confidence in his work, which is a good thing. Wit Studio isn't an unknown factor at all though. They're basically the old IG Studio 6. They worked on Chevalier, Real Drive, Sengoku Basara, and most recently Guilty Crown. This is similar to how BONES was formed out of Sunrise Studio 2. The producer, and many of the animators just wanted their own studio brand. Wit Studio is founded and owned by IG Port, so isn't much of an ownership change either. :)

Considering Wit Studio was only officially established from April to June this year (I think they announced it in April and officially changed over the legal status in June), and Psycho-Pass has been in the works for over a year, there's almost no question that this started out as a Production IG project anyway, if any of this staff is actually confirmed that is.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sengoku Collection 21:

jEgBDl.jpg

How much misogyny can you fit into a single screencap?

So this week was Takeda Shingen, Tigress of Kai. Far from the bellicose roughneck masculinity that I'm used to in depictions of Takeda, her character in Sengoku Collection is really just your standard soft-spoken ara ara boobie monster
no ara aras are actually uttered, unfortunately
. It was a pretty bizarre episode--Takeda teams up with a talking coffee maker to take down a rogue AI on a Russian space station--but apart from one really sakuga fight scene, it wasn't a particularly interesting episode. Because neither Takeda nor coffee-kun have much in the way of a discernible personality, the excessive banter between the two as they roam the space station is never particularly witty or engaging. It was an episode of two rather simple character archetypes playing out their roles in an exotic setting.

At least the episode had anime Gorbachev.

faridmon

Mawaru Penguindrum ep 15 - 18

I honestly don't like where this is going. With all due respect to its production value, its intricate storyline and its attempt to give the characters a deep personality, the underlining theme is just really... Lets just say I am not enjoying it. Too many characters I am not fond of and the whole Penguin theme gets into my nerve.

Also, This is the side of Shojo which i don't like. I wish we had another season of Skip Beat! :(

Jarmel

Banned
Shiotani is an animator turned director with a great eye for unique visual styles. That alone makes it exciting when he's given a chance to direct more things. IG letting him direct a TV series right after Blood-C The Last Dark would also show that they have a lot of confidence in his work, which is a good thing. Wit Studio isn't an unknown factor at all though. They're basically the old IG Studio 6. They worked on Chevalier, Real Drive, Sengoku Basara, and most recently Guilty Crown. This is similar to how BONES was formed out of Sunrise Studio 2. The producer, and many of the animators just wanted their own studio brand. Wit Studio is founded and owned by IG Port, so isn't much of an ownership change either. :)

Considering Wit Studio was only officially established from April to June this year (I think they announced it in April and officially changed over the legal status in June), and Psycho-Pass has been in the works for over a year, there's almost no question that this started out as a Production IG project anyway, if any of this staff is actually confirmed that is.

Thanks for the analysis. So in other words there is a solid pedigree for the most part behind this. The thing that failed Guilty Crown was the writing, not so much the animators themselves. It also seems like Shiotani could help 'bring the world alive' which is always nice in sci-fi anime. If this is the confirmed staff list then it seems there's a decent chance it could be legitimately good. Hopefully they could for the most minimal amount of CG as possible though. Looking forward to future PVs then.

duckroll

Thanks for the analysis. So in other words there is a solid pedigree for the most part behind this. The thing that failed Guilty Crown was the writing, not so much the animators themselves. It also seems like Shiotani could help 'bring the world alive' which is always nice in sci-fi anime. If this is the confirmed staff list then it seems there's a decent chance it could be legitimately good. Hopefully they could for the most minimal amount of CG as possible though. Looking forward to future PVs then.

Most of my interest in the project is not so much in the staff, but in the premise combined with the fact that the staff which seems likely so far have a lot of experience doing this sort of show, yeah. It's going to be a dystopian sci-fi detective anime with adult characters who are part of a police task force, the government system seems to be a oppressive sort where society has limited rights, and there are cool futuristic gun designs. It sounds like a total playground for Gen Butch to write the sort of stuff he's good at, and being an original anime it won't be held back by bad source material. IG has a lot of experience with this sort of shows too, so I'm pretty hopeful. I think there will probably be quite a bit of CG though, so that part might be a bit too much to hope for. Lol.

Jarmel

Banned
Most of my interest in the project is not so much in the staff, but in the premise combined with the fact that the staff which seems likely so far have a lot of experience doing this sort of show, yeah. It's going to be a dystopian sci-fi detective anime with adult characters who are part of a police task force, the government system seems to be a oppressive sort where society has limited rights, and there are cool futuristic gun designs. It sounds like a total playground for Gen Butch to write the sort of stuff he's good at, and being an original anime it won't be held back by bad source material. IG has a lot of experience with this sort of shows too, so I'm pretty hopeful. I think there will probably be quite a bit of CG though, so that part might be a bit too much to hope for. Lol.

Oh definitely. It's straight up Gen's alley in both theme and setting. I also have a big weakness for any sort of scifi show. He should definitely have a lot of creativity when it comes to how he slaughters the characters. The fact that we're getting another adult anime is worth cheering in of itself. Hopefully the guns aren't CG as that might drive me up the wall.

Has there been any predictions/rumors based off the music sample as to who the composer is?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Eureka 17 was whatever, but I think this is the first time that the preview was completely
voiceless
. I wonder if that means anything.

Jarmel

Banned
Eureka 17 was whatever, but I think this is the first time that the preview was completely
voiceless
. I wonder if that means anything.

I noticed that too. Also the way that it was framed seemed they were hiding something. My guess is something really major is going to happen.

Binbou-gami Ga! 8 -

Titty-ko is one of the worst people I have ever seen in fiction. Am I supposed to like her? Am I supposed to feel sorry for her? They keep trying to frame her in a sympathetic light but god damn.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I noticed that too. Also the way that it was framed seemed they were hiding something. My guess is something really major is going to happen.

Yeah, they kept
cutting to the sloth eating over and over again. It made it seem like it was going to be a comedy thing or something.

Eureka Seven AO 17
tumblr_m9a9fm25rf1rxnd6mo2_500.png

Always a good episode when TRUTH and Ao are the focus.
The Johannes book backstory was really compelling as well as the gun going off and acting on its own. Is the Secret still talking through George, is Ao really the only one that realizes this?

I guess concurrently watching Eureka Seven gave me greater appreciation for the
Eureka backstory scene there and they finally actually said Renton's name

Nice ep. And I miss hearing ao say TSUZUKU, in eng dub to be continued sounds so bland and boring.

Binbou-gami Ga! 8 -

Titty-ko is one of the worst people I have ever seen in fiction. Am I supposed to like her? Am I supposed to feel sorry for her? They keep trying to frame her in a sympathetic light but god damn.

Titty-ko is a truly contemptible being. She really needs to experience a special level of suffering.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Watch it turn out to be a recap episode. Lol.
That'd be perfect. In fact, I hope it is!

---

Moyashimon 8
5GpYCl.jpg

You know what, I'd rather have them just straight up tell me that instead of the weird thing that happened in Space Brothers were I had no idea if they were speaking English or Japanese.
I take it that this arc is going to finish up the rest of the season though, with three episodes left. I wonder if it'll be as climatic as the jdrama ending. lol

Ginga 16
7xIkml.jpg

Oh hey, they devoted an episode to the three guys that no one has cared about until now. Yay!

wonzo

Banned
Patema Inverted: Beginning of the Day 4 END

Well, these little prologue shorts certainly succeeded in getting me hyped for the movie. I guess we wont find out whether this is actually the beginning of the movie or something separate until the movie actually comes out. The wait's gonna be pretty painful. :(

A Day Ends

Them chicks get drunk as hell in every episode.
The way of life for the modern day Ronin is one of alcohol induced escapism from the harsh reality of unemployment. A rather wistful and fleeting existence.

Campione 8
tumblr_m9aeq13Kv91qbxqfpo1_500.png

The beach episode portion was definitely a waste of time, Salvatore could have at least joined them on the beach...oh well at least there was Godou.

Of all the takes of Perseus, I guess I had too high of expectation for the one in this universe. Sure hes alright but he is no, movie version, of Perseus :/ they could have made this one here look a bit better.

Episode Ending spoiler
Godou taking an arrow to the heart, hopefully Salvatore comes and saves him, Perseus is way powerful if he truly can seal Campiones abilities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom